A Little Empathy Please? 05/26/2009 03:58 PM CDT
Hello! I rolled up a new empath, and haven't really played one consistently in many years. I've done pretty substantial healing on two people, and with both, I couldn't get my skill past thoughtful, and yielded hardly any experience (less than a rank).

Can the ways to learn empathy at circle one be evaluated? One of the biggest frustrations is you just can't heal all that much without the pain becoming overwhelming, and it takes a bit of scholarship for charts to kick in.
Re: A Little Empathy Please? 05/26/2009 04:05 PM CDT
Were you keeping yourself healed as you went? I found that I wasn't getting as much or even any of the "pain becoming overwhelming" stuff if i'd keep my body as clean as I could.

That being said, the teaching is still rather low and it doesn't really get any better at the high end. As long as you can get and stay thoughtful it might not be as much of an issue with the new experience but you'd have to keep it at least that high

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: A Little Empathy Please? 05/26/2009 04:18 PM CDT
The best way to get the first few circles worth of Empathy is to have another Empath teach you.

-- Player of Szrael --

You grip the oversized book hanging from your leather belt and survey the area with a hint of malice in your eyes.

With a violent cross-body motion, you draw your oversized book.
Re: A Little Empathy Please? 05/27/2009 02:33 AM CDT
"The best way to get the first few circles worth of Empathy is to have another Empath teach you."

Lame.

-liiililillliili-
Re: A Little Empathy Please? 05/27/2009 02:44 AM CDT
>>lame

It makes sense to me.

It's also a great way to get teaching and scholarship, and it gives newbs a chance to hang out with a more advanced Empath.

It's possible to get all your Empathy from healing, but healing is hard when you start out, and rightly so, I think. Especially considering the nature of healing in Elanthia.

-- Player of Szrael --

You grip the oversized book hanging from your leather belt and survey the area with a hint of malice in your eyes.

With a violent cross-body motion, you draw your oversized book.
Re: A Little Empathy Please? 05/27/2009 06:17 AM CDT
I always heard it was hard to establish and maintain the link required to learn empathy through teaching. is this not true?

Nikpack
player of more than I should list

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: A Little Empathy Please? 05/27/2009 08:43 AM CDT
I've done it with a few newbs in TF with no problems maintaining the link. If it drops we just relink

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: A Little Empathy Please? 05/27/2009 12:22 PM CDT
>>I always heard it was hard to establish and maintain the link required to learn empathy through teaching. is this not true?

It used to be the case at and shortly after the time it was first released. This was changed way back in Teaching 1.0 days, and now you essentially won't break links at all unless you do something else that already has that functionality--for example, if you drop mindstate, get too much head/nerves trauma, die, walk out of the room, cast too many spells, manipulate, or enter combat.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.