Newb Again 03/30/2015 08:35 PM CDT
Hi everyone,

My very first character, ages and ages ago (1997? 1998? I was around in the unlimited AOL days, then gone for a couple years when the web migration happened) was an Empath! I have fond memories of the fun and challenge of being in a late-night timezone (Pacific), and being one of only two or three empaths in the Crossing guild. Things would get hectic, limits were tested, wounds were being transferred all over the place. Sometimes patients died. Sometimes empaths fell! But the craziness of it was the enjoyable part.

I'm pretty sure those days are gone. But my question to you all who read and respond on the forums is this: Does being an Empath still ever bring this kind of challenge? The kind where it's not a skill ranks challenge, but more of a pay-attention challenge. Is there still a sense of community in the Empath guild?

I'm really considering rolling up an Empath, but I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions from people who have been around for a while and can compare the feeling of the "Good old days" and the current guild.
Re: Newb Again 03/30/2015 08:53 PM CDT
>>Missanya: Does being an Empath still ever bring this kind of challenge? The kind where it's not a skill ranks challenge, but more of a pay-attention challenge.

Yes, although there are now so many Empaths that it's rare to find yourself in a situation with more patients than you can handle. (This condition is most likely to exist during triage.)

Some of the high-level tools can be especially deadly if you are not keeping track of your wounds.

>>Missanya: Is there still a sense of community in the Empath guild?

Yes (at least among those of us who seriously play Empaths instead of just using them as healing mules for our alts).

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Newb Again 03/30/2015 08:58 PM CDT

> Sometimes patients died. Sometimes empaths fell! But the craziness of it was the enjoyable part.

Still happens. A lot. If you setup residence in one of the far away areas, make sure you have a K gweth. You'll be going all over the place as people ask for help.

> The kind where it's not a skill ranks challenge, but more of a pay-attention challenge.

I'd say this is less of an issue now with better healing spells and the ability to take partial wounds. As anything in any game, it can be scripted with the right tools. That said, I think empaths are in the best place they've been in for... well... ever. They have amazing spells, the ability to actually hunt now if they choose (it's still hard, but doable).

> I'm really considering rolling up an Empath, but I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions from people who have been around for a while and can compare the feeling of the "Good old days" and the current guild.

I haven't dusted off my prime empath in over a year, but it seems that the crossings are still the prime place for social. Empaths are still in demand , and battle empaths are always loved.
Re: Newb Again 03/31/2015 10:45 AM CDT

I've been pretty disappointed at how few Empaths bother with combat. The Crossing seems to be a place where a bunch of Empaths sit around knitting or practicing magic as they sort of fight over patients.
Re: Newb Again 04/12/2015 09:42 PM CDT
I think a large reason for that is our lack of a creature to hunt after origami, 50-100. You get tripped up right out the gates when you start, and it's super unfortunate that our worst gap is sooo early. Pretty much means you have to forsake efficient combat hunting, or wait until you're super high circle and come back with high stats/magics to try again.
Re: Newb Again 04/13/2015 07:11 AM CDT

You can't train Empathy while hunting constructs. You don't need to train weapons to hunt as an Empath.
Re: Newb Again 04/13/2015 09:29 AM CDT
Hunting without weapons in my opinion hardly qualifies as hunting at all. It's just running the same script people are running in front of the guild, but while standing in a combat, tossing out a manipulate every once in a while.
Re: Newb Again 04/13/2015 09:35 AM CDT
Then by all means, hunt with weapons, but holding back your progress training Empathy and training defenses, skinning, Debil/TM because you want to kill things with a weapon seems silly to me.

Hunting with a Warrior is pretty awesome to me. I agree there's less to do in combat when you're not swinging a sword, but the ability to progress up a critter ladder faster and effectively, while training Empathy, and not being limited to any kind of critter seems pretty important to me. Absolution is a tool that lets you train weapons easier, not a tool that lets you finally hunt.

Are you wondering what to do in combat? Tactics. Keep lethargy on the target you're facing. Support the warrior. Throw out Paralyze. Manipulate a new comer or two. Weapons are the largest skillset in game, but that doesn't mean they're the only way to hunt.
Re: Newb Again 04/14/2015 01:19 AM CDT
I do wish there were more mixed hunting grounds, with either both constructs and living creatures, or undead and living creatures. There's only a couple of those right now.

It's not very complicated to manipulate the living off of you, have your GS kill those, while you pummel the undead/constructs. (And it's a lot of fun.) Shame there aren't more areas that's possible right now. Maybe some day.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Newb Again 04/14/2015 01:58 AM CDT
>>Gamergirl151: I do wish there were more mixed hunting grounds, with either both constructs and living creatures, or undead and living creatures. There's only a couple of those right now.

I try to avoid hunting areas where the constructs or the undead mingle with the living. I want to avoid inadvertently shocking myself due to a script error.

But what I really hate are hunting areas of mixed skill levels. Either the harder creature kills you, or the easier creature isn't a sufficient challenge.

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Newb Again 04/14/2015 03:15 AM CDT
Eh, my scripts require me to specify the types of creatures I want to attack with weapons, and I've never had an issue. (ATTACK BOGGLE, not just ATTACK, etc) Not that I would care if I do shock myself. #MORO The shock form a couple attacks goes away fairly quickly.

We need more construct only areas to fill out the current ladder before that anyway, those should be a priority over mixed areas. It still would be neat to have an area with NPC necros that had living necro creatures and undead/constructs to slay, sort of like the chaga area. I can dream. I have a dream that one day Empaths will be able to train both empathy and weapons in the same hunting grounds.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Newb Again 04/18/2015 10:06 AM CDT
<<It still would be neat to have an area with NPC necros that had living necro creatures and undead/constructs to slay, sort of like the chaga area. I can dream.>>

Turns out you didn't have to wait very long. Some of the living Xala'shar are paired with undead ones. I haven't looked around the area too much yet, but I noticed that the living conjurers hang out with undead vanquishers.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor