Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/04/2012 07:43 AM CDT
Hello!

I have opened the late Empath guildfest shop in Willow Walk. It is open to all guilds, and sells herb pouches/containers that stack herbs, similar to the cabinet available in the Empaths' Guild infirmary.

Some fun facts:

* This mechanic was originally created by GM Yucca, who is no longer on staff. She was also the one who made the stacking herb cabinet, and these containers use very similar mechanics.

* The pouches stack herbs by combining them, which averages all of their attributes. That's just something to keep in mind while using them.

* They also may hold slightly less than a normal pouch, which is intended for the time being. There are some instances when a normal container will actually hold more than it is technically supposed to; this shouldn't happen with these containers. The discrepancy should not be more than 20 percent or so though, so if you notice a really big difference, please let me know!

I hope you like it! Please let me know if you notice anything odd.

Melete
The naphtha soaking a pure white alfar avenger bursts into flame with an explosive WHOOOMPH!
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/04/2012 08:41 AM CDT
I like 'em! I wish my herbalist case (from Empath Day 361!) would stack like this...

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay, and an Empath

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/04/2012 05:07 PM CDT
>>DR-Melete: They also may hold slightly less than a normal pouch, which is intended for the time being. There are some instances when a normal container will actually hold more than it is technically supposed to; this shouldn't happen with these containers. The discrepancy should not be more than 20 percent or so though, so if you notice a really big difference, please let me know!

Although the old and new herb pouches are the same dimensions (2x2x2 150 stones), the new herb pouches hold much less. (In my case, the old herb pouch holds almost three times the weight that the new herb pouch holds.) Does this discrepancy have something to do with the way herbs can be COMBINED?

old herb pouch:
You tap a small herb pouch embroidered with the crest of Sraan Mhhg that you are wearing.
You are certain that the herb pouch weighs exactly 442 stones.

You rummage through a small herb pouch embroidered with the crest of Sraan Mhhg and see some aloe balm, some lujeakave elixir, a jadice flower, a jadice flower, a jadice flower, a jadice flower, a jadice flower, a jadice flower, a jadice flower, some hulnik grass, some hulnik grass, some nilos grass, some nilos grass, some georin grass, some georin grass, some georin grass, some hulnik grass, some georin grass, a plovik leaf, a plovik leaf, a plovik leaf, a plovik leaf, a plovik leaf, a plovik leaf, a plovik leaf, a riolur leaf, some ithor potion, some eghmok potion, some eghmok potion, some eghmok potion, an ithor potion, a vial of ithor potion, a vial of ithor potion, a vial of ithor potion, a vial of ithor potion, some ithor potion, some eghmok potion, some dried cebi pulp, a cebi root, a yelith root, a nemoih root, a cebi root, a cebi root, a cebi root, some hisan salve, some hisan salve, some hisan salve, some hisan salve, some hisan salve, some hisan salve, some hisan salve, some hisan salve, some sufil sap, some muljin sap, a flask of aevaes solution, some aevaes solution, a nuloe stem, a junliar stem, a junliar stem and a junliar stem.

New herb pouch:

I attempted to put one of each herb type in this pouch. I was finally able to do so after BREAKing the herbs into smaller parts.

You tap a sanguine leather herb pouch branded with a jagged spiral motif that you are wearing.
You are certain that the herb pouch weighs exactly 160 stones.

You rummage through a sanguine leather herb pouch branded with a jagged spiral motif and see some vials of ithor potion, a pot of hisan salve, a packet of cebi roots, a packet of riolur leaves, a yelith root, a pot of sufil sap, a plovik leaf, a packet of nuloe stems, some nilos grass, a packet of nemoih roots, some muljin sap, some lujeakave elixir, a junliar stem, a jadice flower, some hulnik grass, some georin grass, some eghmok potion, some aloe balm and some aevaes solution.

"PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this." -- Teilan
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/04/2012 06:16 PM CDT
>weight

Ran into this same issue myself. Took me awhile to BREAK enough parts off to get the essentials to fit, but I got it. Though TBH, I carry less than you do :P

The Shard Sentinel nods to Alexii and says, "Yes, you may pass."
Alexii says, "Sucker!"
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/04/2012 07:41 PM CDT
>>Sarkranis

That's really interesting. Somehow, the Sraan herb pouch is holding almost 2 times more than it should. Not really sure what to make of that. I saw some stuff deep in the depths of the PUT code that would account for them holding a bit more than they should, but not that much more.

How are you filling the Sraan pouch?

Melete
The naphtha soaking a pure white alfar avenger bursts into flame with an explosive WHOOOMPH!
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/04/2012 07:52 PM CDT
Also uh, my herb pouch holds a lot more than those new pouches. So I started to take my dried cebi back out of the NEW pouch to put in my old pouch, and they got un-dried.

You are certain that the pitch-black pouch weighs exactly 452 stones.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/04/2012 08:02 PM CDT
Love the mechanics behind these!

Any way we can get something that is generally worn with those measurements that isn't an apron?
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/04/2012 08:25 PM CDT
>>weight oddities

I think I found the culprit here. I'll have to find out whether the fact that some containers can hold three times what they're supposed to is a bug or a feature. If it's a feature, I can update the stackers to match.

Melete
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/04/2012 08:36 PM CDT

i'm hoping a feature, as all my s'kra love their mhhg pouchs!
/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/04/2012 09:12 PM CDT
Alright, have updated the herb stackers to match the containers in the rest of the game. Ones that have already been sold will have this change automatically.

Let me know if you notice anything else super weird.

Melete
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/04/2012 09:31 PM CDT
>>DR-Melete: That's really interesting. Somehow, the Sraan herb pouch is holding almost 2 times more than it should. Not really sure what to make of that. I saw some stuff deep in the depths of the PUT code that would account for them holding a bit more than they should, but not that much more.

It's not just the Sraan Mhhg herb pouch. My Paladin's midnight-blue drawstring herb pouch embroidered with a golden star currently weighs 436 stones.

>>DR-Melete: How are you filling the Sraan pouch?

PUT [HERB] IN MY HERB POUCH

>>DR-Melete: Alright, have updated the herb stackers to match the containers in the rest of the game. Ones that have already been sold will have this change automatically.

Thanks! I'll take a look at them tonight. Were just the herb pouches changed, or other containers as well? (I want to update Elanthipedia.)

"PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this." -- Teilan
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/04/2012 09:56 PM CDT
>>It's not just the Sraan Mhhg herb pouch. My Paladin's midnight-blue drawstring herb pouch embroidered with a golden star currently weighs 436 stones.

Yeah, the bug will have affected all containers.

>>Thanks! I'll take a look at them tonight. Were just the herb pouches changed, or other containers as well? (I want to update Elanthipedia.)

All of the stackers should now hold an amount comparable to other containers of the same size, by weight. The volume mechanics are their own deal and I didn't touch those, so they still may not hold exactly the same amount of everything, but it should be a lot closer than it was before.

Melete
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/04/2012 10:01 PM CDT
All hail Melete!

I can now fit my way-too-many-herbs in the new pouch.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/04/2012 11:55 PM CDT
>All of the stackers should now hold an amount comparable to other containers of the same size, by weight.

Since they're now wildly inaccurate due to said bug, I don't suppose the MEASURE command could be updated to reflect the realities?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/05/2012 12:49 AM CDT
>>Since they're now wildly inaccurate due to said bug, I don't suppose the MEASURE command could be updated to reflect the realities?

What's this reality you speak of?? I think the Measure verb is more of a crafting thing, I can pass the request along though.

Melete
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/05/2012 02:38 AM CDT
>What's this reality you speak of?? I think the Measure verb is more of a crafting thing, I can pass the request along though.

>measure pouch
You are certain that the pouch's interior length measures two spans, are certain that the pouch's interior width measures two spans and are certain that the pouch's interior height measures two spans.
You are confident that the pouch's interior carrying capacity is about one hundred fifty stones.

These seem to be wildly inaccurate, and it's because of that bug, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/05/2012 02:59 AM CDT
Yeah, the bug is an existing bug. It affects every container in the game. It has been that way for who knows how long. The reason it came to light was because of these pouches.

It's not a bug that I introduced, it's a bug that I found because of these stacker things. I passed your request up the chain so we'll see if measure gets updated. The bug is not really mine to deal with, what happens with it will be decided way way over my head.

What I have done (with permission, for now) is introduce the same bug to my code to match the bug that exists in every other container's code. That way at least everything is consistent.

From what I can see this bug has probably been around for years, at least two years and probably longer.

Melete
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/05/2012 03:25 AM CDT
>It's not a bug that I introduced, it's a bug that I found because of these stacker things. I passed your request up the chain so we'll see if measure gets updated. The bug is not really mine to deal with, what happens with it will be decided way way over my head.

Thanks muchly!

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/05/2012 06:05 AM CDT
Hey all, someone reported a problem using STOW with these earlier. That should be fixed now (thanks to GM Raesh for the quick QC!). If you guys notice anything weird again, let me know. Many thanks also to the folks who have been on top of bug reporting. :]

Melete
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/05/2012 09:46 AM CDT

thanks much for the fix, especially the stow part as thats what i use. got almost all my herbs in the pouch now, (except that big 83 part nuloe stem) after getting way less than half in there yesterday. big improvement since im a ranger and seldom go into town and try to keep a big supply of foraged herbs on hand.
Sniper Shinumo
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/06/2012 01:16 PM CDT
I'm curious, were the herb cases supposed to be smaller than the herb pouches? I bought both and could only put about half my herbs into the case (that is too heavy to go in there!), while all of them fit into the pouch. Is this because of the change you made to make the pouches bigger? I just thought that a case would hold more than a pouch.

Either way, I love the stacking feature of these, saves me time combining so thank you!
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/06/2012 11:47 PM CDT
The cases are smaller than the pouches. They are based on the existing herb cases in size and amount that they'll hold.

Melete
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/07/2012 01:11 AM CDT
seems strange though. For something that is MORE expensive to hold LESS. :-)

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/07/2012 02:43 AM CDT
>>Gersteinj2: seems strange though. For something that is MORE expensive to hold LESS. :-)

Herbal cases hold larger items than herb pouches (according to their dimensions) but less weight.

Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/07/2012 09:44 AM CDT
>>seems strange though. For something that is MORE expensive to hold LESS. :-)

Well sure, a nice hand-made jewelry box is more expensive than a backback from Target, but which holds more stuff?
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/07/2012 04:17 PM CDT
case was 3x3x3 and 90 stones, and the pouch was 2x2x2 and 150 stones I think.
I was able to fit them all in a pouch too, but not a case.

The averaging- is that averaging quality, app, and amount of herbs? I hadn't played with it too much.

Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/07/2012 04:35 PM CDT
>>Powerhaus: case was 3x3x3 and 90 stones, and the pouch was 2x2x2 and 150 stones I think.

Herbal case: 6 length x 3 width x 3 height x 60 weight
Foraging apron: 3 length x 3 width x 3 height x 200 weight
Herb pouch: 2 length x 2 width x 2 height x 150 weight

Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/07/2012 06:18 PM CDT
Ah ok, thanks for the info. I just assumed that a case would always be larger than a pouch.
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/08/2012 09:53 AM CDT
>> is that averaging quality, app

Quality, I suppose you would say. All of its alchemical attributes will be averaged. So if you have a fabulously awesome six-part cebi root foraged by Kalika herself and that was smiled upon by Kuniyo, and a crappy six-part cebi root that wasn't so much foraged as tripped over by a drunken halfling on the way to a water polo match... if you put them both in your herb stacker they will combine to form a 12-part cebi root that is more or less totally unexceptional.

Melete
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/08/2012 12:00 PM CDT
>a crappy six-part cebi root that wasn't so much foraged as tripped over by a drunken halfling on the way to a water polo match...

What if certain cultures (especially perhaps Olvi cultures) see that such a occurence would embue said crappy cebi root, with mysterious and quasi SUPER DUPER AWESOME abilities?

Sorry, I umm well don't like it when the Olvi get trampled on, I think I understand your suggestion, just was a little hurt on behalf of the Olvi everywhere.
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 09/08/2012 12:03 PM CDT
>>was a little hurt on behalf of the Olvi everywhere

^that is funny.

The Shard Sentinel nods to Alexii and says, "Yes, you may pass."
Alexii says, "Sucker!"
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 10/02/2012 07:28 AM CDT
Has this shop closed now ? I only heard about it yesterday.

Words Words Words .. in the end thats all it is
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 10/02/2012 08:31 AM CDT
Yep, sorry I meant to post something about this. Shop is closed (in both prime and plat) but it should be back for future guildfests. :]

Melete
Salvur puts his hands in front of him to imitate a squirrel and scoots around the room, occasionally stopping to say "Do the squirrel dance!" in an obnoxiously loud voice.
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 10/02/2012 10:16 AM CDT

Might it be possible for these new herb pouch/case things which seems pretty awesome, might make an appearance in Hollows eve fest ?

Words Words Words .. in the end thats all it is
Re: Empath Guildfest Merchant is Finally Here! 10/02/2012 12:12 PM CDT
I bought a few extras if you want one. My IM is Eyuve.

-- Player of Eyuve