Learning Empathy 02/25/2009 04:09 PM CST
It's been a while.

I have a slight case of Empathic Shock so I can't perceive health or transfer wounds.

What are my options?

~Karaethon
Re: Learning Empathy 02/25/2009 04:55 PM CST
The only ways to learn empathy at all are:

perc health
transferrance (healing wounds/scars/etc)
link
classes (which require you to link, so no link = no classes)
blood critters
manipulate
shift

Order of teaching efficacy is:

classes
transferrance (to be flipflopped with perc health after a certain level)
perc health
manipulate (in terms of how it used to be and how it presumably will be when fixed, it's broke now)
shift
blood critters
link

With shock, I believe classes/link, transferrance, perc health, and shift are gone. That leaves only manipulate and blood critters, neither of which teaches well for one reason or another (ie, blood critters are too slow to gen, manipulate is broken) with the possibility that you also aren't skilled enough to have manipulate in the first place (though you sound old enough to have shift).

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Learning Empathy 02/25/2009 06:36 PM CST
Teach another Empath Empathy. They initiate the link, and you accept (you can still accept links, just not initiate). You teach -- they learn, but you will also learn a little bit. It's not much. If you plan to be shocked for very long, you may as well give up on circling.

Normal run of the mill shock doesn't usually last very long. The longest I've seen was 24 logged in hours. (YMMV if you stacked it up, killed a creature or killed a player.) Usually it's more like 6-8 logged in hours.

-- Player of Szrael --

\x'Empathic shock is a purely physical reaction with no moral or ethical component.\r
Re: Learning Empathy 02/25/2009 07:04 PM CST

"Normal run of the mill shock doesn't usually last very long. The longest I've seen was 24 logged in hours. (YMMV if you stacked it up, killed a creature or killed a player.) Usually it's more like 6-8 logged in hours."

My memory could be messing with me, but I think the last time I acquired The Shock it was well over 100 logged in hours.

Is there a cap on how Shocked you can get?

Also: How much time would I be sentenced to serve if I reached that cap?

Also: YMMV?

Also: Who do I need to bribe to get shock re-written to be a little more Interesting? It's bland and could use a dash of Paprika or something.

~Karaethon
Re: Learning Empathy 02/25/2009 07:55 PM CST
The duration of the shock depends on what you did to get it. The shock for swinging at a creature and missing is a lot shorter than the shock for killing a creature or whatever. (Or so I've gathered. One of the plat Empaths is the real expert here.)

If you do something to shock yourself, you can add to the duration by doing more shock-inducing activities. The duration seems to stack up.

Killing a player is the worst, it results in years (logged in) of shock.

You can share shock with other Empaths. They will take half of the duration for themselves, and will not get a shock scar for sharing the shock. That Empath (if I am remembering correctly) can then share their shock to half the duration, and so on.

And yeah, shock is boring and irritatingly binary. There was supposed to be a rewrite under way -- basically shock would no longer be binary. The shock severity would simply lessen an Empath's Empathic powers until they essentially became a normal person -- could hunt, and do whatever. There was also supposed to be a quest implemented to remove the shock/shock scar.

I made the character Szrael in anticipation of these changes, but I haven't heard a peep from the Empath team about these in a while, and I'm beginning to think the Necro guild is going to come out first. (Prove me wrong, Empath devs!)

-- Player of Szrael --

\x'Empathic shock is a purely physical reaction with no moral or ethical component.\r
Re: Learning Empathy 02/25/2009 10:39 PM CST
empaths before necros.. PLEASE!!

(and thank you)
Re: Learning Empathy 02/26/2009 05:05 AM CST
Shock 2.0 and the Shock Quest are in development now, but we experienced a slight setback when upgrading Healing. I'm waiting on something to get finished first before they can all enter into QC.

-GM Obseden
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
"Anything's possible. Especially since I'm rewriting the system."
Re: Learning Empathy 02/26/2009 05:39 AM CST
<3 thank you
Re: Learning Empathy 02/26/2009 03:11 PM CST
>My memory could be messing with me, but I think the last time I acquired The Shock it was well over 100 logged in hours.

>Is there a cap on how Shocked you can get?

>Also: How much time would I be sentenced to serve if I reached that cap?

Lorz did a nice summary on the current mechanics. Based on intentionally embracing Shock as a life style my observations are that the length of Shock stun and active Shock does depend on the causing action(s) and whether you are virgin, have been previously Shocked or are currently Shocked. It does add up to eventually capping at 2 years of logged in game time if you do no other Shock inducing action and don't have the Shock shared. Killing something takes you to that cap immediately.

The least amount of active Shock time on a single action, no or low damage attack I've had or seen with another Empath is 3 hours of in-game time with a 60 second stun. A single sharing of that Shock reduced it in half. A second sharing appeared to reduce the Shock time in half again.

I have multiple accounts and had 7 Empaths at one point to verify results. You need a 10th Circle Empath to share so it's not too hard to set up, and reroll if/as needed. You just need to be certifiable to do it.

Repetitive actions add time on quickly. For example, I did back to back BOLT and STRANGE ARROW casts and the active Shock time was 12 hours in game. That was with light hits, low mana casts.

Obseden's post was good news. A word of caution, if it is finalized at what he once indicated in a discussion in Plat the cap will increase and the Quest will be required to jump start recovery. Right now all we need is time and/or a lot of Empaths willing to share. The bad news for Plat is that when it comes out one of my Empaths will be one in Guild name only again.

Asbhuan/Plat
Re: Learning Empathy 02/26/2009 03:14 PM CST
Forgot to mention since you had also asked about ways to learn Empathy while Shocked that there are also the anatomy charts. It's not great but it is a little something.

Asbhuan