Heal Updates? 06/09/2015 11:46 AM CDT
I suspect it ended up buried under a pile of other stuff, but I wanted to ask about the updates to Heal (and Devour, I think) that were discussed a while back. Is that still something that's in the works? Sorry for being vague about what it involved...I don't actually remember if it was an open discussion or just a candid comment in Test back when the other healing stuff was being tested.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Heal Updates? 06/09/2015 11:48 AM CDT
What were the proposed updates? Removing the limitation of 4 locations?
Re: Heal Updates? 06/09/2015 11:58 AM CDT
<<What were the proposed updates?>>

That's the bit about which I was being intentionally vague :P

Really it's just because I don't remember if it was something that's okay to talk about. I seem to recall that it just came up in casual conversation with Melete in Test during the major healing system testing. She's since alluded to it in the Necromancer folders, but not with any specifics I don't think.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Heal Updates? 06/09/2015 12:08 PM CDT
>>What were the proposed updates? Removing the limitation of 4 locations?

This really should be a thing, with greater skill of course. Sure I can use FOC or Regen (never use regen anymore) but i feel kinda silly with my big magics only being able to heal 4 locations at a time.
Re: Heal Updates? 06/09/2015 07:11 PM CDT
These are still a thing I want to do, but I have almost no time to work on things right now, so I tend to concentrate on bug fixes or finishing stuff that's already started.

Hoping to move closer to my Real Job (tm) over the summer which will theoretically make my free time situation a little less hilarious. Right now I spend upwards of two hours a day in my car instead of murdering ya'll or coding new ways to murder ya'll. This shall not stand!

>>What were the proposed updates? Removing the limitation of 4 locations?

I have approval to make heal and devour into pre-castable heal over time spells. I think there may even be code written, somewhere. But I can't even begin to speculate as to a time frame.

Melete
Nature, it seems, is the popular name
for milliards and milliards and milliards
of particles playing their infinite game
of billiards and billiards and billiards.
Re: Heal Updates? 06/09/2015 09:31 PM CDT

zomagerd, I <3 HoTs
Re: Heal Updates? 06/10/2015 11:11 AM CDT
Sounds good, thanks. I hope the moving thing works out for ya...long commutes are the pits.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Heal Updates? 06/10/2015 11:24 AM CDT
What would the difference between a HoT like Regen and this proposed Heal? If there's not a significant advantage I'd rather just have Heal scale with skill rather than be a HoT honestly.
Re: Heal Updates? 06/10/2015 11:44 AM CDT
<<What would the difference between a HoT like Regen and this proposed Heal?>>

I could easily be mistaken, but I'm picturing it being more like a delayed healing rather than actually producing small healing pulses over a span of time. So more akin to something like Dragon's Breath, where you store one (or more?) activation(s) on yourself for later, instantaneous use. Or maybe it would even auto-fire under some conditions, such as receiving an injury above a certain threshold of severity. Heal was always supposed to be the "smart healing" spell, so that seems like it would fit.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Heal Updates? 06/10/2015 11:47 AM CDT
>>I could easily be mistaken, but I'm picturing it being more like a delayed healing rather than actually producing small healing pulses over a span of time. So more akin to something like Dragon's Breath, where you store one (or more?) activation(s) on yourself for later, instantaneous use. Or maybe it would even auto-fire under some conditions, such as receiving an injury above a certain threshold of severity. Heal was always supposed to be the "smart healing" spell, so that seems like it would fit.

Oh that might be cool.
Re: Heal Updates? 06/10/2015 12:07 PM CDT

> I could easily be mistaken, but I'm picturing it being more like a delayed healing rather than actually producing small healing pulses over a span of time.

I like the idea of a latent healing spell. You can invoke it or have it trigger automatically on stun/incapacitation.
Re: Heal Updates? 06/10/2015 01:10 PM CDT

So, point of clarification then -

In gaming, 'heal over time' or 'HoT' is usually x healing over y seconds. I.e., 10 pts of healing over 5s, means every 1s the spell heals for 2 pts.

'Heal after time' or 'HaT' is usually x healing after y seconds. I.e., 10 pts of healing after 5s, means after 5s the spell heals for 10 pts.

You can of course replace 'heal' with 'damage'.

I'm not sure what is in plan for Heal, but both a HoT or HaT paradigm would be neat and potentially useful. I think a HoT would be more useful, since it's pretty rare that I would want to delay when the healing happens, and pretty common that I'd want to dump say, 50 mana into a large spell and let it pulse gradually, especially if I'm in the process of healing people. Mind you, Regen is effectively a HoT, unless you want to claim that each pulse is effectively casting the spell again.

The biggest QoL improvement I'd like to see to Heal is for extra mana to apply to healing additional locations.
Re: Heal Updates? 06/10/2015 02:50 PM CDT
The way I'm envisioning it is kind of how FP and CD work with adaptive curing.

If you're hurt when you cast it, it triggers right then, uses up however much juice it needs to heal you, and either runs out or goes quiescent until you get hurt again.

It would still try to prioritize wounds but the mechanical guts will be totally different. The only thing staying the same really will be the name(s).

Melete
Nature, it seems, is the popular name
for milliards and milliards and milliards
of particles playing their infinite game
of billiards and billiards and billiards.
Re: Heal Updates? 06/10/2015 07:18 PM CDT

Is your vision that it acts as a wound shield then, negating wounds as they form, or that it pulses once it's been cast, expending x pts of healing each pulse similar to how Regen works now?