My Consumption Survival Plan 09/17/2006 07:52 AM CDT
I've decided to share with everyone my survival Consumption plan, and maybe others can sure their's with me, and we can maybe get an idea on how it works, or a good way to combat it, or just if anyone has any tips to share.

-First right off when I hear that consumption is coming I make sure I got enough herbage for the job, sometimes this isn't always the easiest thing to do, especially since its sudden. I recommend everyone who can take the plague keep up on herbs this time around, I had a BIG problem yesterday when I ran out of cebi root right in the middle of an outbreak.
-When taking the plague, I actually take it from serveral people at a time, but heal one person at a time if that makes any sense. I've come to find the plague can be taken alot, but still be cured with only one cast of Cure Disease.
-The amount of mana you need to Cure the plague is rediciously, I know. This is where good mana control is the key. I know right off the bat that I will need a CD of 50+ to heal the thing. While I start taking it, I charge my cambrinth armband with two charges of 10, bringing it to 20 mana I have stored up. While I'm healing, that mana is easily returned back to me, and I cast CD at 30, focus on the armband and POP, a 50 CD. At least this way I'm giving myself time to regain mana, and I don't lose it as quickly.
-While taking plague if I cough and bleed, I heal those wounds immediately. I've seen alot of Empaths end up dying because they try to put those wounds off. Those wounds should come first, and are easy to get rid of with a IWH cast of 12 or 13 and a ISH of 15 or 16.
-If you cannot heal yourself, don't be the Martyr, ask for help, or I even have run to the Auto-puff serveral times. I'd rather get myself healed from him, then run out of mana and just die, and have a bigger problem. If you think that its not right for an Empath to use the Auto-puff, well you can take the death then, cause so far I haven't died from loss of mana yet, I've come close, but not yet :)

Just a few tips I found, if anyone has anything else to share, please do so,

~Villya

~The Highly Explosive Miss V at your Service~
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/17/2006 12:24 PM CDT
Awesome guide Vil.

The only thing I would add is a general attunement managing tip. Harnessing additional mana is much less mana intensive than straight prepping. So when it comes to that 50 prep CD I usually prep the minimum and then harness 10x4.

Just to give an idea of how much more effecient this is: In a room with shimmering power the harnessing method takes up less than half of my attunement. With a straight 50 prep, I can't even harness suffecient energy.

~Purehand
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 04:36 AM CDT
I'm even better. Prep 12, charge 16, charge 16, focus armband, harness 2, boom. If it's pretty good or better life mana (shining+), I'll just straight charge 32. Love the cambrinth, and the cambrinth shall love you.

If I'm in a time crunch though, I prep 12, and harness 12 3 times, and cast.
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 04:50 AM CDT
Forgot to include my own pointers when dealing with consumption.

First, if it's gotten to be an overwhelming epidemic, find a decent lower circle empath, and glue them to you to keep you two alive so you don't have to worry about the internal wounds generated, letting you focus on just the incoming stream of patients. Take it from them every now and then to give them a breather from getting ravaged. Between me and Benthulus 2 days ago, this worked well for 2 full hours before I needed to go, and I could have kept it up for much longer, if I hadn't just gotten sick of all the reinfections.

Second and third, I'm biased, but I prefer the Healerie for the plague. As you get newer patients, explain to them the way to get away, FAST, tell them if they want to tip or thank you, it'd better be on the spot before they get cured, because I don't want to see them a second longer than necessary.

I'm sure there's a fourth, and it's on the tip of my tongue, but I can't pull it out.
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 06:16 AM CDT
That's an excellent point, and perhaps it shouldn't bear mentioning, but immediately setting up a quarantine for consumptive cases is absolutely critical. And I agree, the Healerie is a perfect place for it. If there are a lot of patients flooding in, I'll work the quarantine, otherwise a good strategy (assuming there is no invasion in progress) is to tell your patients to stay in place and make a house call so there are no stray coughs in transit.

It's also a good time to spread the gospel about the escape tunnels in Crossings. Many are dying en route from the temple to their grave, and it seems a lot of people don't know about the tunnels.
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 06:34 AM CDT
I think for consumption, working with any other person is critical for success, unless you are a high level Empath, or know you can handle it by yourself. As far as setting up quarentines, I didn't add that in mine because sometimes Empaths are not just in the Healerie, or can't be in the Healerie. I spent the last big outbreak in the Cleric's guild trying to keep Cleric's, the warding Paladin, and others alive. Probably the most difficult task to date I've ever done.

~Villya

Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 09:26 AM CDT
Reporting from Haven, we've been quarrentining any outbreaks we get to the clothier's two west of the town square. It's out of the way of foot traffic, decent mana, and easily identifiable. It has been working so far, but hasn't been tested again in conjunction with an invasion too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't come to that.

On the actually curing and healing of the plague, I'm still at a loss despite the tips. My empathy at 179 lessons doesn't even seem to be enough to detect it let alone transfer it. When I have caught it, and tried to cure it, I've pumped up my camb orb to about 50, min preped CD and cast, but it says I'm not affected/appears to do nothing when the other empaths around me say I still have it? What am I missing? Maybe 35th circle is too low level to help?

Serenanna, who's useless it seems.
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 09:37 AM CDT
This is given you have high magic skill, but a method of dealing with consumption was to cast regenerate with 80 mana, heal the wounds caused by the plague while regen was in effect [thereby healing the light neck and chest wounds that arose], as well as take the disease from everyone, and then when everyone was clean I casted CD with the remaining mana. It was a small outbreak in shard, but I handled approximately 8 people at once with this method after I realized the amount of mana needed to rid myself of the disease. And it proved quite useful.

Renegade Empath Raudhan just arrived.

A cutthroat gasps, "I can't get UP!"

You begin to lecture Reexa on the proper use of the brawling skill.
You cackle!
You strike a heroic pose.
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 09:57 AM CDT
> My empathy at 179 lessons doesn't even seem to be enough to detect it let alone transfer it. [Serenanna]

Hrm, have we solidified we can detect it with perceive health? With 320 empathy, I can sense it on people when I touch them, but I am unable to detect it on them when I perceive health. The resistance collapses relatively quickly also. If you are having trouble pulling this disease, you can try casting GOL to up your relative empathy skill.

If we can not perceive it on people mechanically speaking, do you think that this could be arranged? If the person is diseased, I feel that an empath should be able to sense that, and if it's not currently coded, is there a reason? When someone is poisoned with cyanide, we can sense that. I don't see why it would be different with consumption if we can sense every other poison/disease type.

You cackle!
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 09:58 AM CDT
is anyone using HL, GOL, REF, NB to help counter the side-effects both for the Empath and patient? just wondering if these were assumed precautions...

Got Body Parts?
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 10:06 AM CDT
> is anyone using HL, GOL, REF, NB to help counter the side-effects both for the Empath and patient?

I used HL when I first encountered it, because I had no idea how long it would take me to heal it, what damage it did, etc. Afterwards, I realized it's just much easier and faster for me to heal all and then deal than to cast HL on everyone, sleep them, or refresh them. As for GOL, I would have casted it if I hadn't thought of the REGEN idea and did that. I had no real issue with the small outbreak in the fields near malchata in Shard, but maybe there was more of a need for such things with the empaths in Crossing who dealt with the plague on a more grand scale.

You cackle!
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 10:33 AM CDT
<<If we can not perceive it on people mechanically speaking, do you think that this could be arranged? If the person is diseased, I feel that an empath should be able to sense that, and if it's not currently coded, is there a reason?>>

Some folks can. Keep in mind that consumption is the mother of all diseases created thus far, and it's not on the same level as a poison. It's meant to be dang hard to deal with.

You guys have been doing well with it thus far!

GM Reexa

Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 10:40 AM CDT
I consistantly use GOL when dealing with the plague. I agree that this disease does hit hard if you don't have the skills to take care of it, but I'm liking the challenge. Nice to finally see something to push my Empathic Abilities!

~Villya

Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 11:18 AM CDT
>If we can not perceive it on people mechanically speaking

I think I'm seeing it via perc health on everyone that has it at 495 empathy 370ish PP. Maybe a 400 or 450 threshold for that?

I'm going to use that regen method. Very nice.

~Purehand
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 11:29 AM CDT
I see it by looking at patients and by perc health, at 70th circle. I know a 46th circle empath reported she was not able to detect it, and I know a few empaths lower-circled than I but higher than 46th can detect it, so I'd guess it's somewhere around 50-55 circles needed (or comparable stats).

Post your stats if you're within that range, let's nail this down!
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 02:30 PM CDT
I'm about a half teaching rank shy of 48th and about 5% shy of 249 in Empathy. So far I have not been able to sense it. I can, however, take it and heal it. I just have to do it blindly, which is a little scary, but doable.

~ Gwynfydedig

You say, "I didn't do it!"
A blinding fork of lightning blasts out of the cloud above and strikes you down!
You feel like you're dying!
You are stunned!

http://www.geocities.com/saerhyn/ESC/BattleEmpath.html
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 03:02 PM CDT
>My empathy at 179 lessons doesn't even seem to be enough to detect it let alone transfer it. When I have caught it, and tried to cure it, I've pumped up my camb orb to about 50, min preped CD and cast, but it says I'm not affected/appears to do nothing when the other empaths around me say I still have it? What am I missing? Maybe 35th circle is too low level to help?

I was just with another empath who had around 135 empathy and they couldn't detect the disease by touching the patient. Harik has 192 empath and is able to detect the disease, but can not transfer it. Even linking with the empath with 135ish empathy I wasn't able to take it.

Norm
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/18/2006 06:25 PM CDT
A rank or two shy of 53rd, Empathy-wise. She hasn't circled in so long, I forget.

Laril can sense, take, and heal it when she touches a patient, although she cannot sense it with perceive health (>200 PP) or see it by LOOKing at the patient (>150 Perception). Let me know if any other skills or stats seem relevant, as it seems as if Laril is relatively near the threshold.

For some reason it would make sense to me if having the amount of Empathy required for 50th were a determining factor in being able to sense the disease on patients.

~Laril
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/19/2006 05:39 AM CDT
226 Empathy, 176? PP, 122 perception, 44th circle

I can always tell by touch if someone has Consumption, I once saw it in my own health that I had it. Only once though, but I haven't been in the habit of spamming my health when I have consumption. I can NOT see it in a perc health, but I CAN see gangrene (I perc healthed in a room full of it and beelined on the one person I saw with black streaks in their aura, turns out they had both).
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 09/19/2006 09:04 PM CDT
My plan is to not accept any offerings or tips of any tarts.
That type of consumption can truly ruin a girl's figure!

'Lint
(Celinth)

Adventurer Spotlight:
-Afflux asks, "could an empath clean me up when they get a moment?"
-You get some chocolate soap from inside your herbalist's case.
-You bend down and rub some chocolate soap on Afflux's nose.
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 12/17/2006 10:56 AM CST
has anyone posted any specific requirements to be able to take the consumption? at 209 empathy I can sense the coughing blood when I touch a patient, however, when I take the disease the resistance is too strong and my link fails. If anyone can help with some specific stats and/or skills that would be greatly appreciated. I am happy to report that I can heal myself of the disease at least, but would like to help others
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 12/17/2006 01:35 PM CST
Well I know it takes a 50 mana cast of CD to heal it. Not sure what PM/Harness that corresponds to though.
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 12/17/2006 02:45 PM CST
You can easily grab 50 mana with less than 150 ranks in HA (with that much skill and assuming at least 100 in PP, you can grab pretty much anything you want). Dunno what you'd need to have in PM, though it's probably around 200ish (at like 160ish I'm in the neighborhood of 35 max, I believe).

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 12/17/2006 03:43 PM CST
If you have GOL, you might try using it and seeing if that bumps you up enough to take it, because you're really close to being able to.

As for my game plan it involves getting infected people to the healerie and kicking them out of the guild if they don't listen when they're told to get out.

Unfortunately I STILL don't know the precise syntax for removing from the Healerie and no one wants to tell me.

Rev. Reene

You are Caelumia Y'laeth, an Elf.
Holy Smoke, you're ugly! Who is your hairdresser? Medusa?

Get involved!
http://reene.euphoricsoup.com/text/roleplaying.html
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 12/17/2006 10:17 PM CST
<<Unfortunately I STILL don't know the precise syntax for removing from the Healerie and no one wants to tell me.>>

Remove <person> doesn't work? That's what works in the rest of the Guild. I'm pretty sure I've never tried to boot anyone from the Healerie specifically, though, so if that syntax is different then I don't know it, either.

~Laril
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 12/18/2006 03:59 AM CST
Tried :(

[The Healerie, The Blue Area]
Thick blue moss and lichen covering the floor absorb the water that falls from the ceiling of this enormous chamber as well as the blood from the many wounded who come here. A vast forest of stone stalactites stretches from the ceiling above, the largest as big as great trees and bearing strange crystal orbs like fruit. The orbs shed a strong bluish light that provides adequate illumination for healing. A silver plaque has been set into the floor near the middle of this area. You also see some large swinging doors leading out of the Healerie.
Obvious exits: north, northeast, east.
Caelumia followed.
[Script]>remove caelumia
You can't do that.

I thought it was "ask attendant for removal of NAME" but that returns absolutely nothing but a blank line so I'm at a loss.

Rev. Reene

Get involved!
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 12/18/2006 01:13 PM CST
I could be mistaken, but I thought it was SHOW <PERSON> DOOR.

- Ogoh

>appraise horse
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with no weapon, you estimate that the black horse is something that'd kill you quickly.
Re: My Consumption Survival Plan 12/18/2006 07:14 PM CST
Tested.

>show caelumia door
Format: SHOW <object> TO <target>

Not the right messaging if it was possible. :\

Rev. Reene

Get involved!