temporarily back 05/08/2014 03:12 PM CDT
It's a been a long time, i stopped playing in the past due to lack of funds to play, the situation hasn't really changed, but i'll be in for a month maybe 2. Any useful info either here or ooc whispers will be appreciated, much has changed since i've last played, magic, more skill merging (they only just started doing that when i quit), i don't even know what outdoorsmanship does or what causes gain lol, and some of my spells i have no idea what they do, i think we only had strange arrow and ease burden if i remember right.

I tried talking to the guild leader but either that's changed or i've forgotten how, (it was annael when i last played, i've was given a summary of what happened by some kindly empaths in the hall, but a more detailed thing would be appreciated :) )
Re: temporarily back 05/08/2014 03:24 PM CDT
>i don't even know what outdoorsmanship does or what causes gain

Basically foraging by another name (the animal lore applications are few and obscure).

>some of my spells i have no idea what they do

Welcome to the confused club, at least I know what they DO, I just don't know what to cast to train any more.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: temporarily back 05/09/2014 07:45 AM CDT

If you're confused about spells, you can DISCERN [spell]. Elanthipedia also has a lot of information.
Re: temporarily back 05/10/2014 08:48 PM CDT
Welcome back! I recently returned as well and it was a nightmare trying to remember all I had forgotten while also learning everything new.

One thing that confused me greatly was that we are currently on spell preview - meaning you automatically know every spell available to your guild and spell slots will just sit until we go off spell preview when you have to choose them all with slots as you use to. You can type SPELL to see all that you know. The previously mentioned DISCERN is helpful, but it also tells me that I can't cast spells that I regularly cast so it's a bit wonky.

As for the Empath storyline, (and why Annael stepped down) there's a great right up on Elanthipedia:

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Shift_Debacle

-= Alesche =-
Mountain Elf - Historian - Free Empath of the Crystal Tower
Heavy RPer Looking for Connections!
AIM: DRAlesche
Re: temporarily back 05/10/2014 08:57 PM CDT
<<The previously mentioned DISCERN is helpful, but it also tells me that I can't cast spells that I regularly cast so it's a bit wonky.

Aside from there being a skill check to get more accurate results, DISCERN doesn't currently take into account primary magic skill (Life Magic in your case) so the numbers are lower. I believe a GM very recently said they'd take a look and see if they can get that updated to better reflect your actual effective skill. I'm not sure when that will happen, however.
Re: temporarily back 05/11/2014 12:15 AM CDT
thank you :) that helps a lot, although is it based on scholarship or something? some spells like heal that i can cast say that "you don't think you can cast it"
Re: temporarily back 05/11/2014 12:19 AM CDT
also, people still want shifted? i take it, that it has to be done even more privately now? (i can shift, so i'm very worried now)
Re: temporarily back 05/11/2014 01:13 AM CDT
<<thank you :) that helps a lot, although is it based on scholarship or something? some spells like heal that i can cast say that "you don't think you can cast it"

Arcana is the skill check. The more Arcana you have, the more accurate the number. I think if you have more Arcana than the skill required to cast the spell at your personal cap then it is as accurate as it will be. This part could be wrong, so don't quote me on that.

The reason why you can cast some spells even though DISCERN tells you that you can't is because it is not taking the bonus from Primary Magic into account. Taking your example of Heal, to cast the spell you need a certain number of ranks in Utility. Your actual Utility skill is modified based on your Life Magic skill, however, so you usually will need less than the spell requires. Since you can cast the spell this means that your Utility Magic + your Life Magic bonus is enough to cast it. DISCERN telling you that you can't means that if you were only using your Utility skill to cast it then you would not be able to, since it doesn't count the bonus from Life Magic.
Re: temporarily back 05/11/2014 01:35 AM CDT
People still want to be shifted, yes. My baby empath is looking for someone to shift her actually! *wink wink*

It's just an illegal activity now within Zoulren and Theren, so either shift outside of a city or in Shard. Ilithi has remained neutral in the conflict and become a bit of a haven for Empathic research.

-= Alesche =-
Mountain Elf - Historian - Free Empath of the Crystal Tower
Heavy RPer Looking for Connections!
AIM: DRAlesche
Re: temporarily back 05/11/2014 03:19 PM CDT
Illithi is the only guildhall/province that didn't go along with making shifting illegal. Fang Cove is also not a justice zone yet.

Asbhuan
Re: temporarily back 05/12/2014 12:19 AM CDT
>People still want to be shifted, yes. My baby empath is looking for someone to shift her actually! *wink wink*

come find me in the crossings, i'll be on more tomorrow, offer to show me around ;p we'll see what this old puff can do