Shifting from baldness? 11/07/2014 02:59 AM CST
I'm not super sure this is the right folder, but it seemed best.

Can characters who chose baldness in chargen be shifted to have hair? It seems like it should work just by shifting length, but an Empath was trying to shift me up some fancy new hair and the system treated it like all humans are bald.

I assisted and spoke to Zadraes about it for a bit, and he's looking into it, but I was wondering if anybody's been able to make this work? It seems like a bug, since there's no particular reason shift shouldn't be able to do that.
Re: Shifting from baldness? 11/07/2014 07:30 AM CST
I've always wondered about this too.

When you skip getting hair, you also skip getting hair color, don't you? Which is odd since you can still grow a beard, which is then...colorless...?

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Shifting from baldness? 11/07/2014 09:36 AM CST
It works as long as you are a race that can have hair. It starts out as clear or white or something if you never picked it, I forget. It's weird until you do the color.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Shifting from baldness? 01/08/2015 01:13 PM CST
I get this when I try
XXXX is a Rakash. He doesn't have any hair at all, so why should he start now?
Re: Shifting from baldness? 01/08/2015 01:18 PM CST
I also get the same thing for attempting to change hair color (my thinking was that you needed a color before the length). Something doesn't feel right about this
Re: Shifting from baldness? 01/08/2015 05:54 PM CST
You're using SHIFT {player} HAIR LENGTH {LONGer} ?

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Shifting from baldness? 01/12/2015 10:01 AM CST
Yes. I've put in a bug for it.
Re: Shifting from baldness? 01/12/2015 12:43 PM CST
This is not a bug. After looking into the code to see where the stop was... we currently do not allow shifting from baldness.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Shifting from baldness? 01/12/2015 01:01 PM CST
Does that hold true if you were shifted to baldness or if you came out of the CM bald?
Re: Shifting from baldness? 01/12/2015 01:05 PM CST
If you are or become bald, you will remain bald, yes.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Shifting from baldness? 01/12/2015 04:25 PM CST
>>DR-Naohhi: After looking into the code to see where the stop was... we currently do not allow shifting from baldness.

How feasible would it be to allow shifting from baldness?

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Shifting from baldness? 01/12/2015 08:45 PM CST
Possible? Yes.

Going to happen? Not up to me.

Is there a reason it's disallowed? Probably, but I don't know what the reason is.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Shifting from baldness? 01/13/2015 04:15 PM CST
So you can stop and start beard growth but once you get to the cranium it's suddenly different?
Re: Shifting from baldness? 01/13/2015 06:26 PM CST
See above.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Shifting from baldness? 03/12/2015 11:15 AM CDT
Woooo Necro-replying!

I wonder if Dira'ela Lloriena's Beauty Salon (https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Dira%27ela_Lloriena%27s_Beauty_Salon) could open back up as a stopgap fix for this. It looks like that place allowed people to go from bald to any hair length. It looks like it was closed when Shifting opened, and with shifting offering a much wider range of hair color choices (heck, reduce the options at the salon, even!) I don't feel like it's really an unfair competition to Shift anymore.

At least then people could go to the hair salon, redo their hair to a non-bald length, and have an Empath shift it to whatever.

Or maybe even reopen the Salon as a hair growth clinic that only lets people go from bald to short hair! Hah.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Shifting from baldness? 03/12/2015 01:02 PM CDT
My understanding is that the feature system upgrades that made the shifting system possible also broke the beauty salon. You'd need to rewrite its script so basically a new shop.

We must accept our shift code overlords.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Shifting from baldness? 04/18/2015 07:36 PM CDT
In theory shifting from baldness is now possible, so long as the person is of a race that is compatible with having hair.

Let me know if anything goes weird, or if you notice a sudden upsurge in Murs sporting luscious locks, or the like.

Melete
Nature, it seems, is the popular name
for milliards and milliards and milliards
of particles playing their infinite game
of billiards and billiards and billiards

Just in Prime for now, with Plat and TF to follow if nothing goes crazy.
Re: Shifting from baldness? 04/18/2015 08:18 PM CDT
>Let me know if anything goes weird, or if you notice a sudden upsurge in Murs sporting luscious locks, or the like

So...given that shifting is an unholy act according to the empath guild...could we get mur-hair? Because that statement made me giggle, a lot, and then go 'wait, that would be an awesome thing to be able to shift', it's also something that can't be done in the char gen, so empath perk (kinda...If you love shifting...)
Re: Shifting from baldness? 04/18/2015 08:30 PM CDT

Hair Club for Murs?
Re: Shifting from baldness? 04/18/2015 09:48 PM CDT
Hopefully if you can shift hair onto a Mur their tail falls off and both the empath and Mur are destroyed in a divine act of mercy by Peri'el.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Shifting from baldness? 09/01/2016 01:16 AM CDT
>Is there a reason it's disallowed? Probably, but I don't know what the reason is.

Necro reply but since no one threw it out there:

I just did the quest. The story of Twist of Mindy seems to have indicated Empathy couldn't help with baldness - although strictly speaking the story only provides evidence that normal Empathy can't, and against plague-induced baldness - nothing about the SHIFT ability

If the original designer of the quest is the same person who coded it, I suppose that's the lore-based reason for not allowing shifting someone who's bald.
Re: Shifting from baldness? 09/01/2016 01:34 AM CDT
>>If the original designer of the quest is the same person who coded it, I suppose that's the lore-based reason for not allowing shifting someone who's bald.

I don't know if it was ever resolved (I remember this being A Thing), but I'm pretty sure that the no-shifting-from-bald was a mechanical limitation that was explained ICly, more than anything else. It was something like, the state of having no hair meant you couldn't shift someone to having hair of any type, for coding nightmare (at that time?) reasons.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Shifting from baldness? 09/01/2016 04:44 AM CDT
>>Teveshszat: I don't know if it was ever resolved (I remember this being A Thing), but I'm pretty sure that the no-shifting-from-bald was a mechanical limitation that was explained ICly, more than anything else. It was something like, the state of having no hair meant you couldn't shift someone to having hair of any type, for coding nightmare (at that time?) reasons.

This has been resolved.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Empaths/Shift/view/1188

In theory shifting from baldness is now possible, so long as the person is of a race that is compatible with having hair.

Let me know if anything goes weird, or if you notice a sudden upsurge in Murs sporting luscious locks, or the like.

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Empath new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_new_player_guide

Empath hunting ladder: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_hunting_ladder