Rank Requirement to Study Absolution Scroll 04/01/2015 07:29 PM CDT
Does anyone know the arcana requirement for learning Absolution from the spell scroll that is sold in Shard?

I know that it takes 80 ranks of utility to cast the spell. One estimate I heard is that it takes 200 ranks of arcana to learn the spell from the scroll.

I'm working on the Empath spell slot progressions on Elanthipedia's Empath new player guide. I want to put Absolution as early in the combat progressions as possible without recommending it before people are likely to be able to learn and use the spell.

Thanks!

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Rank Requirement to Study Absolution Scroll 04/02/2015 05:20 AM CDT
My empath learned Absolution from the sheepskin scroll with no problems at 100 ranks of arcana. I didn't attempt it any earlier, but you definitely don't need 200!
Re: Rank Requirement to Study Absolution Scroll 04/02/2015 07:34 AM CDT
Without going in and running the numbers, I'll just say my own Empath PC was able to permanently memorize Absolution way, way (dozens of ranks) before having the Arcana to succeed at the ritual component of the spell.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Calvino Italo
Re: Rank Requirement to Study Absolution Scroll 04/02/2015 06:26 PM CDT
>>DR-Armifer: Without going in and running the numbers, I'll just say my own Empath PC was able to permanently memorize Absolution way, way (dozens of ranks) before having the Arcana to succeed at the ritual component of the spell.

Thanks! Do you know what the arcana requirement is to cast ritual spells (using a ritual focus)?

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Rank Requirement to Study Absolution Scroll 04/02/2015 06:47 PM CDT
>>Thanks! Do you know what the arcana requirement is to cast ritual spells (using a ritual focus)?

Hard to answer without giving too much of the math away, but it's pegged to the skill difficulty of a min prep cast, with a healthy random. In a perfect world, take the DISCERN hard estimate ("You think you will be ranked a raging godling to begin to cast this spell...") and apply that to Arcana. In a perfect world that will give you a 50% chance at the ritual succeeding. "In a perfect world" because there's a lot of modifiers and randoms involved that's going to muddle it a bit, but it should be in the ballpark relative to the numbers involved (harder spells will have a larger fuzzy range).

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Calvino Italo