herbs that don't work 01/20/2005 07:41 AM CST
Ok I have to ask this, it is frustrating for me. Why did herbs change from healing bad injuries like gaping holes? Before you could, if you had the herbs and time, real a deader to raiseable with herbs. Now you can't even heal bad death scars with herbs. I don't understand this. What ever happened to playability? Some areas you depart in, you can't climb out of with death scars, You can't heal the death scars with the herbs, and the chances an empath is coming in there is REALLY slim. Either some areas in the game need to be re evaluated so you don't have to get a gate into and out of it if you die, or herbs need to work on broken bones and gapin holes. I am not saying they should work fast, I am not saying it should be a 2 second fix. But it should be fixable.

Just a Cleric
Re: herbs that don't work 01/20/2005 09:28 AM CST
>What ever happened to playability?

The playability is that if empaths and other characters ever become truly 100% independant, then all of Elanthia will completely self destruct and all you'll ever get again when trying to log in is GAME OVER!

I have no idea why this is so, quite honestly, but every single time empaths gain independance, something is put in place to make other characters more dependant on us. We got bloodworms and perc health, you got incurable wounds/death scars and disease from bleeding wounds. I do not want to think of what price you all are going to have to pay for the two new healing reagents, I just don't.

Now I know there has to be a way to balance the towering resentment all other characters have for our ability to heal ourselves or we'll all be walked, however, going from pity for not being able to advance without them to more punitive measures like incurable death scars or death by disease just increases the resentment other characters hold towards empaths. Making it so we're more valuable alive than dead only has limited value in a game like DR, where death comes so cheaply.
Re: herbs that don't work 01/20/2005 10:27 AM CST
Sweety, you just need to get more powerful herbs... some of that isn't possible yet and is still being worked on... some of that exists now.

All herbs "work" but some only heal a tiny bit at a time...there are several layers to the degree of an injury.

For scars, pair hisan and cebi (which work very slowly because they 'pulse' a small degree spread over the whole body -- even if there is only one injury) with the specialty herbs:
-ojhenik potion for internal body scars
-genich stem for external body scars
-jadice pollen for ext. limb scars
-nule stem for int. limb scars
-qun pollen for ext. head and eyes
-huljik elixir for int. head and eyes

Then there is a long list of fresh wound herbs and some are more powerful than others, depending on if they're foraged and used straight, prepared first, or store bought

Tinctures are supposed to be better, but so far Kyth's testing hasn't shown all of them to be better...some are, some aren't.

One thing I'd like to see (if Reexa or Obseden are reading, please let me know ifyou think it possible) is an empath spell based on magic and empathy that would allow an empath to make herbs more powerful and faster acting.

So, it's happening.

I don't think the areas will change, though... some things about the game will (and I think, at least, should) require help from other people... we will almost always depend on a cleric if we don't want to lose skills when we depart. I don't really like that. Erythite items with only a few charges sold for 50 plat at the last fest...and erythite runes are extremely rare...

So everyone has some dependence in some ways. I luv ya much but I don't agree with you here that folks should be completely cut off from needing an empath--and I'm not just saying that 'cause I play an empath, I'm saying 'cause I hope people will be encouraged to collaborate more.

Personally, I'm always willing to go places to help... I really really really wish there were more places to train swimming and climbing...'cause an empath who wants and needs to be around people doesn't want to camp out in some of these out of reach areas just to train a single survival skill, and sooooo slowly, too, in some cases.... something else I hope our GMs will work on. ; )

~Amo

"You hurry a miracle man, you get rotten miracles" ~ Miracle Max

This is no ordinary miracle! http://home.sprintmail.com/~hopebuilt

Empaths, join us: http://www.geocities.com/saerhyn/ESC/Coalition.html
Re: herbs that don't work 01/20/2005 11:53 AM CST
Amorisse

Both of those are on the overall wishlist for 2005, but I don't know at this point where they will fall on the to-do list.

GM Reexa

Re: herbs that don't work 01/21/2005 04:56 PM CST
I was in my normal hunting spot, shadow beast cut off one leg, and then a hand. got me other leg before I could get out but not completely severed.

I can't tend because of the wounds, I can't climb out because of the wounds. If i die still can't climb out because of the scars. Over the period of about 40 minutes to 45 minutes.

I ate:
three jadice flowers <dryed>
4 yelith roots.
2 full and one partial nuloe stem.
2 full and one partial Jadice pollen.

The severed hand and leg never did a thing. the other wounded leg had healed completely. 45 minutes or so later I did manage to get a moongate out of the swamps. I have tried the same process apply herbs to dead folks and still with no results thier either. yep that is a long time to bleed but the commune saved me. This is why i said herbs are broken. Was I doing something wrong? Did I not give them long enough to work <40 minutes>? Should I carry a larger stock of herbs with when I hunt other than 5 or 6 of each..... If i am doing or was doing something wrong I am open for suggestions.

Just A Cleric
Re: herbs that don't work 01/21/2005 07:18 PM CST
It's true that herbs will not heal the most severe injuries (complete loss of limb etc)--that's by design.

However, I have been doing a little testing recently and can confirm that the foraging skill of the person who harvests the herb (and perhaps also the mech lore skill if mixing is involved) has a huge effect on its potency. To a lesser degree, the quality of the ingredients (that is, whether they were foraged normally, carefully, or precisely) also has an effect. And drying helps a lot as well.

My point is, two significant ways to make your herbs more effective are, always dry them first, whether in a pyramid or through a beseech, and yes, train your foraging. Or get friendly with someone who has.
Re: herbs that don't work 01/21/2005 08:07 PM CST
Somehow the idea of an herb regrowing your leg for you doesn't seem right. I'm pretty sure the herbs aren't supposed to do that.

~Malyck
Re: herbs that don't work 01/21/2005 08:57 PM CST
As survival tert i don't have the better options for foraging. Perhaps that is my problem.

As far as the skills mine can use some improvement. approx 150 foraging. and about 240 mech. Them I can work on and see if it helps much.

just a cleric
Re: herbs that don't work 01/22/2005 01:28 AM CST
<<Them I can work on and see if it helps much.>>

You know I'm always happy to join you in combat...and I work much better than herbs ; )

I know, it sucks. I'd rather have a rejuvination herb than bother clerics, too, but on the other hand, I like clerics, so it's nice to have reasons for us to work together...don't you think?

: D

~Amorisse

"You hurry a miracle man, you get rotten miracles" ~ Miracle Max

This is no ordinary miracle! http://home.sprintmail.com/~hopebuilt

Empaths, join us: http://www.geocities.com/saerhyn/ESC/Coalition.html
Re: herbs that don't work 01/22/2005 01:36 AM CST
(start shameless plug)

or of course, you could purchase a pre-made precisely foraged and prepared herb kit!
http://drkyth.freeservers.com/herbkit.htm

(end shameless plug)

Kythryn
Re: herbs that don't work 01/22/2005 04:57 AM CST
< The severed hand and leg never did a thing. the other wounded leg had healed completely. 45 minutes or so later I did manage to get a moongate out of the swamps. >

I've been telling you for weeks now that the only TRUE herb is an Empath! Maybe this will break you of that nasty habit you have.

Amo, I've gone hunting with him and have caught him munching on herbs behind my back!

Mysty the Super Herb!

Dragons love you...

...Dipped in chocolate!
Re: herbs that don't work 01/22/2005 01:12 PM CST
>>I've been telling you for weeks now that the only TRUE herb is an Empath!

Yeah, but you can't smoke an empath without half of Kermoria getting mad at you. And, well, eating the empaths (cannibalism) is just plain disgusting and drinking one is even worse (empath puree, eww!)...

Maybe we could fit them in a pyramid (using my suggestion, at least), but a dehydrated empath isn't very useful either.

Are drunk empaths more potent than sober ones?

Maybe rubbing their shoulders or applying them to a specific body part might work?

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: herbs that don't work 01/22/2005 05:13 PM CST
<<Are drunk empaths more potent than sober ones?

Not to completely change the subject, but has anyone heard from Ilcram lately? I've missed his drunken ramblings.

Mole

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN!
After the stampede the artist Three Solid Frogs got to his feet, retrieved his brush from his nostril, pulled his easel out of a tree, and tried to think placid thoughts.
Re: herbs that don't work 01/24/2005 08:06 AM CST
<< Maybe rubbing their shoulders or applying them to a specific body part might work? >>

Rubbing my shoulders would definitely make ME more potent! As for applying me to body parts...um.... cough I think I'll have to pass.

~Sypmath Myrensa~
Re: herbs that don't work 02/22/2005 05:17 AM CST
>I'd rather have a rejuvination herb than bother clerics

I'd rather there was a rejuve herb, too. We wouldn't have to leave our hunting to go rejuve some poor sod in town then.

~Heroiklim