Learning empathy (was Lazy Autopath in Disc Folder) 09/28/2006 01:27 PM CDT
<<I realize I'm getting off topic here. This just piqued my curiosity. My girlfriend has started playing an empath and seeing as how I never played one I'm trying to research how to better her experience. Can you explain tending blood critters? Any help is appreciated.>>

You can theoretically never heal and still advance through the guild. You'd have to start with a willingness to remain 1rst circle while you do this: training magic with SOP, training FA to about 100 ranks, training some swimming, and (if you want to go to the croc marsh) training evasion to at least 80 ranks. Then you can go to the marsh and tend off bloodworms or to muspari to tend off red leeches in the sand pits. The leeches are more plentiful, though, so you'll learn better there.

While there are a few areas with other blood sucking critters, those two are still your best bet as far as ease of getting them attached to you.

Unless you do that, the only way for an empath circles 1-20 (or thereabouts) is able to learn empathy is through healing. Stats that help you will be stamina and discpline. I think, but have not tested it to be absolutely sure, that charisma helps, too. Until you're 10th circle (or have that much empathy) you'll struggle to take at least certain wounds. Best thing is to stick with externals and their scars, casting healing spells on the area while you're taking the wound. Using cambrinth to help you pull of the spell.

I wish there were other options for the beginning empath. I still think that they shouldn't learn the ability to heal until 10th circle at which time they'd not have the same struggles as they currently have circles 1-10...and either start with 0 empathy at 10th or have had other ways to learn empathy until 10th.

I also like the idea that an empath could choose to not be a healer. Plus, I really wish we could hunt the undead or any critter that isn't alive. It'd be neat if some empaths could give up their healing abilities and just hunt, too. All pipe dreams that have been tossed around and beaten beyond death, but I just thought I'd juggle them momentarily again : )

Good luck with the empath training : )

Lis
Re: Learning empathy (was Lazy Autopath in Disc Folder) 09/28/2006 01:31 PM CDT
(blush) I almost forgot to add:

You wander around the marsh (up on stone road, near the ferry from NTR to Riverhaven) and you keep checking yourself to see if you have worms on you. Come to think of it, there might be a perception check for this as well. When you see a worm on you, you TEND MY LEFT LEG (or whatever area it is) and the worm should come off provided you have enough FA.

I think guilds that don't use empathy will use skinning skill. So you may need to also train up skinning and hold a knife in your hand then REMOVE WORM.

The same works in the sand pits up in Muspar'i. Maybe someone else knows more about how much skill you need (and which skills) if you're not factoring empathy into the equation.

Lis
Re: Learning empathy (was Lazy Autopath in Disc Folder) 09/28/2006 01:48 PM CDT
You also learn animal lore for the tending. Not much that I've seen, but it does get it moving.
Re: Learning empathy (was Lazy Autopath in Disc Folder) 09/28/2006 02:31 PM CDT
there is also the LINK ability.. while it trains slowly... it does train. Might also consider having another empath teach empathy.... Healing to advance is no longer a 'must' in this guild anymore... Thank god!

Got Body Parts?
Re: Learning empathy (was Lazy Autopath in Disc Folder) 09/28/2006 03:34 PM CDT
Around fifth circle, you can sit in the room with an empath, and perceive health every so often ad nauseum without moving....and you will train well enough to get those beginning annoying ranks.

Renegade Empath Raudhan just arrived.

A cutthroat gasps, "I can't get UP!"

You begin to lecture Reexa on the proper use of the brawling skill.
You cackle!
You strike a heroic pose.
Re: Learning empathy (was Lazy Autopath in Disc Folder) 09/28/2006 03:51 PM CDT
BOO, Lis beat me. Gahlron posted this question in the Q&A folder, you may want to repost your response there, it's much more detailed than mine.

~Arwinia

It's mind over matter. I don't mind, because you don't matter.
Re: Learning empathy (was Lazy Autopath in Disc Folder) 09/28/2006 06:52 PM CDT
Activate empath from before transference, then get the ranks grandfathered.

I am --- Navak
Re: Learning empathy (was Lazy Autopath in Disc Folder) 09/30/2006 12:35 AM CDT
>>the only way for an empath circles 1-20 (or thereabouts) is able to learn empathy is through healing.

IIRC, I started using perc health for circling around 16th circle.

>>there might be a perception check for this as well.

There is. For non-empaths, perception is a big factor in noticing. As far as I know, empathy provides a large bonus to this. Plus, at low ranks, healing teaches perception pretty well.

>>I also like the idea that an empath could choose to not be a healer.

I do, too. And now, it's pretty freaking easy to do. I started my empath maybe a year and a half ago, and he's only been a "healer" when he feels like it. Mainly, he views it as a source of income and nothing more. He won't heal bad tippers, because if he isn't making money there's no point in healing. He spends probably 60% of his time hunting solo. I too would love to see hunting undead/non-living (yay logic!), but it is possible right now to play a non-healer empath.
Re: Learning empathy (was Lazy Autopath in Disc Folder) 11/09/2006 10:32 AM CST
questions about learning from link:

do learn more with a greater difference in skill?

do you learn anything if youre more skilled than your link target?

does it teach better than manipulate?

thanks,

Jakobe
Re: Learning empathy (was Lazy Autopath in Disc Folder) 11/09/2006 10:38 AM CST
1 - not sure about this
2 - yes you definatly learn even if they are of lower rank then you
3 - This question is hard to answer, time comparison strictly for Empathy skill, no, Manipulate teaches better in my observation, but if you take into consideration that LINK also teaches the skill you link in and scholarship as well as Empathy, as a whole I think LINK teaches fairly well

Got Body Parts?