Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/23/2016 11:26 AM CDT
Something occurred to me about the GS special attack after doing a run through the Duskruin arena. Originally I just wanted it to be smarter about when it uses it, but then it struck me that it's really strange that it even has a non-damaging special attack in the first place. It seems to me that debilitations like that should be left to the Empath supporting the warrior (since that's something they can actually do) rather than being something the warrior tries to do itself. Is there any chance the throwing star attack could be replaced with something that's an actual damaging attack?

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/23/2016 02:35 PM CDT

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah. What about changing the special attack into an AoE swing, a la Whirlwind?
Re: Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/23/2016 03:46 PM CDT
I'd love for this to change also. Heck, I'd be happy for a toggle to turn off the special attack so the warrior would just attack more often.
Re: Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/23/2016 04:14 PM CDT
>>Is there any chance the throwing star attack could be replaced with something that's an actual damaging attack?

I think when I wrote it I was just ripping off the mud man. I'm not opposed to changing it to damaging -- suggestions?

Melete
Nature, it seems, is the popular name
for milliards and milliards and milliards
of particles playing their infinite game
of billiards and billiards and billiards.

Fine Print:

Doesn't mean that I can get approval for changing it or will ever actually change it, but I'm not opposed to the idea.
Re: Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/23/2016 05:09 PM CDT
>I think when I wrote it I was just ripping off the mud man. I'm not opposed to changing it to damaging -- suggestions?

Chain lightning? :)
Re: Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/23/2016 05:32 PM CDT

>>I think when I wrote it I was just ripping off the mud man. I'm not opposed to changing it to damaging -- suggestions?

Anything that gives the GS more dps would be very welcome, they're downright geriatric as it stands. Maybe allow VIGOR cast on them to increase their attack speed or something? Or asking them to stance offensively could have them trade in their one hander for a greatsword?
Re: Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/23/2016 06:09 PM CDT
>>DR-Melete: I think when I wrote it I was just ripping off the mud man. I'm not opposed to changing it to damaging -- suggestions?

Ranged damage and/or impact would be nice.

While we're on the topic of improvements to Guardian Spirit, I'd like to restate some suggestions:

It would be great if GS had additional weapon options. Although you can command it to pick up a different weapon, it's limited to small and large edged. (Some creatures are resistant to blades.)

Ideally, there would be casting syntax (or a command) to use a different weapon type of store-bought (e.g. Milgrym's) quality. Maybe unlocking those other options is skill-based, analogous to the way a warrior's armor depends on the skill of the caster.

Alternatively (or in addition to the store-bought options built into the spell), you could command your warrior to pick up any one-handed weapon.

I would also like to be able to cast any of our augmentation spells on our warriors.

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Empath new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_new_player_guide

Empath hunting ladder: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_hunting_ladde
Re: Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/23/2016 06:16 PM CDT
<<I think when I wrote it I was just ripping off the mud man. I'm not opposed to changing it to damaging -- suggestions?>>

Neat. If we want to stick with the throwing star theme, maybe it could be turned into a thrown weapon attack instead of just a stunner. It would always lodge like a HURL (preferably pretty nastily), so that the normal lodged weapon damage over time thing can come into play. That seems like it would be reasonable without going overboard.

I don't really know enough about what the alfar are supposed to be all about to come up with another thematically appropriate special attack.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/23/2016 06:30 PM CDT
<<Neat. If we want to stick with the throwing star theme, maybe it could be turned into a thrown weapon attack instead of just a stunner. It would always lodge like a HURL (preferably pretty nastily), so that the normal lodged weapon damage over time thing can come into play. That seems like it would be reasonable without going overboard.>>

Oo, or if we want to make it more "special", the star could burrow further in over time instead of working its way out like normal lodged objects do. That's starting to sound more like the sort of special attack the GMs would give creatures to try and kill players with :P

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/23/2016 06:38 PM CDT

> Chain lightning? :)

I second this. If that doesn't work, let the stars be ninja stars. Piercing / Impact. Thrown very fast, and faster still if they have Vigor up. Think 2-4 seconds between throws.
Re: Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/23/2016 09:16 PM CDT
I would love anything to make the GS kill things faster. It takes sooooo long compared to basically everything.

__
A swamp troll looks at you.
Re: Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/23/2016 09:38 PM CDT

I don't really have an issue with my GS killing at a decent pace, but considering all my Empath is doing is debuffing and sleeping opponents, it seems like it would be great if the GS got some more oomph.

Personally, I'd prefer getting away from the 'give your GS a weapon' paradigm, as that's just an annoying mechanical mess, and think it would make more sense to simply command the GS to switch the weapon it was using, brought over from the fae lands or whatnot. They come with armor, surely they can carry a couple extra weapons of their own?
Re: Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/23/2016 10:24 PM CDT

Or have it "clone" the weapon you're holding.
Re: Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/25/2016 01:52 AM CDT
If its already a throwing star, how about just modeling it off of the throwing blade template, and get multi hits out of it based on skill and mana channeled into the spell?

This would achieve both additional oomph on the TM experience, unique enough to be like a special attack, without necessarily making it too powerful like an AoE.
Re: Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/25/2016 07:56 AM CDT

I still see that being an issue if the GS is using it at melee.
Re: Guardian Spirit Special Attack 09/30/2016 11:26 PM CDT
<If its already a throwing star, how about just modeling it off of the throwing blade template, and get multi hits out of it based on skill and mana channeled into the spell?

It's not just any throwing star, it's a black hole!