Top and Bottom Spells? 04/06/2016 07:05 PM CDT
As we're going over each spell as part of Magic 3.2, this is a good opportunity for making quality-of-life updates too. So! What are your top five and bottom five Empath spells, and why?

GM Grejuva
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/06/2016 08:46 PM CDT
Top spells in no specific order

1: Regen. It heals without interaction, it trains utility. Ease of use makes this my most used spell

2: Paralysis. It trains TM.

3: Inno: Just for it's usefulness in clearing away mobs on me

4: IC, Ref, AgS, GoL, Vigor, Tranq, MeF. I like to hunt and these are the ones I keep up while doing that. (unless I use absol then swap out gol for that)

5: The rest of the healing spells.

Less used spells

5: Compel. Very handy vs Snotty players. Would be immensely better if it caused them to Stand and Flee if they were not already standing

4, 3, 2: All the rest of the spells here.

1: GS. It was gutted to uselessness. Since 3.0 came about I have not been able to use this spell to successfully kill ANYTHING. Even creatures I cannot learn TM from. I used to hunt constantly. This was my Favorite spell. Now due it it's difficulty (requiring 250 ranks to cast) How mana intensive it is and how SLOW the Avenger is, I advise new empaths to avoid this spell. It's functionally worthless for hunting unless you are very highly skilled.

My suggestion for GS. Drop it's difficulty down to Advanced (80 skill starting) Drop the mana cost to 4-20, Cap the skill out at like 400 ranks and Speed the avengers attack rate up to be on par with mudman (just the attack rate, not the offensive factors or whatever, tho if you wanted to do that I wouldn't complain).

Not all of us like to hunt undead via absolution and there are major gaps with constructs. Not to mention mixed critters. It's just a hassle. I would much prefer having my functional GS back.

~Kiriawen~
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/06/2016 08:57 PM CDT
What ranks of TM do you have, and what have you tried to kill with it that it won't kill anything?

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/06/2016 09:55 PM CDT
Top spells (no specific order because I'm a bit lazy):

1) Regen: Once I got it I couldn't live without it. Favorite spell because it is so easy to use, great in triage, keeps me nice and healthy without effort.

2) Guardian Spirit: I trained my TM a lot prior to 3.0 so I love the new GS. Love the messaging, the interaction, and everything about this spell. To be honest sometimes I think this spell brings me to play my Empath more than healing does.

3) Aesandry Darlaeth: Really just the fact this pulses to a group gets it on my list. I really like group hunting even though it can be hard to work out, but keeping a group and myself healed with regen and using AD when everyone is healthy enough makes me feel like I can impact combat and really help the team.

4) Vigor/IC: awesome combat spells and love the interaction of Vigor with GS. With the buffing and GS cast custom, sometimes I feel like my Empath is way more a "pet class" than my Necromancer. There is such a great interaction of Empath and Spirit and great roleplaying possibilities with the Fae and summoning the same GS over and over (plus GS alterations!).

5) Nissa's Binding/Paralysis: It lost a bit of its teeth to me in 3.0. But this spell has always been one of my favorites when dealing with people attacking my Empath or putting down someone who thinks empaths are harmless. Sleeping someone and letting my GS or dragging them into dangerous areas was always just an enjoyable thing. Paralysis helps with this now too.

Honorable Mention: Compel - Another great RP spell for those rougher, non-huggy Empaths. I love Compelling people out of the room when they are annoying (although it would be nice if they couldn't just walk back into the room right away). Just fun RP spell in certain situations.

Bottom Spells (Same as above but here it really is hard for me to pick because I think most spells are great and fit the guild well):

1) Heal: There are only a few things that make this ok. One being the period where you learn it and don't know Foc/Regen, this is just a horrible time but heal is super scriptable yay. In general if I really want to heal I still use HW and HS in most areas.

2) Heart Link: Great spell for the rare times I would use it. Now that I don't need it as a precursor for casting Nissa's, I almost never use it. At least at my level, transferring vitality (using VH) or disease/poison is almost always better. Perhaps if it was a special persistent link that we could cast on one person (even if they leave the room) to keep healing them during it then that would be better.

3) Adaptive Curing: Another great spell on paper that I realize I never use despite hunting down a scroll of it. Most of the time I just prefer to cast it after the fact that way I can have all the disease or poison first and then flush it out.

4) Awaken: Same as above. Just rarely find the time to use it since I feel like so few people get a stun/unconscious while around an empath to remove it.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/06/2016 10:00 PM CDT
When I initially came back after 3.0 I had ~110 ranks of TM and was going against Sand Sprites. Which stop teaching at 70 ranks. I could not kill a single sprite. I was box hunting. I eventually gave up.

Prior to 3.0 I was able to use my GS to hunt Black Leucro's and elder brocket deer without any issue at all.

Due to the changes to GS I totally stopped hunting.

Now Kiriawen is 75th circle, my Utility is around 320'ish and TM is ~160. I can put about 16 mana into the spell and can maintain it for about 15 minutes before I run out of mana. (this is without casting ANY other spells.)

With it, during the 15 minutes I am capable of keeping it running, I am able to kill maybe 1 black leucro. That's if the leucro's don't all gang up on my avenger and kill it first.

I have another character(ranger) with less TM (140's) that is able to kill black leucro's without issue and is able to maintain 11 buff spells all the while.

Really it boils down to the spell is too hard to use for any meaningful hunting situation until you are able to put in and maintain the spell at more than 50% of it's mana cap. Dropping the difficulty down to an advanced and dropping the mana costs makes it useful for lower level empaths. As it is now, even at 75th circle, I would say the spell really isn't worth taking.

~Kiriawen~
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? (GS Tangent) 04/06/2016 10:32 PM CDT
Are you using STANCE OFFENSE and BEHAVE AGGRESSIVE when you bring it out? Casting the GS at higher mana helps, but it's usually better to just sustain it.

I can meet up with you and go into combat and see if there's some other pointers I might have as well. If you have AIM you can reach me at DRZamara.

Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/06/2016 10:39 PM CDT
I'll preface this with I have multiple Empath characters/accounts, so this is based on feedback from a few different circles of Empath.

Top 5 Spells:
1) Fountain of Creation: Powerful even when you first are able to cast it. Who cares about that recast timer because it's so NICE.
2) Regenerate: The gold standard of healing. Even at minimum mana it's amazing. At high levels of mana you feel pretty god-like in wound taking and healing powers.
3) Perseverance of Peri'el: Useful from the moment you can cast it. The messaging is both helpful and impactful to tell you what the spell is doing (saving your sorry life). Love it. Would probably marry it. Ritual cast time can be a hassle, especially if you want to refresh it in combat, but even on a young Empath who's just learned this spell that can be fixed with a cast of Innocence.
4) Guardian Spirit: Learning curve for some compared to the 2.0 version, but very versitle. The ability to give it weapons is great and helps with opening up more of the hunting ladder. Not being able to give it bonded weapons is still an annoyance. Do wish it had a ranged attack for flying creatures, but the special attack does at least land on those (stunning, and knocking them from the air).
5) Nissa's Binding: I miss when AOE's weren't capped to 6 creatures, and would really prefer 8 or 10. However, not a NB specific problem. The ability to CAST CREATURE and ignore your own GS is lovely and allows this to be used on hiding creatures, both to the Empath and any hunting partner (GS or otherwise's) benefit. Really sad this gives criminal charges in town, but it is an AOE (not an NB specific problem). Classic spell and very satisfying to watch things drop asleep.

Bottom 5 Spells:
1) Raise Power: This is a legacy spell that Empaths even have a mana raiser as a Magic Secondary guild, and I get that. This spells huge stamina drain and short 10 minute duration due to it being a combat buff make it next to useless. Even on a Big Empath with 100 stamina, and a capped Refresh, it takes several minutes to get all that fatigue back. The niche for this spell is too small.
How would I improve it: I'd like to see the duration raised, the fatigue cost reduced, or some kind of ability to work with the Circle of Sympathy tree for a longer duration/better mana boost.
2) Heart Link: Costs a lot of slots, does almost nothing you can't do with regular TAKE commands. By the time most Empaths have the spell slots and skill to get this spell, they can already do what it does on their own or better with TAKE. Rarely it's a help for poison/disease for growing Empaths. The only bonus is that it can do the vitality transfer without having the Empath present, but it's capped too low to do much and incredibly niche. I see a lot of people avoiding this spell, and generally recommend against taking it for the above reasons.
How would I improve it: Really I'd drop the slot cost if that was possible to 1, but seeing as that's probably not possible... Maybe allow this spell to let Empaths do more transference remotely other than the current options on it?
3) Compel: Doesn't do enough. On creatures, it knocks them out of the room and prevents returning for a little while. However, players can instantly return. Great for creatures but the player side needs work. Spell is still worth it for the cost though, and nice to have for managing those situations when the creature AI decides to pile a ton of things in your room for bizarre and rarely understood reasons.
How would I improve it: It'd be nice if it had a minor "confusion" aspect like being turned into a frog has for a few moments on players.
4) Heal: I almost wouldn't mention this one as GM Melete has already said it's planned to undergo some changes and become more of a "heal over time" spell. However, the current version of heal is very restrictive. Once an Empath gets it, it's hard to use and the mana costs make it rather inefficient. As they move up in skill, they get access to better tools like Fountain of Creation and Regeneration and mostly stop using this spell. It has a niche for awhile, but could be improved upon.
How would I improve it: The "heal over time" concept where it acts like a baby version of Regenerate seems neat, and I think that would give it more functionality. Basically you would cast Heal and the spell would be active for a certain number of pulses/amount of damage, but would be able to heal more in a single cast (potentially) than it does now.
5) Aesandry Darlaeth: We have two really cool cyclic spells (Regenerate and Guardian Spirit) and it's really hard to argue there would ever be a time to prefer AD over the two. AD used to pulse to group, a function which is still listed on the spell in game but hasn't worked reliably since Magic 3.1 rolled out. Now unless you're really fighting some really webbing or immobilizing creature I don't see why you'd prefer this spell over the other two options.
How would I improve it: Either make this not a cyclic spell, or bring back the group aspect.

I know I already hit 5 but these two honorable mentions (you did say you're looking at all spells):
6) Lethargy:I use this spell a lot, but it just does feel like it's doing much. Both on creatures and on players, it's hard to tell that the fatigue loss is having much of an impact. The lethargy loss on this spell is capped, though Cleric abilities that drain Spirit and the Thief Clout that drains Concentration do not have caps. However, similar guild abilities that damage Fatigue (Frostbite, Ambush Choke, Abandoned Heart) do also have a cap, and people don't seem that interested in those abilities for the fatigue penalty. Maybe that's more of an issue with how fatigue penalizing spells are handled than Lethargy specifically.
7) Circle of Sympathy: This is an extremely cool concept and I had to take this spell on my big Empath just because it amuses me. However, it's pretty rarely used across the board. It has absolutely no benefit to a solo player, and feels like it could use something more to it. I really like the idea of adding some kind of tie in with Raise Power to make both spells more effective. At least it's a cheap spell, slot cost wise.

Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 12:36 AM CDT
My perspective is someone who is more PVE, and lately has been playing more of a supporting role for another person in combat.

In terms of new spells, what I would like to see is more ways to buff other people. I can cast Vigor on my warrior, why not my husband (who is my REAL guardian AWWW)!

And I know its not necessarily about magic, but I just wanted to rant about healing in general, and why I like(d) being an empath, because that should help explain why I picked the spells I did.

At lower levels, healing is a VERY tactical game, one that I highly enjoyed. The slowness of my ability to take wounds, combined with my inability to snapcast healing spells or nuke my wounds away with FoC or Regen, made every other patient a nail-biting thrill ride. Trying to keep us both alive, manage bleeders, vitality, missing limbs... I honestly really miss it. At a certain stage, healing just becomes too easy, especially with "take all" and similar abilities. I can't handle the mania of triage during invasions, so I can't say if that tactical game ever comes back if you're a lone empath with 10 dead/dying people to care for. If it does, then I guess I'm just out of luck, forever stuck in the Too Good For One Patient Zone.

I'm nearing circle 90 now, and I'm bored with healing (and have been since around 60, maybe earlier) unless I restrict myself to not use Unity/"take all". Which I do, when I know my patient will survive my silly game and won't be mad that I'm not rushing. ANYWAY spells.

THE BEST:

1 -- Preservation of Pears - The best.

2 -- Innocence - LOVE IT. Wandering through hunting grounds petting all the beasties. A good snapcast is faster than retreating, wonderful for when I need a few minutes to focus on something without running to another room.

3 -- Lethargy - Very underrated. Cast this on every critter in the room and its almost like giving yourself +50 ranks in defense, in terms of how much longer you can stay in a hunting ground with critters that hit real hard. (+50 may be an exaggeration...) It's most useful when adapting to a new hunting area. I CAN tell the difference after I use it, and critters hit way less, giving me more time to regenerate my vitality from when they do hit.

4 -- Compel - Also underrated. A little rough that it needs 15 mana minimum, though. Helping someone hunt silver-backed bears, keeping Regenerate up for my Hand of Hodierna Link on them, and I NEED to be in the high mana room to manage to use this more than twice in a row. Keeping dire bears away, or getting that fourth bear off my patient's back... Before this, I used it to shoo snowbeasts away from gargoyles, and for that alone I adore it.

5 -- Vitality Healing - Seemed useless at lower levels. If you were dropping vitality that much, I always felt you'd be better off taking care of the source of the problem first. As a higher-level empath, I love it. Ant traps, cleric rituals, helping newbies stay alive with Hand of Hodierna... It is good.

5 -- Blood Staunching - Like VH, I feel if you're bleeding a lot and can't snapcast this, its better to use the spell prep time to fix the source. Unless you were a goober and took too many bleeding wounds in one go. At higher levels, a snapcast of this allows me to relax and assess the situation properly without worrying about myself. Very useful! I can count.

THE WORST:

1 -- Iron Constitution - Completely useless at lower levels. I've seen it flare about 5 times in my entire life, and that was because someone with 300 ranks in defenses shouldn't be trying black gargyoles. I didn't stick around long enough to find out if it was saving my life, though. Love the honey effect, though!

2 -- Aesandry Darlaeth - I've forgotten this spell about 6 times (why do I keep re-learning it???). I couldn't get it to work on a group (I think you need feats? Which meant another 6 circles before I could use it.) I don't ever find a use for it apart from letting me wriggle around while shifting. I suppose there may be some hunting critter that it would be super great for, but as a cyclic, I doubt any hunting empath is gonna give up their alfar to use it. (...UM, BASICALLY everything what Zamara said.)

3 -- Awaken - Sounds useless, never learned it, never been in a situation where it would have helped and you CAN SO yell meekly.

4 -- Adaptive Curing - I see no reason to use it. If a disease or poison can kill me in the 20 seconds it takes to cast the spell, I shouldn't be healing it, or should have prepped the spell before transfering the disease. Haven't had a box take me out either. Yet.

5 -- Heal - Aggravating in its inability to target wounds. Too weak to use at lower mana. Found myself casting it only for Utility training, and using the other spells for actual healing.

I ended up writing a little bit on ALL the spells I have... Most of my thoughts are boring, though, but here's the interesting parts.

COMPLICATED OPINIONS:

1 -- Guardian Spirit - Wooboy. Okay, I hated this at first. Same complaints as Kiriawen. Very slow attack, doesn't hit hard, takes WAY too much mana, didn't train well. I'd say I am just now starting to see its usefulness, with 300 TM, 400 Attunement/Utility. I've still not gotten around to using it to train TM with gryphons, but it helps thin the fledgelings out so I can get some Young to spawn. (I mostly just stick around long enough to mindlock defenses and TM/Debil, then skedaddle.) Right now I use it to backtrain skinning with black leucros, and its a beast there. I currently have no opinion on how much mana it takes, since I don't really need to cast anything else while doing that.

2 -- Regenerate - Love/hate it. Makes lazy empaths. Hate that it takes away the strategy of healing. Love being lazy.

3 -- Absolution - I refuse to use it for RP reasons... I was a little let down that the spell just kind of showed up. It was my first time seeing a new spell show up in the game, and I was expecting some scholar or researcher to show up and teach people how to use it, like I'd heard about Salvur teaching empaths how to do links or something. So because of its mystery origin, I don't trust it, and am one step away from wearing a sandwich board saying ABSOLUTION EMPATHS ARE NECROMANCER PLAYTHINGS.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 02:20 AM CDT
Thanks for the responses!

>>Aesandry Darlaeth: Really just the fact this pulses to a group gets it on my list.

So this has been a point of confusion among staff. Other than an incorrectly set flag, we can't find any trace of AD ever being a group spell in its code, messaging, or changelog. It doesn't really fit the spell, either.

>>Circle of Sympathy: This is an extremely cool concept and I had to take this spell on my big Empath just because it amuses me. However, it's pretty rarely used across the board. It has absolutely no benefit to a solo player, and feels like it could use something more to it. I really like the idea of adding some kind of tie in with Raise Power to make both spells more effective.

I'd like to hear more about this one. Is it rendered unnecessary by the current mana regeneration? Does it feel potent enough? It's probably going to stay as a group spell, but we could consider giving the tree additional powers through metaspells.

>>Iron Constitution - Completely useless at lower levels. I've seen it flare about 5 times in my entire life, and that was because someone with 300 ranks in defenses shouldn't be trying black gargyoles. I didn't stick around long enough to find out if it was saving my life, though. Love the honey effect, though!

IC is very, very powerful, but that's a fair point about lower levels. Still, its ease of casting helps in that regard.

>>Raise Power

RP's duration is slated to become on par with other mana-boosting spells. Whether it'll be an increase to RP or a decrease to the others remains to be seen.

>>Heart Link

This one is getting a slot reduction.

>>I can cast Vigor on my warrior, why not my husband

This is reasonable.

>>So because of its mystery origin, I don't trust it, and am one step away from wearing a sandwich board saying ABSOLUTION EMPATHS ARE NECROMANCER PLAYTHINGS.

Haha. Sounds like you're going to love Ic...I mean, IZ. (Or not.)

GM Grejuva
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 02:44 AM CDT
>> Haha. Sounds like you're going to love Ic...I mean, IZ. (Or not.)

::side-eye::

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 02:55 AM CDT
>>DR-Grejuva: As we're going over each spell as part of Magic 3.2, this is a good opportunity for making quality-of-life updates too. So! What are your top five and bottom five Empath spells, and why?

TOP FIVE SPELLS
Spell Explanation Suggestions
Absolution Sarkranis is primarily a combat Empath, so this has been my favorite change of all time. Being able to hunt the undead fills in a lot of gaps in the construct ladder and also gives more opportunities for skinning and locksmithing.
Guardian Spirit From the perspective of a serious combat Empath (and not a guild healer), I am thrilled with the changes to Guardian Spirit. Combat abilities should be based on combat skills. Furthermore, the circle/charisma-based formula of Guardian Spirit 2.0 meant that the spell capped way lower than it does now on the targeted magic model. I also like that you can tinker with the warrior's stance and weapon to maximize performance. It would be nice if warriors accepted any one-handed melee weapon instead of just edged weapons, as some creatures are resistant to blades. I'd also like to be able to cast more buffs on my warrior.
Regenerate This is the only spell I use when I want to be fully healed. Between Regenerate, wound reduction, and wound redirection, you can be a triage machine. Or you can combine this with Perseverance of Peri'el and Iron Constitution to be extremely annoying to kill. I would love some optional syntax to selectively target certain kinds of wounds, such as scars or internals.
Nissa's Binding Sometimes I forego using this spell when hunting with my warrior, as it can tax my attunement. (I am also maintaining other buffs.) However, if I am not hunting with my warrior, I am likely hunting with this spell. It trains debilitation, and the sleep effect gives you a bit of an extra edge in PvE. Increase duration for high-mana casts.
Perseverance of Peri'el I love the concept of this spell, and it works pretty well. I can definitely tell when it wears off, because that is when I start getting nailed. My only complaint is that it ablates more quickly than I'd like.

BOTTOM FIVE SPELLS
Spell Explanation Suggestions
Raise Power This spell has been useless to me since 3.0. By the time my fatigue recovers, the effect has worn off. I understand that this was part of a general push to make room mana boosters less pervasive and powerful, and that powerful room mana boosters are supposed to be the realm of magic primes. However, it would almost be better to scrap the spell if it has to be this useless. (See Sprout.) Increase the duration.
Heart Link Another spell I did not take. I agree with everything Zamara said about its cost and its being rendered redundant by other abilities. Reduce cost or improve functionality (possibly in conjunction with TAKE, Hand of Hodierna, or Circle of Sympathy)
Circle of Sympathy It does nothing for solo players. Even in a group setting, I am too selfish with my attunement to share. Maybe other effects would make me want to use this.
Awaken It seems like this spell often needs multiple casts to awaken another player. Increase potency.
Compel I like the concept of this spell, and I took it primarily to use against players who annoy Sarkranis. However, the spell occupies a very narrow niche, and the fact that it doesn't prevent an immediate return makes it lackluster. I'd like to see some kind of confusion effect that holds the target in the other room for a bit (or at least prevents returning to the same room).

SUGGESTIONS FOR OTHER SPELLS
Spell Comments Suggestions
Heal Many Empaths hate this spell. It's true that it makes no sense to use this spell if you want to be fully healed. However, I like its intelligent targeting by severity. I use it a lot to heal just my scars when I am trying to preserve bleeders, as I find it faster than casting Heal Scars on every scar. (I hate the whole concept of pet bleeders, but at my 1003 ranks of first aid, it's the only viable training method. I haven't heard any plans to improve high-level first aid training in the foreseeable future.) Currently, Heal supports optional "wounds" and "scars" syntax. I would like to add "external" and "internal" to that list. (In particular, I'd love to apply the intelligent targeting to just my internal wounds.)
Aesandry Darlaeth As others have noted, the effect is nice, but it's hard to argue that it's a better use of your precious cyclic slot than Guardian Spirit or Regenerate. The only time I use this spell is when I'm back-training against something that dies too quickly to my warrior. Make it a standard spell.
Lethargy Limited fatigue loss just does not do enough, either in PvE or PvP. Increase potency or add other debilitating effects.
Fountain of Creation This used to be my go-to spell for full healing. However, I find that it often backfires well below my personal cap. I suspect that this is due to the wound penalty, but that seems counterproductive, as serious wounds are when I most want to use this spell. I ultimately stopped using the spell in favor of Regenerate.

In general, I think any of our non-empathy augmentation spells should be castable on other players. Similarly, I'd like to be able to use both our augmentation spells and wards on our own warriors.

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Empath new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_new_player_guide

Empath hunting ladder: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_hunting_ladde
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 03:39 AM CDT
>>GAMERGIRL151: Circle of Sympathy: This is an extremely cool concept and I had to take this spell on my big Empath just because it amuses me. However, it's pretty rarely used across the board. It has absolutely no benefit to a solo player, and feels like it could use something more to it. I really like the idea of adding some kind of tie in with Raise Power to make both spells more effective.

>DR-GREJUVA: I'd like to hear more about this one. Is it rendered unnecessary by the current mana regeneration? Does it feel potent enough? It's probably going to stay as a group spell, but we could consider giving the tree additional powers through metaspells.

On smaller attunement characters it's definitely a noticeable help. I just don't see many people choosing to benefit from it on those smaller characters, and there's not really any incentive to donate your attunement to the pool on larger ones. Now, there doesn't necessarily have to BE an incentive, it just sort of seems sad to me that there's this cool spell that doesn't get much use. I definitely don't feel the real need to have it on either end of the spectrum, big or small Empaths, right now. Mana regen is typically not too hindering to taking wounds even in triage.

I hear some people tell me, "I don't join the COS because I can use my own mana more efficiently than a lower circle Empath." or "I feel bad because I'm taking up mana and backfiring spells." That's why I thought maybe it if also buffed attunement or had some other slight functionally people might use it more.

When I posted that feedback, I also wasn't taking into account the 3.2 mana regen changes into account. So the utility of COS may change with that. I haven't played around in test yet since there hasn't been much on the Empath front there.

Now you also mentioned potentially making Raise Power last longer. That would probably also go a long way to help COS being more useful just because you could buff the mana in the room where the COS tree is.

Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 03:46 AM CDT
It seems to me like bundling Raise Power into COS as a metaspell would be even better, IMO. I'm not sure why those functions need to be separate.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 06:01 AM CDT
On the Top/Bottom spells, I personally agree with what has been posted by Zamara and Sarkranis (really? Fancy table? :P).

on this bit though:
>>GS. It was gutted to uselessness. Since 3.0 came about I have not been able to use this spell to successfully kill ANYTHING.

I highly suggest having a sit down with Zamara. On a lark I rolled up a combat empath some time ago, and after several discussions and tips from Zamara I made the poor little angry Empath into a combat centric version. Prior to shelving him in favor of a new project his GS was playing whack-a-mole in Gryphons, and could kill things fast enough in some hunting areas that spawn was a problem. I suspect you're doing something wrong and could benefit from some assistance.

Samsaren
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 10:19 AM CDT
>It seems to me like bundling Raise Power into COS as a metaspell would be even better, IMO. I'm not sure why those functions need to be separate.

And leave the fatigue hit the same but extend the duration of RP to your COS duration. Solo cast COS would give you the RP effect with metaspell.

I want to see more magic trees.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 10:37 AM CDT
Also from the perspective of a combat-active empath:

Top 5:
Regenerate
Paralysis
Lethargy
Aesandry Darlaeth
Vitality Healing

I like vigor also, but not being able to cast it as a general buff (such as during invasions) is something I don't like. Refresh and Gift of Life are also frequently used. Compel was mentioned earlier, and I do like it for crowd control in pve. It's not as "core" for me as the above 5 though.

I use GS a lot too, though manipulate is a solid alternative. Generally I've found that I will use manipulate for the first while in a new area, and later use GS more once my TM has gone up. But by limiting the number to 5, I chose the above as more important.

Bottom 5:
awaken
circle of sympathy
raise power
heart link
fountain of creation

I tend to not use these. Fountain of Creation does an amazing job of healing fast, but the downsides are too sharp to use in combat, and I generally don't want to worry about mitigating those things at other times either. Some of the others have their place, but I just don't use them.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 11:08 AM CDT
> So this has been a point of confusion among staff. Other than an incorrectly set flag, we can't find any trace of AD ever being a group spell in its code, messaging, or changelog. It doesn't really fit the spell, either.

Well then please remove it from my Top list and put it on the bottom list like it deserves the filthy liar. I actually have been really debating what to play as a second main lately and wanted something with great synergy with groups to play with friends so I loved that elanthipedia had it listed as a pulse to group. I figured I just didn't put enough into the spell to really see it happening and it was something I would grow into with skill and potential feats.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 11:27 AM CDT
>>Nissa's Binding

Increasing duration isn't an option because that's standardized for all debilitation. Its mana cost is getting slashed by a third, though that's not specific to NB.

>>I want to see more magic trees.

Ditto. I have some ideas that I'm going to propose. We'll see!

Here's a new question:

How often do you use Regenerate in combat? When you want a defensive cyclic and have AD, do you still pick Regenerate?

GM Grejuva
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 11:33 AM CDT
> How often do you use Regenerate in combat? When you want a defensive cyclic and have AD, do you still pick Regenerate?

The only time I ever use AD in combat is to lock augmentation to be honest. Almost every time I want an actual cyclic for defense I would pick Regen. The balance heal is nice but as an empath Tactics keeps me in a good spot so it seems rather redundant with our suite.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 12:24 PM CDT
Top Spells:

Absolution - Having a way to "defeat walking death" is extremely fitting for the guild, and my character in particular. This one's great.

Regenerate - My go-to spell for field healing (I tend to gravitate toward FoC for non-combat healing). It pairs exceptionally well with the Hand of Hodierna ability.

Perseverance of Peri'el - This one's great. Keeping high vitality is really valuable, plus it's nice to be able to throw vitality around without having to worry so much about taking a hit.

Iron Constitution - I really like the concept of limiting incoming damage to some maximum possible value. It makes a really nice safety net.

Paralysis - Having a knockdown with immobilize is really nice. Plus TM training.

Bottom Spells:

Awaken - The duration is just way too short to get much use out of a self-cast, and the prep time is way too long (even on a battle spell) to really help others with it. My suggestion would be to make it a self-cast only non-battle spell with a number of "charges" set by the spell's potency. Charges trigger on the caster automatically, or can be triggered on someone else instantaneously by some verb (TOUCH or something else).

Raise Power - This one could also benefit from a longer duration. I hardly ever use it.

Heart Link - As others have mentioned, this one sounds awesome in theory but doesn't really see any use in practice because it's outperformed by just healing people. I think being able to cast it on a group all at once would help, but even then I'm not sure it would make more sense than just healing them all. I don't really know what to do here.

Circle of Sympathy - Nothing against this spell really, I just have to include it here since it's the only spell I didn't bother to take. If it had some sort of solo application I might consider it.

Lethargy - This one's a tough call. I cast it all the time and sometimes think it's making a difference, but for the most part it doesn't seem to do very much to the target.

Other QoL Issues:

There are several of our spells which exist in sort of a "standby" mode where they wait for some condition to be present before doing anything. I wish this "standby" mode had a longer duration, like that of a ritual spell. For Adaptive Curing (CD/FP), the spell's potency already limits how much it can cure over that duration, so just flat-out bumping the duration up seems like it wouldn't hurt anything or have any implications on balance. Likewise for Melete's planned updates to the Heal spell (what are the chances of said updates getting rolled into this project?). For Blood Staunching, the duration already drops once you start bleeding, so the same thing applies. I'd put Awaken in this category too, and I think the "number of charges" approach suggested above would keep it from being out of hand with a long duration.

Aesandry Darlaeth has a couple of bugs that I hope can be fixed in this round. The prep time thinks it's an AoE spell, and the web break function doesn't actually break webs when it says it does.

Guardian Spirits could stand to be smarter about when they use their special attack. They shouldn't use it if the target is prone, immobile, or otherwise incapacitated already. It slowed me down big time in Duskruin to have my warrior stunning things that were already prone and immobilized instead of just whacking them.

As has been mentioned, some of our spells should be able to be cast on others. Vigor is the main culprit here, but I'd also mention Tranquility.

To answer the question <<How often do you use Regenerate in combat? When you want a defensive cyclic and have AD, do you still pick Regenerate?>>: I pretty much only use Regenerate when I think there might be a possibility of doing some field healing, or if I'm wildly outclassed and don't have much hope of defending successfully even with AD. Other than that, AD is my go-to defensive cyclic. I don't really use GS very much, but it's a nice tool to have in my back pocket.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 05:06 PM CDT

I want to echo Sark and zamaras sentiments, as both have given me great advice for training my combat empath, which I find quite entertaining and effective.

That said, my biggest complaint about empaths as a whole is I feel like there's not much to do in combat. My routine is to cast lethargy, weave and circle a bit, and... Train other things. I feel like empaths could benefit from another tool or two for in combat fun, and I don't I repeat, I do not, mean absolution. I see the utility there, but have zero interest to use weapons, and find tm moves just fine with my Gs, and manipulate is a fun way to train empathy.

I would like another debil, or more synergy with GS. Maybe another thing involving manipulate, or another spell to do... Something.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 07:49 PM CDT
>DR-GREJUVA: How often do you use Regenerate in combat? When you want a defensive cyclic and have AD, do you still pick Regenerate?

If I need a defensive cyclic, I always go with Regenerate 100% of the time. AD doesn't do enough to offset how amazing the ability to passively heal wounds is in combat. I called Regenerate "the gold standard of healing" for a reason. Less wounds means you can have less vitality loss from stacking blows, and makes death from an outright missing vital area nearly impossible at higher skill and mana. Regen ticking away at 40 mana and 1000s in magics honestly makes Empaths incredibly "tanky". With POP and REGEN I've been able to fight things that badly outclass me for several minutes, or had multiple players come at me at once at fail to do any real damage.

Not directly related to this question, but I also frequently favor Regenerate on quests and invasions, because people will hit my GS with CAST CREATUREs when they don't want to. Now, that's not always a problem for me or my GS, but it can be a problem if I'm say, in a busy room and don't notice that the circle 30 Warrior Mage just AOE'd my GS. Now my GS has turned to face the circle 30 WM and he's about to have a very bad time while I'm busy healing someone else.

Most of the time when I'm with people at my circle/combat range, my GS just takes so much 'collateral' damage it's not worth bothering to have out, so I just stick to Regenerate unless I split off by myself. Not very group friendly that way, though.

I regularly hunt with friends and it would be nice if there was a CAST CREATURE like option that ignored GSes in general. Like a CAST EVIL or something (sorry-not-sorry Necros.) Or maybe if CAST CREATURE ignored a GS unless the owner or pet had already engaged the caster or vice versa.

I feel the need to defend Awaken's usefulness on a couple niches since so many people listed it in the bottom 5. If you do any of the dangerous researches, it's amazing to have on hand. You can cast awaken and have it up when you know your research will end, and if you get any of the stunning/unconscious ones you just shrug it off. Same thing for any other time you're using a lot of sorcery via runes or scroll.

Not a huge segment of Empaths will find this useful, but it's pretty nice to not have that LOOOOONG stun after researching High Energy Spellcasting to avoid power walking, for example. (I hate power walking with the burning passion of 10 thousand suns.)

It's also great if you're intentionally doing something that will give you shock. Awaken helps with the shock stuns, and you can shrug them off almost right away. Want to be a Prydaen Empath and eat some poor living creature? NO PROBLEM WITH THE POWER OF AWAKEN.

These are mainly #HLCProblems and something I only do on Zamara though.

I do miss when people went into shock and dying more often than flat out dead. That happens rarely now in 3.0, to the point that people are often confused by the state and don't know how to revive people in it (they primarily need vitality.) That's largely due to the rework of how bleeders, poisons, disease, and vitality in general works with combat 3.0 new player HP. Awaken was a lot more useful when people seemed to get stunned or slept for longer, but that's a model we've somewhat moved away from.

I'm not saying Awaken doesn't have room for improvement, but I feel like I get my mileage out of the current form.

Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 08:04 PM CDT
<<So this has been a point of confusion among staff. Other than an incorrectly set flag, we can't find any trace of AD ever being a group spell in its code, messaging, or changelog. It doesn't really fit the spell, either.

Someone once told me before the group thing was added to the wiki that it did and I was surprised because it didn't in 2.0 when I still played an empath. FWIW, they said it was only the balance regeneration that pulsed to the group. I was skeptical, but took them at face value since they were a relatively experienced empath.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 08:06 PM CDT
I.e. this is likely a myth.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 08:35 PM CDT
>>DR-Grejuva: How often do you use Regenerate in combat? When you want a defensive cyclic and have AD, do you still pick Regenerate?

Zamara is, once again, right on the money about Regenerate vs. Aesandry Darlaeth.

If I am getting wounded in PvE, I am hunting at level, in which case I prefer to use Guardian Spirit, both for the increase in kills and for the targeted magic experience. If things get really bad, I either switch to Regenerate or leave combat for a bit.

If, for some reason, I did not use Guardian Spirit, I would still use Regenerate unless I am back-training and not taking hits anyway.

A couple of people proposed some improvements to Guardian Spirit that I wanted to support.

>>Gamergirl151: I regularly hunt with friends and it would be nice if there was a CAST CREATURE like option that ignored GSes in general. Like a CAST EVIL or something (sorry-not-sorry Necros.) Or maybe if CAST CREATURE ignored a GS unless the owner or pet had already engaged the caster or vice versa.

>>Lambl: Guardian Spirits could stand to be smarter about when they use their special attack. They shouldn't use it if the target is prone, immobile, or otherwise incapacitated already. It slowed me down big time in Duskruin to have my warrior stunning things that were already prone and immobilized instead of just whacking them.

>>Gamergirl151: Awaken was a lot more useful when people seemed to get stunned or slept for longer, but that's a model we've somewhat moved away from.

I only ever use Awaken preemptively, and I think it would be better in that application if it were not limited to the battle spell duration of 2-10 minutes. (Excluding symbioses, that's not even an entire research project, so you you'd have to cast it between segments.)

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Empath new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_new_player_guide

Empath hunting ladder: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_hunting_ladde
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 08:36 PM CDT

Awaken seems super niche. Though to be fair, my empath is best able to train sorcery of all my characters, which is a kind of silly twist on the matter.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/07/2016 08:39 PM CDT

But seriously, ID love if empaths got some additional thing to do in combat. Be it more nonviolent tactics maneuvers, or an SLS like debil tool, or additional whatever.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/10/2016 12:13 PM CDT
Ok I'm jumping into this discussion with the perspective of a Plat Empath

TOP 5:
Regen - just great all purpose healing
AD - I love the positive balance buff, really helps getting over the hump when moving to a new creature.
Nissa's - AoE debil, great trainer, just no real complaint about this spell.
GS - I use this primarily to keep TM moving when I'm training defense/debil/skinning against live creatures.
Absol - Expands the areas I can hunt. Now I don't think it expands the hunting ranges enough, but it's invaluable.

BOTTOM 5:
CoS - have zero use for this spell in the Plat environment.
Compel - very niche, only have it because it's one less spell slot than awaken.
Awaken - don't get stunned/slept anywhere near enough to justify using it.
Heart Link - never have a use for it.
Paralysis - This is just nit picky because it's good at what it does, I just don't like how weak of a teacher it is. I have Stampede from the ranger book as my primary TM teacher, but if Para taught as well, I would drop Stamp in a hearbeat.

A shadowy black death spirit says, "Give us the annoying one, and the rest of you shall live."
* Mudge was just struck down!
The cackling continues. "The Darkness is pleased with your sacrifice."
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/10/2016 01:08 PM CDT
>>>> Paralysis - This is just nit picky because it's good at what it does, I just don't like how weak of a teacher it is. I have Stampede from the ranger book as my primary TM teacher, but if Para taught as well, I would drop Stamp in a heartbeat.

How does paralysis teach compare to strange arrow? Stampede is a multi-strike spell so it will inherently train better than a single strike spell.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/10/2016 05:21 PM CDT

I think paralysis teaches just like any other TM?

But that said, I don't use Absolution, and I think Stampede would be a superior TM trainer as it's multihit.

Personally, I think Empaths are in the somewhat of a bummer position that relatively few guilds are in with their cyclics, namely, they actually have to choose which to use. AD is a useful defensive buff, but it means foregoing the offensive capacity of GS. Not many other guilds have actual choices to make with what cyclic they run - Bards, and maybe Warmies now because of EE, are really the only ones.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/10/2016 05:57 PM CDT
>>Personally, I think Empaths are in the somewhat of a bummer position that relatively few guilds are in with their cyclics, namely, they actually have to choose which to use. AD is a useful defensive buff, but it means foregoing the offensive capacity of GS. Not many other guilds have actual choices to make with what cyclic they run - Bards, and maybe Warmies now because of EE, are really the only ones.

That's actually what we'd like to see for everyone. I know of (and have) plans for additional combat cyclics for several guilds.

I'm a fan of the Empath layout in that regard: AD (when it's not eclipsed by Regen) is purely defensive, GS is offensive-defensive (assuming you use the taunt), and IZ will be purely offensive.

GM Grejuva
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/10/2016 08:59 PM CDT

>That's actually what we'd like to see for everyone. I know of (and have) plans for additional combat cyclics for several guilds.

Oh, in that case, great, I'd also like to see that, presuming there are actual legitimate choices that need to be made. I'm not sure what's in the planning, but that this choice doesn't exist for most guilds kind of bugs me, since in many cases it's simply 'get the cyclic that's awesome, leave it on in combat all the time'.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/11/2016 06:21 AM CDT
1: FOC - I have never gotten regenerate because I love this spell.

2: Vigor - I like to hunt a lot and this is wonderful for that. With the fact that it will be able to be cast on other players this makes it far and away my favorite combat buff

3: Blood Staunching - Number 1 spell to have up before healing. It became even more useful when I learned unity.

4: GS - Having gotten it to the point where I am hunting on level with my TM skill, GS is a beast. It can usually kill as fast as I can.

5: MEF - I love having the mental buffs for learning

Bottom 5:

I just don't use these as the way I play.

Paralysis

Lethargy

Compel

Awaken - The length for me is really short at max cast so it's just in my warding routine while I'm sitting.

I doubt I'll get any of the remaining spells that I don't have as my current set suits every need I have. I got awaken just because I wanted another warding spell for my IC routine.

I really like our spell tree and how useful nearly all of the spells are.

Syllanthis
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/11/2016 07:16 PM CDT
I just went and tried out the new banshee creatures, and something struck me about Tranquility that might stand some improvement. I'm not sure I like that our discipline buff can be removed by ablating the barrier aspect of Tranquility away. Is there any chance the spell could stick around for its full duration even once the barrier has been completely worn away? Obviously the barrier would be useless at that point, but at least you could keep the buff.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/13/2016 09:57 PM CDT
Not necessarily on-thread, but could we Pwetty Pwease get an Outdoorsmanship booster?

GENT
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/13/2016 10:04 PM CDT
> Not necessarily on-thread, but could we Pwetty Pwease get an Outdoorsmanship booster?

SPROUT!
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/14/2016 12:36 AM CDT

Just pick up Wolf Scent.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/18/2016 08:53 AM CDT
First and foremost, I have an idea/suggestion for HEAL. Would it be possible to turn it into something like Dragon's Breath, in that it has "charges" that can be activated with a VERB. Like I cast it, then GESTURE MY RIGHT ARM and it heals wounds/scars on that body part? Repeatable up to half a dozen times? I don't really mind HEAL as it is incarnated, but yes, it is superceded by FOC eventually.

What I don't use/have/like:
CoS Attunement +/- changes never seemed that big to me, which might change, but more importantly needed more Empaths. Can't use it on a day-to-day basis of being a solo healer. Would be nice if it did boost Attunement skill of linked Empaths on top of attunement changes. Empaths are rather scanty on skill buffs, especially in Primary/secondary skillsets.
Adaptive Curing Don't see disease/poison often enough I can't just pop off a FP/CD as necessary.
HL Unnecessary IMO, Keep your own vit up and keep passing it out with vitality links.

I like everything else.

And Sprout back for an Outdoorsmanship buff!

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/18/2016 10:10 AM CDT
> I have an idea/suggestion for HEAL. Would it be possible to turn it into something like Dragon's Breath, in that it has "charges" that can be activated with a VERB.

I like that. I feel like it needs something special since it's very easy to snap cast HW / HS. That's fine. Heal is a convenience spell, but it could use a little something extra. Either a gesture or maybe a dormant spell that you cast before receiving damage for immediate healing on a specific body part. The same goes for FP/CD. They're niche, but that's fine.

> CoS Attunement +/- changes never seemed that big to me,

I've found great use out of the tree at lower levels. Attunement takes forever to return, and it's a nice gift to starting empaths already having a hard time. Upper levels, not so much. That's fine though. It's a give and take type of mentality which I think fits the empath lore well.

> Empaths are rather scanty on skill buffs, especially in Primary/secondary skillsets.

I think this ties back to empaths needing a combat identity. Support, summoners, body modifiers (eg: growing usable wings), whatever, but it can help guide the buffs they provide or use, including duration or types.

> And Sprout back for an Outdoorsmanship buff!

100% yes!

While we're at it, can we make "link" auto-accept? Maybe remove any penalties for the target, but I think this skill gets little to no use simply because of that. Even if this was an empathy feat after a certain amount skills, or if it slightly reduced effectiveness. It's already limited without requiring the second party to do something, without hints, on top of that.