Weapon Choices 10/24/2009 05:31 PM CDT
I'm having a hard time settling on weapons now that we can actually, you know, use them.

Right now I'm training brawling, ME, LT and HX.

But I admit I am tempted by things like halberds or blunt weapons. I don't want to go crazy though, since it's going to be hard to train anything up high enough to where I can hit a rock guardian with it, until more constructs roll out anyway.

Brawling and ME I chose because ME was my parry weapon and brawling was the only thing we could actively train until recently. (So not much of a choice, really.)

LT seems like it would be easy to train with throwing blades, but I'm not sure how well it will actually kill things.

HX I chose since it seems like it would have a lot of stopping power, which none of the other three do. If the shock rewrite ever rolls out I'd want a weapon that can really give a creature/person pause, and brawling/LT/ME don't really seem to fit the bill. I got a reduced load HX so it's not much worse than LX in that regard, but on the other hand, there are supposed to be some drawbacks to using HX with a shield introduced eventually.

So what are you training? And why?

-- Player of Szrael --
Re: Weapon Choices 10/24/2009 05:49 PM CDT
I had this exact discussion with Squiff last night. Unfortunately, he didn't really come to any real decisions yet. We did come up with a few considerations some of which you already pointed out, but here's the general thoughts we came up with:

-Offhand. If you're at all interested in using any future offhand maneuvers you'll need either LB or LE since that's all that weapon terts can wield offhand.

-Cover your bases with damage types. Make sure you can inflict blunt, slicing and piercing damage as well as include at least one melee and one ranged weapon.

-Your race might sway you one way or another for weapon choice based on stat modifiers to agility and strength. Dwarves would likely benefit more from using the heavier weapons, whereas a Gnome would be better suited to using the lighter ones.

<<LT seems like it would be easy to train with throwing blades, but I'm not sure how well it will actually kill things.

Easy to train is true, but not so much at low ranks when you can only throw a blade or two. Killing things is much of the same. Slow kills at low ranks, with improvement as you start to be able to throw more at once. Its still death by a thousand paper cuts, but you can eventually inflict 4 to 5 cuts at a time.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Weapon Choices 10/24/2009 06:00 PM CDT
As mentioned training offhand isn't a bad idea. It's not.. USEFUL at the moment, but it's easy. You can combo it with LT.

HX is generally... not that good I get the impression, but haven't used it in ages. I know it's generally considered very hard to train right now.

Of course I'm one to talk - Mozzik trains TM and token ME (And... very slightly brawling and LT), but my baby cleric has been testing out weapons with low ranks and I have to say the Khuj is AWESOME for halberds and even when he only had like 20 strength it was an impressive weapon and it's only gotten better.

Dartenian says, "The thing that makes Dragon Dance king is that it pretty much bonuses every single that can possibly be buffed for combat. Including at least two things that don't even exist."
Re: Weapon Choices 10/24/2009 09:13 PM CDT
Had dropped ranged/thrown because it was too painful before. Now I'm back to training all weapons. Really enjoy THB, HB, THE and HT. Blunts give some really nice internals.

The goal is Death Dealer without any ranks from lessons.
Re: Weapon Choices 10/25/2009 10:12 AM CDT
Halberd is a solid weapon choice. Not quite at the level of 2HE, but almost as good. The one perk is that pretty much every halberd is pole ranged, whereas the only 2HE that's pole ranged is the greatsword (heavy).
Re: Weapon Choices 10/26/2009 06:42 AM CDT
After trying out a variety of I finally decided on a swappable 2HE/2HB maul. Its kinda heavy at the moment, but I'm hoping with practice I'll grow into it. The damage I can inflict on boggles is AWESOME! Boggles beware!

SQUIFF
Not circling, SHIFTING!
Re: Weapon Choices 10/26/2009 06:23 PM CDT
I wouldn't suggest HX. Its Flavius' primary weapon, but I have gotten so I probably learn half of my HX ranks from classes, because learning it is sooooo much slower. And I am somewhat bored with the load time. The only plus is it combines with TM decently- prep/targ/load/aim/cast.

TM will do you more good in the long run.
Re: Weapon Choices 10/27/2009 05:01 PM CDT
I've always liked the idea of dual wielding personally. For weapon tert I think one of the best options (for me) would be ME and LE.

I like the uenleta from Muspar'i (This circular throwing blade has been balanced and sharpened to a fine edge, making it ideal for quick throws.) It's LE/LT. It's not a super weapon, but it usually helps get the job done.

If you're hunting something like rock guardians, I would lean more toward a sturdier weapon. The khuj, as others have pointed out, is an excellent weapon. Halberd is most definitely a viable main weapon choice, and it has the added benefit of having good style. The glaive's that you can have custom crafted in Rossgallan Keep also double as a QS. They're mediocre compared to the khuj, but the added benefit of also having a QS is nice.

A lot of the weapons in Leth Deriel are pretty nice as well. 2HB is also a nice choice if you you can handle the weight.

- Terra
Armor/Weapon Choices 03/05/2010 11:31 AM CST
Just curious what weapons and armor setups people went with. Working on a battle Empath and looking for feedback. Any tactics/tricks would also be appreciated.

Thanks

>>That being said... If you are going to damn yourself, you may as well do it all the way. -GM Abasha
Re: Armor/Weapon Choices 03/05/2010 12:05 PM CST
A few empaths I've known set up like tanks: Full plate and big shield. And they could heal in the field without worrying about getting hurt by critters much. But that was many many tweaks ago.

A couple of others rely more on evasion, and arm-worn shields are a boon so they won't be defenseless if they should loose an arm or leg while healing. I have one combat empath I am training that wears leather- but it's dyed so one can't really tell that it is leather. Others prefer to go with light chain.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Armor/Weapon Choices 03/05/2010 12:35 PM CST
Firecat leathers, eye-covering leather mask, gob skin glovs. Croc skin buckler. Broom.

Stealth + maneuverability + good protection + cleanliness. Train all defenses by switching up your stances.

If you're not hunting constructs changing your offense to 0% will free up 20 additional defense points for you to allocate.

Example defensive set-up (6 additional points are from circling):

You are now set to use your evasion stance:

Attack : 0%
Evade : 100%
Parry : 6%
Block : 100%

instead of a traditional set-up:

You are now set to use your custom stance:

Attack : 100%
Evade : 100%
Parry : 0%
Block : 86%

~ Purehand

After a long deliberation, the judge finally says, "Purehand, this court finds you innocent of the charges brought upon you."
Re: Armor/Weapon Choices 03/05/2010 12:55 PM CST
Any other HP/LP users out there?

>>That being said... If you are going to damn yourself, you may as well do it all the way. -GM Abasha
Re: Armor/Weapon Choices 03/05/2010 01:49 PM CST
<<Any other HP/LP users out there?

I know of at least two, wearing it for the exact same reasons Enots gave. The high armor stats of HP/LP help in letting you stay in the field longer just healing what dings you get along the way.

Quazzarz

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.
-Armifer

I don't think we ever take the training wheels off as players or gamemasters.
-Inauri
Re: Armor/Weapon Choices 03/05/2010 03:24 PM CST
<<<<Any other HP/LP users out there?>>

Yep, and I've also got some leather mixed in there to keep the hindrance down and because I was stupid enough to use leather exclusively for a few hundred ranks even though I don't use stealth. I'm definitely happy with the plate.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Armor/Weapon Choices 03/08/2010 09:32 PM CST
On Quazzarz I use HP chest, LP legs, and LC head/hands. Trained stamina to 99 and just tank everything. I've hunted from goblins to dilo's, and have only ever died once while hunting. It was an open roll to the head by celps, when I first moved there, I was over hunting.

~Quaz
Re: Armor/Weapon Choices 03/08/2010 09:42 PM CST
I forgot to mention that I also use SOP, agressive sance, and MAF. Plate + MAF is petty crazy. Eventually got to the point where I never really took any damage period. Even if I was hit.

~Quaz
Re: Armor/Weapon Choices 03/12/2010 12:46 PM CST
* Your post here *I use HP alot in the field, as I train every armor type. My lowest armors are cloth and bone (over 200), my metals are over 300 and my leathers are over 400. I typically use LC or HP when not hiding and stalking.

Player of Frediwyn
Re: Armor/Weapon Choices 03/19/2010 07:57 PM CDT
Evasion: 541 34.71% clear (0/34)
Shield Usage: 467 59% clear (0/34)
Leather Armor: 467 37% clear (0/34)
Parry Ability: 445 58% clear (0/34)
Multi Opponent: 466 25% clear (0/34)
Light Edged: 275 70% clear (0/34)
Medium Edged: 255 90% clear (0/34)
Heavy Edged: 117 65% clear (0/34)
Twohanded Edged: 119 12% clear (0/34)
Brawling: 495 24% clear (0/34)

All Blades I learned via parrying in celps. Though I wish I trained more armor then just leather. In hindsight chain or plate would have been a better choice.

And ya, AGS, SOP, MAF, Refresh, GOL up all the time.

I'm on a Motor-boat!!
Re: Armor/Weapon Choices 03/22/2010 12:36 AM CDT
My primary armor is light chain, but I also train heavy train. Light chain offers relatively high protection for its weight, and it doesn't completely prevent me from training stealth. I use a small shield that I can wear on my arm.

My primary weapon is brawling, simply because I started training long before constructs were released. Brawling is still an essential skill to maintain good balance and position while dancing.

Teilan: PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this.