New Empath Experence 09/08/2018 09:09 PM CDT
So I recently decided to do a round of playing fresh characters of several guilds. While I have not gotten to them all I have to say baby Empaths have it pretty bad.

Empathy is one of the worst skills to train at low ranks. Only thieving really compares (a decent script helps this a lot though). It can take ages to transfer any significant wound. The requirement of having to seek out, or be sought out, by other players for healing makes this bit tough. The slow transfer times makes it very easy to get snipped by older Empaths. The best way to train is to sit glued to another Empath and listen to a class.

Then once you have the minimum 40 ranks + link/GoL buff for empathy to learn manipulate you need who knows how many combat ranks before you can start using it to train. I was under the impression that manipulate had a generous training scale but it doesn't seem to. The wiki indicates things like west gate goblins are capped at 20 ranks of empathy and they surely are not teaching me any at 42 ranks. I already don't want to do a lot of combat with my Empath. I really don't want to sit around watching defences gain mindstates waiting before I can do Empath things again.

Leeches don't teach well after the thing that happened in the sand maze thingy years ago. Perceive Health is just another "how well can you script" exercise and trains poorly and requires an average of what 100 between attunement and empathy to pull off each time? Textbooks and the like are great for scholarship and first aid but worthless for Empathy.

The original skill Transference was introduced to encourage Empaths to actually heal and not just hang out in the sitting room listening to teaching classes. I don't think that carrot is needed anymore in DR today. I mean I'd rather heal people to learn empathy then manipulate in combat or tending leeches off or running a perceive health script. I just don't want to have to be so dependant on other players wanting or needing to be healed and that's a choice you have to make early on or be stuck back training combats to reach the point where you can learn via manipulate.

A task based NPC healing system would be great but also not in the card for quite a while. I'd settle for some form of, I don't know, empathic meditation that trains like summon admittance, or like bardic lore practice or some item sold in the empath shop that you fiddle with that trains it. Or even change to anatomy charts to make them train better and in a similar way to first aid(the first study and last full understanding). Or even my least favorite idea boosting perc health exp and reducing the skill needed to pull it off.
Re: New Empath Experence 09/10/2018 10:07 AM CDT
Lyneya had some great ideas for this for "newbie island"
Re: New Empath Experence 09/10/2018 11:32 AM CDT
>>Lyneya had some great ideas for this for "newbie island"

Yeah that'll be great in 3-4 years when it's done and maybe we get healer tasks off the back of it. And really the issue isn't how hard it is for new Empaths to learn empathy. That's just a side affect. The issue is how sucky empathy is as a skill to train for no other reason then to "encourage" players to heal others.
Re: New Empath Experence 09/11/2018 11:38 AM CDT
<<And really the issue isn't how hard it is for new Empaths to learn empathy. That's just a side affect. The issue is how sucky empathy is as a skill to train for no other reason then to "encourage" players to heal others.>>

It really is very unfortunate that Empathy never got any traction in branching out into not-healing things. The skill was renamed a little over 15 years ago to do precisely that, but it just never happened. And I don't have much optimism that we're in a place that it can happen any time soon due to things like limited development resources, which really stinks.

Coupled with the fact that there's almost no healing to be done ever/anywhere, that pretty much leaves Manipulate as "the" way (singular) to train the skill. It may sound strange coming from me, but having the (basically) only way to train the skill be so heavily tied to combat participation doesn't make much sense. It's a good option and it's great that it's there, but then you've got things like the recent(ish) adjustment to our Survival requirements to make combat more optional conflicting with the way Empathy is actually trained. Even I would rather be able to get my Empathy from somewhere other than "combat against living creatures", so that I can focus my combat time more on fighting undead.

So yeah, either healing opportunities need to become readily available (and independent of the needs/desires of other players...I'll still be happy to heal them even if my Empathy is already mind locked, I promise), or Empathy needs some sort of not-healing, not-combat thing that it can govern and award experience. And it needs to scale nicely from zero to 1750, while also being interesting and fun to engage in. Easy, right?

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: New Empath Experence 09/11/2018 02:05 PM CDT
<<or Empathy needs some sort of not-healing, not-combat thing that it can govern and award experience. And it needs to scale nicely from zero to 1750, while also being interesting and fun to engage in. Easy, right?

At this point with the limited bandwidth the GMs have I'd happily settle for a "meditate empathy" that put you in a 20 sec RT and just awarded scaling exp or for charts to teach on both the first and last study the taught like first aid. I'd grudgingly settle for a significant boost to perc health exp as well. I wouldn't love spinning those scripts back up, but it'd be better then the current situation.
Re: New Empath Experence 09/11/2018 10:09 PM CDT
A few nights ago I was idly considering the issue of learning first aid without a bleeder. I did have a notion loosely based on the museum where people can learn massive amounts of scholarship and appraisal. What if there was a similar museum/laboratory/classroom with various skeletons and displays that one can study to gain first aid and empathy?

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: New Empath Experence 09/12/2018 08:53 AM CDT
Now thats a neat idea, I hate the compendiums & such, I just dont see my characters whipping out a book to start studying it. Thats me, I know others feel differently.

I've just started walking my young characters through RC to learn app better, something like this might be interesting.

Very good suggestion IMHO (grins)
Re: New Empath Experence 09/13/2018 09:38 PM CDT
I like the idea of hunters cutting up cougars to learn first aid and then getting accused of being a necromancer.