Combat Empath questions 12/27/2015 05:22 AM CST
So I'm thinking of reactivating my Empath that I haven't played for 10+ years and going the combat route with him. I stopped playing before combat Empaths were really a thing(I don't remember if they could even fight constructs at the time, but there was no construct ladder to speak of anyway), and had a couple questions.

He's circle 40(I think). Are there any spells that are must haves for combat? Obviously Absolution, Vigor and GS(and a Manifest Force scroll), but nothing else really jumped out at me while browsing the spells on Elanthipedia and I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything.

Are there any particular scrolls I should keep an eye out for to train Sorcery(I quit him before Sorcery was a thing and unless it got grandfathered in 3.0 he probably has zero Sorcery) for?

And about Absolution, does it work on Cursed creatures like Blight Ogres and Togballs and stuff, or just straight up Undead?
Re: Combat Empath questions 12/27/2015 07:23 AM CST

Well AgS is your go to defensive buff. If you're going the route of Absolution and training weapons, AD will also be a useful buff, as will literally any TM spell. If you want to train sorcery, Fireball is a good one, if you don't want to risk exploding in combat (which is not a problem for empaths!), pick up a Ranger TM like Carrion Call.
Re: Combat Empath questions 12/27/2015 08:28 AM CST
As was already mentioned, AGS and AD are good choices. So are Iron Constitution and Perseverance of Peri'el for enhanced defensive capabilities, though PoP might be difficult to use at that level. We also have a plethora of stat boosters that will help with using debilitation spells and Manipulation. Oh, speaking of debilitation, Nissa's Binding is immensely valuable both for its inherent effects and for training the skill. I'd also pick up Paralysis for TM training and in case you need to disable an undead creature (since NB doesn't work on them). Lethargy is pretty handy if you're struggling to hit things, but I'd call that one less critical.

If you're interested in offense (which it sounds like you are), I'd recommend including the use of Brawling since we have a skill buff for it in AGS. And while it doesn't involve sorcery, I'd highly recommend trying to find Wisdom of the Pack for a scroll spell. It's a Ranger spell that boosts Wisdom and Tactics, which are both handy.

Regarding your question on Absolution, it only works on things that are truly undead. It is wise to PERCEIVE the creature you're about to hit first to make sure; the messaging has recently been updated to make it clear whether the creature is living, undead, or a construct.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Combat Empath questions 12/27/2015 11:23 AM CST

For clarification, Absolution doesn't work on things that are Cursed? Like Bloodvines or Basilisk?
Re: Combat Empath questions 12/27/2015 11:29 AM CST
>For clarification, Absolution doesn't work on things that are Cursed? Like Bloodvines or Basilisk?

"2) This spell DOES NOT affect "evil" creatures that happen to be alive, only those that are literally undead. PERC first."

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Premium_Preview:_Absolution_spell_-_01/21/2015_-_15:21

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html