Shock 03/26/2008 05:36 AM CDT
I have been gone for several years, and am still trying to catch up on everything. However, I still have shock left over from before I left (left over after taking it from another empath)Anna won't talk to me either. Anyone know how long it takes for shock to wear off?

Do you know the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand whose in ruttin comand here.
Re: Shock 03/26/2008 10:38 AM CDT
It depends on how bad it is. Gromnir had shock that lasted for months even with empaths sharing it. Others last only 40 hours or so while logged in, if that long.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Shock 03/26/2008 10:40 AM CDT
It depends on the amount of Shock you currently have. For example, for a single attack action has never been less than 3 hours of IG time if I was shock-free at the time. When I shared shock a few weeks back it cut the other player's time in half so we were both under Shock for 1.5 hours.

I did back to back casts of EB and STRA and wound up with Shock lasting 12 hours IG.

Since I mostly play in Plat now I would be more than happy to bring in a Prime Empath I still have to share that shock so you can get back to enjoying being an Empath sooner.

Asbhuan in Plat
Re: Shock 03/26/2008 11:10 AM CDT
Welcome back. I'd be happy to share the shock too.

~Purehand

You feel that for the moment you've learned all you can about harming shopkeepers.
Shock 04/14/2008 10:16 PM CDT
I was wondering if anyone had tested the highest levels of shock, because I have a few questions regarding it.

Does the stun and vit/fatigue loss ever not happen? You're too shocked to actually... you know, feel it?

Also, do you lose access to healing spells eventually with shock?

I'm tempted to make an Empath who hunts like normal people, because having a Commoner just isn't insane enough for my tastes.
Re: Shock 04/14/2008 10:23 PM CDT
There is no vitality or fatigue loss that I noticed at any level. The stun never goes away. If anything it gets worse.

Right now shock is an on/off switch, so no, you don't lose access to your healing spells. You might in the future depending on where they go with the shock rewrite but I hope not.

Rev. Reene

You turn the gaharzen a few ways, trying to activate it. You hear an unsettling metallic click, and the gaharzen vibrates slightly in your hand.
The gaharzen pulses a moment then shatters in majestic beauty, sending slivers flying.
Re: Shock 04/15/2008 10:59 AM CDT
>I'm tempted to make an Empath who hunts like normal people, because having a Commoner just isn't insane enough for my tastes.

I've done that in Plat. The issues involved with Shock just get progressively worse under current mechs. There is no vit/fat hit. There is a nasty stun. Attacking as soon as possible results in longer and longer stun times and active Shock time. Hunting at level becomes increasingly more challenging.

Reene has mentioned her experiences from playing with Shock in the test instance. If memory serves correctly she said she had a 12 minute stun from killing another character. Other players have noted their experiences in the past. Are you planning on keeping the character and ever healing again?

Best guess from piecing together both Prime and Plat posts is that the re-write will involve a decline in our spell casting and abilities across the board as opposed to the all or nothing effect we have right now. Silver lining is that as we get more empathically insensitive the less we suffer and eventually have no shock stun. Downside is that we will be quite limited in what defines us as an Empath. Bear in mind these are just my understandings and not what may be coded or approved in the end.

Asbhuan in Plat
Re: Shock 04/15/2008 11:19 AM CDT
If I do this, I'm going all the way and never healing others again, but using my own magic to keep me alive. I'll probably get him to about 50th and then go down the killing route so I have enough TDPs floating around that I don't fall behind in stats.

If Shift's due for a rewrite, I may wait until after that to make my final decision.
Re: Shock 04/15/2008 04:22 PM CDT
>>Best guess from piecing together both Prime and Plat posts is that the re-write will involve a decline in our spell casting and abilities across the board as opposed to the all or nothing effect we have right now.

That's the general idea, but Obseden has been very careful to stress that none of the specific details regarding what gets lost and at what rate have been made public to players (and/or finalized among the GMs, but that's practically the same thing). Dunno what his perception of "shortly" is, but he's due to make an announcement within that timeframe that will better illuminate the details.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Shock 04/15/2008 05:29 PM CDT
Obseden is currently away for a bit due to moving so he won't be updating anything other than his mail forwarding for a little while.

GM Reexa

Re: Shock 04/15/2008 05:46 PM CDT
Thank you for the heads up, Reexa.

A lack of an immediate answer for the future just means I have no excuse to postpone my work and make a new character.
Another Shocking inquiry. 03/27/2009 02:31 PM CDT
Is there currently a way to gauge one's level of Empathic Shock?

Also: With a class and a compendium, I can get Empathy to Very Muddled if the wind is blowing in the right direction and the planets are in the proper alignment.

Is this as good as it gets for now?
Re: Another Shocking inquiry. 03/27/2009 02:59 PM CDT
no

yes

-- Player of Szrael --

\x'Empathic shock is a purely physical reaction with no moral or ethical component.\r
Re: Another Shocking inquiry. 03/27/2009 04:22 PM CDT
k.

thx.
Shocking Question! 07/04/2010 09:05 AM CDT
In June, 2008 my Empath achieved The Shock status.

It's been Shared, twice, yet is still very much alive.

Is this Normal?

I play him Regularly, because empaths are Awesome. However: Trying to learn Empathy is getting to be a bit Tiresome...

Also: This was a Full Shock situation.

<expletive!>
Re: Shocking Question! 07/04/2010 12:49 PM CDT
>>Also: This was a Full Shock situation.

Well, each shock situation is a unique and beautiful snowflake. It would help to know exactly what the character did to receive the shock.

It is, however, very possible for shock to last real life years.

It's also important to remember that shock only drains while logged in. A little shock can last a long time if you only play the character a bit here and there.

Melete
Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Re: Shocking Question! 07/04/2010 04:10 PM CDT
He murdered someone. Twice.

The second time he wasn't even supposed to be able to summon a GS for assistance. It came anyway, because his Cause was righteous. (Also: that bug was smooshed Immediately)

<expletive!>
Re: Shocking Question! 07/04/2010 04:19 PM CDT
There were some other posts recently about shock duration and murder. It seems the maximum duration is real life years (plural) spent logged into the game before you'll be rid of it. The duration seems overly excessive to me for a penalty in a game, but its supposed to be the biggest "no no" there is for empaths.
Re: Shocking Question! 07/04/2010 04:26 PM CDT
"The duration seems overly excessive to me for a penalty in a game, but its supposed to be the biggest "no no" there is for empaths."

It does seem a Touch overzealous.

Things, however, tend to Happen. "So it goes."

<expletive!>
Re: Shocking Question! 07/04/2010 04:31 PM CDT
You might want to start reading this thread...

https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=23&topic=3&message=11242

(in particular: https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=23&topic=3&page=4 )

On the upside, Shock is slated for a rewrite! Even if it doesn't happen soon, you probably won't be able to clear the shock before then, anyway.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Shocking Question! 07/04/2010 04:48 PM CDT
"You might want to start reading this thread..."

Indeed.

My Empath has been Inactive for 6-7 of the 25 months he's had The Shock. I usually leave him logged-on, in a safe place, when I'm Away. There's at least a few hundred hours in my Pocket.

(Pessimism: activated) I suspect It'll die off on it's own before the new system is Released.

(Optimism: Bubbling) It'd be Lovely if the new release included a way to Check one's shock level.

<expletive!>
Re: Shocking Question! 07/04/2010 04:53 PM CDT
Uh, that should read "in particular:...

https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=23&topic=3&message=11285

...because yes that makes more sense than a forum page link. Whee.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Shocking Question! 07/06/2010 11:52 AM CDT
Actually I was mistaken in that post. The penalty truly is RL years. This was later confirmed by a GM and I believe I stated it in my final post of the thread.

Grixlek says, "Courage is dangerous, it leads to attempts at heroics..."
Vegas asks, "What like dating?"
Grixlek says, "Nothing that dangerous I believe, but still crazy stuff."
Re: Shocking Question! 07/06/2010 01:13 PM CDT
>The penalty truly is RL years.

It was 2 RL years worth of IG time. It's been GM confirmed more than once in the last couple years. It was meant to be very harsh when it was put in place.

Asbhuan
Re: Shocking Question! 07/06/2010 04:07 PM CDT
Oooooooooooops!

You may want to see if you can get more empaths to Share with you. If you find Doryaa logged in- admittedly a rare occurrence- She has taken shock before, when she agreed with reasoning behind the shock-causing action.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Shocking Question! 07/06/2010 05:41 PM CDT
I will share shock for 103 platinum lirums.

I will do something to cause myself shock for the same amount.

- Illcram The Evil Empath

Please rephrase that command.
Re: Shocking Question! 07/06/2010 07:00 PM CDT
On the topic of sharing Shock...

Can a shocked empath take someone elses shock onto themselves and is it possible for an empath to take shock multiple times from a person?

~Tieriana~
Re: Shocking Question! 07/06/2010 07:37 PM CDT
I tried that once, Tieriana. It doesn't seem to work, since the empath taking the shock is no longer able to establish the link.

Re: Shocking Question! 07/07/2010 06:53 AM CDT
>Can a shocked empath take someone elses shock onto themselves and is it possible for an empath to take shock multiple times from a person?

As stated by Enots the answer to the first part is no.

As to the second part, you can take more shock once yours from the previous sharing is gone.

As a sidenote reminder, sharing shock does not give you a shock scar and there are no lingering traces.

Asbhuan

Re: Shocking Question! 07/10/2010 08:23 AM CDT
What circle do you have to be to share shock? I have a few low level empaths lying around and would be willing to use at least 1 to share your shock.
Re: Shocking Question! 07/10/2010 09:32 AM CDT
>What circle do you have to be to share shock?

10th

Asbhuan
Re: Shocking Question! 07/10/2010 10:45 AM CDT
One of my empaths is 8th I believe, I can get him to 10th in no time. IM me at BinuDR sometime and I'll try to help you out with that shock.
Re: Shocking Question! 07/10/2010 02:09 PM CDT
Yazegi will also help with your shock. Where might you be found and who should I look for?

Re: Shocking Question! 07/13/2010 04:56 PM CDT
Pretty sure the penalty for double murder is life. Maybe you can get a book deal out of it.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Shocking Question! 07/13/2010 05:21 PM CDT
There is a cap for how much shock you can receive as an empath. Here's a bit from my notes.

Lyneya says, "I cannot reduce your shock timer."
Lyneya says, "But if it makes you feel any better, you have the maximum shock allowed by the system mechanics."
Lyneya says, "So.. when you do it, you do it right, apparently."

Not many of us meet that cap due to how substantial the penalty is for doing such. I tried bribery and posting that I needed help, but due to the significant amount of time you're facing shocked, sadly, it will make little difference. The cap for sharing someone's shock is 48 hours. Two days per time shared is reduced from your overall duration. It has also been confirmed that the penalty for maximum shock IS real life years.

Lyneya says, "And you say that I've confirmed that there are different levels of scar left behind."
Lyneya says, "And you can also say that your estimates of how long you were actually shocked were grossly conservative. But I'm not telling you how long you would have been stuck with it."
You say, "Ouch."
Lyneya says, "But we're talking.. RL years."
You say, "That is.. extreme."
Lyneya nods at you, obviously agreeing with your views.
Lyneya says, "It is. Empaths arent supposed to kill living things."

Re: Shocking Question! 07/13/2010 10:36 PM CDT
does anyone understand the levels of scars part?

most of the time when an empath touches an empath that has a shock scar they show signs of disgust. when my empath gets touched they draw back in fear. she has had shock 4 times ( last night was the 4th... i will remember to type out what i am aiming at a little better) and had taint from casting HL on one of Lyra's minion things, but i am not sure why the scar looks different.
Re: Shocking Question! 07/14/2010 06:25 AM CDT
The "look" (messaging) of the scar is different depending on the severity of the action(s) you took that produced the shock. Killing is considered the worst thing an Empath can do. In the normal course of play (discounting the Lyras event) it's my understanding that produces the worst scar. It's resultant shock scar is different than someone whose action(s) caused a lesser degree of damage.

Asbhuan/Plat
Re: Shocking Question! 07/14/2010 09:42 AM CDT
When an empath creates a diagnostic link with another they can also see empathic shock scars which are traces left behind after an empath has gotten empathic shock from ways other than sharing it.

The severity of the empathic shock scar depends on the severity of the shock. I don't have my notes on this computer so I can't post them. There is a link earlier in this thread to my old thread that will give some detail. Too tired to get it myself. Back to bed!