Help! Spell fails 06/10/2015 10:37 PM CDT

Hi Folks

I have recently returned to the realms and have chosen the spells I need. Tymbri is a 28th level Empath but I get this when I try and cast Guardian Spirit:

Currently lacking the skill to complete the pattern, your spell fails completely.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks
Re: Help! Spell fails 06/10/2015 10:40 PM CDT

It means you don't have the skill to cast the spell. Try to get a cleric to cast a strong sanctify pattern on you (Utility), try picking up utility feat, and get your (life magic + utility) / 2 closer to 200.
Re: Help! Spell fails 06/11/2015 12:30 AM CDT
Also, go to elanthipedia.play.net and plug in any spells you have trouble with or aren't sure about before choosing, look at the Skill Range listed, and make sure you have the minimum requirements. You can see that, as mentioned, GS has a lower skill limit of 200.
Re: Help! Spell fails 06/11/2015 02:14 AM CDT

Thanks Folks ...as always I appreciate the help.
Re: Help! Spell fails 06/11/2015 07:19 AM CDT
I've also received that message when trying to cast a spell before it's prepared enough. If you're casting before full prep, that could be it.

I

"Q: This is stupid. / Work on something we actually need changed! / Why aren't you working on something I want you to work on?
"A: Kindly shut up." ~ GM Naohhi
Re: Help! Spell fails 06/11/2015 10:30 AM CDT
<<I've also received that message when trying to cast a spell before it's prepared enough. If you're casting before full prep, that could be it.

As a general fyi about this, the reason why this is the case is that casting before full prep increases the skill required. If you don't have enough skill to cover the increased requirement you'll get the same skill-based fail message. Some spells also appear to have a minimum preparation time required (up to and including full prep) where no amount of skill will let you bypass the check. These cases will also return the same message.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Help! Spell fails 06/11/2015 02:40 PM CDT

Oh, and don't forget link. Link to a high level player and borrow some of their utility to get the spell off.
Re: Help! Spell fails 06/25/2015 02:08 AM CDT
>Some spells also appear to have a minimum preparation time required (up to and including full prep) where no amount of skill will let you bypass the check. These cases will also return the same message.

Interesting. As an aside, the Cleric Resurrection spell is the only one I know with a special line saying it may ONLY be cast at full preparation. Trying to cast before that doesn't wipe the prep at least.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear