How to use GS? 09/21/2014 02:36 PM CDT
I've been considering getting GS as a 77th circle empath. I'm wondering what the "rules" might be, for example:

1. How much mana needs to be put into it for it to be effective?

2. Can buffs be cast on it to help it?

3. Can it be healed?

4. If it gets killed, can it be cast again right away?

5. What are some "best practices" that others have been using?

All combats are in the 375 to 400 range including TM and Debil

Other magics are all over 600. Any thoughts or guidelines on how to use GS would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: How to use GS? 09/21/2014 03:10 PM CDT

My Empath with ~280 TM and combats has been using an 8 mana GS to hunt in gryphons. The guardian takes down gryphons REAAAAAAAAAAASONABLY fast, but not super duper quickly. If I put Vigor on it, and support it with tactics, Paralyze, and Lethargy, it goes a bit quicker, but meh. Mostly just in it for the training now, and at 8 mana TM locks pretty nicely, and I kill enough to move skinning, so, there's that.

I think, as it goes;

1 ) More than 8? I haven't really experimented with pumping more in, since where I'm hunting presently doesn't have good mana.

2 ) Vigor will buff it's STR/AGL.

3 ) No.

4 ) I think it's only bound by the same stuff that cyclic recasting is.

5 ) SUPPORT WARRIOR made things a lot better.
Re: How to use GS? 09/21/2014 03:50 PM CDT
>>Bluesuedeshoes: 1. How much mana needs to be put into it for it to be effective?

For everyday hunting, I cast Guardian Spirit at 10 mana. (I want to maintain enough attunement to maintain my five spell buffs and train debilitation via Nissa's Binding.) This is perfectly adequate for training TM and supplementing my kill rate.

>>Bluesuedeshoes: 2. Can buffs be cast on it to help it?

A few augmentation and warding spells can be cast on your warrior. The Empath spells of Vigor and Awaken can be cast on a warrior. (I tested the Analogous Patterns spells of Lay Ward and Manifest Force, but they cannot be cast on warriors.)

>>Bluesuedeshoes: 3. Can it be healed?

No.

> TOUCH WARRIOR
You reach out and lay your hand on the tall alfar warrior's arm.

You sense a successful empathic link has been forged between you and a tall alfar warrior.
You feel the burning fire of pain and suffering slowly building as you begin to draw out the truth of the warrior's injuries.

The creature's life force is alien to you. Though you can empathize with a tall alfar warrior in a sense, peculiar sensations begin to overwhelm you and you feel your control of the empathic link slip away.

>>Bluesuedeshoes: 4. If it gets killed, can it be cast again right away?

I think so, but I was arrested for disturbing the peace right before the warrior died, so I didn't get to re-cast the spell for a couple of minutes.

>>Bluesuedeshoes: 5. What are some "best practices" that others have been using?

Make sure you adjust your warrior's stance and behavior. (It won't attack for you in a passive stance, which is the default stance.)

COMMAND WARRIOR TO STANCE [OFFENSE|BALANCED|DEFENSE]: controls combat capabilities

COMMAND WARRIOR TO BEHAVIOR [AGGRESSIVE|DEFENSIVE|PASSIVE]: controls what enemies your warrior will attack

You can also SUPPORT WARRIOR.

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: How to use GS? 09/21/2014 10:45 PM CDT
Awesome, thanks for the replies. Would anyone suggest the following?

COMMAND WARRIOR TO STANCE OFFENSE

COMMAND WARRIOR TO BEHAVIOR AGGRESSIVE

and can I also then use SUPPORT WARRIOR?

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: How to use GS? 09/22/2014 01:17 AM CDT
>>Bluesuedeshoes: Would anyone suggest the following?

I always use offensive stance and aggressive behavior.

>>Bluesuedeshoes: and can I also then use SUPPORT WARRIOR?

You can SUPPORT WARRIOR any time it's engaged.

Syntax:
SUPPORT FRONT|FACE <NAME> Face target in front of named.
SUPPORT CHECK <NAME> Same as above, but does not face target.
SUPPORT FLANK <NAME> Face first target flanking named.
SUPPORT REAR <NAME> Face first target to the rear of named.

SUPPORT <NAME> Face FRONT, then FLANK, then REAR of named until target found.

This command will cause you to change your facing to support an ally if an appropriate target is found. It may also be used on critters.

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: How to use GS? 09/22/2014 05:27 AM CDT
Thanks Sarkranis, that's very helpful.