Cyclicals 01/31/2013 08:48 AM CST
500+ pm

A base cast of ad or reg requires at least 12s rt in order to not fail. Please rethink the mechanics.

Also, is there any chance cyclicals could overcast each other?
Re: Cyclicals 02/01/2013 09:53 AM CST
>>A base cast of ad or reg requires at least 12s rt in order to not fail. Please rethink the mechanics.

The new magic system was designed to scale much, much higher than the previous one. We want there to be room to grow, and esoteric spells are among the most difficult spells on offer (all the Empath cyclics are esoteric). 500 ranks is not really that far into the teaching range for an esoteric spell, so it's not surprising that you're far from achieving maximum success with them.

I know it can be rough going from being able to freely and easily cast every spell that empaths had, to the current status quo, but we believe it's best for the health of the game.

>>Also, is there any chance cyclicals could overcast each other?

This one is really more of a core magic thing, and might be better addressed in the main magic folders.

Melete
Our choicest plans
have fallen through,
our airiest castles
tumbled over,
because of lines
we neatly drew
and later neatly
stumbled over.
Re: Cyclicals 02/01/2013 01:40 PM CST
Would it be possible to get GS reduced to Advanced then? For being such a staple for Empathic hunting, it's a real shame that it's esoteric. My empath is ~40th, and cannot use the spell, which seems a long time to make an Empath wait to use something that represents the only way they can kill critters.
Re: Cyclicals 02/01/2013 10:41 PM CST
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Construct

~ Player of Farman et al.
Re: Cyclicals 02/02/2013 12:42 AM CST
>> http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Construct

Wow... you can be a viable battle empath? Just no PVP....(unless shocked i suppose) HMMmmmmmMMmmmm...
Re: Cyclicals 02/02/2013 01:30 AM CST
>>Wow... you can be a viable battle empath? Just no PVP....(unless shocked i suppose) HMMmmmmmMMmmmm...

Empaths are quite decent at PvP too. The lack of an ability to directly attack certainly hinders, but they're not helpless by any means.
Re: Cyclicals 02/02/2013 09:25 AM CST
>The lack of an ability to directly attack certainly hinders, but they're not helpless by any means.

It isn't that Empaths lack an ability to directly attack, there is just a price to pay. In 3.0 that price has been significantly reduced.

>Would it be possible to get GS reduced to Advanced then? For being such a staple for Empathic hunting, it's a real shame that it's esoteric. My empath is ~40th, and cannot use the spell, which seems a long time to make an Empath wait to use something that represents the only way they can kill critters.

Besides the aforementioned constructs, you can also use manipulate to hunt if you want to avoid the shock route, so you have two other non-shock methods besides GS.

Asbhuan
Re: Cyclicals 02/02/2013 10:13 AM CST
>It isn't that Empaths lack an ability to directly attack, there is just a price to pay. In 3.0 that price has been significantly reduced.

As I understand it, with the 3.0 shock mechanics, it's no longer a death-sentence either. You can remove shock with some reasonable mechanics, rather than 'takes 40000 people 4000 hours to heal you and then you're still scared forever you terrible pitiful thing we should all hate' like in 2.0

So, empaths can, conceptually, attack, and still function reasonably well, up to a certain shock-point?

Note: this is not a plug for Genie or Elanthipedia or Mars Bars.
Re: Cyclicals 02/02/2013 12:33 PM CST
>Besides the aforementioned constructs, you can also use manipulate to hunt if you want to avoid the shock route, so you have two other non-shock methods besides GS.

That is true and I admit, I was forgetting about manipulate. Redacted!

And I realize Empaths have some pretty potent combat functionality, that's why I've been playing mine a bit more!