curses not working 07/01/2017 01:02 PM CDT
--10 Shield Usage
--10 Large Edged
--10 Targeted Magic

Log off. Log on. Curse works. The number below is correct. not the number above.
--223 Shield Usage
--159 Large Edged
--229 Targeted Magi
Re: curses not working 03/18/2018 12:35 AM CDT

Curses still not working, only -10 ranks.

Is it hard to fix this? Or any intention to fix it?
Re: curses not working 03/18/2018 05:33 AM CDT
The GMs who typically fix most of the systems bugs are not the same (very small) batch that are required to read the forums, so you might want to do a BUG report in game. In-game BUG reports are automatically emailed to all of the development staff, and greatly increase the likelihood that your concern will be seen by the folks who address these things, and thus the speed at which a resolution might occur.

-Persida
Re: curses not working 03/18/2018 08:14 AM CDT

I am going to do that, thank you
Re: curses not working 03/19/2018 05:10 PM CDT
I just tested in prime, and didn’t need to log out/in to see a -277 rank curse. Can you tell me your full process, so I can see if I can reproduce the issue? What tool, what buffs, what ranks, how full the pool is, what syntax?

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: curses not working 03/19/2018 08:48 PM CDT
I don't think it's necessarily about curses, but rather about predicting on others, perhaps especially in a skill the MM has low ranks in. Here's one I just did:

Predictor: 1113 Astro, 0 LT, no buffs, capped bones, full pool.
Predictee: 1011 LT

> get bones
You get some divination bones of hazy blue mistglass from inside your haversack.

> align lt
You focus internally and align yourself for a prediction on Light Thrown.
Roundtime: 2 seconds.

> roll bones at seld
You cast your bones towards Seldaren.

The Krr-tich bounces twice and lands pointing directly towards you.
The Sek-rith falls flat on the ground pointing directly towards you.
The Moon Sphere comes to a stop with the top face depicting a throwing dagger.
The Sun Disk lands white side up.
You gather your bones back up.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

And then from Seldaren's perspective:

> exp mods
The following skills are currently under the influence of a modifier:
+10 Light Thrown
+47 Locksmithing
+292 Forging
Re: curses not working 03/19/2018 08:52 PM CDT
In fact, I think it's always calculating buff size based off the predictor rather than the predictee. Here's another one.

Predictor: 84 Engineering
Predictee: 1283 Engineering

Full pool, same astro as before, no buffs, same tool.

>align engin
You focus internally and align yourself for a prediction on Engineering.
Roundtime: 2 seconds.

>roll bones at seld
You cast your bones towards Seldaren.

The Krr-tich bounces three times and lands pointing directly towards you.
The Sek-rith bounces once and lands pointing directly towards you.
The Moon Sphere rolls to the right, then the left before comes to a stop with the top face depicting a catapult.
The Sun Disk lands white side up.
You gather your bones back up.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

>exp mods
The following skills are currently under the influence of a modifier:
+10 Light Thrown
+47 Locksmithing
+292 Forging
+15 Engineering

+15 is a little less than 20% of the predictor's Engineering, which is a plausible number for a capped roll.
Re: curses not working 03/19/2018 09:47 PM CDT
So, I kept digging and was able to reproduce the issue. It only occurs if the curse would exceed the global cap and is done to a different character (I mean, who would curse themselves except?).

The bonus is based on the predictor, and from what I can tell that is intended. The global cap is based on the predictee's skill, though.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: curses not working 03/20/2018 08:12 AM CDT
I've rolled a fix for this issue. Thanks to Grejuva for the quick QC.

Javac
That one guy

Re: curses not working 03/21/2018 10:37 AM CDT
Thanks a ton! This is the kind of thing that makes our guild awesome and I really appreciate you who love us enough to put in the work. Now we need to get some high quality mirrors for sell in an upcoming fest. Or more above average quality ones for sell regularly.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: curses not working 03/21/2018 12:17 PM CDT
All I can say is thank you so much. This one fix means so much to the moon mage guild. I just tested it and it worked. I'm not sure if everyone realized how crucial this ability was. You all are awesome!
Re: curses not working 03/24/2018 04:52 PM CDT
Thanks so much Javac!

I meant to ask before, what was meant by this statement:

>>The bonus is based on the predictor, and from what I can tell that is intended. The global cap is based on the predictee's skill, though.

"Based on the predictor" to me could mean it's based on my skill at predicting or my ranks in the target skill. Ultimately, do I bonus my target by up to 20% of MY skill or of HIS skill? For example, if I have 100 ranks of LT and my target has 1000, is the limit +20 (based on my skill) or +200 (based on his skill)?

And does it work the same for curses?

- Navesi
Re: curses not working 03/25/2018 12:02 AM CDT
>do I bonus my target by up to 20% of MY skill or of HIS skill? For example, if I have 100 ranks of LT and my target has 1000, is the limit +20 (based on my skill) or +200 (based on his skill)?

+20, assuming the potency of your prediction is high enough to hit the cap. In the reverse situation, it will attempt to bonus +200 and be limited to +20 due to global caps.

>And does it work the same for curses?

Yes.

Javac
That one guy

Re: curses not working 03/25/2018 09:06 AM CDT
Could that be revisited? To my knowledge, it's not how any other buff/debuff in the game works. If I cast CV on someone else, it's based entirely on their perception skill, not mine.
Re: curses not working 03/25/2018 10:37 AM CDT
>Could that be revisited?

I didn't make the decision, but I can see the logic behind it. Do you really want 1st level Moon Mages throwing +/-350 ranks around if they target someone with a capped skill?

>If I cast CV on someone else, it's based entirely on their perception skill, not mine.

If you cast CV, it's limited by your magic skills. More mana is a larger buff. It's not exactly the same, but your skills do still matter when casting traditional buffs on another character.

Javac
That one guy

Re: curses not working 03/25/2018 10:45 AM CDT
> If you cast CV, it's limited by your magic skills. More mana is a larger buff. It's not exactly the same, but your skills do still matter when casting traditional buffs on another character.

And my astrology skill and tool would still matter with predictions, no? A 1st level moonmage isn't going to hit max potency on a prediction.
Re: curses not working 04/01/2018 06:00 PM CDT
I agree that it would be nice if it were revisited. For example, I had no idea I'd need to train all the weapons in order to buff others in them.

>>I didn't make the decision, but I can see the logic behind it. Do you really want 1st level Moon Mages throwing +/-350 ranks around if they target someone with a capped skill?

Predictions are constrained by skill, much like spells. Possibly even more so. That 1st level mage would never hit potency cap.

Please reconsider!

- Navesi
Re: curses not working 04/18/2018 06:40 PM CDT
Suppose I want to curse or bonus another PC's log-tossing or basket-weaving skill. I'm good at cursing and bonusing stuff, but have no clue how to toss a log or weave a basket.

Couldn't the number of ranks (before the global cap) of bonus or curse they get be based on my Astrology instead of my log-tossing or basket-weaving skill?