Illcram's Third Shock 08/03/2010 12:06 AM CDT
One day I would like to get shocked on purpose!

I remember my first shock was accidentally jabbing a hog by pressing the wrong macro button. That was probably in 2001 or 2002. Naturally I made sure that all hunting macros were set on a high shelf out of Illcram's reach after that.

The second one was soon after when I decided to fish off a ship to kill some time. Who knew? I didn't.

And now almost a decade later...

I decided to try constructs and gargoyles seem to be the safest choice for my first time (and my first time to engage in any weapon use in many years).

With Ranik's Maps on the screen, I set off to find them...

A telltale howl fills the air as a snowbeast bounds in from the southwest!

Naturally I hide. But then I see I can handle these guys.

Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with no weapon, you are certain that the snowbeast is well beneath your abilities.

So back to the map to see where I am when suddenly...

A loud stomping sound fills the air as a granite gargoyle comes clomping in.

I am now pretty sure I found the place.

Can this thing hurt me though? I check.

Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with no weapon, you are certain that the granite gargoyle is a relatively easy opponent.

Okay, cool.

You come out of hiding.

You sense that a granite gargoyle will not cause shock if you attack it.

You get a katar from inside your leather harness.
You move into a position to parry.

The granite gargoyle closes to melee range on you!

* With strength, a granite gargoyle pounds at you. You evade, jumping to one side.

The snowbeast begins to advance on you!

* With strength, a granite gargoyle slams down at you. You dodge, twisting to one side.

A granite gargoyle sweeps at you but misses.

A granite gargoyle sweeps and oversteps, stopping itself just short of hitting something!

The snowbeast closes to melee range on you!

A granite gargoyle sweeps at you but misses.

* Strongly, a snowbeast bites at you. You dodge, jumping to one side with little effort.

A granite gargoyle sweeps its claws at you, just missing!

Okay. This is fine. Let's see now... what were the command to attack something? Hmmmm.

Well I remember jab. Let's try that. Just make sure you don't hurt the snowbeast.

>jab snow

Moving well, you jab a katar at a snowbeast. A snowbeast fails to dodge. The katar lands a harmless strike to the snowbeast's right arm.

You collapse from an intense pain deep in your soul that has shattered the delicate balance of your empathic skills.

You go into heavy shock!

Whoops!

But it gets worse.

Guess what drunk-stunned-shocked empath forgot to put back on his armor after popping boxes?

A granite gargoyle swings one massive fist overhead and sweeps down at you, nailing your abdomen and grazing you lightly.

You are stunned!

* With strength, a snowbeast bites at you. You fail to dodge, receiving a glancing blow. The teeth lands a good strike to your abdomen.

* Attacking forcefully, a granite gargoyle bites at you. You attempt to dodge, avoiding most of the blow. The teeth lands a good strike to your chest.

[Lot's of tearing Illcram into little pieces take place.]

* Attacking forcefully, a snowbeast claws at you. You fail to dodge. The claw lands a light hit that shreds away skin and exposes the muscles of the abdomen.

You feel like you're dying!

* Attacking forcefully, a snowbeast claws at you. You attempt to dodge, moving directly into the blow. The claw lands a heavy strike that breaks the right femur and cleaves clean through the hamstring.

The snowbeast howls and ravages your body with its claws!

Your katar falls to the ground.

You no longer feel the beneficial effects of the Gift of Life spell.

*Illcram was just struck down!

- The shocked player of Shocked Illcram

Please rephrase that command.
Re: Illcram's Third Shock 08/03/2010 12:22 AM CDT
Ouch.. I've done that before. Hate when that happens. If you don't plan on being an avid construct hunter you can just to 'attack garg'. I'll be in that area in about an hour for some stuff. If you're still around I'll help you out.

Grixlek says, "Courage is dangerous, it leads to attempts at heroics..."
Vegas asks, "What like dating?"
Grixlek says, "Nothing that dangerous I believe, but still crazy stuff."
Re: Illcram's Third Shock 08/03/2010 02:21 AM CDT
First off, sorry you got the shock...drinking + jabbing = hunting license revoked I guess!

>jab snow

On this though, I thought that there was a safeguard in place that you had to type out the full name of something to attack it. I know I have 'attack gargoyle' or 'attack mage' on my macros anyhow.

Kythryn
Re: Illcram's Third Shock 08/03/2010 02:29 AM CDT
>>On this though, I thought that there was a safeguard in place that you had to type out the full name of something to attack it. I know I have 'attack gargoyle' or 'attack mage' on my macros anyhow.

Yeah, you can toggle the safeguard on or off by typing brawl. However, since he was fighting gargoyles he had it off. He just unfortunately jabbed a snowbeast while it was off.

Sorry, to see that. Hopefully one jab won't leave you in shock too long.
Re: Illcram's Third Shock 08/03/2010 06:43 AM CDT
>On this though, I thought that there was a safeguard in place that you had to type out the full name of something to attack it. I know I have 'attack gargoyle' or 'attack mage' on my macros anyhow.

The first safeguard is toggling into an offensive mode from the default by typing brawl. You are automatically in the safe mode when you join the Guild. When they switched brawling to not require you to toggle back and forth all Empaths were placed in the default mode and the brawling toggle was left for Empaths.

A second safeguard is typing just the action command without the creature name. Unfortunately, he added a non-construct creature name. The creature name can be shortened. Empath hunting is no different in that respect.

Asbhuan
Re: Illcram's Third Shock 08/03/2010 09:13 AM CDT
Shock has ended after 7-9 IG hours.

I had a dream that I went into shock for a fourth time defending myself against a construct that turned out to be Purehand in disguise!

- Illcram The Evil Empath

Re: Illcram's Third Shock 08/03/2010 10:14 AM CDT
I am sometimes covered in dirt. That mistake could be made.

~ Purehand

>collect coin
You manage to collect a pile of coin.
Roundtime: 30 sec.

... Jackpot.
Re: Illcram's Third Shock 08/03/2010 10:32 AM CDT
I'm a bit surprised it lasted that long for you.

Purehand in disguise, funny.

Reminds me of years ago when granite gargoyles were an invasion creature sitting at the south docks of the Haven ferry with a Barbarian named Gargon and 4 other PCs. Granite gargoyles invaded. Guess who died first.

Asbhuan
Re: Illcram's Third Shock 08/03/2010 11:33 AM CDT
I remember when reaper traps first came out and a barbarian friend named Reapster was always getting killed.

Its always those barbarians..

Grixlek says, "Courage is dangerous, it leads to attempts at heroics..."
Vegas asks, "What like dating?"
Grixlek says, "Nothing that dangerous I believe, but still crazy stuff."
Re: Illcram's Third Shock 08/03/2010 11:47 AM CDT
My first character was named Garaed, same as this account name. Gargoyles would invade Crossing from time to time and I'd always get lightning bolts and arrows to the face from people typing

>tar/aim gar

It was after the second such incident that I decided to reroll.

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula
Re: Illcram's Third Shock 08/03/2010 12:15 PM CDT
::chuckles:: Way back when I first started hunting gargs, there was this guy who would hunt in the lair named Gargantuan. I never attacked him, but I bet he got hit a lot!

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Illcram's Third Shock 08/03/2010 08:15 PM CDT
My first kill!

Moving with grace, you chop a katar at a granite gargoyle. A granite gargoyle attempts to dodge, mis-stepping and blundering into the blow. The katar lands a hard hit that cuts deeply into the gargoyle's groin.

A granite gargoyle grumbles and falls over with a THUD.

You strike a heroic pose.

- Illcram The Evil Empath

Re: Illcram's Third Shock 08/04/2010 03:34 AM CDT
People are always pawing...ok, touching...Kythryn in triage, first the j gweth, then the Kythryn. Easy to mistake her for a kyanite gweth I guess...

And of course, I have a lot of close moments with people who use kythe's...good times!

Not really the same as being attacked though, unless you consider an invasion on your personal space offensive!

Anyhow, glad your shock didn't last too long Illcram!

Kythryn
Re: Illcram's Third Shock 08/06/2010 03:00 AM CDT
bet Kythryn hated gweth smashers!

player of Frediwyn
Re: Illcram's Third Shock 08/06/2010 03:32 AM CDT
You know, she has never got hit with a gweth smasher...course now that it's out there, I'll end having it happen 10 times in a month. Jinxed!

Kythryn