Manipulate 12/30/2010 09:51 AM CST
So I've read a bunch of the posts here during the time I was gone - but if I missed this, sorry.

I'm wondering if there is a timeline in place to fix manipulate, so that it is both effective and useful to us empaths as both a crowd control method and a means of learning empathy. I admit my empathy training has nearly halted due to the change back 3 years ago. I think I've maybe gained 5 circles since then, because I hate the mindless (read: AFK)perceiving health stereotype of any empath running store to store perceiving health.

I know band-aids have been put in place (avengers), but I don't remember reading about when that gushing wound will be fixed. At 420+ empathy, and combats nearing expert level, if I manipulate 2 things at my combat level, my concentration will be tanked in a matter of minutes unless I plan effectively to manipulate something near death. Even then, my empathy goes to MAYBE 2/34, most typically 1/34.

Just thought I would ask. I would really like to circle without spending days "playing" this game by typing .phcross.

Thanks!
Raudhan, the Renegade
Re: Manipulate 12/30/2010 01:07 PM CST
>>I'm wondering if there is a timeline in place to fix manipulate, so that it is both effective and useful to us empaths as both a crowd control method and a means of learning empathy. I admit my empathy training has nearly halted due to the change back 3 years ago. I think I've maybe gained 5 circles since then, because I hate the mindless (read: AFK)perceiving health stereotype of any empath running store to store perceiving health.

I'm with you Raudhan. While healing is suppose to be the best way to learn empathy (which I totally agree with), the fact is there are more and more empaths out there now AND fewer and fewer wounds to be had.

Mordibar

>touch zombie
You gingerly touch an unctuous Rakash zombie. In your professional opinion, it isn't only merely dead, it's really most sincerely dead!
Re: Manipulate 12/30/2010 01:50 PM CST
>>I'm wondering if there is a timeline in place to fix manipulate, so that it is both effective and useful to us empaths as both a crowd control method and a means of learning empathy.

Getting manipulate into a usable form is definitely something I would like to see. The form this will take is not decided, however.

I have some ideas for various ways to learn Empathy better, but most of it is still in the proposal stage at this point, so it's not stuff I can discuss on the forums.

Many Empath systems could either use tweaking or rewriting, so there's a lot of work to do be done.

I am reading though, and noting people's annoyances and concerns.

I absolutely agree that the fact that Empathy is so hard to get, and is not so useful despite the large guild req for it, is a big problem that we will need to address going forward.

Melete
[Turmis] I'm about to shoot beards in the face
Re: Manipulate 12/30/2010 02:50 PM CST
<<Getting manipulate into a usable form is definitely something I would like to see. The form this will take is not decided, however.>>

Wasn't there a proposal approved before Reexa left staff for a massive Manipulate overhaul? Did that get scrapped?

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Manipulate 12/30/2010 02:53 PM CST
Thanks for the info, Melete! I don't mind hanging out and not learning much empathy, I just didn't know what the status of manipulate was currently. And I kind of view the high guild req kind of like the high scouting req for rangers, among other skills in other guilds. 200 ranks you've learned the most useful chunks, further learning kind of has diminishing returns, but makes sense for the guild. Hey, I can sense 4 rooms away, so that's always good if you are searching for someone. :-P
Re: Manipulate 12/30/2010 03:16 PM CST
>Many Empath systems could either use tweaking or rewriting, so there's a lot of work to do be done.

My annual reminder that the blood critters, given a little tweak (maybe not back up to the original uber-high learning rates, but better than where they are now) and a few more placed in each province, could make for a nice alternative to the perc health walks that we all loathe.

In my ideal world, I'd love to see (at least) 2 places in each province with appropriately themed worms, leeches, etc. 1 would be a lower level like red sand leeches/green blood worms and then a 2nd higher level that would mirror the type of critter you tend to find in the area. So in Zoluren, you might see a mid-level thicket tick, in M'Riss you'd see mosquitoes as big as a house. In all cases, they should remain either mixed in with creatures below level or could be given some natural deterants (muck on the ground, swimming, climbing, etc.). I would also not want to create any new 'maze' areas since there always seems to be that looping room, which then lends to the camp-out spot.

And, with the mechanics in place already from the green blood worms, these can now be integrated into existing areas without tormenting the people hunting there. If you're wearing armor, you don't get attached to, if you have your armor off, you are fair game. I would only ask they not be integrated into areas with creatures that have ranged or magical attacks...that could be so very bad, at least give the un-armored empath the chance to retreat! This would also be good for the hunters in the area, as more bodies = more creature spawns. Would also be good for empath healing in so far as with the empath in the area, probably doing a perc health once in awhile anyhow, they can move around and heal as needed if the hunters want to extend their trips.

I know that this isn't a true fix to the perc health walk situation, just moving it from the city to somewhere else. But I don't enjoy the city walks all the time either, and with zero risk of anything but a script check, it makes for some prime time to catch up on the boards. While some of that still will happen with the blood creatures, I'd at least like a way to take my 'mandatory' training out of the cities. I know I have mixed feelings when I'm in a shop buying something and an empath comes in, perc's health and goes...and I totally understand they need to do it! While we can't take that method of learning away until there are other viable means to train, it would be nice to spread out the empathy-zombies...:)

Kythryn
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain
Re: Manipulate 12/30/2010 04:17 PM CST
> I know I have mixed feelings when I'm in a shop buying something and an empath comes in, perc's health and goes...

What's funny is, I generally will hide when I enter so people don't get bothered by the closing eyes thing. I have decent amounts of hiding, so most people in Crossing don't see me. But more often than not, I will get a higher level person who does see me and thinks I'm AFK and points me out of hiding. I most often resort to saying "Rude" and smacking them, and continuing on my merry way...not the smartest, but amusing nonetheless. :-P
Re: Manipulate 12/30/2010 06:58 PM CST
>>Wasn't there a proposal approved before Reexa left staff for a massive Manipulate overhaul? Did that get scrapped?

As far as I know it is not scrapped, but I think it would be prudent to make sure that it still fits with the designers intentions for the game as a whole before going forward. A lot has changed since then (it has been about three years now) both among the staff and the big picture of the game.

Manipulate is definitely one of my top priorities, though. We need to get the shock rewrite done first, but it is near the top of my list of stuff to look at as soon as that is done.

Melete
[Turmis] I'm about to shoot beards in the face
Re: Manipulate 12/30/2010 07:43 PM CST
Thanks for the updates.