No Shock Combat? 09/02/2016 10:21 AM CDT
Hello Forums!
I just began my life as an empath and am beginning to get acquainted with the systems but I am stuck on one point that, while I understand the lore (I think) I am stuck on the mechanics: shock and nonshock actions in combat.
Let me preface my specific questions by saying my wife is playing a Barbarian and I am simply getting tired of dodging and not being much other help to her in the field but want to play a shock-free empath for my own RP reasons.

* What spells do I have access to with shock free results?
* What tactical moves are shock free (I get bob, weave and such but...shove?)
* Do you have any specific tips for me to be a good support healer?
* Is there a warning for empaths prior to taking an action that will cause shock?

That is all I can think of at the moment. Again, I know that I CAN be an empath and hunt -the shock mechanics do not look that confusing- but I WANT to be shock free.
Re: No Shock Combat? 09/02/2016 10:37 AM CDT

>* What spells do I have access to with shock free results?

Lethargy, NB, Paralyze, GS, and you can also Manipulate.

>* What tactical moves are shock free (I get bob, weave and such but...shove?)

All of the Tactics commands other than SUPLEX I believe are shock free.

>* Do you have any specific tips for me to be a good support healer?

Heal the people in the room when they get wounded, redirecting the wounds to your arms, probably, and keep yourself healed. Later on you'll have more options (Hand of Hodierna).

>* Is there a warning for empaths prior to taking an action that will cause shock?

Not always.

>but I WANT to be shock free.

Empaths that don't want to shock themselves have great options for murdering stuff dead and for being support healers!
Re: No Shock Combat? 09/02/2016 10:40 AM CDT
Pretty much all of our spells do not cause shock except IZ, which you won't have to worry about for a very long time, if ever. You can freely engage constructs normally though and not get shocked, as well as undead if you have the absolution spell up. Outside of that, you will primarily be using tactics and spells like Lethargy/Paralysis to support.

All tactics move are shock free, including shove. I have seen shock warnings when preparing TM spells that will cause shock, but actual attack moves don't give a warning, so be careful.
Re: No Shock Combat? 09/02/2016 10:43 AM CDT
> All of the Tactics commands other than SUPLEX I believe are shock free.

I thought SUPLEX was that charged grappled brawling move isn't it?
Re: No Shock Combat? 09/02/2016 11:22 AM CDT

> Lethargy, NB, Paralyze, GS, and you can also Manipulate.

What can we grab from the ranger and AP spellbooks? I know burden works, but can we use curse of the wilds or dead fall?

> but I WANT to be shock free.

Have you looked into absolution? You can keep GS, stay shock free, and use the undead (not cursed) hunting ladder. Likewise, constructs are a good choice.
Re: No Shock Combat? 09/02/2016 11:41 AM CDT
<<I know burden works, but can we use curse of the wilds or dead fall?>>

Not sure about Deadfall, but Curse of the Wilds was fine before 3.2. I don't imagine that would have changed. It also didn't seem to do anything if you had already hit the target with Lethargy though, so they might actually produce the same effect. Or maybe it was just hard to notice a difference. I'm not sure if the 3.2 changes to CotW would have affected this apparent overlap or not.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: No Shock Combat? 09/02/2016 06:13 PM CDT
>>Pyrianaz17: What spells do I have access to with shock free results?

Any spell that causes damage will cause empathic shock if successful. The following spells (that you can permanently learn) have the potential to cause shock when used against living creatures or against the undead (without Absolution).
• Strange Arrow (Analogous Patterns: TM)
• Icutu Zaharenela (Life Force Manipulation: TM; requires empathic shock to learn and use)

You can use any attacks (including weapons and targeted magic) against constructs without experiencing empathic shock. This is because constructs are magically animated objects with no life force. The only downside of hunting constructs is that you can't manipulate them to train empathy, since they have no life force to manipulate. Additionally, few constructs are skinnable. (Skinning does not cause empathic shock, since the creature is already dead.)

Attacking the undead will still cause empathic shock unless the spell of Absolution is in effect. I highly recommend learning this spell, as it greatly expands your potential hunting options.

Empath hunting ladders: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_hunting_ladder

Note on Icutu Zaharenela: while you must have some empathic shock to learn and cast this spell, it doesn't cause additional shock when used against constructs. If you are using Absolution, Icutu Zaharenela does not cause additional shock when used against the undead.

All of the other spells we can learn permanently are shock-free:
• Empath spells: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Category:Empath_spells
• Analogous Patterns: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Category:Analogous_Patterns_spellbook

Note: If you are planning to use debilitation spells from other guilds, you should ask about those on a case-by-case basis, as some cause shock.

Spells That May Be Useful in Shock-free Combat
Burden (debilitation): debuffs strength
• *Strange Arrow* (TM): causes puncture/electrical damage (can be used shock-free against constructs and against the undead with Absolution)
Refresh (augmentation): improves fatigue
Lethargy (debilitation): debuffs agility and fatigue
Paralysis (TM): immobilizes
Lay Ward (warding): potency barrier against spells
Manifest Force (warding): ablative physical damage barrier
Iron Constitution (warding): reduces damage from serious hits
Gift of Life (augmentation): buffs stamina (and empathy)
Aggressive Stance (augmentation): buffs evasion and brawling
Innocence (utility): can be used for crowd control
Nissa's Binding (AoE debilitation): puts enemies to sleep
Vigor (augmentation): buffs agility and strength
Raise Power (utility): boosts ambient life mana
Absolution (utility): protects you from empathic shock when using damaging attacks against the undead
Aesandry Darlaeth (cyclic utility): buffs reflex and balance; recovers from immobilization
Regenerate (cyclic utility): periodically heals your wounds
Guardian Spirit (cyclic utility; trains TM): summons an alfar warrior to fight on your behalf
Perseverance of Peri'el (warding): ablative vitality barrier

Note: You can only use one cyclic spell at a time. I generally use Guardian Spirit, because it trains TM and increases my kill rate.

If you don't want to use Guardian Spirit, a particularly effective defensive combination is Regenerate + Perseverance of Peri'el + Iron Constitution.

How to Effectively Use Guardian Spirit

You can buff your warrior with Vigor and SUPPORT it to face creatures that are engaged with your warrior. Lastly, your warrior comes pre-equipped with a medium edged weapon, but you can COMMAND WARRIOR TO TAKE any single-handed edged weapon to improve its damage output. Some combat Empaths carry a special sword just for their warriors to use, though I would not recommend using something that you can't easily replace.

When your warrior arrives, make sure you send these commands (you only get TM experience if it's fighting, and it won't look for enemies to engage unless you tell it to behave aggressively).
• COMMAND WARRIOR TO BEHAVIOR AGGRESSIVE
• COMMAND WARRIOR TO STANCE OFFENSE

>>Pyrianaz17: What tactical moves are shock free (I get bob, weave and such but...shove?)

As JHALIASCLERIC mentioned, the "defebsive" and "tactical" maneuvers on this chart do not cause empathic shock: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Combat_maneuvers#Maneuver_Table

Defensive Maneuvers
• block
• dodge
• parry

Tactical Maneuvers
• bob
• circle
• grapple
• shove
• tackle
• weave

All other combat maneuvers will cause empathic shock when used successfully against the living (or undead without Absolution).

>>Pyrianaz17: Do you have any specific tips for me to be a good support healer?

Special care must be taken to avoid over-healing in combat. While you are transferring wounds from your patient, you or your patient may be injured by hostile creatures, increasing the risk of over-healing. (You end up with more wounds than you expected to have.) Additionally, keep in mind that being wounded penalizes defenses, so you will want to heal yourself as quickly as possible. (Regenerate works well in this application if you have the skill to use it.)

>>Pyrianaz17: Is there a warning for empaths prior to taking an action that will cause shock?

Generally not, though you will be told if something you did caused empathic shock. Empaths can use the BRAWL command to toggle brawling mode. Being "set to avoid aggressive brawling manuevers [sic]" will help prevent you from inadvertently using damaging brawling moves (such as SLAP, PUNCH, or KICK) against people while role-playing.

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Empath new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_new_player_guide

Empath hunting ladder: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_hunting_ladder
Re: No Shock Combat? 09/03/2016 01:30 PM CDT
Great!

Thank you all for your advice.
Re: No Shock Combat? 09/23/2016 11:52 AM CDT
Does Soul Sickness cause shock?

__
A swamp troll looks at you.
Re: No Shock Combat? 09/23/2016 04:12 PM CDT
You reach out with your senses and see radiant streams of vibrant blue and white Life mana flowing through the area.
You have fully prepared the Soul Sickness spell at one mana.
The spell feels distinctively offensive but will not cause shock.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

Melete
Nature, it seems, is the popular name
for milliards and milliards and milliards
of particles playing their infinite game
of billiards and billiards and billiards.
Re: No Shock Combat? 09/23/2016 07:53 PM CDT
Sweet.

__
A swamp troll looks at you.
Re: No Shock Combat? 09/25/2016 05:06 PM CDT
Anyone know if Huldah's Pall causes shock? Can't see anything in the description that indicates causing physical harm...

"Huldah's Pall is a trickster's spell. It sets up a lattice of magic around its hapless target that drains any attempt to channel mana into a spell pattern! This means that whomever is afflicted by Huldah's Pall will be unable to cast spells for a time, including those already prepared when you cast."

~Aislynn
Re: No Shock Combat? 09/25/2016 07:59 PM CDT
IMO it should cause shock if you cast it on another Empath, anyone else is fine. (But I have no clue to your answer)
Re: No Shock Combat? 09/25/2016 10:20 PM CDT
>Anyone know if Huldah's Pall causes shock?

Huldah's Pall does not cause shock. Kerenelle invoked it and cast it against both mobs and me. No shock.

Interestingly enough you can cast it upon yourself as well.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html