And so it begins..(or had it already begun?)- CrossPost 05/23/2007 07:14 PM CDT
<<Cross-Posted from IC Fiction. http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=12&topic=13&message=99>>

Previously..

A slender Elven woman, roughly in her early 40's, leans against a tree just north of Crossing. Her thick, black dreadlocks dangle in the wind, forcing her to swat them out of the way so she can read. She had only moments ago found this piece of parchment. It seemed to be from someone's journal or perhaps a letter. Curiously, she had no recollection of writing it, yet her handwriting nearly matched it perfectly (her hands were still shaking badly, making it difficult to properly compare). Nonetheless, surely she must have written it!

A well-worn scrap parchment reads:
<<Time is relative to your perception. However, there is something absolute about the preciseness of time. Therefore, one must wonder: What is Time?

Over the years I have played many characters. Some were even well known, well liked- others still around today (though a word of caution, they are merely ghosts of the past). I have killed. I have been killed. But I have loved. I, of course- and this is not to say I take delight in this little fact- have broken a few hearts. Including my own.

But enough about me. Time is of the essence and it is now your turn. Grab ahold of the Hourglass of Life, and flip it upside down.

Gwenaelle, The Black Widow
>>
*These are the only words that have survived the obvious abuse this paper has gone through.

Currently..

Gwenaelle recalled the moment clearly now as she stepped from the shadows where she had just finished meditating. She was an Empath now, devoted to healing the wounds of others. It seemed nearly ludicrous, really- touch, heal, teach, tend, YAWN. But surely there was more to it than that- she felt certain this was where she was meant to be. And truly, she had already begun to find out just what exactly "more" entailed.

Still, what of this note? She was convinced it held the key to unlocking the secrets of her past. If that wasn't mind-boggling enough, even more mysterious yet was: How did she get here?

A kind nurse (Elven as well) had explained to her she had been found at the steps of the Tenderfoot Inn. Badly wounded and scarcely alive, it was apparent she hadn't just fallen down a set of stairs. What was not clear, however, was what had attacked her. A set of oversized fang marks punctured deep into her neck. An artery (or was it a vein, the nurse couldn't recall) had been nicked, however scrapes pulling away from the wound implied this skeletal girl might have managed to pry the beast off. Indeed, her wounds were undeniably from a difficult struggle.

Gwenaelle thanked the nurse and quickly began inquiring about how she could heal herself. She certainly felt capable of taking care of her own bandages. The nurse kindly explained a few first aid principles then urged the recovering Elf to seek more advanced learning from the Empath Guild.

As soon as Gwenaelle entered through the double door of the Crossing Empath Guild, she felt instantly calmer, more peaceful than she could have ever imagined. It was the first day of Spring and the sun was shining brightly. A refreshing cool breeze invigorated her senses. She breathed in the lush incense of blossoming trees, flowers, and a myriad of other plants.

She was alive.

Somehow she had escaped an almost certain death, likely only days ago. And here she was now, poised to begin a journey towards bringing health and well-being to the people of Kermoria. Wow! What a responsibility! She felt blessed- and made bloody certain she gave thanks to whichever Goddess or God had aided her.

Though she was certain she had written the note, something about the tagline "The Black Widow" unnerved her greatly. Every time she read it or so much as thought about it, she went cold as ice and broke into goosebumps with chills running up her spine.

Regardless, she felt good about her choice in joining the Empath's Guild. Already she was making friends and expanding her knowledge. Of course, she could not settle her mind...

Would someone know who she was? Was she in danger? Who was she really? Why didn't anyone seem to know who she was? Why is the grass greener on the other side?

~Play and Find Out~