Water 12/01/2012 07:36 PM CST
Has something changed with the mechanics for getting water from a natural source?

I can't manage to fill my vial with water from the Willow Walk fountain, like I have done myriad times in the past. Haven't tried other locations yet but I wanted to see if anyone knew what was up.

~ Player of Farman et al.
Re: Water 12/01/2012 08:21 PM CST
Look in the fountain and see if there's water in there? Or maybe your container is full, closed, etc.? What's the message?

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Water 12/01/2012 09:55 PM CST
Nope, I checked all the "make sure the lamp is plugged in before you turn it on"-level mistakes before posting ;)

Nothing is different from the literally hundreds of times I've done this in the past (admittedly however, several years ago) except fill vial with water doesn't get any water.

I did manage to fill it from the disgusting trough in TGNE where everyone throws their garbage, and noticed there was an immovable water item in there... no such item in the fountain pool, but this was never required in the past. I guess something was changed. And I hope it gets fixed so traditional spots get water again.

Re: Water 12/01/2012 10:11 PM CST
>there was an immovable water item in there... no such item in the fountain pool

This is why I said to look in it. Unless you see 'some water' inside an item, it's not a water source. Creeks, fountains, and most other things have never been configured to work as water sources. Welcome to DR's nightmarish substances systems.

Re: Water 12/01/2012 11:00 PM CST
One time, I accidentally put the "source" water into a gem pouch at one of those valid locations and a GM had to fix it.

It's possible to break them by somehow destroying the original water or something.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.
Re: Water 12/02/2012 09:33 AM CST
Well thanks for all the help guys, I was away from the game for about three-four years so apparently the ur-water object was introduced at some point over that span. Once the 3.0 rollout settles down, I hope they put water back into all the traditional spots where people got water under substance 2.0... the fountain was in fact one of them, which is of course why I was trying there in the first place, and very heavily used. I presume everything will change again when they roll out the new alchemy, or perhaps the ur-water is an early taste of that. But RP-wise it's pretty gross to get your water for potions from a narrow tiny trough in the middle of a crowded city, into which trough people constantly dump trash.

Re: Water 12/02/2012 11:57 AM CST
I think the substances system is only slightly less frightening than the beard/ship system, and Kodius is (I hope) going to take some kind of break after 3.0 goes live, or he'll explode.

So I'd plan on sometime in 2013, but probably 2nd-3rd quarter at earliest.

Until then, you can buy water from the alchemist, it's less than 10 copper I think. Or just steal it, it's one of the '0 ranks' stealable items, so you should be able to snag 3-5 without issue at no ranks.

Re: Water 12/02/2012 01:37 PM CST
>Until then, you can buy water from the alchemist, it's less than 10 copper I think. Or just steal it, it's one of the '0 ranks' stealable items, so you should be able to snag 3-5 without issue at no ranks.

This is what I do when I need water, I figure for 10 copper I'm buying what today would be de-ionized water or at least desalinated (i.e. the good stuff, for alchemy that is).

Re: Water 12/03/2012 06:16 AM CST
I dropped by Willow Walk and put some water in the pool.

>>You tap some water inside a pool.

Let me know if that works.

Melete
Seyalle: It does involve the beard integer.
Melete: THE BEARD INTEGER??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw
<to be continued...>
Re: Water 12/03/2012 08:56 AM CST
Do I want to ask HOW you did? Or was it a long night at the bar again?

Re: Water 12/03/2012 09:07 AM CST
>>Do I want to ask HOW you did? Or was it a long night at the bar again?

ahahah

Obligatory: http://xkcd.com/323/

Melete
Here as he walked by
On the 3rd month of Lirisa the Archer
In the year of the Iron Toad
A nameless Dwarf
In a flash of genius discovered
The fundamental formula for
THE BEARD INTEGER
& cut it on a stone of this bridge
Re: Water 12/03/2012 12:47 PM CST
That comic is on our beer fridge at work.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Water 12/06/2012 03:50 PM CST
>I dropped by Willow Walk and put some water in the pool.

>>>You tap some water inside a pool.

>Let me know if that works.

It does!!! Thanks Melete!

Could you also put water in the pool location itself?