Tactics 03/03/2013 12:43 PM CST
Have there been any thought process into the boss system for normal hunting for Empaths? I am curious due to the fact that we're unable to harm living creatures. If these combo moves are (Almost) required to kill these critters in everyday hunting grounds, how are we going to be able to handle these critters from an Empath standpoint? It appears that this ability only utilizes combos that cause damage.

I was just curious as to how Empaths would be able to utilize this system in a world of live hunting(I know there are constructs but the living ladder is a billion times more flushed out right now) at this point.

Thanks.

Ps: Bringing this over from the Barbarian folder so that Empaths can be involved with the discussion as well if you don't peruse the Barbarian folder. (I deleted my post there)
Re: Tactics 03/03/2013 12:59 PM CST
Well, it isn't really intended for a single adventurer to be able to kill something at Champion or higher level alone. I recommend finding a group. Veteran level stuff you can likely take without the need of combos, they'll just take 4-5x as long as normal, versus 3-4x as long as normal.

Don't discount the possibility of construct bosses that you can damage, or some Guild-only tie-in for empaths here.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Tactics 03/03/2013 05:46 PM CST
Empath tactics vs boss creatures: Skip to 1:20ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf-2Imh6a54
Re: Tactics 03/04/2013 06:15 PM CST
Is there an intention to have Battle Empaths that don't want to go Shock Immune to have a function in this system by the time Boss Critters are released? It seems that the Empaths could be left in the dust for the moments when they could potentially have a real affect of the battle of a boss if they could have a tie-in that worked for these critters that didn't cause them to go into shock.

While boss critters that are construct is a nice idea it still leaves the vast majority of critters out of assistance beyond our few abilities that could be used.

I see that this system could be a lot more and really would like some saving grace from someone that we could actually partake in these battles without having to forgo our healing capabilities. I don't care about actually harming the critters but being able to assist along the debuffs with some sort of Empath maneuvers would be a nice addition.
Re: Tactics 03/04/2013 09:29 PM CST
Gheifort, by Shock Immune do you mean complete insensitivity? It takes quite a bit to reach the point of ESN 100. You can heal others right up through ESN 99 and you retain all abilities, albeit with increased dampening the greater your level of loss of empathic sensitivity. There is no reason we can't participate to the full extent except personal choice to avoid any degree of shock. Under the new mechanics shock sharing has also changed.

Asbhuan
Re: Tactics 03/04/2013 09:35 PM CST
Yes, I do mean complete insensitivity. Allowing us to debuff the mob in some way other than providing physically damaging attacks is something that is perfectly possible. Positional debuffs shouldn't require a damaging attack considering that's what two of the tactical maneuvers already do. There are Empaths out there that would rather not harm a single living thing. While I am not one of them, I do feel that its necessary to provide some kind of interaction in the system for these players as if I was this way I would still like to be able to provide some kind of benefit to the team other than my healing capabilities on the field of battle.
Re: Tactics 03/04/2013 09:45 PM CST
>>Gheifort, by Shock Immune do you mean complete insensitivity? It takes quite a bit to reach the point of ESN 100. You can heal others right up through ESN 99 and you retain all abilities, albeit with increased dampening the greater your level of loss of empathic sensitivity. There is no reason we can't participate to the full extent except personal choice to avoid any degree of shock. Under the new mechanics shock sharing has also changed.

It might still be nice to have an option that does not feature damaging maneuvers, so Empaths could be useful when hunting non-construct bosses with their awesome primary tactics skill (or for super-hardcore tactics training I guess?).
Re: Tactics 03/04/2013 10:37 PM CST
It would be nice to be able to get the new tactics experience without having to go into shock for it. :)
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 05:39 AM CST
As an empath, I'm 100 percent opposed to the idea of shock immunity just because it's a boss. You want to be a combat empath, great. I'm training mine for that purpose, but there's no way the lore of the guild will ever support doing harm to any living thing. If it's a construct, no problem, but a living, breathing, creature? I hope it never happens. It's part of the fun of playing the guild.

"Nope, I decided parry will remain completely and utterly useless. Try something else."
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 07:29 AM CST
>>As an empath, I'm 100 percent opposed to the idea of shock immunity just because it's a boss.

Don't worry, I don't think anyone is suggesting this. I believe when the OP mentioned "shock immune" they were talking about hitting complete insensitivity and not suggesting that Empaths simply not get shock if they're fighting a boss with normal damaging moves.

Melete
Our choicest plans
have fallen through,
our airiest castles
tumbled over,
because of lines
we neatly drew
and later neatly
stumbled over.
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 10:31 AM CST
I was suggesting that the tactics have another addition to it specifically for Empaths to do a non-damaging combo that would provide a debuff that would assist the group. Thus allowing Empaths that play their character to never harm a living thing to be able to help a group that is fighting a boss that is living. In no way is my intention for them to have a combo specific to doing damage to living things unless the Empath chooses to do so. That is the choice of the player and I would like to keep it that way.

I however would like to not have every time I want to assist with a living boss be a choice of shock time or not helping. I want to get in there and help shove the boss around and provide a positional debuff to the boss that will help bring him down. I want to be able to bob his brains out so he never hurts anyone else and is completely focused on me to the point of him falling down providing the group a quick advantage over him to help slay it. While these things are capable in the current system, I feel that being able to be part of the tactics system and do these things to the boss in a specific combo would add some flavor to fighting. I want to feel like I can be a viable person to bring other than the fact I can heal people. I want to be able to be by the side of my warrior friends while providing helpful assistance other than just tending their wounds.

I just want to be able to bring something to the group other than standing around casting Lethargy, and Paralysis (If these will even work to full effect on bosses). Something that will help progress the fight when I don't want to sit in Triage healing the deaders but instead out in the field helping my warriors companions continue through the threshold of their capable bodies to the point that they don't need to run and instead become a bloody mess. Why? Because this is something I feel would be desirable for me.

While I understand everyone wouldn't like this, it would be something I would definitely enjoy. One of the reasons I never hunt with people right now is that it feels like I don't do much other than stand around being the wound soaker. I can manipulate and maybe chase down things with my Guardian spirit that my group is hunting. Im not asking for anything out of the ordinary. We're within the tactics SOI and feel that we should get something to do against living breathing bosses that doesn't harm them but helps our group progress the fight. I just want to be able to do something in the new group hunting that is coming along.
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 10:44 AM CST
>As an empath, I'm 100 percent opposed to the idea of shock immunity just because it's a boss.

>Melete: Don't worry, I don't think anyone is suggesting this. I believe when the OP mentioned "shock immune" they were talking about hitting complete insensitivity and not suggesting that Empaths simply not get shock if they're fighting a boss with normal damaging moves.

And why I asked what Gheifort meant by Shock Immune. The way it was phrased I wasn't sure what Gheifort was after and probably read too much into the Shock Immune/complete insensitivity issue. The request is for more Tactics and non-shock methods, in addition to Paralysis, Lethargy, NB, GS, manipulation, circle, weave, shove, and non-shock inducing debil spells from other Guilds (assuming you have the magic skills and feat for it) besides the new combos analyzing. Just don't participate in the actual combo attack sequence and call out the next move(s) presuming the group action is live.

Asbhuan
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 07:28 PM CST
Aaahhh. This I like. If there were some sort of empath tactical combo that could help debuff a critter in a group setting.

"Nope, I decided parry will remain completely and utterly useless. Try something else."
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 11:27 PM CST
It'd be cooler if tactics combos could be expanded to include circle/weave/bob/shove.
Re: Tactics 03/05/2013 11:57 PM CST
>It'd be cooler if tactics combos could be expanded to include circle/weave/bob/shove.

This was the basic idea I was getting at. Perhaps there could be something else as well. I haven't tried to come up with any ideas for what else could be added but it could also be an expansion on manipulation where we can command our manipulated critters(Or even our GS) to do the damaging combos for us while we do/help with the debuffing.

Anyways, just ideas.
Re: Tactics 03/06/2013 06:26 PM CST
On the boss monsters like say, the Warden on the prison riot quest which is undead and will give you shock, you can do things like grapple it and circle it to throw it off balance while doing other things to debuff it. I recently chose to use ANALYZE and aggressive (damaging) brawling maneuvers during a run not really caring about the shock, and debuffed it to help my group. Also, I miss being able to lie or kneel down while grappled with an enemy, that used to be one of my favorite tricks (other than raise power).

It would be neat if you had BRAWL set to avoid aggressive moves though if there were some combos moves that could still expose weaknesses, though I doubt all the current options (like the stun) would be available. The balance one for example would still make sense to me.

Another possibility would be a sort of using analyze to point the weakness out to others, maybe make this PVE only since we do that more now (though I'm a big fan of leaving things PVP as well). Basically the Empath uses ANALYZE on a target, and then everyone can land blows on the target which fulfills the combo or make it so it points out how to do the combo to everyone. Not everyone has high tactics, though the debuffs are already applied to the target for everyone. Maybe have it do some sort of messaging to a group? This wouldn't have to be Empath exclusive either.

My idea was Melete is in a group and uses Analyze on Boss. The others see:

Melete uses her knowledge of tactics to expose a massive weakness in Boss's armor!
You think you can exploit the weakness by landing a kick and a punch.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg