Shannara 04/05/2007 12:40 AM CDT
Moved it here, I'm a big fan of the series having read all of them. For those who like the series, you might want to read the Word and Void series (Running with the Demon, A Knight of the Word, and Angel Fire East) as well as the series that the book Armageddon's Children as they seem to be leading to the events that changed the world to how it is in the Shannara series.

---Chantia SiTaros
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Re: Shannara 04/05/2007 07:29 AM CDT
love Terry Brooks' writing, just had a problem with how he could kill off pseudo-main characters with inpunity... which doesn't matter on the scale of which he writes, but comeon man... turning the girl into a tree and ruining true love was just a bit far
Re: Shannara 04/05/2007 07:40 AM CDT
<<turning the girl into a tree and ruining true love was just a bit far>>

Not sure what that's referring to and won't ask since I may yet read it on my own, but how very Greek of him!

GM Reexa

Re: Shannara 04/05/2007 09:51 AM CDT
you have a few books left to go before you get to that one Reexa. My advice is just to not get attached to anyone... easier said than done
Re: Shannara 04/05/2007 03:58 PM CDT
<<you have a few books left to go before you get to that one Reexa. My advice is just to not get attached to anyone... easier said than done>>

Might be a while before I get there at this rate, but that's a good rule of thumb for a lot of series.

GM Reexa

Re: Shannara 04/05/2007 04:04 PM CDT
>> Might be a while before I get there at this rate, but that's a good rule of thumb for a lot of series.

Harry Potter. :(

Rev. Reene

"Who provides the opportunity to cultivate patience? Not our friends. Our enemies give us the most crucial chances to grow."
- Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama
Re: Shannara 04/05/2007 04:43 PM CDT
I can't wait for the new Rowling novel: Harry Potter and the Truckload of Money.

System Announcement: As our gift to you, the players, items deposited in a trash receptacle will be placed into a random player's inventory. Please do not assist to thank us if you are suddenly overburdened with 400 globs of blocil pulp.
Re: Shannara 04/05/2007 05:04 PM CDT
<<Harry Potter. :(>>

I'm still in denial.

GM Reexa

Re: Shannara 04/05/2007 07:39 PM CDT
Terry Brooks is one of my favorite writers. Enjoy! I read Sword for the first time about 20 years ago, and have re-read it several times since.

And yes, the turning into a tree elven lass was sad. Took me a while to come to terms with that, being a true rose-colored-glasses wearer (which is the reason I refuse to watch Titanic).

Jubalee

"You can either complain that rose bushes have thorns - or rejoice that
thorn bushes have roses."

Unknown
Re: Shannara 04/05/2007 07:56 PM CDT
>For those who like the series, you might want to read the Word and Void series

I'll definitely pick them up, thanks for the suggestion Chantia.

What's up with Harry Potter? Never read any of them.

~Purehand

You doubt that you'll be able to alter another person's features for at least 564 more roisaen.
Re: Shannara 04/05/2007 08:30 PM CDT
>>What's up with Harry Potter? Never read any of them.

The latest scandal is that Albus Dumbledore (he's the crafty elderly Headmaster of Hogwarts keeping the evil magic at bay) dies in a Mace Windu-like (ie, snake eyes or open roll) way. Despite all his planning and knowledge of events happening around him, he still got ganked by a random spell at just the wrong moment (the spell was a paralysis spell, which hit just as he was leaning over a wall or something and thus his paralyzed self fell off the wall and broke his neck.)

This leaves the reluctant and not-very-skilled (or bright) hero, his girlfriend, and his best buddy/bumbling sidekick to face the most powerful wizard on the planet (who's xenophobically insane). If rumors and hints are to be believed, Harry kills himself or otherwise allows himself to be killed in the last book of the series (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, available July 21st) in order to destroy this wizard (they are magically linked together by a zee-shaped scar branded upon Harry when he was a baby, in a battle that left a giant smoking crater in the place where his parents died.)

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Shannara 04/05/2007 09:42 PM CDT
wow, if I hadn't already read the series I would despise you even more right now.

~Arwinia

You are Shrimpstar, a Prydaen Bard.
You have pointed ears and cat-slitted clear colored eyes. Your amber mane is short and thick, and is worn tousled. You have grey fur and a slender tail.
You look tired.

You are wearing nothing special.
Re: Shannara 04/05/2007 09:52 PM CDT
Heh, my wife and I just got done arguing about wether or not Albus actually died or not. Or if Snape double crossed and faked his death with help. Gonna be interesting to find out come July 21st I think.

~Dalkin~
Re: Shannara 04/05/2007 10:34 PM CDT
>><<Harry Potter. :(>>

I'm still in denial.

GM Reexa<<

give it up... it's less painful that way

>dismantle chest bunny
While bunnies are useful for a great many things, they do not as a general rule serve well as janitors.
Roundtime: 3 seconds.
Re: Shannara 04/05/2007 10:36 PM CDT
Snape + Dumbledore = Imperius Curse... least that's my take

>dismantle chest bunny
While bunnies are useful for a great many things, they do not as a general rule serve well as janitors.
Roundtime: 3 seconds.
Re: Shannara 04/05/2007 10:38 PM CDT
hmm...not sure about that one, since in the book he spoke the death curse. But its a good thought. One I hadn't thought of before.....heh, gonna make me rethink everything...gah....

~Dalkin~
Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 09:04 AM CDT
Is this the last book that we're talking about? I think I might start reading them.

~Purehand

You doubt that you'll be able to alter another person's features for at least 564 more roisaen.
Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 09:33 AM CDT
Except that that the summary left out Hermione somehow....

There has been lots of speculation as to why AD was killed, last I read, the only thing JKR said is that he won't be pulling a Gandalf.

-GM Obseden
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
"Anything's possible. Especially since I'm rewriting the system."
Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 09:42 AM CDT
You weirdos..

(goes back to reading his vampire: the masqeurade novels)

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)
Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 10:10 AM CDT
I got really into the Anne rice vampire series after reading one of the more recent ones, 'Blood and Gold', but didn't thinkt the writing in most of the others was nearly as good. These Masquerade ones are pretty good?

~Purehand

Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 10:14 AM CDT
<<Is this the last book that we're talking about? I think I might start reading them.

Yup the last one comes out in July. And despite the hype, they are all really good books. Many people that I know who have not read them, simply don't want to because everyone else has or they think they are only kids books.

My favorite aspect in the Harry Potter books is the mystery. Each novel is written so intricately that you are draw into what is happening to the character, trying to figure out what is going on along with them. Yet, Rowling is master of giving you just enough info to suck you in but hiding clues her clues so well that you don't really see them until after you know the big secret. Her books are one of the few novels that I've actually read more than once.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
DARTENIAN says, "I think we all need to get down and pray for bit-based experience."
>DARTENIAN clears his throat.
Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 11:01 AM CDT
<< I got really into the Anne rice vampire series after reading one of the more recent ones, 'Blood and Gold', but didn't thinkt the writing in most of the others was nearly as good. These Masquerade ones are pretty good?

I kinda stopped reading Anne Rice after Queen of the Damned, maybe I should pick these up again sometimes soon. I agree it was really the writing that turned me away in the end. Cool concepts, but too much for my fragile little mind.

I'm currently reading the second book in Laurell K. Hamilton's Anite Blake series after finishing Blkoodsucking Fiends and You Suck by Christopher Moore (more comedies than horror really). Kinda on a vampire kick for some reason, but it all started when I was reading Moore's books. Lots of good laughs. Guess I was looking for a contrast. But I may have to drop Hamilton's soon too. I really like the concept she's created but not how she writes it. guess I'll see by the end of this one.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
DARTENIAN says, "I think we all need to get down and pray for bit-based experience."
Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 12:19 PM CDT
<<I got really into the Anne rice vampire series after reading one of the more recent ones, 'Blood and Gold', but didn't thinkt the writing in most of the others was nearly as good. These Masquerade ones are pretty good?>>

I was so furious at the end of Interview with a Vampire that I chucked the book across the room and scarred the paint on the opposite wall. I haven't read Anne Rice since, though I have several of her books somewhere in my TBR pile.

GM Reexa

Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 01:09 PM CDT
Harry Potter... In 'The Half Blood Prince' Dumbeldore himself says 'There are far worse things then death' also there is a bit about Albus and Snape having an argument about something Snape is not wanting to do, Harry assumes it is about keeping a closer eye on Malfoy, and getting to the bottom of the poisons and cursed necklace, though I think it is about Albus making sure Snape does carry out his death.

Anne Rice... Loved her vampire series, but I really prefer her series on the Mayfair witches, The Witching Hour is the first in that line... I wish she would have done more with her Mummy characters, but now that she has (found religion) started her series about Jesus.... I doubt we get anymore of the occult from Anne.

Got Body Parts?
Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 01:36 PM CDT
That summary wasn't even accurate.

But since we're in spoilersville, it was the Avada Kedavra curse that killed Dumbledore, not the fall. He was dead before he hit the ground.

(more spoilers)

I think Dumbledore made Snape do it, honestly. Dumbledore has made it very clear throughout the series that he's not afraid of death, and he would be the sort of man to put his life over another's; keep in mind that if Snape had not killed Dumbledore, Snape would have died because of the Unbreakable Vow he made to Draco's mother to complete Draco's task for him should he fail.

Also look at what Snape says to Harry right after Dumbledore's death, while he's fleeing. He's not just jeering at Harry or trying to incense him, he's trying to tell him what he needs to do if he ever stands a chance at beating Voldemort. Just like in book five during Occlumency lessons.

(okay done now)

>> I got really into the Anne rice vampire series after reading one of the more recent ones, 'Blood and Gold', but didn't thinkt the writing in most of the others was nearly as good.

Blood and Gold was easily one of my favorites. Memnoch the Devil was also great, even though it was such a break from the usual style of the novels.

All in all I really enjoyed the Vampire Chronicles. I stopped reading at The Vampire Armand, though. Kept hearing bad things about the last books.

Rev. Reene

"Who provides the opportunity to cultivate patience? Not our friends. Our enemies give us the most crucial chances to grow."
Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 01:55 PM CDT
<<Renee's spoilers, explanations, and predictions

Couldn't agree with you more. Why is it so hard to convince others of this?

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 02:16 PM CDT
>> Why is it so hard to convince others of this?

It's really easy and satisfying to believe the absolute worst of a character like Snape, especially since the heroes of the story do too (and always have). Fits in with the pattern, though - Snape is suspected or gets blamed, Snape turns out to be a good guy in the end.

When in reality, he's probably going to end up being one of the biggest heroes and martyrs in the series - I mean, unlike Sirius or Dumbledore, he probably won't even be respected or admired even after he's dead. Assuming he's killed, of course... though I can't really see it ending any other way at this point.

Rev. Reene

Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 03:46 PM CDT
>>It's really easy and satisfying to believe the absolute worst of a character like Snape, especially since the heroes of the story do too (and always have). Fits in with the pattern, though - Snape is suspected or gets blamed, Snape turns out to be a good guy in the end.

Agree here.

My personal theory was that Dumbledore's black hand was indication that He Whose Name Shall Not Be Spoken had somehow planted a simulacra on Dumble. Considering they have to successfully 'destroy' all the simulacra to really kill him, Dumbledore had to die. Snape argued with it about Dumbledore, and then he found himself in a situation where NOT killing Dumbledore would basically expose him, so he decided to take the plunge.

<<Anne Rice

She used to write so well.

System Announcement: As our gift to you, the players, items deposited in a trash receptacle will be placed into a random player's inventory. Please do not assist to thank us if you are suddenly overburdened with 400 globs of blocil pulp.
Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 04:27 PM CDT
Heh, I think there are more that think this way about Snape then you think. We are just not the vocal crowd and of course the point about wanting 'true' heroes goes a long way too... took forever to get my wife to see Snape in a different light even though the hints are there through out the books.

Anne Rice... I always get lost in the meandering back stories and forget what it was that the main story was about.

I liked Eddings, his new series is really bad though. It seems like you are expected to know and like the characters as though they were the same from the first couple of series <sigh>

Me 'n the bard
Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 04:28 PM CDT
>>hmm...not sure about that one, since in the book he spoke the death curse. But its a good thought. One I hadn't thought of before.....heh, gonna make me rethink everything...gah....

They also taught Harry's class how to cast spells without speaking. And, in The Blood Prince, didn't Severus's notebook contain something about a Feign Death spell or potion? Not that anyone was seen to go through the effort, but it WAS in Severus's notebook and Severus WAS the potions teacher at Hogwart's--he very easily could have brewed it in secret (we never saw anyone working on the lycanthrope stuff Lupus was taking, either, nor the truth serum used on the Moody imposter).

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 07:28 PM CDT
(On Laurell K. Hamilton's books)

Be careful of the Anita Blake series. It's gotten to the point now that the rating has gotten more severe, but I'm also at the point where I can't stop reading it because I want to know how it turns out.

I have my own opinions on what Anita is (if you keep reading, you'll understand), but I'll keep them to myself for now, don't want to get too spoilery.

-GM Obseden
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
"Anything's possible. Especially since I'm rewriting the system."
Re: Shannara 04/06/2007 08:46 PM CDT
<<Be careful of the Anita Blake series. It's gotten to the point now that the rating has gotten more severe, but I'm also at the point where I can't stop reading it because I want to know how it turns out.

Is it bad that I kinda feel that way after just the first book? But I also agree with the second statement. The concept that Hamilton introduces a unique world where I just want to see what happens. So some scenes I end up skipping paragraphs. But I don't mind it.

Unlike with my audiobooks. I don't get much reading time (between DR and reading for school who does?!) so much of my 'reading' is actually listening to audiobooks. Good for long walks to parking lots and putzing around lab. But with a real book, you can skim over things quickly. The audiobook, you're blind as to how far you should go. So one is basically forced to listen straight through. I think I'll read Hamilton's books. Thanks for the heads up.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros and a few others

-At the cleric meeting-
Re: Shannara (Anita Blake series) 05/07/2007 02:33 PM CDT
Regarding the Anita Blake series...

I have read all of her books, and as they go along they get more and more risque, which would be ok if that didn't turn out to be THE theme of the book. Her writing seems to be getting more childish and the spelling errors are just atrocious, can't believe her proofreader (if she has one) lets them out to be published.

However, I'm completely torn about reading the next novel. I'm fairly sure it will be utter crap like Micah was, such a waste. But I still want to know what happens.

I haven't bought one from her since Obsidian Butterfly though...I just download the text files and put them on my PDA. Makes me feel a tad better.

Oh...if you like the concept in those books though try Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. I got hooked on the series on Sci Fi, then started reading the books. Extremely well done, really funny and interesting skewed reality.