Taking Infections 10/14/2016 11:08 AM CDT
I will be quick and to the point: I am having no luck transferring infections at 108 empathy. I thought that the wiki showed this at something like 80 empathy required so I am curious what the mechanics are around this. Is it purely a factor of my empathy vs the severity of the infection? I have been using TAKE [patient] CAREFUL DISEASE and always receive a message to the effect of the poison being too strong. I assumed I did it wrong the first time when I got the poison messaging but /shrug
I attempted transfers on one patient from the time it was a severe infection all the way to it being gone and never was successful.

Can I get some feedback on how this works and what I may be doing wrong.

Thanks!
Re: Taking Infections 10/14/2016 04:40 PM CDT

Try just "take patient disease". I think adding the careful modifier makes the transfer more difficult to perform.
Re: Taking Infections 10/14/2016 04:58 PM CDT
Not sure if disease is harder or easier, but I wasn't able to take dobek poison until around 120 or so Empathy, if I remember correctly.
Re: Taking Infections 10/14/2016 05:33 PM CDT

I too remember it being harder than 100. Try casting GoL. That should help. You can also link empathy with another empath.
Re: Taking Infections 10/14/2016 06:10 PM CDT
>>Pyrianaz17: I will be quick and to the point: I am having no luck transferring infections at 108 empathy. I thought that the wiki showed this at something like 80 empathy required so I am curious what the mechanics are around this. Is it purely a factor of my empathy vs the severity of the infection? I have been using TAKE [patient] CAREFUL DISEASE and always receive a message to the effect of the poison being too strong.

Some poisons and diseases are harder to transfer than others. The rank estimate on Elanthipedia may just be a starting point for the easiest poisons and diseases.

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Empath new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_new_player_guide

Empath hunting ladder: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_hunting_ladder
Re: Taking Infections 10/17/2016 10:21 AM CDT
Be especially careful taking cyanide poisoning. It's onset can be very sudden and incredibly debilitating. It'll result in unbelievable internal chest damage as it destroys the lungs.
Re: Taking Infections 10/17/2016 12:39 PM CDT
<<Try just "take patient disease". I think adding the careful modifier makes the transfer more difficult to perform.

According to Elanthipedia https://elanthipedia.play.net/Empath_healing

"The CAREFUL option decreases the speed of the transfer, but it reduces the amount of skill needed. When carefully transferring a partial wound, there is a decreased risk of losing control and transferring all of a wound. This also makes it easier to reduce wound severity."

I think the OP was correct in using the careful modifier to make the transfer easier; unless the Elanthipedia page is outdated (which is certainly possible). Most of it looks up to date and from Melete herself. So my best guess is that disease transfers are higher than 108 ranks.

Nikpack
Re: Taking Infections 10/17/2016 01:45 PM CDT

Good to know. Thanks
Re: Taking Infections 10/17/2016 04:58 PM CDT
>>Nikpack: I think the OP was correct in using the careful modifier to make the transfer easier; unless the Elanthipedia page is outdated (which is certainly possible). Most of it looks up to date and from Melete herself.

The information about transfer syntax is accurate. Taking something carefully is easier but takes longer. Taking something quickly takes less time but is harder.

>>Nikpack: So my best guess is that disease transfers are higher than 108 ranks.

As I stated earlier, some poisons and diseases simply require more skill to transfer than others. (The ranks indicated on the wiki -- 40 for poison and 80 for disease -- approximate the bare minimum requirements for the simplest conditions.)

Below is the response from GM Melete that I got when I asked about rank requirements while working on the ability checklist: http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Empaths/Healing%20Systems/view/1136

Re: Rank Requirements for Transferring Vitality, Poison, Disease, and Shock? on 03/06/2015 05:55 PM EST

Diseases can vary in severity. Sometimes they're very tough to transfer, sometimes very easy. Like with many things, there isn't a hard skill rank where you will succeed every time.

Very rarely, even extremely skilled Empaths can run into poisons or diseases that they're unable to transfer.

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Empath new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_new_player_guide

Empath hunting ladder: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_hunting_ladder
Re: Taking Infections 10/17/2016 06:55 PM CDT
<<As I stated earlier, some poisons and diseases simply require more skill to transfer than others. (The ranks indicated on the wiki -- 40 for poison and 80 for disease -- approximate the bare minimum requirements for the simplest conditions.)

Sorry! Yes that too.

I was caught up in the CAREFUL modifier because it confused me as well. I could see being careful both ways: Either making it easier because you were going slowly or more difficult because you were trying to less the kinetics of wound transfer. It's always been jumbled in my brain

Nikpack
Re: Taking Infections 10/18/2016 09:55 AM CDT

Also something to keep in mind in regards to both, some diseases and poisons require much more skill that base ranks to take. One I can think of off the top of my head is the HE poison, which my empath had difficulty taking without GOL up past 600 ranks of empathy. While this may be a "special" poison, it does make it something to consider since poisons and diseases have varying levels of difficulty from what I recall.