Basic Herbal questions... 10/12/2005 08:02 PM CDT
Hey Empaths, I've got a few herbal questions, and I figured this was the best place to ask.

How long does it take for a single dose of an herb to wear off? For example, say I have a bleeder on my arm and I eat a jadice flower. When the jadice wears off, I still won't be fully healed. How long do I need to wait to eat another dose? Does this depend upon how many injuries I have? Is there a way to tell, short of eating again and feeling nauseous?

Assuming there is a corresponding internal injury, should I go ahead and eat yelith root at the same time?

What about scars? Should I go ahead and eat some jadice pollen and nuloe stem? Do I need to wait one pulse first? Would I maximize herb efficiency to wait for the wound to be healed before eating the scar remedy?

My goal is to maximize hunting time. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to herbs, but I've been fooling around and I even made a few potions. I have checked out Kythryn and Olwydd's websites, but they didn't have this stuff. Thanks in advance.
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/12/2005 08:10 PM CDT
I believe length and strength of dose depends on the herb and its potency. As soon as it stops healing you (try testing to see how many pulses you usually get), you can go ahead and eat more. You don't have to wait after that to take another dose.

You can stack herbs as long as they don't heal the same thing. For example, you can use cebi and hisan together (external and internal scars) but you can't use cebi and genich stem because they both heal external scars (cebi all over, genish on your torso).

If you have fresh wounds, go ahead and use what heals them, wait for a pulse, then use scar herbs. This tends to work pretty well for me.

Rev. Reene, player of a few
"Goodness had nothing to do with it, dearie." - Mae West
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/12/2005 08:18 PM CDT
Wow, thanks for the speedy response! I should have realized the length question. For reference, about how long do storebought herbs last? If no one knows I'll do some testing and post what I find.

Also, about the herb stacking... Say I eat some cebi to heal one thing, and then I get a torso scar...can I not eat genich at this point? I was sort of planning to do this...

Thanks again.
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/12/2005 08:27 PM CDT
The cebi will start working on the torso scar even if you get it after you eat the cebi. Provided it's still working at all, of course.

Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/12/2005 10:20 PM CDT
I typically eat all my injury herbs first, then the scars, by the time the scar herbs take effect, the injury herbs have pulsed long ago... that keeps you from wasting the scar ones or waiting for the injury to wear off

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/12/2005 10:23 PM CDT
>>You can stack herbs as long as they don't heal the same thing. For example, you can use cebi and hisan together (external and internal scars) but you can't use cebi and genich stem because they both heal external scars (cebi all over, genish on your torso).

Generally this means you can eat each type of herb without worry, though the sole exception to this is blocil berries. Depending on where you forage them (note that this might have changed), it will heal either internal neck wounds (riolur leaf) or internal back wounds (junliar stem).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/12/2005 11:11 PM CDT
<<You can stack herbs as long as they don't heal the same thing. For example, you can use cebi and hisan together (external and internal scars) but you can't use cebi and genich stem because they both heal external scars (cebi all over, genish on your torso).>>

When last I checked, which was admittedly a long time ago, you COULD use cebi/hisan and any of the other internal and external scar herbs at the same time. I used to do this when my magics were relatively low, and that using ESH/ISH all over drained most of my mana pool. It made the scars disappear pretty quickly.

I don't carry the other scar herbs anymore -- they're rather expensive, and ESH/ISH are pretty cheap now, mana-wise, so I can't check this myself. Anyone with the herbs on them or an easy way of procuring them (coughthiefcough) care to verify this?

~Laril
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/12/2005 11:44 PM CDT
Cebi and Genich stack fine.

Yamcer(said): "do a little studying you'll find far more eye gouging and crotch kicking than you realize."
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/12/2005 11:53 PM CDT
Hot damn.

Well, my testing was before the big substances change, so I guess that makes sense.

Neat. Time to go buy me some scar herbs.

Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/13/2005 01:20 AM CDT
On top of stacking cebi/genich; you can also take cebi in powder or pulp form and rub it directly on a given wound.

So if you had a killer abdomen scar and you had really crappy herb potencies you could just...eat cebi, eat genich, rub cebi on my abdomen. To get triple action.

Though a precisely foraged cebi tincture will heal a missing body part in 3 pulses...so i hear.

Also, let me know how your testing goes, because I'm not entirely sure herbs work the same as they used to. I think their duration isn't the same number of pulses everytime, and is actually related to the number of wounds and degree of damage.

---
-Clemency
---
"Put your head up to my heart, hear me live and follow suit, this will all be over soon, it's gonna hurt a little." -Emberghost
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/13/2005 07:46 AM CDT
I thought that scar herbs won't heal a wound once it's beyond a certain step. It's been a while, though.

~Brady, player of I'm a Lover Not a Fighter Elavin Rismel.

You tap a pair of leather pants with a grey and a navy blue handkerchief stuffed in the right pocket that you are wearing.
~~~
Join The Fallen!
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/13/2005 09:25 PM CDT
that scenerio where scar herbs stack has been true as long as I've ever played. The only thing I despise is the Blocil berries/junliar stem duo... why have two that does the same thing?

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/14/2005 02:20 AM CDT
Store-bought blocil, i think, acts differently than foraged blocil.

Store-bought works on internal head, whereas junliar stem always works internal back.

---
-Clemency
---
"Put your head up to my heart, hear me live and follow suit, this will all be over soon, it's gonna hurt a little." -Emberghost
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/15/2005 01:44 PM CDT
Most, if not all, of the healing herbs were actually named for player characters. I recall meeting Blocil in person many years ago, that was a real hoot. I wish she were still around, maybe she could contribute something here ;)
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/24/2005 03:40 PM CDT
Well I don't know all the technical terms for it but I walk around with a sack of fresh wound herbs and potions and a pouch of scar herbs and potions, when I am in need of a quick heal without mana I simply eat one of everything, regardless. So if that's what you mean by stacking, as in, I could eat a genich stem and a hisan salve and a cebi root to basically wipe out a relevant scar, then yes, it's entirely doable. It's how I basically get by with crappy mana. Don't know if that helps at all. If I've got a full set of bodily wounds, internal and externals as bad as serious scars, missing hunks of flesh, holes or bleeders, then take together one of everything regardless of duplicating, heals all. Takes about 5 mins, but it does the job.

Regards

Kintalia Runemore, wife to Tensia, mother to Estaban and Acting Speaker for the Order of the Black Fox.

~It is only knowledge and wisdom which seperates Us. Seek the knowledge to learn from experience; Hope to have the wisdom to understand - You are the sum of Your experiences~
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/25/2005 01:14 PM CDT
Yeah it bet its really handy in a quest, especially when you refuse to heal anyone.

~Villya

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
--Albert Einstein
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/25/2005 01:20 PM CDT
I've never wanted infection herbs as badly as in those 6 hours.

--
Ranger Hanryu _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _, Sword of House Calibanor
You thumb a platinum coin stamped with large letters that read "IN SSRA WE TRUST"
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/25/2005 01:23 PM CDT
Yeah it must be totally cool when someone pulls a temper tantrum like that after they promised to help a group out. Herbs I bet help heal none of the wounds you would have taken if you had partaken in the group challange.

~Villya

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
-H. L. Mencken
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/25/2005 03:21 PM CDT
well Villya,

Since you weren't present and so therefore have no real idea of what did or did not happen I'd suggest redirecting your comments to conflicts, since this isn't the place for them.

I happen to heal plenty of people when they treat me with the same common mutual respect. Being screamed at to heal faster when there's no mana and only one empath barely able to heal infections doesn't make the empath heal any faster.

Hanyru got plenty of healing from me during the debacle that was the quest. Infact, all of the people on the quest got healing from me even AFTER I was told by my husband to let them all die. Aside from which, I was satisfactorily murdered by those who felt I didn't heal enough or fast enough. So, as I said before. If you have further comment to make, I suggest you take it to the conflicts folder where due verbal slapping can take place.

Regards

Kintalia Runemore.

~It is only knowledge and wisdom which seperates Us. Seek the knowledge to learn from experience; Hope to have the wisdom to understand - You are the sum of Your experiences~
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/25/2005 04:01 PM CDT
>>If you have further comment to make, I suggest you take it to the conflicts folder where due verbal slapping can take place.

Nope, I just can't be good like that, I am the Firestarter.

>>Since you weren't present and so therefore have no real idea of what did or did not happen I'd suggest redirecting your comments to conflicts, since this isn't the place for them.

No, you are right, I don't, but I guess I should just leave all the comments for Rant and Nikki to say then, oh and of course the Cleric that was there too. I'm sure they have more colorful comments then I do.

>>Aside from which, I was satisfactorily murdered by those who felt I didn't heal enough or fast enough.<<

You were murdered for having you're nose stuck up in the air, you should go back and recheck with Nikki and the gang why you were murdered.

~Villya

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
-H. L. Mencken
Re: Basic Herbal questions... 10/25/2005 04:12 PM CDT
Repli did NOT get healing, you let him die at your feet. And most of us had no tongues, so that made things a bit difficult at the end.

Daxlynn says "Children are like bleeders. Always there, and always needing tending."