Empaths training Hiding and Stalking 01/12/2008 12:57 PM CST
Never thought this would be an issue - but alas it is. I posted in the empath folder because I believe this to be a problem mainly for empaths.

Dancing with scavenger trolls - which teach me combats and I'm nearing 200 skill level. I successfully hide on them, get to melee, and unhide. Not all the time, but I do at times. What is my skill gain for that?

Hiding: 175 54% thoughtful Stalking: 152 64.31% thoughtful

That is after several successful attempts.

With the old system, I was able to lock hiding and muddle/perplex stalking by this same method of retreat, engage, hide.

Now - I get thoughtful - and that's about as far as I can go. Empaths can't stalk repeatedly. So exactly what are we supposed to do at these levels to train these skills - besides leaving combat to stealthily engage our guardian spirits?

I love the change to GS - don't get me wrong. What I don't love is that this change was put in almost as a the cost of making stealth untrainable in a combat setting.

I r sad.

Renegade Empath Raudhan just arrived.

A cutthroat gasps, "I can't get UP!"

A shadoweaver breathlessly whispers, "Raudhan, come dance with me!"
Re: Empaths training Hiding and Stalking 01/12/2008 02:54 PM CST
>So exactly what are we supposed to do at these levels to train these skills

Because of a change made awile back you can learn both hiding and stalking while stealing from shops. I nearly lock both skills when I do any of my stealing runs in Crossing, Ratha, or Hib. Stealing might not be yer bag, but it's an option for training.

::Legendary Empath Mingold Ravenflock, Defender of Forfedhdar::

"Midway along the journey of our life
I woke to find myself in a dark wood,
For I had wandered from the straight path." ::Dante::
Re: Empaths training Hiding and Stalking 01/12/2008 03:46 PM CST
> I nearly lock both skills when I do any of my stealing runs in Crossing, Ratha, or Hib. Stealing might not be yer bag, but it's an option for training.

Yeah, I do stealing runs quite a bit. Only issue is - with the span of runs being 1 hour or so, it strongly inhibits keeping the skills locked while waiting for the next stealing run. I liked the fact that I was able to keep stealths locked while in combat - and now I can't do that and it's very frustrating.

Renegade Empath Raudhan just arrived.

A cutthroat gasps, "I can't get UP!"

A shadoweaver breathlessly whispers, "Raudhan, come dance with me!"
Re: Empaths training Hiding and Stalking 01/13/2008 03:25 PM CST
DISPHORIA, the trick is to ambush. Oh, sorry...
Re: Empaths training Hiding and Stalking 01/14/2008 08:40 AM CST
Hey Raud,

I just retreat and engage for stalking now. Over and over. If there is a timer it's short. Learning from engaging was turned off when they made the changes, but Z turned it back on recently. I can lock on one critter generally, but it can take a few minutes. Completely pointless way to learn, but that's all I have figured out.

~Purehand

You feel that for the moment you've learned all you can about harming shopkeepers.