ways to avoid hitting live creatures 12/10/2013 01:39 PM CST
hi folks,

I've started hunting in Chagas. There are also Conjurers there which can lead to shock when I hit them.

Hummel thought there was some command to avoid hitting the Conjurers.

Does anyone know how to prevent hitting the live creatures?

~Nausi
Re: ways to avoid hitting live creatures 12/10/2013 03:09 PM CST
I asked about this a while ago, and no one had a clear answer The best I've found for my empath (in gargs/snowbeasts) is to always include 'garg' after any attack command. Every time I've been facing the wrong creature, this has kept me from getting shock. A few of the attack verbs don't work quite right this way. I think it was 'slam', and 'attack' when it was presumably trying to 'slam'. Hitting attack one or two more times caused it to cycle to a different attack verb.
Re: ways to avoid hitting live creatures 12/10/2013 09:54 PM CST
>>Nausikaa: Does anyone know how to prevent hitting the live creatures?

Unfortunately, some of the construct hunting areas are mixed with live creatures. (Segregating those hunting areas would be a great quality of life improvement for Empaths.) Fortunately, in gam chagas (at least in the rooms I use) I haven't had many conjurers show up.

Turning off "brawling mode" forces you to manually specify the target each time you attack. The description refers to "aggressive brawling maneuvers," but this might work for weapons as well.

In theory, it should be possible to write a script that will only attack creatures that are on a list of acceptable targets (constructs). The tricky part would be to make the script do something intelligent when you're facing a non-construct. (If there is a construct in the room, retreat and face that. If not, use shock-free tactical maneuvers until one arrives.)

You feel your Heart Link with a mug of zombie's revenge fade away.

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: ways to avoid hitting live creatures 12/10/2013 10:31 PM CST
I don't know how well it works in 3.0 or at that level, but I know I used to use innocence to make living things leave and constructs stay. But it has been forever since I dusted off my empath and tried combat.
Re: ways to avoid hitting live creatures 12/14/2013 01:43 PM CST
>The best I've found for my empath (in gargs/snowbeasts) is to always include 'garg' after any attack command.

This is the best there is for construct/non construct zones.
Re: ways to avoid hitting live creatures 04/23/2014 04:16 PM CDT
I use a rather simple "combo" script that is just a series of different attack and tactics commands, with things like hunt and a perc tossed in somewhere. I originally started doing this to save typing.

Since I found that over time forgetting to add the target was the biggest issue I had with the empath, I added in a check for an argument. Hunting gargoyles I'll run it with "gargoyle" as the arg. All of the attack commands have that added to them, and if I forget to put it, the script will exit out right away.
Re: ways to avoid hitting live creatures 04/24/2014 02:07 AM CDT
Redundancy in my script. First I have a variable yes/no if I'm fighting constructs, if no then it will not go to damaging sections. And in the harmful sections I specify the critter I'm fighting in targeting and attack moves in case it's something like granite gargoyles where there's non-constructs that come in.

I take my virgin non-shocked status rather seriously.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear