Absolution Preview 01/21/2015 05:32 PM CST
* incomprehensible squealing *

The spell discern and some messaging for anyone interested in such things. Note GOL and ABSOL are apparently not friends.

Absolution is a bitter spell, one which the Khalo refuse to teach. Nonetheless it has propagated in the corners of the Five Provinces for its sheer utility. By undergoing the ritual of Absolution, an Empath may dull his talent. While detrimental to his healing and general bodily health, it has one dramatic advantage: while the dampening effect remains, the Empath is too far removed from the twisted life essence of the Undead to empathize with them. A warrior-empath is thus able to confront the undead hordes and their lich overlords with impunity.

This is a ritual spell, which means that it requires a high amount of mana to use. These mana costs can be alleviated somewhat by invoking the proper ritual focus while preparing the spell. It affects yourself. It requires a minimum of one hundred forty mana streams, and can expand to a maximum of six hundred twenty mana streams woven into it. To begin to be able to cast this spell, you will need to reach the rank of an experienced practitioner. By the time you have mastered this spell, you will be ranked as a master in your abilities as a caster. It requires the Utility skill to cast effectively. Before you can learn this spell, you must know one of Cure Disease or Flush Poisons. It will also cost two spell slots.

Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
You feel intense strain as you try to manipulate the mana streams to form this pattern, and you are not certain that you will have enough mental stamina to complete it.
With meditative movements you prepare your body for the Absolution spell.

You gesture.
The mental strain of this pattern is considerably eased by your ritual focus.
Your head swims and you feel considerably more numb, as though your mind was somehow disconnected from your body. The world with all its colors and sensual character seems a step removed from you now.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Absolution Preview 01/21/2015 05:56 PM CST
::cackles with glee:: This is totally awesome and well worth the wait on. Now the construct ladder doesn't offend me as much!!

Dances with the dead.

~~If you can't live without me why aren't you dead yet?~~
Re: Absolution Preview 01/21/2015 05:57 PM CST
Nifty!

<<Note GOL and ABSOL are apparently not friends.

Please say it causes explosions of body parts.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Absolution Preview 01/21/2015 06:13 PM CST
<<Note GOL and ABSOL are apparently not friends.

>Please say it causes explosions of body parts.

Nah you just get 'an error' if you try to cast ABSOL with GOL up.

You gesture.
The mental strain of this pattern is considerably eased by your ritual focus.
You realize that Gift of Life's Empathy-amplifying effect would completely interfere with the Absolution pattern.

Re: Absolution Preview 01/21/2015 06:22 PM CST

How cool! Do all healing spells fail when it is up?
Re: Absolution Preview 01/21/2015 06:29 PM CST
Wow, very cool. I am actually surprised its not cyclic, how hard is it to dispel ritual spells? Heh.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Absolution Preview 01/21/2015 06:32 PM CST
So far everything seems to work except GOL (which makes sense). I can still manipulate and use unity as well.

You gesture.
You realize that Absolution's Empathy-deadening effect would completely interfere with the Gift of Life pattern.

Re: Absolution Preview 01/21/2015 06:35 PM CST
Yeah, stat-wise Absolution is the inverse of GoL: -Stamina, -Empathy. Unlike most spells, Absolution's debuffs get weaker with more Potency rather than stronger, but never go away entirely.

I thought it was enough to do a -Empathy debuff rather than go out of my way to lock you out of Empath Tricks. I reserve the right to change this if I think I need to, but I don't foresee that.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Absolution Preview 01/21/2015 06:35 PM CST
Just as a note, I have updated the graphical spell tree on elanthipedia with this. Enjoy!

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Absolution Preview 01/21/2015 07:15 PM CST
You know what would amuse me? If you could cast this on another empath and the debuff gets WORSE with potency.

But I'm a jackass.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Absolution Preview 01/21/2015 07:19 PM CST
P.S. I've been informed that there is an issue with seeing some of the spell trees in certain cases. Trial and error testing has revealed this is due to thumbnail scaling at the upper end being cut off sooner for some people than others. If for some reason you can't see this or other spell trees, I'm working on a solution and should hopefully have it ready later today or tomorrow.

Re: Absolution Preview 01/21/2015 08:08 PM CST

Undead hordes and their lich overlords? That a wink towards lich transcendence being soon(tm)? If so, woohoo.
Re: Absolution Preview 01/21/2015 08:18 PM CST
I like the warning message before it expires. That's helpful.

Warning:
A brief spike of raw sensation hits you, taking your breath away. The ritual pattern dampening your Empathy is coming undone.
Expiration:
As the Absolution spell fails, you feel your connection to the world renew and sharpen once again.

Re: Absolution Preview 01/21/2015 09:18 PM CST
Very very cool addition. Thanks much.

Samsaren
Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 06:22 AM CST
>you feel your connection to the world renew and sharpen once again

It would be nice to see this phrasing also linked to no longer being shocked.

Asbhuan
Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 06:54 AM CST
Speaking of expirations. How long does the spell last at min prep? Are we talking a few minutes or dozens?

Sparring an Empath is not a test of skill or combat ability. It's a test of how long it takes for you to scream in frustration before rage quitting.
Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 07:42 AM CST
I don't know about Absolution specifically, but ritual spells tend to have durations ranging from around 30 at min prep to around 120 minutes at cap.

Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 09:25 AM CST
This makes me want to start a new empath.
Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 09:28 AM CST
>>This makes me want to start a new empath.

I was lamenting to another GM earlier this morning that my own little Empath needs like 40 more ranks of Arcana to get the spell off. I can't justify making it a Basic spell, but I've never before been so tempted to play with my own toy.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 09:49 AM CST
>>Speaking of expirations. How long does the spell last at min prep? Are we talking a few minutes or dozens?

>I don't know about Absolution specifically, but ritual spells tend to have durations ranging from around 30 at min prep to around 120 minutes at cap.

I'm seeing 30 minutes min, 89/90 minutes max. The stamina penalty is noticeably better with a higher spell cast. Very cool spell.

Encumbrance : Somewhat Burdened (min)
Encumbrance : None (max)
Encumbrance : None (without the spell at all)

< You claw your claws at an immense dirt construct. An immense dirt construct fails to evade. The claws flashes with a brilliant silver light and lands a hard hit that rips away half of the construct's hip as its left femur is pulled from its socket.
An immense dirt construct halts mid-action and topples to the ground, motionless.
[You're nimbly balanced]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]

Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 10:13 AM CST

So you went with bless then?

I was wondering what scroll spells people are thinking will be good here. RAGE?
Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 10:58 AM CST
I still have bless from HE, as doing those tasks was much easier being able to bless my own water. Plus I can bless a sword and give it to my GS. I'm also greatly amused by being a "divine weapon". Tempted to go with an AOE damaging spell but I don't know what yet.

I anticipate my biggest problem will be finding an ABSOL scroll once the preview ends :(

Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 11:02 AM CST
>>I anticipate my biggest problem will be finding an ABSOL scroll once the preview ends :(

This will not be a significant problem.

-Armifer
Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 11:11 AM CST
<<>>I anticipate my biggest problem will be finding an ABSOL scroll once the preview ends :(

<<This will not be a significant problem.>>

That's encouraging, I was a little concerned about that too. Still no luck finding Adaptive Curing :(

Sounds like a neat spell though, I look forward to the end of the preview. Will it be getting a general preview after the premium one expires?

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 11:15 AM CST
Yup. One week premium, one week general.

-Armifer
Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 01:40 PM CST
This is nothing short of amazing. A ‘game changer’ on so many levels!

I admittedly am not well versed in the ways of combat. Hopefully this will change soon. But one concern I have how unfortunate it would be if the pending expiration and expiration messages were missed due to all of the scroll of combat.

It would be really nice to set some kind of empathic demeanor that would preserve your intended stance by either preventing or allowing attacks on living things. I’m still facepalming myself for accidentally taking a swipe at a skunk near guardians.

Safeguard or not, I am so very excited this and just pray that I will not get accidental shock.

Thanks for this great new addition!
Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 01:50 PM CST
I'm looking forward to next week when everyone can play with it!

It's as if they fleshed out the construct ladder without having to add more constructs.

>>Sophieann: It would be really nice to set some kind of empathic demeanor that would preserve your intended stance by either preventing or allowing attacks on living things. I'm still facepalming myself for accidentally taking a swipe at a skunk near guardians.

Doesn't the BRAWL command toggle whether you will use aggressive maneuvers without specifying a target? If so, you could have a trigger that toggles the brawling mode when the spell ends.

I will also be adding support for this spell to Geniebuff for Geniehunter, which will re-cast the spell when it wears off. (I may instead have it re-cast when the warning message pops up to reduce the chance of empathic shock.)

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 01:54 PM CST
>>Safeguard or not, I am so very excited this and just pray that I will not get accidental shock.

Highlights are your friend.
Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 01:55 PM CST
Hmm, does creature appraisal not take into account buffs/debuffs? I attempted to see a rough estimate of how much stamina ABSOL debuffs by appraising creatures with and without it on, but it's not showing up.

It also feels like the encumbrance difference isn't as bad today compared to last night, but I'm not really comparing a lot of data at this point.

Before: You are certain that it is somewhat less conditioned than you are.
After: You are certain that it is somewhat less conditioned than you are.

Before: You are certain that it is not quite as conditioned as you are.
After: You are certain that it is not quite as conditioned as you are.

Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 02:01 PM CST
> I attempted to see a rough estimate of how much stamina ABSOL debuffs by appraising creatures with and without it on, but it's not showing up.

Just look at the difference in maximum concentration. Every point of stamina is a point of concentration.
Re: Absolution Preview 01/22/2015 02:19 PM CST
>> I attempted to see a rough estimate of how much stamina ABSOL debuffs by appraising creatures with and without it on, but it's not showing up.

>Just look at the difference in maximum concentration. Every point of stamina is a point of concentration.

Oh, clever clever you! BIG difference apparently. -20 versus -2

Min cast -
Before Conc: 556
After Conc: 536

Max cast -
Before Conc: 556
After Conc: 554

Re: Absolution Preview 01/30/2015 04:40 PM CST
We're a couple days past the one week mark, any chance the switch could be flipped on this one please?

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Absolution Preview 01/31/2015 11:27 AM CST
Cool, thanks. I think I found a bug though...landing a deathblow with MANEUVER PALMSTRIKE resulted in shock. I didn't get shock for merely hitting with MANEUVER IMPALE.

Dashing in, you attempt to smack your twirling knuckle against a Misenseor resuscitant!

Your palm lands a heavy strike to a Misenseor resuscitant's left leg!
The Misenseor resuscitant shrieks hoarsely and begins to shudder violently, its cries growing gradually softer as its unholy life force fades away.

[You're incredibly balanced]
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>
Pain blossoms within you, your delicate empathic senses singing with agony. You feel the wound to the other life essence almost before it happens, your empathy focusing and magnifying the pain you have caused. You draw back instinctively, your empathy recoiling, leaving you briefly stunned.

Anguish wracks your psyche as your victim's life essence gutters out. Your mind cringes back from what you have done, though you cannot help but share the confusion and torment of your fellow being's final moments.

Per the original announcement, I've submitted an ASSIST.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Absolution Preview 01/31/2015 02:02 PM CST
Maneuvers, and perhaps various other methods to do damage, should now account for Absolution. You have our sincere apologies. Please accept this text cheesecake for your troubles.

O

ASGM Ricinus
Core, Logistics, Survival
Cleric Advocate
Re: Absolution Preview 02/06/2015 07:33 PM CST
I just wanted to know, as a matter of curiousity, how did the spell name Absolution come about?

When I first read about this (sorry I'm late to this, just got back) I thought it was a cleric spell. See I'm Catholic and absolution is what a priest, standing in for Christ, gives us after confession--he absolves us from out sins. So needless to say, I was really confused on this one.

I just wish I was a big enough empath to actually try this spell. Someday!

Aquanelle
Re: Absolution Preview 02/06/2015 07:51 PM CST
>>I just wanted to know, as a matter of curiousity, how did the spell name Absolution come about?

Noun: act of absolving; a freeing from blame or guilt; release from consequences, obligations, or penalties.

There's an edge of theology / moralizing to it that amused me, given that I knew from the onset that the Khalo wouldn't teach it,

-Armifer
Re: Absolution Preview 02/06/2015 07:54 PM CST
ab·solve
əbˈzälv,əbˈsälv
verb
set or declare (someone) free from blame, guilt, or responsibility.
"the pardon absolved them of any crimes"
synonyms: exonerate, discharge, acquit, vindicate;

Makes perfect sense that the empath is absolving themselves of the shock.

It has nothing to do with Catholicism or other religion at all.

Re: Absolution Preview 02/07/2015 01:32 AM CST
>>It has nothing to do with Catholicism or other religion at all.<<

Of course it doesn't have anything to do with Catholicism...I was just explaining why I was confused.

OK, I see it now...the empath is absolving his/herself of shock consequences.

Thanks for the answers. And so quick too! Another reason why I love this game and forums.

And Absalon...I also thought perhaps you took the GMs hostage until they named a spell after you! Just funnin' around ok?

Aquanelle
Re: Absolution Preview 03/07/2015 01:05 PM CST
I kinda keep wondering if there's any intended similarity on a conceptual level to Necro's RoC. RoC being a spell that helps offset "guilt," as well.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Absolution Preview 03/07/2015 02:35 PM CST
>>I kinda keep wondering if there's any intended similarity on a conceptual level to Necro's RoC.

Not intended, though I won't throw out "well maybe unconsciously..." as an option.

Absolution's religious/guilt theme, just like the Necro spells, are supposed to be viewed with sarcasm, but that's about it. Absolution messages and in-game-physics wise works way differently than RoC does.

-Armifer