the first circle empath and the crazy moonmages poison 08/29/2008 11:26 AM CDT
In an attempt to have a first circle empath learn some empathy we attempted to give Mozzik some poison (to give him vit damage) by feeding him a viper sac. the first bite proved ineffectual. then came another bite, and another, and another (mind you the second bite took him to critical poison). finally after MANY bites he finished off the sac. sometime around this time he gained massive internal eye bleeders and still had his critical poison. sometime around this time he realized that he had a problem, and got to the crossing autoempath just in time, joining the list just before the dying stage hit. with the help of the first level empath he manage to just barely not die. The learning for the empath taking the vitality of Mozzik was very good though. below is some of the log of the events.

Your Scribe,
Elaniea

You get a poisonous viper sac from inside your duffel bag.
J> swap

You move some vivid silk ladybugs to your left hand.
You move a poisonous viper sac to your right hand.
J>
Mozzik puts his orb in his blue greatcloak.
J> give moz

You offer your viper sac to Mozzik, who has 30 seconds to accept the offer. Type CANCEL to prematurely cancel the offer.
J>
Mozzik has accepted your offer and is now holding a poisonous viper sac.
J>
Mozzik eats a poisonous viper sac.

... in this time period Mozzik eats the sac MANY more times...

J> l moz

You see Fateweaver Mozzik Yavashkyo, Mystic Artisan of the House of the Rowan Branch, an Elothean Moon Mage.
Mozzik has an angular face, slightly pointed ears, tilted almond-shaped eyes, one blind and emerald and one emerald and a straight nose. His red-gold hair is shoulder length and wavy, and is worn in a tousled, finger-combed style. He has weathered skin and a lean build.
He is a bit over average height for a Elothean.
He is in his prime for an Elothean.
He has a tattoo of an evenly spaced series of fine lines that forms a complicated web that begins at the tips of his fingers and extends up both arms, reaching its conclusion on his face.
He has a severely swollen, bruised and blind right eye, a severely swollen and bruised left eye.
He is bleeding with widespread discoloration in the right eye.
He has a bad case of the shakes.

You say, "this looks like it was a good idea"

You grin.

Mozzik says, "I hate you on so many levels."

You say, "i know"

Mozzik grimaces terribly, as if in agony.
J>
Mozzik leaps to his feet!
J>
Fateweaver Mozzik's group just went northeast.

... At this time Mozzik rushes to the crossing autoempath he makes it there and gets his name on the list...

You see Fateweaver Mozzik Yavashkyo, Mystic Artisan of the House of the Rowan Branch, an Elothean Moon Mage.
Mozzik has an angular face, slightly pointed ears, tilted almond-shaped eyes, one blind and emerald and one cloudy and emerald and a straight nose. His red-gold hair is shoulder length and wavy, and is worn in a tousled, finger-combed style. He has weathered skin and a lean build.
He is a bit over average height for a Elothean.
He is in his prime for an Elothean.
He has a tattoo of an evenly spaced series of fine lines that forms a complicated web that begins at the tips of his fingers and extends up both arms, reaching its conclusion on his face.
He has a severely swollen, bruised and blind right eye, a severely swollen, bruised and cloudy left eye, difficulty controlling actions.
He is bleeding with slight bruising in the left eye and with serious rigidity, discoloration and a pulsing sensation in the right eye.

Mozzik grimaces terribly, as if in agony.
Mozzik stops teaching.
Mozzik's in shock and dying!

He appears to be dying! Other than that...
He looks fatigued.
He has a severely swollen, bruised and blind right eye, a severely swollen, bruised and blind left eye, some minor twitching, slight difficulty moving his arms and legs.
He is bleeding with widespread discoloration in the left eye and with serious rigidity, discoloration and a pulsing sensation in the right eye.

... and then Mozzik gets healed up by the autoempath (5000 kro down) and tries again... at least it is good training for the 1st level empath, at least until the point where mozzik died on the second attempt

J> * Mozzik was just struck down!

* Mozzik is slain before your eyes!
Mozzik's viper sac falls to the ground.
Re: the first circle empath and the crazy moonmages poison 08/29/2008 03:01 PM CDT
Eating viper sacs can be fun, but a much less dangerous way to learn Empathy at very low levels is just to listen to an Empathy class.

For serious.

It's much, much better than laboriously trying to heal people -- and it makes sense to me that Novice Empaths would benefit from listening to a more advanced Empath lecture on Empathy, before they go out and try to actually heal people. This has the added benefit of teaching scholarship and teaching as well as Empathy, all skills novice Empaths will need to advance in their guild.

...If you want to continue that experiment, however, I recommend moruryn stingers above viper sacs, because moruryn poison hits random places all over the body when eaten, unlike nerve poison. Thus you end up with lots of vitality loss, and bleeding and so on, but you're less likely to get gushing internal eye bleeders since the poison is distributed over a larger area of the body.
Re: the first circle empath and the crazy moonmages poison 08/29/2008 09:05 PM CDT
>>way to learn Empathy at very low levels is just to listen to an Empathy class.

I gotta agree 100% here, what one can do in an afternoon of empathy classes vrs healing to get the exp is amazing.

Got Body Parts?
Re: the first circle empath and the crazy moonmages poison 08/30/2008 02:58 AM CDT
Just as some reflection on learning empath (Heck I had enough for 5th circle in everything else by the time I finally got empath off learning).

From my little experience the difference between trying to learn empath at 4-5 ranks vs 7 or 8 is mind boggling huge. Until I got up to that range, I could transfer even the little wound for more then a tiny bit, have to heal, restart the link etc. I literally couldn't even just constantly heal the spot to keep the link going. I never got off learning until I tried vit healing, which actually was training quite well... but was very risky (Due to, you know, the lack of vit healing and circle 1 stamina). Couldn't learn it in any alternative method I could find.

Once I actually got to about that 7 or 8 mark though... it was like flipping a switch. It's skill by far the limited skill for circling, but I got up to 4th circle without much problems - still never mind locked it, but got it to some decent mind stats, could transfer woulds for quite awhile as long as I was on top of not letting them grow past a level or two on myself, from a bunch of body parts at once. The difference in difficulty in healing ES and IW vs EW at that level is... a bit of a big jump, and that really was my limiting factor in empath trying to heal myself.

I dunno... lesson here? Don't trust the thief, and I think baby emapths would have a LOT better experience with the guild if transfering wounds was just a FEW ranks easier then it is.

Also... WOW there were a lot of baby empaths yesterday. I haven't noticed that in other guilds, but Mozzik got roped into teaching like... 3+ at once that had to all have been 1st circle or close to it. I'd say in about 8-10 hours playing around mostly in the empaths guild I encountered at least a half dozen empaths either new that day, or within the last day or two.

-- Mozzik, the Fateweaver

Caelumia says, "I love the tools even more."
Re: the first circle empath and the crazy moonmages poison 09/06/2008 11:42 AM CDT
I'm pretty sure that the intentional infliction of wounds for the sole purpose of gaining empathy from healing them is considered mech abuse.

~ Player of Farman et al.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Re: the first circle empath and the crazy moonmages poison 09/06/2008 04:57 PM CDT
>I'm pretty sure that the intentional infliction of wounds for the sole purpose of gaining empathy from healing them is considered mech abuse.

Yeah, I was told once by a GM that it was.

Class teaches better now anyway...so no biggie this day and age :)

-Criminal Clemency L'Envers
Re: the first circle empath and the crazy moonmages poison 09/07/2008 01:22 PM CDT
>I'm pretty sure that the intentional infliction of wounds for the sole purpose of gaining empathy from healing them is considered mech abuse.

I can't make sense of the above statement. I do things intentionally all the time with the sole purpose of learning a skill.

Defender Farluk Zoulvaun of the Monks, an Elven Moon Mage
Re: the first circle empath and the crazy moonmages poison 09/07/2008 02:30 PM CDT
Yes, it's technically mechanics abuse.

Good luck finding a GM that cares enough to bust you for it.

Rev. Reene

Zinaca says, "and I love smelly cat"
Zinaca says, "the cat"
Zinaca says, "not the folks"
Re: the first circle empath and the crazy moonmages poison 09/07/2008 11:19 PM CDT
Mech abuse really???

Dang it,I am constantly asking people to shoot at me. Practicing my defenses and for first aid. (and occasionally i can actually block it and that is a fun little suprise)

Re: the first circle empath and the crazy moonmages poison 09/08/2008 12:18 AM CDT
>>Mech abuse really???

It's not really a big deal, I'd think, unless you do it a lot over a long term to get lots of EXP. It's one thing for your friends to jokingly spar so that you can get some Empathy, and another thing for you to set up a second account with a character on it whose sole purpose is to go out and get wounded to bring wounds back to you so you can learn Empathy, or to use your avenger on that character to wound him so that you can get Empathy over and over and over and over.

I don't think anyone will ever be busted for the "here, cast FS on me so I can get a bleeder." thing.

Dragonrealms Tourney Calendar: http://tourneydr.com
Upcoming Tournies:
80 and Under - Wed Sep 3rd at 9PM EST
No Limit - Sunday Sep 7th at 8PM EST
40 and Under - Wed Sep 10th at 9PM EST
Re: the first circle empath and the crazy moonmages poison 09/08/2008 12:21 AM CDT
>> It's one thing for your friends to jokingly spar so that you can get some Empathy, and another thing for you to set up a second account with a character on it whose sole purpose is to go out and get wounded to bring wounds back to you so you can learn Empathy

This is correct, AFAIK. It would have to be really blatant and/or gross abuse to warrant a GM's attention.

Rev. Reene

Zinaca says, "and I love smelly cat"
Zinaca says, "the cat"
Zinaca says, "not the folks"