Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/21/2007 10:09 PM CST
>>KURRASOE, you can't act like a board monitor and have people not respond. Not everyone follows your posting philosophy. Sorry if you were offended by other's feedback, but your replies are getting a bit ridiculous.

I never said you should be like me. Read carefully. I provided reasoning for acting a certain way. Now I'm an offended person that was acting like a board monitor? Please. I'm unoffendable. I merely provided a defensible argument, and it was responded to with mostly whining and vague insult.

As far as that goes, so it's board monitors and off-topic replies being a bad thing (and me now I guess) against everyone else? I don't think everybody loves to look for information under a suggested improvement to a spell and fight this sort of thing, but fine.

Stop replying, and I will. I can't just sit back and not defend my own self. No longer are we speaking of an argument or a point / opinion.

Your name-calling aside...

It would be nice if I could argue, agree to disagree, and still be friends.

BTW thanks Serc, I think you are that type of guy.

There I moved it to conflicts, which is the only way I think I can describe this.
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/21/2007 10:15 PM CST
lol, the first time I post and you're in conflict with me? I was just trying to get you to think about what you're doing, which was act like a board monitor and tell other people that they shouldn't reply. I know its hard to see your idea criticized, but you need to take it in stride man...

ps - I think you confused me with another poster.
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/21/2007 10:22 PM CST
>>ps - I think you confused me with another poster.

I was using the time to make a side-comment to Serc, who isn't you.

>>lol, the first time I post and you're in conflict with me?

Name-calling, taking it personal... that's what it very much seemed like you were up to there.

>>which was act like a board monitor

Disagree. And, see the above. I just like to try and follow the rules, and... see the below.

>>and tell other people that they shouldn't reply

Sorry you feel that way. Just trying to save folks from looking for something in a post and finding a few dead horses instead.

>>take it in stride man

As I said, I'm not easily offended at all. I just wish folks could take a defensible argument for what it is and go from there. Oh well.

Sorry if we misjudged/miscommunicated somewhere there.
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/22/2007 12:20 AM CST
I think you should complain about something if it bothers you. That is just part of the beauty we call the American Dream. Where would we be if Jesus, MLK, George Washington, Plato or Stolas had never said anything?

And by the way, I still think Cealunia smells funny.

Shadowmancer Stolas, Darkling of the Progeny

"Moon Mages have already been given some of the most ridiculously powerful magic in the game, third only to Warrior Mages and Barbarians" -Armifer
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/22/2007 12:46 PM CST
Yeah, next time someone criticizes my post, I'm just going to tell them that they are off-topic and that they can e-mail me if they want to continue the discussion. That way, it will appear that no one disagrees with me.

X
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/22/2007 01:54 PM CST
>>Sorry you feel that way. Just trying to save folks from looking for something in a post and finding a few dead horses instead.

See, this is the holier-than-thou attitude that's problematic. It's not your job to determine what's on topic and what's not.

A discussion goes where you don't expect because the places it goes is an important thing to discuss, with respect to the original post. If it doesn't, then it's the duty of the board monitor to ask us to make a new thread, to bump it to another folder, or whatever.

Declaring something off-topic, especially when others disagree, is terrible argumentative form.

-- Holy Scholar Diarik Erasto, Arcane Researcher, in search of spiritweaving.
http://www.rangerrawb.com/wiki/index.php/User:Diarik
http://www.livejournal.com/users/pensive-spirit/
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/22/2007 02:42 PM CST
I could respond to any number of holier-than-thou comments, disrespectful tones, and/or name-calling you just threw out there, and have been, but it's not worth the space.

About argumentative form...

Some folks agree with you about me, and that's wonderful. ::shrug::

I will direct anybody to go offline when your point becomes less about real argument and more about your own pride.

A post which benefits nobody but yourself in what amounts to name-calling and a pissing contest is all about you and the idea that everybody just HAS to hear what you have to say, even though it really benefits, at the most, yourself and me. That seems to me something that only deserves some banter over e-mail and not here. That's my philosophy - you don't have to follow it, but don't waste time trying to tell me that it should be different.

Disagreement is fine, but folks stopped having a real argument. Had they, I would have responded rather than requesting offboards interaction.

Now, one thing you specifically said, Devan - about what it is and is not 'my job' to do.

>>It's not your job to determine what's on topic and what's not.

You see that link to the top right when you're writing a post? Let me help you - it's called "Posting Policy". Have you seen it before?

Let me help. Specifically:

"3. Post on topic."

And:

"2. "Count to 10" and post kindly. Messages should always maintain a respectful, civil tone towards one another. Name*-*calling and abuse is not allowed."

Of course, number 2 must not be very well moderated given the tone you think you need to take with me. Maybe Conflict folders are an exception to that particular rule?

It is my job to follow rules. They're not extremely tight, I've found, but still. I'll make a meager attempt to do so here. Next time I'll move it over here more quickly. Now, please, get over it.
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/22/2007 02:44 PM CST
Don't be a backseat mod. It discredits you and makes you look like a tool.

Rev. Reene

Sapphyr says, "Lighten up. Life isn't all magic hoodoo and funny chanting."
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/22/2007 02:49 PM CST
"and the idea that everybody just HAS to hear what you have to say"

But...they do.

-Serc

PS. Listen to me!

"Moon Mages have already been given some of the most ridiculously powerful magic in the game, third only to Warrior Mages and Barbarians" -Armifer
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/22/2007 02:58 PM CST
Thought I'd have some fun in the Conflicts area.

>>But...they do.

I'm sorry, that's an off-topic post and you must now be executed.

(c: Hey, if you can't have fun, why are you here?

Wait a minute, that makes this an off-topic post, and now I must be executed.

Dang it!
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/22/2007 03:14 PM CST
"and now I must be executed."

What do you know? Somthing we finaly agree on. Who says the conflicts folder is a waste of time?

-Serc

Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/22/2007 03:27 PM CST
That's alright. This is DR. Death doesn't mean too much when you get down to it.

::points at Serc::

You first.
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/22/2007 05:46 PM CST
>>Some folks agree with you about me, and that's wonderful. ::shrug::

If this is your idea of argumentative form, then you need to take a class in logic.

>>I will direct anybody to go offline when your point becomes less about real argument and more about your own pride.

I always love how people seem to know everything there is to know about the person they're speaking to. It's like magic. Is there an omniscience potion I didn't drink?

Why are you a traffic cop? Why is it your right to point people here and there? By what authority do you speak?

>>don't waste time trying to tell me that it should be different.

Why do you waste time trying to tell me that the way I post, and other that the way they post, should be different?

>>about what it is and is not 'my job' to do.

A job is not about following rules. A job is about taking proactive or reactive steps to accomplish a task. In the case of a Board Monitor, their job is to react to policy-violating posts and clarify particulars.

You are assuming the job of a Board Monitor.

>>You see that link to the top right when you're writing a post? Let me help you - it's called "Posting Policy". Have you seen it before?

4. Impersonating a staff member or message board monitor is expressly prohibited.

The rules apply to you when you post. They are not yours to enforce. If you want to dodge discussion, then that's your right. Pretending to take the moral high ground by citing rules that you don't follow (or do you count to ten every time you post?) is not argumentation.

>>Now, please, get over it.

You keep telling people what to do. Stop.

Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/22/2007 06:02 PM CST
>>If blah blah blah

Nope. I'll allow you the right to disagree with me - I hope you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

>>Blah blah blah person they're speaking to.

Most of what I said was directed to folks, not Devan, but whatever. I spoke of what I read.

I'm not pointing you anywhere, I'm just explaining MY posting philosophy. Stop calling me names, trying to tell me how I ought to act here, and we'll have no more problems.

>>Blah blah blah should be different?

If you'd rather I be rude and not respond to your posts when they don't have sufficient logical constructs nor make any sort of point, I can do that. I figured indicating it's not something worth responding to, but that I'd talk to it offline if you wanted, would be nicer.. :shrug:

>>A job is not about following rules.

::laugh::

>>Blah blah the job of a Board Monitor.

I'm defending my right to post in whatever way I want without being called names by somebody that can't even teach me how to count right. (c:

>>4. Blah blah

>> blah blah not yours to enforce blah blah

Provide real proof where I did this. See my last comments just above.

>>Pretending to take the moral high ground by citing rules that you don't follow (or do you count to ten every time you post?) is not argumentation.

Weak.

Now, please, get over it.
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/22/2007 10:33 PM CST
Funny thing with the ignore button... I'm often tempted, but I can never go through with it. Like with Wheller - he used to tempt me, but now I find him incredibly entertaining. Maybe its just me.
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/22/2007 10:40 PM CST
>>ignore button

I apply the ignore button liberally. What I don't do is tell people that I'm ignoring them--it just seems way too pre-school to me.

X
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/22/2007 11:41 PM CST
>> it just seems way too pre-school to me.

Kind of like the practice of deliberately baiting people into a conflict for the sole purpose of reporting them and getting them in trouble?

Rev. Reene

Sapphyr says, "Lighten up. Life isn't all magic hoodoo and funny chanting."
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/23/2007 12:00 AM CST
<<Kind of like the practice of deliberately baiting people into a conflict for the sole purpose of reporting them and getting them in trouble?

Lead the people by laws and regulate them by penalties and the people will try to keep out of jail , but they will have no sense of shame. Lead the people by virtue and restrain them by the rules of decorum, and the people will have a sense of shame, and moreover will become good.

--from the 2nd book of Tezirah

Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/23/2007 03:55 AM CST
>>--from the 2nd book of Tezirah

What happened to the recipes?

Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/23/2007 06:41 AM CST
>>--from the 2nd book of Tezirah

Nifty. Although mostly due to IC interaction with a certain two folks, my character has decided that the Progeny is where he belongs. Is this in TC somewhere? Ah well I'll find it I suppose.

Now, please, get over it.
Re: Response/Defense [WAS Re: Locate Addition] 02/23/2007 01:38 PM CST
Well, actually that is a quote from Confucious. There are no actual books written from Tezirah's perspective or from her cabal in game. According to Armifer even in the Tezirites Black Library all we get are Mortom's food receipes and cookbooks. In DR it is hard to be evil ... it is more like Disney G rated evil. There are no titles, fluff or just about anything for that matter that supports it, it is all left in the hands of players roleplaying.