Young Empath PM 08/09/2010 02:10 AM CDT
Okay, I've recently started playing an empath again, and I was hoping someone could toss me a bit of quick advice on learning PM at low ranks. I've talked to quite a few people in game as to how to go about it, but I feel like most of them have been big for so long that they can't really understand my problem.

Now I should state that this is my first time actively attempting to train a magic user since the new experience system was put into place, so it may simply be my lack of familiarity with the rate of learning with the system, but I find PM and Harness to be painfully slow learning compared to any other skill... I can lock 34/34 just about any other skill with a few minutes of training, but it seems like to get PM/harness to 10/34 it takes nigh close to 30 minutes.

Now I've heard GoL is the godsend I'm waiting for, but at present, any attempts at casting it results in a complete failure of the spell soo...

I picked up SoP hoping it'd be a good gap bridger, but am finding that its teaching about the same as ease burden.

My method at present is to charge my Cambrith ring full with about 3 charges of 3, prep the spell and focus the ring, wait for full prep and then cast it... I've tried variations including one charge of cambrinth at 5, not waiting for full preps, and even prepping the spell, waiting 5 seconds, harnessing 3-4 (without cambrinth) and casting... nothing seems to be getting it moving at all, and I'm guessing its something I really don't understand about the best way to train PM/Harn that's the problem, not some sort of game mechanic...

I don't expect to lock PM/Harness in a few minutes like some other skills, but it'd be nice to see the numbers getting higher instead of checking the exp, going through 3 cast cycles, and checking again only to see its dropped from 8/34 to 6/34.

Many thanks for any advice someone has, and if the truth is for me to just look for PM classes and pray fervently until I can successfully cast GoL, then so be it, but if there's anything else I'd love to know what I'm missing.
Re: Young Empath PM 08/09/2010 02:21 AM CDT
I recently went through what you're going through. For my first dozen or so ranks I got them just by healing. After that I tried Refresh but found it very lacking. Sphere of Protection is very meh also. If you plan on going the combat route I suggest picking up Innocence. It will teach you very well and will grow with you for your first couple hundred ranks.

As to your cambrinth usage, remember that rings only hold up to four mana. It shouldn't take much skill to get up to filling it with ease. Once you hit 30 to 40 in arcana I suggest getting one of those cambrinth armbands from the fortress in gargs. Only two gold dokoras, and it will be very useful for a long while. It holds 32 mana. Good luck to you!

~Vynseth
Re: Young Empath PM 08/09/2010 08:53 AM CDT
Yah, charging a ring with 5-6 at this low rank still doesn't fully charge it, and my empath started with a ring and an armband along with a whole bunch of other stuff (its my 2nd character and my 1st has quite a few plat and nothing to do with them). So I recently started messing with the armband, maybe it will yield better results.

Not sure which direction I will take with my spells, but if Innocence is really going to make magics move a lot easier then I will definitely look into taking that route.
Re: Young Empath PM 08/09/2010 10:34 AM CDT
I use lethargy to train my magics in combat. I haven't found anything that moves magic as well as it does. Its a difficult spell to cast so don't go picking it too soon. Maybe a younger empath with the spell can chime in and share their magic skills or when they were first able to effectively cast it.

Grixlek says, "Courage is dangerous, it leads to attempts at heroics..."
Vegas asks, "What like dating?"
Grixlek says, "Nothing that dangerous I believe, but still crazy stuff."
Re: Young Empath PM 08/09/2010 10:39 AM CDT
I used Ease Burden for the first 200 ranks. Seemed to be fairly expedient.
Re: Young Empath PM 08/09/2010 12:54 PM CDT
hmm... care to share your training technique? Like I said, the problem may be my lack of knowledge on how to properly train the skill... On my moonie, Distant Gaze practically made it a joke, so perhaps its harder for an empath and I need to hone my training techniques a little better?

If it matters, at present:

37 pm, 42 harn, 18 int, 15 wis, 15 disc.

Did I outtrain my ments and make my pool to large?
Re: Young Empath PM 08/09/2010 01:25 PM CDT
Welp, I guess I could still take some overall advice on how to properly train, but as of this most recent Life Magic rank I am successfully casting GoL about 90% of the time with a minimum cast, and its moving LM quite effectively, so I guess my problem solved itself... sorry to clog the boards.
Re: Young Empath PM 08/09/2010 01:54 PM CDT
Magics are hard to train early on, the best method I found was this: Figure out what my max mana was that I could successfully cast a spell with. Prep with that amount of mana, wait for a full prep and cast. Rinse/repeat. I used SoP early on and it worked just fine that way.

Granted, this was when I was an infirmary empath so I didn't spend time in combat. Now I train magic in combat a lot. However, if you are just going to be sitting in the infirmary, this method worked well for me. (I'm only 50 now, so not so big. And it wasn't long ago that I was in your same position :D)
Re: Young Empath PM 08/09/2010 01:54 PM CDT
Don't forget the first 50 ranks of everything learns as if it were your primary skill set. Some things may be hard to lock, but they should be pulsing nicely.

Grixlek says, "Courage is dangerous, it leads to attempts at heroics..."
Vegas asks, "What like dating?"
Grixlek says, "Nothing that dangerous I believe, but still crazy stuff."
Re: Young Empath PM 08/09/2010 03:47 PM CDT
I have a youngish empath over on Plat-side. I didn't try charging my cam item until relatively recently.

For my first few ranks, I just healed up my own wounds, and used cambrinth for the extra oomph I needed for some of the more stubborn ones. If you don't have any wounds, you might try using Ease Burden; That's one of the 'free' AP spells.

Player of...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy