Prev_page Previous 1
Heal Update 12/06/2017 05:07 AM CST
>>DR-Armifer: The revised versions of Heal and Devour got released into a Plat preview this evening. They're Melete's project, so I'll let her or the Plat players go into more detail.

Any details on the revised version of Heal?

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Empath new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_new_player_guide

Empath hunting ladder: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_hunting_ladde
Re: Heal Update 12/06/2017 05:52 PM CST
The posts in the Necro folders should be fairly representative. I'll post more details when the spell is released to Prime and Test.

Empaths don't have to use materials/corpses to use the spell, of course, but it is becoming a ritual spell. I'd like you guys to try it out before passing judgement on that aspect of the changes, though, because the spell has been completely rewritten.

Melete
Nature, it seems, is the popular name
for milliards and milliards and milliards
of particles playing their infinite game
of billiards and billiards and billiards.
Re: Heal Update 12/07/2017 10:01 AM CST

> Empaths don't have to use materials/corpses to use the spell, of course, but it is becoming a ritual spell. I'd like you guys to try it out before passing judgement on that aspect of the changes, though, because the spell has been completely rewritten.

I'm trying to withhold judgement until i play with the spell, but can I ask a higher level question? How does heal fit in with the general ecosystem for empaths? Right now we have a heal over time, Regen, another heal over time option, herbs, and now a new heal over time option, heal. It wasn't particularly useful as it was, but it was a big heal you could cast on demand without targeting a thing to heal.
Re: Heal Update 12/07/2017 11:02 AM CST

I wager this will let Empaths who are using other cyclics (GS or AD) still output heavy and steady heals without requiring require they fall to the ground stunned (FoC). It's certainly a fairly niche situation (i.e., Empath being injured but still able to hunt, or Empath healing allies but still wanting to hunt), but it seems like a pretty good option.
Re: Heal Update 12/07/2017 11:18 AM CST

> It's certainly a fairly niche situation (i.e., Empath being injured but still able to hunt, or Empath healing allies but still wanting to hunt),

Isn't that regen now?

@Melete, can this not heal bleeding wounds that are tended or recently tended? That would give it an everyday use distinct from regen today.
Re: Heal Update 12/07/2017 11:22 AM CST
<<it is becoming a ritual spell>>

That surprises me a little, it should be interesting to see how it works out. I imagine you've got a focus for the Healing book queued up for the usual Crossing shop? If we get many more ritual spells from different books, I might have to consider biting the bullet and spending a slot on the feat for a universal one, haha.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Heal Update 12/07/2017 03:37 PM CST

>Isn't that regen now?

No - Regen is a cyclic, this is not. The point is you can use this AND use GS, IZ, or AD (not sure why you'd be using AD, but still)
Re: Heal Update 12/07/2017 05:11 PM CST
>>How does heal fit in with the general ecosystem for empaths?

This probably not much of an incentive for many Empaths, but HEAL can be used when permashocked, and Regen and FoC can't. Shock's impact on HEAL is also capped as with all "soft shock" spells, which isn't the case with FoC and Regen.

Additionally, HEAL is actually pretty smart now, about how it heals. The wound priority logic is completely different from before. I think HEAL would be pretty good in high-stress situations such as PvP, invasions (both as a hunter and a healer) etc., for that reason.

And yes, as others have said, it frees you up to use your cyclic for something else.

>> I imagine you've got a focus for the Healing book queued up for the usual Crossing shop?

Yep! :)

Melete
Re: Heal Update 12/31/2017 03:55 PM CST
<< I'll post more details when the spell is released to Prime and Test.>>

Any chance we're getting close to this happening? I seem to recall that these previews usually tend to be on the order of "about a week unless something blows up", and it's been several now. I suppose it could just be that something did, in fact, blow up, but I was just wondering.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Heal Update 12/31/2017 05:14 PM CST
>>Any chance we're getting close to this happening? I seem to recall that these previews usually tend to be on the order of "about a week unless something blows up", and it's been several now. I suppose it could just be that something did, in fact, blow up, but I was just wondering.

Sorry for the delay, I am currently recovering from pneumonia. Fun times. ;D

Nothing has blown up, I just want to be in a state to actually fix any problems that arise when it hits prime.

Melete
Re: Heal Update 12/31/2017 05:22 PM CST
Oof, that stinks. Thanks for the update, and hope you feel better.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Heal Update 12/31/2017 06:49 PM CST

Take your time on this one! Feel better.
Re: Heal Update 12/31/2017 08:07 PM CST
By way of compromise, I've made sure this is live in test. Feel free to try to break the crud out of it. Kindly post/bug any bugs you find.

Melete
Re: Heal Update 12/31/2017 09:01 PM CST
<<Kindly post/bug any bugs you find.>>

Hey cool, thanks. So far I've got "the duration way shorter than that of a normal ritual spell".

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Heal Update 12/31/2017 09:25 PM CST
Not sure if it's a bug or not, but the spell seems to be ending before it's short duration (about 30 minutes at max mana, which is weird no matter what "type" of spell it is) without healing very much. Basically I went into combat, and it triggered each time I got an insignificant wound. It seems to trigger 5 times and then terminate, no matter how little of its healing potential that actually consumes. That seems like an undesirable arrangement, but I feel like it was mentioned as intentional before. I would suggest one of the following changes:

1. Keep the "only 5 pulses" limitation, but don't have them trigger automatically. Make the caster use some verb when they want the spell to activate, so that they can wait until they're "actually injured" if they want.

2. Remove the "only 5 pulses" limitation, and let the spell use up either its whole duration or entire healing potential, whichever comes first.

3. Make it a normal spell instead of a ritual, so having to recast after having the healing potential wasted is less of a big deal.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Heal Update 12/31/2017 10:21 PM CST
I'm getting the same 5 pulses as Karthor at 472 mana and 130% potency spell stance. The spell heals for 8 lines of healing each pulse.

This might be a bug or not, but on the fifth pulse if it doesn't heal 8 lines it doesn't show the spell dropping message of "You feel the warmth in your flesh gradually subside." The spell just disappears.

>
A nearly-painful prickling sensation surges through you as your protective healing matrix focuses on the worst hurts to your body.

The external scars on your right leg appear completely healed.
The internal scars on your right leg appear completely healed.
>perc all
>
You reach out with your senses and see luminous (14/21) streams of vibrant blue and white Life mana flowing through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is glowing (11/21) mana to the west, lambent (12/21) mana to the south, and pale (7/21) mana to the east.
You sense a superficial manifestation of the Heal matrix within you, which should last for twenty-eight roisaen.
You sense the Iron Constitution spell upon you, which will last for about twenty-seven roisaen.
You sense the Refresh spell upon you, which will last less than a roisan.
You sense the Mental Focus spell upon you, which will last for about twenty-four roisaen.
You sense the Gift of Life spell upon you, which will last for about twenty-four roisaen.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
Re: Heal Update 12/31/2017 10:38 PM CST
Question for you Melete, is this spell going to stay in its current slot in the spell tree? I've been playing with it a bit on test and it does seem a bit under powered for the time and mana it requires. It seems to pulse at the same rate as Regenerate and for my mana I'd rather have Regen going. I can think of times this might be a useful spell to have, but I won't be using it hardly ever as it currently stands.

Anyone wanting to see a brief view of it in use:

https://pastebin.com/raw/7Ub0WmB8
Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 12:50 AM CST

I tend to agree. I can see why necros would love to have this spell, but it really just seems like a weaker version of regen. I can't think of any situation where it's going to take less time and effort to cast a ritual spell than to just throw up a stronger regen for a few seconds. I for one will miss the indiscriminate quick heal that was "old heal".
Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 04:49 AM CST

Using a ritual isn't that hard, PoP is afterall. This new incarnation is useful when your still have gs up.
Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 09:40 AM CST

I didn't say it was hard. I said that I don't see a reason to use it over regen except in the most fringe cases (notably where you need both going at once for some unknown reason). It has a use now. It's still niche, but it's a unique tool in the toolcase. The change wouldn't be nearly so bad if this weren't a ritual spell, but I suspect that's in there because of necros, and using the same template is just easier.

> Using a ritual isn't that hard, PoP is afterall. This new incarnation is useful when your still have gs up.

Option 1:

> prep regen 15
[no rt], do your thing.

> put release cyclic
> put cast
[3 second RT, no concentration hit. No focus. Lasts until you're ready for it to stop].

Keep up as long as you want then swap back to GS or the brawling buff practically no one uses.

Option 2:

> Prep heal 400
> Invoke your focus
[20 second RT due to your focus]

> Cast
[Huge mana and concentration hit]

> ...
[Wait a few minutes, go to 1]

Old Way:

> Prep heal 40
[no rt, do your thing]

> harn 20
[pause 1-3]

> harn 20
[pause 1-3]

> Cast
[top four wounds are healed, no waiting, no hassle of targeting the right wound internal/external or perceiving self]
Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 09:52 AM CST
>>The change wouldn't be nearly so bad if this weren't a ritual spell, but I suspect that's in there because of necros, and using the same template is just easier.

Mechanically, devour isn’t a ritual spell.

Thematically, there is a good argument that preparing a corpse can count as a ritual.

I’d also factor in that not all ritual devices are 20 seconds.

I can see heal working in a similar setting to how devour can work: when you want a quick and dirty way to clean up your wounds, or if you feel you’ll be in a setting where you’re going to quickly take on some wounds and want them automatically addressed ASAP.

My understanding is that the duration of both heal and devour is kinda/sorta a stopgap measure to make sure it runs as long as it would typically need to. There’s no expectation it would last more than a few minutes because (assuming it works like devour) it fades if there is nothing left to heal.

I would imagine heal could be useful if you want to start drawing wounds from a few sources but want something that (I assume) triggers faster/harder than regen.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 10:33 AM CST
<<My understanding is that the duration of both heal and devour is kinda/sorta a stopgap measure to make sure it runs as long as it would typically need to. There’s no expectation it would last more than a few minutes because (assuming it works like devour) it fades if there is nothing left to heal.>>

I'm pretty sure having it stick around in "standby mode" is pretty much the entire point of the rewrite. It does, in fact, not fade if there's nothing left to heal. It hangs around and waits for injuries to be present.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 12:44 PM CST
So you aren't over-reading what I'm typing here, I think this is a bad change for empaths, but I don't think it's going to cause anyone a lot of problems. You're really just making a niche ability even more niche, to the point of obsolescence. But it's not like heal is a bread and butter spell. It's just a nice convenience spell now, and after the change it's just padding. Like YS for warrior mages.

> I’d also factor in that not all ritual devices are 20 seconds.

Yeah, okay. If I manage to find and buy a 50% ritual voucher then you have a 10s RT.

> I can see heal working in a similar setting to how devour can work: when you want a quick and dirty way to clean up your wounds,

You just described heal as it is today. It heals four wounds, worst to best. It's a great way to keep yourself alive if you don't want to drop GS or just want to casually clean stuff up while training utility. If the new heal wasn't a ritual then it wouldn't be that bad since you could effectively do the same, just slower.

> or if you feel you’ll be in a setting where you’re going to quickly take on some wounds and want them automatically addressed ASAP.

That's what I mentioned earlier as the one niche I see this fulfilling, but I can't think of anything in this entire game that gives you a mass of scratches, is something that needs to be handled ASAP (rather than letting regen do it's job), and is life threatening. BS solves the emergency bleeder problems faster and better. Regen solves the slow healing problem. The spot wound and scar heals solve the emergency locations. Heal is (was?) the no-thought, just grab stuff or get the big wounds now spell. Now it's regen lite, which is fine, really. I just don't see a point in using it when I have dedicated spells that already fulfil that need better.
Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 12:47 PM CST

> I'm pretty sure having it stick around in "standby mode" is pretty much the entire point of the rewrite. It does, in fact, not fade if there's nothing left to heal. It hangs around and waits for injuries to be present.

@Melete, Honestly, can we just make this it's own spell? I didn't test for that functionality, but a dormant, reactive healing is a new niche entirely. I'd love it to sit side by side with heal as it exists today.
Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 01:48 PM CST
>>You just described heal as it is today. It heals four wounds, worst to best.

Unless new heal works differently than new devour (I’m skeptical), doesn’t new heal fix way more than four wounds?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 01:54 PM CST

So, again, that 'niche' situation is when you want to put out heavy heals AND have a GS out. That's a perfectly valid situation. It's even moreso valid because Heal seems to go dormant, meaning you have a large window over which heavy heals still pulse on you, WHILE having a GS out. That's... pretty amazing.

>Unless new heal works differently than new devour (I’m skeptical), doesn’t new heal fix way more than four wounds?

Assuming DEVOUR and HEAL work similarly, yes, way more. Each pulse seems to be akin to a Regen pulse.
Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 02:18 PM CST
> So, again, that 'niche' situation is when you want to put out heavy heals AND have a GS out.

But GS isn't a prereq for it. What use do you see it serving for people who don't have GS? Maybe people who want Regen, and so grab Heal because it's a prereq?
Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 04:36 PM CST

>But GS isn't a prereq for it. What use do you see it serving for people who don't have GS? Maybe people who want Regen, and so grab Heal because it's a prereq?

The prereqs here aren't my point. For people who don't have GS, but do have Regen, I don't envision Heal being particularly useful.

For people who hunt with a GS, and still want to be able to periodically put up pretty massive heals (which is what Heal did before anyway), I view this as a pretty sizeable improvement to Heal, that makes it even more potent than before, because it's effectively like getting a handful of Regen pulses, without having to drop GS and put up Regen.

Sarkranis has requested a few times that Heal maintain or gain functionality for being more directed, such as CAST SCARs or CAST WOUNDs or CAST REVERSE (to heal minor wounds first instead of major wounds), and I think that'd be a really valid addition as a metaspell for Empaths who want to maintain pet bleeders.
Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 05:43 PM CST

> Unless new heal works differently than new devour (I’m skeptical), doesn’t new heal fix way more than four wounds?

The difference is in severity and time.

> So, again, that 'niche' situation is when you want to put out heavy heals AND have a GS out. That's a perfectly valid situation.

You mean when you expect a lot of wounds very quickly in a lot of different areas of minor severity each? That's not "niche". That's Niche. I can't think of a case where that happens now. Moreso if it stays as a ritual spell because now you have additional application time and cost to consider.

Again, I don't think this is the end of the world, but it's unfortunate to see something unique lost for something that's arguably less powerful and redundant. Especially considering that we have more slots than we can spend today. Why not just make this spell go by a different name, and we keep both?
Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 05:44 PM CST

And to be clear, I think the pre-damage application is pretty cool. I'm glad to see that added to the toolkit. I'd just prefer it be added to rather than be an exchange.
Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 05:53 PM CST
>>You mean when you expect a lot of wounds very quickly in a lot of different areas of minor severity each? That's not "niche". That's Niche. I can't think of a case where that happens now.

I'll admit that text isn't always good at picking up sarcasm, so I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not.

I also think heal (and devour) do a lot more than just heal wounds with "minor severity". Devour is at least pretty dang good at healing notable wounds, and AFAIK they are of similar strength/power.

Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 06:14 PM CST

Because no that isn't an analogous situation.

New heal represents more healing than the old Heal. That means if you're hunting something that can injire you, it takes less casts of healing spells to heal you, AND you don't have to drop GS to cast Regen.

I'm honestly not sure how else to emphasize that. The cool improvement here is that you don't ha e to drop GS to cast Regen to effectively get 5 pulses of Regen. I'm not sure how you can call that niche or find that underwhelming.

If you want to argue that you don't get injured healing, or that casting heal was already sufficient, fine. But this is a pretty useful tool to anyone who gets injured while hunting and hunts with a GS or AD.
Re: Heal Update 01/01/2018 08:53 PM CST
>> I suspect that's in there because of necros, and using the same template is just easier.

This is not the reason. It's basically a balance thing, for various types of balance. I was reluctant to recost the spell, or add on a bunch of metaspells.

>> having it stick around in "standby mode" is pretty much the entire point of the rewrite. It does, in fact, not fade if there's nothing left to heal. It hangs around and waits for injuries to be present.

Yes, this is pretty much the biggest draw I see for this spell. Someone mentioned that there is a bug with the Devour duration for necros in test (for some reason), it's meant to be a pre-cast HoT spell that just hangs out until you get wounded.

>>This might be a bug or not, but on the fifth pulse if it doesn't heal 8 lines it doesn't show the spell dropping message of "You feel the warmth in your flesh gradually subside." The spell just disappears.

Seems like a bug to me!

>> "the duration way shorter than that of a normal ritual spell".

I will have a gander.

>>people comparing this to a not-as-good regen

Just by way of a note, regen heals wounds randomly, this spell does not. I don't have the code in front of me but a huge part of this spell is how it prioritizes wounds, an irritating amount of the code is dedicated just to that. Not sure if anyone has actually noticed this or considered it to be beneficial, but hey. Just because it looks kind of regen-y does not mean that it's just pulsing regen a few times, under the hood, for whatever that is worth.

>>Keep the "only 5 pulses" limitation + hunting = underwhelming

I will think about this.

Melete
Re: Heal Update 01/02/2018 05:21 AM CST
<<>>Keep the "only 5 pulses" limitation + hunting = underwhelming>>

<<I will think about this.>>

Thanks for giving it some thought. I've got another possible adjustment for consideration:

4. Keep the "only 5 pulses" limitation as it is, but add a CAST option to specify the minimum severity of injury that must be present in order for the spell to trigger. So you could CAST HARMFUL, etc, and any injuries below that severity would be ignored as far as determining whether or not a healing pulse will occur. Injuries below that threshold can still be healed with excess power from a particular pulse, they just won't trigger it. Leaving the severity option blank would have it work like the current new version, which would be effectively the same as CAST INSIGNIFICANT.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Heal Update 01/02/2018 06:31 PM CST

I'd just like to throw in here that not every empath has access to regenerate (or ever will), so a "less good regenerate" seems like it might be worthwhile.
Re: Heal Update 01/02/2018 08:01 PM CST
Question for you Melete. Does this version of Heal work when fully shocked? Regenerate doesn't so I could see Heal filling in very nicely for that as a 'full shock' reduced Regen. I know healing spells are diminished when full shock but it could still help. Any chance you could put that table of shock dials back in Test so we could try testing it out?
Re: Heal Update 01/02/2018 08:19 PM CST
New Heal working as Regen-lite for shocked Empaths is a valid concern. But in that case, shocked Empaths can't cast FoC, so they're losing their castable healing spell by replacing old Heal with new Heal.
Re: Heal Update 01/03/2018 09:05 AM CST

FoC is less viable as a combat spell than Ritual Heal is by virtue of FoC throwing you to the ground, possibly stunning you, AND hitting Vitality and Fatigue. The ritual RT is way better than that.
Re: Heal Update 01/03/2018 08:39 PM CST
New unrelated thought bubble. This might be too last-minute and beyond the scope of the changes, but would you consider allowing Heal to persist through death and keep working until it runs out of juice? I gave that a try in Test just out of curiosity, and the spell faded upon death like they normally do. I seem to recall folks asking for something like that before, and this made me think of it, so I figured I'd go ahead and ask.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Heal Update 01/03/2018 08:43 PM CST

> New unrelated thought bubble. This might be too last-minute and beyond the scope of the changes, but would you consider allowing Heal to persist through death and keep working until it runs out of juice? I gave that a try in Test just out of curiosity, and the spell faded upon death like they normally do. I seem to recall folks asking for something like that before, and this made me think of it, so I figured I'd go ahead and ask.

Yeah. This needs to be a spell or metaspell or something. Maybe a metaspell tied to fount of creation.
Prev_page Previous 1