Training Sorcery on a new Empath 12/28/2016 03:15 AM CST
I started a new Empath and I want to train Sorcery on him. I've never really bothered with scrolls before because I've never been too fond of magic users(except my Paladin, and I don't train Sorcery on him). According to Elanthipedia, Elemental is the "least dangerous" mana type for Empaths to mix, so I assume that is where I should start? Are there any particular spells that have low casting requirements that are good to start with?
Re: Training Sorcery on a new Empath 12/28/2016 04:42 AM CST

It's pretty easy as an empath, since part of training sorcery is blowing your hands and skin off. Find an introductory level spell scroll (preferably a buff so you can recast often and anywhere), go out of justice areas in case you backfire, and cast away.

Alternatively you could listen in on primary magic classes from a non life user to gain a few ranks, or FOCUSing on a runestone of a spell that uses non life mana.
Re: Training Sorcery on a new Empath 12/28/2016 11:09 AM CST
At less than 50 ranks, focus on any non-life runestone (either looted or purchased from Sierack's Reagents in Shard) and listen to non-life magic (pm) classes. Non-native pm classes are safe to listen to anywhere, even though you'll be learning sorcery from them. You can also listen to the rarer actual sorcery classes but only listen to those outside justice.

At ~50 ranks pick up Zephyr, Tailwind, Sure Footing, Substratum, Ignite, Ethereal Shield, Aura of Tongues or Eillie's Cry on scroll, invoke it and train sorcery from spellcasting outside justice. You'll need knowledge of the Magic Theorist magical feat. You'll need to experiment to find the best amount of mana for experience. Discern doesn't check sorcery ranks so you won't be able to trust it. I try to aim for 2 or 3/34 sorcery experience per cast and then find the least amount of mana that allows for that.

Classes will always be the safest method of sorcery training. Magical research focused on sorcery will be slower and dangerous. I do not recommend sorcerous magical research for non-empaths (unless you have an empath at hand). As an empath sorcerous magical research is an option as you can heal all but fatal backlash. Research is slower than spellcasting at optimal levels with ideal spells.

At 100 ranks learn the Sorcerous Patterns magical feat to reduce chance and severity of sorcerous backlash. Sorcerous patterns does not affect Research backlash.

Once you gain a few hundred ranks you can experiment with less compatible mana frequencies but you aren't going to be able to put much mana into them and they're generally not desirable as training spells. At 600 ranks I don't try putting more than 20 or 30 mana into basic Elemental spells (Elemental being the most dangerous frequency for me as a Moon Mage). As an empath you have a lot more freedom to explore the other frequencies as you can heal yourself.

I try to pick a sorcery spell that's non-combat castable but also mirrors my lowest ur-magic skill and/or fulfills a need my native spellbook doesn't. If your warding skill is lower than augmentation and utility, choose a sorcerous warding spell if possible. Choosing a spell that has practical use for you as well as offering training is ideal. Mental Focus, for example, is a fantastic sorcery spell for Moon Mages as it makes Astral Travel dramatically safer and allows us to recover concentration more quickly when casting 3 or 4 ritual spells in a row.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Training Sorcery on a new Empath 12/28/2016 11:16 AM CST
Oh and keep in mind that sorcerous casting is irrational, dangerous and illegal. It's like playing with a propane blowtorch when you stop to gas up your car - except worse. Why is your character doing it?

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Training Sorcery on a new Empath 12/29/2016 07:40 PM CST
>Oh and keep in mind that sorcerous casting is irrational, dangerous and illegal. It's like playing with a propane blowtorch when you stop to gas up your car - except worse. Why is your character doing it?
What I think a lot of adventurers say "Because everyone else is."

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
"Phelim, what have I wrought?"
GM NaOHHI
---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 S.V.o.L.t.R
Re: Training Sorcery on a new Empath 12/29/2016 09:03 PM CST
>>>Oh and keep in mind that sorcerous casting is irrational, dangerous and illegal. It's like playing with a propane blowtorch when you stop to gas up your car - except worse. Why is your character doing it?

The combination of being magic prime (and all training that goes with it on screen and off), being physically altered by empathic touch, and a blasé attitude towards death that comes from clerical resurrection would be why my character eschews the warnings of "don't play with sorcery, you might burn yourself" and actively seeks to learn everything he can about it and pushes the envelope any chance he gets.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh