Re: Heal Spell Rewrite 05/03/2018 03:28 PM CDT
>>DR-Grejuva: The rewritten Heal spell has been released on preview in Prime.

>>A matrix built around the two fundamental healing spells, Heal attempts to locate and heal the worst wounds of the Empath over time, doing whatever correction is necessary to bring her body to wholeness. The Empath can specifically cast it with wounds or scars in mind to focus the spell upon the worst injury of the given type, or allow it to do its best for both.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to see I can still use it on just scars, as Heal used to work. Do you have any thoughts on adding external/internal optional casting modes?

I would also love to see these changes to Heal Wounds, Heal Scars, and Regenerate: http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Empaths/Magic%20and%20Empath%20Spells/view/1637

Would it be possible to upgrade Heal Wounds and Heal Scars so that, with enough mana (and intact empathy), it will target multiple wounds/scars with a single cast? Perhaps even with the same intelligent targeting as Heal (which prioritizes more severe injuries)? To help distinguish these bread-and-butter healing spells from Heal, there might be a reduction in mana efficiency for multiple wounds.

For example, when casting Heal Wounds or Heal Scars, the following syntax options would exist:
• cast body part (same as before; most mana-efficient)
• cast external (heals external wounds and scars; less mana-efficient)
• cast internal (heals internal wounds and scars; less mana-efficient)
• cast wounds (heals wounds; less mana-efficient)
• cast scars (heals scars; less mana-efficient)
• cast all (heals wounds and scars, regardless of location; least mana-efficient)

In the same vein, it would be cool if Regenerate had optional casting syntax:
• cast (default; heals all wounds and scars)
• cast wounds (heals only wounds)
• cast scars (heals only scars)
• cast external (heals only external wounds and scars)
• cast internal (heals only internal wounds and scars)

I would even be willing to spend an extra spell slot on a metaspell that adds targeting syntax.

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Empath new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_new_player_guide

Empath hunting ladder: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_hunting_ladder
Re: Heal Spell Rewrite 05/03/2018 04:16 PM CDT
>>Do you have any thoughts on adding external/internal optional casting modes?

Maybe. That part of Heal is quite complex, I'll have to dive deeper. For the other spells, probably not. Heal's niche is narrow enough, and I think such features are better left as its strengths.

GM Grejuva
Re: Heal Spell Rewrite 05/03/2018 04:54 PM CDT
Wasn't expecting the change and it threw me for a bit of a loop today! I had been working towards Regenerate but now I wonder why I should bother getting it. Since I have adaptive curing, what's the benefit of Regenerate over Heal now?

This might slow down my Utility ranking, since casting Heal over and over with camb was how I was locking Life Magic, Utility Magic, and Arcana at the same time... while still being useful. I guess I'll need a new method for training Utility now.
Re: Heal Spell Rewrite 05/03/2018 04:56 PM CDT
Awesome, thanks for finishing it up. I rather like this version. Any chance you could shed a bit of light on how the wound prioritization is supposed to work? I was sort of surprised that it ignored my Very Devastating internal eye scars in favor of tackling some insignificant wounds (internal + external) on a few other body parts (some of which were limbs). I think it zapped the eye wounds as top priority when I got them, but then the scars were left until everything else was gone. And unfortunately the blind state doesn't go away until the scars are healed too (this was from the Xala'shar vanquisher special attack). It made me think maybe something was a little off.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Heal Spell Rewrite 05/03/2018 05:09 PM CDT
I've been wondering that for awhile with heal. I've often had massive bleeders that it passes up for some random scars.
Re: Heal Spell Rewrite 05/03/2018 05:23 PM CDT
>>what's the benefit of Regenerate over Heal now?

Oh hey, I've been hearing the opposite asked! I take it as a hopeful sign that both spells will see use. Regenerate is faster in more than one way and has more raw power.

>>Any chance you could shed a bit of light on how the wound prioritization is supposed to work?

Non-vital scars appear to have the lowest priority. It's still weighted by severity, though, so I'd need to see a detailed log to determine if something is off. Feel free to email me.

>>I've been wondering that for awhile with heal. I've often had massive bleeders that it passes up for some random scars.

New Heal employs completely new logic, thanks to the in-depth work of GM Melete. Bleeders should be very high priority now.

GM Grejuva
Re: Heal Spell Rewrite 05/03/2018 05:27 PM CDT
What's the reasoning behind making it cost 3 slots, as well as requiring AC to work to its full potential? That's a total of 4 slots, ouch.
Re: Heal Spell Rewrite 05/03/2018 05:27 PM CDT
Thanks for the responses Mr/Mrs GM! The more I play with the new Heal, the more I think I like it. It pulses faster than I used to cast it, so I get healed faster. I think the extra slots and lack of training it provides might just end up being worth it, in the long run. If Heal and Regenerate work at the same time, that could be pretty cool. I like that it works after death, stuns, unconscious, etc.
Re: Heal Spell Rewrite 05/03/2018 05:33 PM CDT
<<Non-vital scars appear to have the lowest priority. It's still weighted by severity, though, so I'd need to see a detailed log to determine if something is off. Feel free to email me.>>

Unfortunately I don't have a log to send. The other injuries in question were just insignificant wounds (and the resulting scars) from receiving light hits here and there. I think there was a chest, back, and I want to say right arm that it grabbed after the very devastating eye wounds but before the eye scars. I wonder if casting REVERSE would make it recognize the eye scars as a higher priority, assuming that's even still a thing. I'll give that a try next time.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Heal Spell Rewrite 05/03/2018 05:47 PM CDT
So... I just healed a dead body that had multiple bleeders, and within about 1.5 minutes I was back to no injuries. Color me amazed... it pulses so much faster than I could ever have cast at my skill levels. I almost wonder if it's too fast. You say Regenerate is faster? Wow. Apparently life becomes much, much different when you start casting regenerate. I'm not far!
Re: Heal Spell Rewrite 05/03/2018 05:55 PM CDT
>>What's the reasoning behind making it cost 3 slots, as well as requiring AC to work to its full potential?

It is vastly more efficient than the old Heal.

GM Grejuva
Re: Heal Spell Rewrite 05/03/2018 08:34 PM CDT
Looks like it has slowed back down substantially. Either I was crazy or I should've kept my mouth shut. :P
Re: Heal Spell Rewrite 05/03/2018 08:36 PM CDT
Not knowing how NPC healing works, will this change affect at all how NPC empaths heal?

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game. Michael Jordan
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/game
Re: Heal Spell Rewrite 05/04/2018 12:44 AM CDT
With the slot increase to Heal, could the spell tree branch off so VH is the prereq for Heal, Regen, and FoC rather than Heal being the prereq for both Regen and FoC?
Re: Heal Spell Rewrite 05/04/2018 03:16 AM CDT
>>Looks like it has slowed back down substantially. Either I was crazy or I should've kept my mouth shut. :P

A bug was randomizing the pulse rate of each cast. You were just initially lucky; it could be infinitely slower too.

>>Not knowing how NPC healing works, will this change affect at all how NPC empaths heal?

No, those don't use actual spells.

>>With the slot increase to Heal, could the spell tree branch off so VH is the prereq for Heal, Regen, and FoC rather than Heal being the prereq for both Regen and FoC?

I don't think so. The Healing book has a nice spell progression from intro to advanced that makes sense. Slot costs aren't a consideration in the prereq trees.

GM Grejuva