A good Idea from GS3.. 03/22/2003 11:08 PM CST
Alright I was bored late at night, and I was looking through the boards and came to the GS3 homepage, and I saw, to my surprise, this put up as a schedualed event:

Empath Etiquette Class 3/23/2003
GS3-STANDARD: This information is of interest to GemStone III Standard players.
Time: 2:00 PM Elven

General Info: Tired of being called a vulture? Confused as to why that giant took off your head after you healed him? Or just wanting to be up to date on the latest in empathic courtesy? Come join the Sovyn Advisors as they guide you through the intricacies of empathic etiquette.

Can I just say wow...what a awsome freaking idea. That has got to be, the best idea, I've seen in a while. I think we seriously need to think about having one of those Classes in DR. It couldn't hurt a few of us. :)~

~Villya

"Choose not a Life of Imitation..."-Red Hot Chili Peppers
Re: A good Idea from GS3.. 03/23/2003 12:39 AM CST
I believe the Mentor's host something like this periodically. Regardless, I wouldn't count on it being a guild-wide success. Experienced Empaths offering advice is often taken as being pushy or preachy and seen as "telling someone how to roleplay their Empath."

Empaths have taken their independence to an extreme, even doing the opposite of what someone else suggests just to prove they can.

And then there is the whole dilemma deciding just what constitutes proper Empath etiquette. Claim you know and Empaths will line up around the block to prove you wrong.

You want a class on Empath Etiquette -- well, what would you teach?

~Maddie

I shift for free!**

To see how beautiful (or butt ugly) I can make you on the outside go here: http://www.coalition.fairmount.nu

**Offer applies only to one-legged bald Elves on days of the week that don't end in the letter 'u'.
Re: A good Idea from GS3.. 03/23/2003 06:35 AM CST
>>Empaths have taken their independence to an extreme, even doing the opposite of what someone else suggests just to prove they can.<<

Point taken, but even I, who values her independence, and loves to push buttons, follow some simple healing manners. There are basics we try go by, but lately, especially in the Crossing guild with newer Empaths I'm seeing this isn't happening. Its Kinda sad.

>>Experienced Empaths offering advice is often taken as being pushy or preachy and seen as "telling someone how to roleplay their Empath."<<

I dunno, I haven't met a novice yet who as seen me as that. And I have no patience for them and fly off the handle :)~. Usually by the time their 10th circle or so, they just don't wanna hear anything anymore.

>>Claim you know and Empaths will line up around the block to prove you wrong.<<

Alright, I can see that about RPG suggestions to Empaths cause heck, even I'd be in that line. But I'm talking like, if you reach out to heal someone and you start, and then all of a sudden, a younger Empath just jumps in and starts healing your patient. And then they get half the tip, and when you confront them about it, their like "Oh I didn't see you" or "oh I didn't know". (If you can't tell this is a sore spot for me, I've had this happen WAY too many times). I know it wouldn't be a guild-wide success, but I thought it was a good idea for dealing with some novices who claim "they don't know".

~Villya

"Choose not a Life of Imitation..."-Red Hot Chili Peppers
Re: A good Idea from GS3.. 03/23/2003 07:04 AM CST
Healing in GS3 is entirely different than healing in DR. The problem in GS3 is that someone can walk into their Town Green, say "Can an Empath heal me?" and seriously have half a dozen Empaths meditating over them and be healed within seconds. Sometimes they don't even have to ask. Empathic transfer in GS3 is instantaneous as opposed to us having to touch and then wait for the wounds to come over. This honestly leads to patients in GS3 having to tip or thank 12 different people, most of which probably won't remember the patient's name in two seconds.

There are, of course, some nearly universally agreed upon rules of etiquette in DR, but, as Maddie says, not everyone follows them, and some poeple don't follow them just to be a pain. However, for the most part, Empathic etiquette in Dragonrealms is by no means as big of a problem as it is in Gemstone 3. I could go into more detail as to why this is, but I think I hit the biggest point and the rest wouldn't be as significant.

Shaunn
Re: A good Idea from GS3.. 03/23/2003 02:18 PM CST
<<Point taken, but even I, who values her independence, and loves to push buttons, follow some simple healing manners.>>

<<But I'm talking like, if you reach out to heal someone and you start, and then all of a sudden, a younger Empath just jumps in and starts healing your patient.>>

Simple healing manners? Oh, I see. By manners you mean something like 'get your greedy claws off MY patient you stupid little novice'?

This sounds like a personal problem to me.

~Maddie

Friends don't let friends get dimples!

Find your perfect shift at http://www.coalition.fairmount.nu
Re: A good Idea from GS3.. 03/23/2003 04:16 PM CST
>>Oh, I see. By manners you mean something like 'get your greedy claws off MY patient you stupid little novice'?<<

Maddie I think you should be teaching the healing Manners...you rock. :)~
No its not a personal problem..I think I just forgot how to deal with novices since I haven't been at the Crossing guild in a while. Thank the gods for the leech pits.

~Villya

"Choose not a Life of Imitation"-Red Hot Chili Peppers
Re: A good Idea from GS3.. 03/23/2003 08:58 PM CST
I remember going to something sort of like this as a novice - about 2 years ago. It was more from the point of view of the "healee" - the person getting healed. I found it very helpful, being that I really had no idea what standard healing etiquitte was. I think those people that choose not to follow mainstream practices, whether it's because they disaggree or they're just trying to be a pain - are for the most part not novices. I think a session like this would be great for both empath and non-empath young 'uns, just so they have an idea where to start from.