Herb potency. 08/29/2007 05:04 PM CDT
I have an apron full of herbs from several years back. With all the changes from that time til now, are they worth keeping? Or, should I dump them and start fresh?
Re: Herb potency. 08/29/2007 06:05 PM CDT
If in doubt, offer one to the nearest alchemist student. If it's faulty, he'll give you a new herb.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Herb potency. 08/29/2007 06:06 PM CDT
Thanks Ryeka. I will try that.
Re: Herb potency. 08/29/2007 06:08 PM CDT
Sure thing!

For that matter, I think I have a char or two that needs to check herbs...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Herb potency. 08/29/2007 06:22 PM CDT
The alchemy student will replace an herb that is game-mechanically broken as a result of the changes that were made to the substance system a few years ago. This has nothing to do with potency however.

Assuming those old herbs aren't broken, the only way to tell how powerful they are is to take a nibble when you have appropriate wounds. Maybe you've got good ones and maybe you've got duds.

If you want the best and strongest herbs, find an Empath or a Ranger with very high ranks in Foraging and Perception, and have them forage your herbs precisely. Then either get them dried and turned into potions as appropriate, or keep them fresh and cast Sprout on them before use.

Right now the absolute highest possible potency is achieved by casting Sprout, but the boost is temporary.

~ Player of Farman et al.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Re: Herb potency. 08/29/2007 08:17 PM CDT
>>find an Empath or a Ranger

Are Thief precisely foraged herbs inferior to Empath and Ranger ones, assuming all other things equal?

I know Empaths and Rangers get a bonus to foraging skill -- what I guess I'm getting at is if, assuming a Thief had foraging skill such that the Thief's unbonused skill was exactly equal to the bonused Ranger or Empath's skill... would there be a difference?

Honest question.

HR>eat trench
The Empath Guild Leader has determined that consuming a deep trench may be hazardous to your health.
Re: Herb potency. 08/29/2007 10:26 PM CDT
<<Right now the absolute highest possible potency is achieved by casting Sprout, but the boost is temporary.>>

Can you just recast it every time you want to eat the herb?

Does anyone know what kind of ranks it takes to get better than storebought quality herbs?
Re: Herb potency. 08/29/2007 10:33 PM CDT
>Are Thief precisely foraged herbs inferior to Empath and Ranger ones, assuming all other things equal?

Heh, I forgot about thieves, I usually think of them foraging in pockets and not in the dirt. Thieves don't have any foraging cookies as far as I know, but yes a precise foraged herb from a thief with big skills will be excellent.

Re: Herb potency. 08/29/2007 10:46 PM CDT
>Can you just recast it every time you want to eat the herb?

Sprout was supposedly being worked on in response to the many concerns and opinions that were expressed when it was released, but it's been a while since then. As of now, the duration caps at 25 minutes if I remember right, and the only way to tell if an herb has been Sprouted already is to cast the spell on it. Once it wears off you can cast it on the same herb again.

Re: Herb potency. 08/30/2007 12:38 AM CDT
>Sprout was supposedly being worked on in response to the many concerns and opinions that were expressed when it was released, but it's been a while since then. As of now, the duration caps at 25 minutes if I remember right, and the only way to tell if an herb has been Sprouted already is to cast the spell on it. Once it wears off you can cast it on the same herb again.

How did you test the duration of an herb-cast? Or maybe my MD skill can't see enough.

Would a Sprout, precisely-foraged herb + Sprout on the herb increase its healing potency doubly so?

-Desperado Clemency Apollonia, Journeyman Empath of Elanthia

>prod raccoon
It might be a bit safer if a young raccoon was dead first.

SEND[Reexa] :::whine::: go awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Re: Herb potency. 08/30/2007 08:28 AM CDT
>How did you test the duration of an herb-cast? Or maybe my MD skill can't see enough.

I wrote a simple little script that casts Sprout on an herb every minute, checks the messaging, and increments the counter with each cast. The only messaging I see on the herbs when you focus on it is the 'not magical' message, with nearly 300 MD.

>Would a Sprout, precisely-foraged herb + Sprout on the herb increase its healing potency doubly so?

Not double, but it certainly does increase the potency.

My problems with Sprout are not being able to sense the spell in effect on an herb, and the fact that you can't cast it on herbs that have been alchemically enhanced. For an Empath, that means there's no reason to practice alchemy anymore.

Re: Herb potency. 08/30/2007 09:39 AM CDT
>I wrote a simple little script that casts Sprout on an herb every minute, checks the messaging, and increments the counter with each cast.

Oh, duh...wow.

>My problems with Sprout are not being able to sense the spell in effect on an herb, and the fact that you can't cast it on herbs that have been alchemically enhanced. For an Empath, that means there's no reason to practice alchemy anymore.

Yeah :(

-Desperado Clemency Apollonia, Journeyman Empath of Elanthia

>prod raccoon
It might be a bit safer if a young raccoon was dead first.

SEND[Reexa] :::whine::: go awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Re: Herb potency. 11/27/2007 10:48 AM CST
> For an Empath, that means there's no reason to practice alchemy anymore. [Farman]

WAIT! We had a reason to train foraging?!

Renegade Empath Raudhan just arrived - with less than 100 ranks in foraging.

A cutthroat gasps, "I can't get UP!"

A shadoweaver breathlessly whispers, "Raudhan, come dance with me!
Re: Herb potency. 11/27/2007 02:51 PM CST
>WAIT! We had a reason to train foraging?!

Only for the 30 ranks worth of hard req. After that it depends on you. You must be a masochist if you're an Empath anyway so train away!

Asbhuan in Plat

P.S. It's in my top 4, sad isn't it?
Re: Herb potency. 11/27/2007 09:24 PM CST
>WAIT! We had a reason to train foraging?!

lol... I hear you ;)

I've been training it semi-regularly because

1) It's relatively easy to train, and thus a prime candidate for use as one of the top-six survivals Empaths need.
2) I like being able to produce high quality herbs, and 3) I want to forage scar herbs (getting close).

Re: Herb potency. 11/28/2007 08:25 AM CST
I always trained it because you get a 2 for 1 punch with it training perception as well.

Got Body Parts?
Re: Herb potency. 01/24/2008 11:05 AM CST
<<My problems with Sprout are not being able to sense the spell in effect on an herb, and the fact that you can't cast it on herbs that have been alchemically enhanced.

I have a question about store-bought herbs: does Sprout affect their potency, or just the potency of PC-foraged, un-altered herbs? Also, since hisan salve is a salve and not a fresh herb, does that mean it can't be improved using Sprout, even if it's bought from a store? Thanks!
Re: Herb potency. 01/24/2008 11:55 AM CST
>>I have a question about store-bought herbs: does Sprout affect their potency, or just the potency of PC-foraged, un-altered herbs? Also, since hisan salve is a salve and not a fresh herb, does that mean it can't be improved using Sprout, even if it's bought from a store? Thanks!

Sprout can only be used on herbs found naturally in the wild. It doesn't work on the store bought stuff, nor will it enhance anything that's been altered (such as dried). Remember, also, that the boost in potency is only temporary.

- Ogoh

System Announcement: In order to simplify our mythology for newer players, all gods have been renamed after the Little Rascals. Henceforth, Urrem'tier will be known as "Spanky."
Re: Herb potency. 01/24/2008 12:13 PM CST
Sprout works on hisan salve. Not sure about other store boughts.

It does not currently work on herbs altered with alchemy but the spell is supposed to be updated at some point to incorporate a few changes, hopefully including that.

Player of Farman et al.

Re: Herb potency. 01/24/2008 12:16 PM CST
Hopefully the update will also include a permanent boost, even if it is a small fraction of the maximum boost and takes an obscene amount of skill.
Re: Herb potency. 01/24/2008 10:32 PM CST
>Hopefully the update will also include a permanent boost, even if it is a small fraction of the maximum boost and takes an obscene amount of skill.

I don't think that's needed in the spell. In my view, that's the role of alchemical processing--make the herb permanently better. But what I'd like to see is doing alchemy on a sprouted herb "locking in" the increased potency. Also being able to focus on an herb to tell if the spell is in effect.

Sprout has a really huge effect at present, which is great. It makes herbs a lot stronger, and if the original herb was obtained by a very skilled forager, the herb can become extraordinarily potent.

The problem as I see it with the current spell is that you have to choose between alchemy and sprout since you can't do both on the same herb. Sprouted herbs totally kick alchemized herbs' butt so IMO this means that for an Empath, there's a drastically reduced impetus to do alchemy on your herbs.

Re: Herb potency. 01/24/2008 10:33 PM CST
>I don't think that's needed in the spell.

And I respectfully disagree.