Empath Experience - Fixes 01/28/2021 05:07 PM CST
So I'm on my 4th attempt to try Empath out, I like it now. It's not that bad once you get past a certain point. But up to that point, it's absolute masochism (intended? jokes aside?). I feel like being able to hunt normally up to a certain point, or skill levels of X, would ease that path in a similar fashion to how the Necromancer experience is if you don't go redeemed. Perhaps your empathy (and in effect, sensitivity) grows with you as you level, such that you're not hardcore shut out of systems of learning if you choose to hunt. One of the central problems is skinning. Sure you're weapons and armor tert, that'll always be an issue keeping at level, but having to go back and learn skinning once you can kill things, or leveling to circle 40 reqs before joining, or whatever, seems insane to me. Maybe I'm the one with the problem, but it's come up enough different times when I've attempted to try this guild out that I figure I should start offering solutions rather than just complaints.
Re: Empath Experience - Fixes 01/28/2021 06:53 PM CST
Empaths and Necros are the only two guilds that have a truly unique circling and hunting experience, as another person who has no skin in the game I'm loathe to see that change much
Re: Empath Experience - Fixes 01/28/2021 09:35 PM CST
A couple of things that may help with your experience:
-The Empath combat kit is designed around sustainability, use this to your advantage.
-There is no need to limit hunting to constructs, manipulate and guardian spirit are great methods to use vs living creatures (*gated by circle)
-Absolution can assist with creature gaps when taking the "active" combat approach with weapons
-Parry training can assist with learning weapon ranks while maintaining an empath capable of healing.
-If combat with mundane weapons is the preferred method of combat, focus on circling to 30, learn shift and IZ, then backtrain.
Re: Empath Experience - Fixes 01/29/2021 09:49 AM CST
<<It's not that bad once you get past a certain point.

My experience empathing was, get regen and you're golden. But you then mentioned hunting, which made me think you were referring to something else (hunting specifically.)

So what about empaths is tough starting out that prompted this?
I find it's still tough to learn empathy from 0-50 ranks.
As stated before, guardian spirit/manipulate gates the early game for empaths & survivals can be gated by hunting.
What other specifics are difficult?

Nikpack
Re: Empath Experience - Fixes 02/04/2021 02:41 PM CST
I guess the central problem is skinning and a fluid progression of targets to learn weapons off of. 250 utility before you can regularly kill the living to learn skinning off of, what do you do til then? How do you get up to casting GS if you want to hunt from day one?
Re: Empath Experience - Fixes 02/04/2021 05:13 PM CST
>>KAELRX: I guess the central problem is skinning and a fluid progression of targets to learn weapons off of. 250 utility before you can regularly kill the living to learn skinning off of, what do you do til then? How do you get up to casting GS if you want to hunt from day one?

Have you tried manipulation? At about 50 ranks of empathy, you should be able to learn from a player Empath.

Bonus: it also trains empathy (provided that what you are hunting poses a sufficient challenge).

GM Cordulia
Re: Empath Experience - Fixes 02/07/2021 10:36 PM CST
Yes. Manipulate doesn't tend to lead to enough corpses to train skinning, if at all. Give it a try on a newbie empath. There's kind of a break and awful low to mid experience. I'm fine now and I like the guild at this point in the process. But that stumbling block made me drop the journey 3 times in the past. Figured it was worth tossing some data points out there.