Constructs 01/16/2011 09:04 AM CST
Anyone have a list of constructs? I've just started playing an empath and I'd really like her to start out strong in combat. She's just now second circle but a list or even a link to a list of constructs would be great! Thanks in advance.
Re: Constructs 01/16/2011 09:48 AM CST
Elanthipedia is a great resource:

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Category:Construct_Creatures
Re: Constructs 01/16/2011 10:25 AM CST
Thank you!
Re: Constructs 01/16/2011 10:56 AM CST
You might want to spend some time training defenses in rats before you try boggles.

"PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this." -- Teilan
Re: Constructs 01/16/2011 11:41 AM CST
Unfortunately, I gave up on the construct hunting ladder. I've got 300+ in defenses and went to boggles to train some weapons. This worked great and I capped about 5 weapons at around 50 ranks or so.

I then went to try my hand at gargoyles which is the next critter up. This was incredibly frustrating, even when using lethargy and paralysis because you need approximately 100 ranks or so to hit them?

I then when to clay mages, soldiers, and archers with my 300 ranks in defenses, and my 180 ranks in brawling and got absolutely shredded within minutes from clay fragments and other such things. While I certainly have the ability to heal myself as a 100+ circle empath, this is not what I'm looking for when it comes to being able to train any forms of weapons or brawling.

I was sorely disappointed in the entire construct hunting experience, and until the gaps get filled between critters, or some other changes occur, I'll just stick with my defensive training only.

Clerics are on the sectual radar.

Just to be clear - I didn't do it. Not sure who did, but it wasn't me.

- GM Raesh
Re: Constructs 01/16/2011 02:11 PM CST
>got absolutely shredded within minutes from clay fragments and other such things

When was this? I was in there not too long ago with ~150 in defenses, and the clay fragments didn't do much to me. My ~100 FA wasn't tending them well, but they didn't bleed.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Constructs 01/16/2011 02:19 PM CST
Main trick is to tend them soon as you get hit. If you let them sit they'll wiggle about till you have a gushing wound, and if you aren't paying attention, its easy to bleed out. Shield is a huge bonus in there but you'll still probably get hit now and then.

Mord

>touch zombie
You gingerly touch an unctuous Rakash zombie. In your professional opinion, it isn't only merely dead, it's really most sincerely dead!
Re: Constructs 01/16/2011 04:15 PM CST
>>When was this? <<

2 days ago. Evasion around 310, Shield around 290.

- GM Raesh
Re: Constructs 01/16/2011 05:26 PM CST
>2 days ago. Evasion around 310, Shield around 290.

Clay soldier fragments are buggy, stick to clay mages. Also I've found wearing at least light chain or heavier armor will cause often cause fragments to bounce off your armor instead of lodging.
Re: Constructs 01/16/2011 06:31 PM CST
My paladin, in heavy plate with a tower shield, can get tore up by some lucky fragments. That's when I was backtraining some weapons, my defenses should've held me against them no problem.

DRPrime - Celeres Turrance
DRPrime - NecroUnknown
Re: Constructs 01/16/2011 08:31 PM CST
That's strange. I usually hunt gargs with 50 in with medium edge and light thrown. They lock fairly quickly even with light and good hits and training brawling just under 100 goes fantastic.
Re: Constructs 01/17/2011 03:05 PM CST
>I was sorely disappointed in the entire construct hunting experience, and until the gaps get filled between critters, or some other changes occur, I'll just stick with my defensive training only.

What is your agility? Aside from the one or two ranks needed to hit boggles, I think the offensive construct ladder is pretty smooth. I was tending to ditch boggles for gargs once I hit 35-40 ranks depending on the weapon.

~ Purehand
Re: Constructs 01/17/2011 03:28 PM CST
>What is your agility? Aside from the one or two ranks needed to hit boggles, I think the offensive construct ladder is pretty smooth. I was tending to ditch boggles for gargs once I hit 35-40 ranks depending on the weapon.

Therein lies an issue. A lot of us that post like this are backtraining. If you're trying to go through it at level and particularly sub-30 in the relevant stats it is an issue.

In a potential matter of interest, a few weeks ago the boggle hard cap in Plat dropped from 57 to 46. So far I've found sling and staff sling to be exceptions in that they continue to train beyond 50.
Re: Constructs 01/17/2011 06:31 PM CST
Agility : 42

You are attacking with 100% of your offensive skill.

Yes, I could hit them, but no, it didn't train well, and with LX and HX, I missed 9 out of 10 times or more.

- GM Raesh
Re: Constructs 01/17/2011 09:43 PM CST
Not sure what the issue is. That should be plenty of agility. My agility was 50 when I was making that jump with all 22 weapons. I definitely had to aim with ranged for another few dozen ranks because of the snap shot penalty. I didn't kill quickly, but the grazing hits trained just fine.

~ Purehand

>collect coin
You manage to collect a pile of coin.
Roundtime: 30 sec.

... Jackpot.
Re: Constructs 01/18/2011 04:35 AM CST
Bleh, maybe I'll have to go back down and try it again. It was a whacky couple of days down there and then in the clay mage area getting shredded. Kudos to you, though. I definitely do NOT have the patience to train 22 weapons on constructs at tertiary rates... heh. Are you Death Dealer yet? That would be sweet...

- GM Raesh
Re: Constructs 01/18/2011 06:33 AM CST
I made it through, at level, from boggles to gargs, still in gargs currently. With weapons I've been able to start hitting gargs with 40 in medium edge and light thrown. Currently Str 21, Agility 21, Reflex 21 though I had sub-twenties when I started. I had to spend some time circling around rock trolls to make sure my defenses were high enough to not get completely shredded in gargs and that brought my brawling up to around 60 at the time I made the jump. It is definitely possible to progress at level up the ladder.

It's really difficult and frustrating to have to cap areas but we're not a combat guild. However, making the jump easier is getting an avenger to train skinning and pull boxes from the boggle and rock troll areas. It's a hard path.

Syllanthis
Re: Constructs 01/18/2011 08:33 AM CST
I guess I should amend my comments to - the offensive training ladder is pretty smooth. The offensive killing ladder isn't and defensive certainly isn't. I don't think I would have the patience for it if I wasn't backtraining, so kudos to you Syllanthis.

I would definitely give it another whack DGuthrie (I can't keep board names straight, I know I know your empath). Those grazing strikes do train, but you just don't get the satisfaction of killing them off quickly. If you go into rock guardians at 90-100 ranks, you can literally lock 4-5 weapons on them before you kill a single one. It's weird, but it works.

~ Purehand

>collect coin
You manage to collect a pile of coin.
Roundtime: 30 sec.

... Jackpot.
Re: Constructs 01/18/2011 06:15 PM CST
>> If you go into rock guardians at 90-100 ranks, you can literally lock 4-5 weapons on them before you kill a single one. It's weird, but it works.<<

This is good news. Might have to give that a shot in the future.

- GM Raesh