Getting back into the field. 07/11/2012 06:20 PM CDT
So after being gone for 3+ years and having to learn about all the changes I'm having some problems deciding what armor and weapons to use in combat.

Right now I'm using some random fest light chain and light plate/leather accessories. I'm pretty sure this is not a good idea. A part of me wants to go full out heavy plate, but other then stealth based stuff is it really viable for an armor tert guild? I guess I'm worried that heavy plate will hurt evasion so much that's going to drastically increase my chances of getting one shot.

As for weapons I'm guessing it's not worth it to train anything that's going to be combined at this point. But should I be aiming for very light weapons or save up for more heavy hitting stuff?

I should probably point out that none of my combat skills are over 50 except for evasion which is somehow almost 60.

Oh and stats...

Strength : 20 Reflex : 16
Agility : 16 Charisma : 26
Discipline : 26 Wisdom : 26
Intelligence : 26 Stamina : 30 +

That's where I'm at right now. I'm guessing I should boost my reflex and agility up?

~Nexty
Re: Getting back into the field. 07/11/2012 06:49 PM CDT
My suggestion is to go with what you feel most comfortable in and have the most fun with.

Heavy Plate is absolutely viable for those of us who rather stand out and be an active member of a group -- it does take forever to get to evade, but if you take your shield, don't worry about evasion hindrance, you'll have issues with that if you're planning on healing in combat anyway.

Leather/stealth are completely accessible now with the release of constructs. I can't say too much about this since I abandoned leather/stealth 6+ years ago when I was getting too many stun hits to hands/eyes/etc while transitioning to being a solo hunter.

Once you get your mentals up high enough, it really doesn't matter if it's a tert skill, in my opinion.

Weapon choice is purely personal. I train halberd so I can do jousts since it's one of the few events Empaths have full access to without being sidelined as triage. If you're planning on combating constructs, I'd take the same recommendations as regular hunters: a slice weapon, a blunt weapon, a ranged weapon, brawling. Up to you if those are heavy or light versions.

If you're planning on being a battle Empath, definitely work on getting reflex/agility up unless you're planning on hiding behind a shield all of the time.

Player of: Lyathe and Saslisena
Re: Getting back into the field. 07/11/2012 07:43 PM CDT

>>Once you get your mentals up high enough, it really doesn't matter if it's a tert skill, in my opinion.

Learning rates I'm not worried about. My concern was more that by being armor tert we have a heavy penalty on armor hindrance. I guess what I'm trying to work out is does the increased chance to get hit due to evasion penalty out weigh the benefit of the damage absorption of HP.

I'm not really thinking about self healing in combat. If I was injured enough to want to I'd most likely just innocence the room and heal up that way
Re: Getting back into the field. 07/11/2012 09:20 PM CDT

"I'm not really thinking about self healing in combat. If I was injured enough to want to I'd most likely just innocence the room and heal up that way"

I'd plan on healing yourself during combat. In my experience, it's much easier to heal up as I need it and not send away the critters that are teaching me. Why send them away if you don't have to?
Re: Getting back into the field. 07/13/2012 02:55 AM CDT
I actually train both Leather and Heavy Plate. Would I do that same combo again given the options, probably not, but its what I have now and I'm not keen on starting anything new at this point. Were I to start over, I'd probably go with Leather and Chain. Once you get the hindrance down low enough, stealth is possible in chain. But to start you can go with leather body and chain on the limbs and head for decent learning (hand, eye and neck blows cause more stuns than just about any other area, so put the more protective armor on those parts). Now my personal motto is Shield, Shield and bit more Shield, although my evasion has passed it up again since I'm listening to so many target classes these days. But ideally keep shield, evasion and parry all on par with one another, though Evasion is bound to zoom out in front unless you listen to classes in parry and shield.

As far as weapons go, I agree with Lyathe for the most part with one caveat. If you plan on using constructs for your primary source of learning, stay away from weapons that do puncture damage since most constructs seem to be resistant to it in my experience. Blunts are a wonderful choice for constructs and I sincerely wish I had trained it back in the day.

Oh and if you are using a parry stick.... Learn To Brawl.

And yes, heal as you go, even if you just get the bleeders when they start. Arm and leg bleeders are not much of an issue (until the legs become broken and you fall over every time they bleed). Just about anything else other than the back is fairly risky. There is a risk in letting a back bleeder go, but its not as likely to take hits as other body parts in my experience.

Mordibar