Need help with Foraging 07/24/2005 09:45 PM CDT
My wife has just returned to the realms after a long sleep. As she is starting to train her skills again a question came up with foraging.

Other than roundtime, what is the difference between forage careful, and forage precise?

Which one will lock foraging faster?

Thanks
Wabo
Re: Need help with Foraging 07/24/2005 10:31 PM CDT
Careful foraging is best, IMO, because it does not have a timer associated with it. You can forage <item> careful and it'll lock fairly quickly on an item that is at the top-end of the list of things you can find. I have about 50 ranks of foraging with my empath and trader and can lock foraging even with jadice flowers or georin grass very easily (jadice takes a bit longer, since it's easier to find).

You don't have to switch items when using this method. Just forage for the same item over and over (careful) and you'll lock foraging in no time.

There is a great foraging compendum on http://www.olwydd.org

~Brady, player of I'm a Lover Not a Fighter Elavin Rismel.

"If your house costs 3 plat, and your dog costs 18....you maight bey a redneck..."
Re: Need help with Foraging 07/24/2005 10:37 PM CDT
Use CAREFUL, unless of course you also want the best-quality (for your skill) items at your disposal. Careful gives you middling experience for a middling-quality item, for a middling RT. PRECISE is one step higher in all regards, but because of the RT it takes longer to lock since you will suffer more experience pulses on the way to locking the skill.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Need help with Foraging 07/24/2005 10:55 PM CDT
>Other than roundtime, what is the difference between forage careful, and forage precise?
>Which one will lock foraging faster?

Exactly what Brady said. I try and keep my forage careful at 10-12 seconds more for the additional perception in taking just a bit longer to lock up in forage.

Another thing I do - I find the hardest thing I can forage with my armor on, during night or day with minor wounds. I'm not into this take everything off and lay in the dirt during the full sun and dig, unless I'm after a specific herb.

If you play with it a day or so you'll find just the right item, preferably by a disposal container. <g>

Have fun!

Xochi
Re: Need help with Foraging 07/26/2005 01:48 AM CDT
>I try and keep my forage careful at 10-12 seconds

I always tell folks 11-15 sec. Since the Careful option caps out at 10 seconds (ie. you'll never get less than 10 seconds, no matter how easy the item is), I figure as long as you're getting 11 seconds, you know it's an item that will teach you well. This isn't to say something at 10 seconds won't teach ok, but for instance, you will get 10 seconds with grass, but you might have to find a lot of grass to move your skill, whereas you might get 10 sec. with strawberries and learn much quicker. With 11, you always know you're in your ideal learning 'range'...

"I knew I shouldn't have touched that door in Undershard!"
In the shiny glass of the mirror, you see the oddly distorted image of the Tortured Soul woman, Kythryn Silverspruce.
Re: Need help with Foraging 07/26/2005 09:21 AM CDT
Thanks for all the replies, it has helped a lot.
Wabo