Empaths and overhealing 10/02/2008 04:23 PM CDT
With so many invasions and the past few weeks, I've seen way too many empaths overheal. It's a good thing that these empaths learn how to heal deadly wounds in a timely manner but when they overheal, it slows down triage because they need to be healed then raised.

If you die overhealing, get your memories and a ward and depart. Otherwise you're just wasting everyone's time because of your own mistake.
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/02/2008 04:47 PM CDT
>>If you die overhealing, get your memories and a ward and depart. Otherwise you're just wasting everyone's time because of your own mistake.

So Empaths who die in the line of duty, attempting to help defend their homes, are less entitled to triage help than warriors who do the same?

What about people who can't help out in the invasion, and just died because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time? Their mistake right? So we should just catapult such people over the city walls onto the invading force so that they can really help defend the city.

I generally laud people who get memories and depart with a ward, but stating that empaths who overheal are not worthy of help leaves a sour taste in my mouth. An Empath's contribution in a time of war is just as worthy as a warrior's contribution, and overhealing is just a risk any triage Empath takes, and happens to almost everyone eventually, no matter how careful. Just as skilled fighters often die in invasions, no matter how skilled they are.

While it is often quickest for an Empath who is very wounded to depart with a ward, the same can be said of most of the dead who come into triage -- Empaths shouldn't be made to depart any more than fighters or bystanders should be.
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/02/2008 05:37 PM CDT
Well said Lorz.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/02/2008 05:42 PM CDT
Overhealing is not a noble praiseworthy sacrifice on the part of the Empath, it's stupidity and/or carelessness and it's wrong to expect others to have to clean up after it; if they truly wish to help the triage they'll depart. It's not quite the same as getting reamed by a dinego that just walked in.

Praising them for it just makes it worse. You are reinforcing bad behavior. Stop doing it.

Rev. Reene

"Enlightenment is like the moon reflected on the water. The moon does not get wet, nor is the water broken. Although its light is wide and great...The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass."
- Dogen
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/02/2008 05:49 PM CDT
Overhealing is dying because you're dumb and careless. There's no other way around it. If an empath died while defending or combat healing etc, I'd definitely help them get healed and raised but when there's a limited amount of empaths and clerics at triage and you suicide because you don't know your own limits, it sucks to be you.
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/02/2008 07:28 PM CDT
each empath needs to determine whether there efforts are helping or hindering and make decisions accordingly.

But seriously, why do people ever wait for a raise? im going on 900 deaths or something. so what?

favors are easy to get. have favors and depart.

:oP Ragran
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/02/2008 09:25 PM CDT
>>Overhealing is not a noble praiseworthy sacrifice on the part of the Empath, it's stupidity and/or carelessness and it's wrong to expect others to have to clean up after it; if they truly wish to help the triage they'll depart. It's not quite the same as getting reamed by a dinego that just walked in.

Praise, no. But overhealing is something that happens -- it happens to even the most skilled empaths, and many times I think it comes down to chance more than skill or lack of skill. Yeah, it's irritating when people bring out their mule Empaths which they clearly never play except to type .empath, and then immediately overheal and then beg for raises. But it's another thing to die when you typed "cast chset" instead of "cast chest" or because your "heal chest int half" started transferring wildly because of nerve damage and killed you unexpectedly.

I see empaths who overheal as casualties, and I think it's wrong to punish them by telling them to depart when they were trying to help -- more or less exactly because we wouldn't tell somene who died because their inviso ring went down while they were dragging corpses to depart because their stupidity and lack of skill is what killed them.

So if dying for a stupid reason --> departure, then...

All of the rubberneckers who run to invasions and stupidly die should depart.
All the people who are raised, run back into the fray and immediately die should depart.
Every noob who was running around looting treasure and dies should depart.

But we don't tell these people to depart -- just the Empaths.

Personally, and you know this Reene, I think YOU ALL should depart. But applying this standard to Empaths, and no one else, is just another manifestation of this "second class citizens" attitude that I so often see foisted off on Empaths.

No thanks.

Dragonrealms Tourney Calendar: http://tourneydr.com
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/02/2008 09:27 PM CDT
I think Empaths that overheal are stupid tbh and I don't feel bad treating them like second class people.

Rev. Reene

"Enlightenment is like the moon reflected on the water. The moon does not get wet, nor is the water broken. Although its light is wide and great...The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass."
- Dogen
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/02/2008 09:36 PM CDT
I have the exact same attitude towards those who overheal in triage. If you overheal, you're getting a ward and departing. It's foolish to risk empaths to heal someone who died doing what they should know how to do. That is the policy at any triage I'm running. Empaths job is to heal and save lives, not to become a body, a hinderance. The only exception I make to this is when it is dangerous or impossible to depart. No empath should think that overhealing is just in the line of duty accident. It is embarassing and a sign that you need to work on your basic skills. If overhealing is an issue for you, you should definitely highlight the following:

"feel a burning pain" - damaging level wound(get another wound this size, you die or are a whisker from death)
"swoon from the incredible" - Two more steps and you die(you should stop now)
"You shudder from the unbearable pain" - STOP NOW(you are a whisker away from death)
"bursts with excruciating pain" - STOP NOW

Absolutely, we'd love if more people departed at triage, but without a paladin, I will never encourage it. It's difficult to get wards as it is. Please do not ever depart in triage(or an invasion) without a ward. We don't want to see you dig out your stuff, nor will we be watching for who stole your stuff.

~ Player of Lyathe
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/02/2008 09:53 PM CDT
>favors are easy to get. have favors and depart.

QFT.

-Thief Clemency Tulisar'Chirloa
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/03/2008 02:57 PM CDT
<<Yeah, it's irritating when people bring out their mule Empaths which they clearly never play except to type .empath>>

.heal actually heh

:oP Ragran
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/03/2008 03:06 PM CDT
.take for me =)

And it is smart enough to heal based on degree of wounds (no fully taking those destroyed chests!). I havn't killed my empath from overhealing in... a long long damn time. People popping reaper traps on the other hand is death (what is wrong with people!).
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/03/2008 06:55 PM CDT
ummm... usually when i die stupid the first thing i say is that i will depart, right after "crap" a lot of the time i am told not to and some one offers to raise me. honestly, we all make mistakes and overheal at some point or another. it happens. i have died becaue of "fog", because of scars that sneak up on me, and frankly it is hard as hell to heal in a crowded noisy room where you can't even see where the bodies are.

favors are easy to get, happy to use them. but, i don't think overhealing on accident in a crowded room full of people makes me stupid, just less than perfect.
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/04/2008 09:46 PM CDT
Really, you only need to worry about extreme damage to vital body parts. You can live with missing arms, legs, eyes and even nervous systems. Just keep your chest, abdomen, back, head and neck healed and eat cebi and hisan to keep the scars from catching up with you.

Not all that hard, really. Still stuff happens. If it were me, I wouldn't expect to get raised if I overhealed. It's my mistake.

2 coppers

~Ahri
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/06/2008 08:27 PM CDT
not always stupidity, getting hit with a lag spike is a sure way to die as well

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer.
--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Legeres
http://www.myspace.com/ledge_ear_us
http://legeres.deviantart.com
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/06/2008 08:34 PM CDT
The solution is to not begin fully transferring wounds that will kill you if the transfer completes.

Not rocket science. Especially not since they tweaked part/half/most to work most of the time.

Rev. Reene

- Dogen
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/06/2008 10:15 PM CDT
Unfortunately, with the changes to concentration, taking part or half of the wounds is much harder than it used to be, leaving many empaths without that option.

Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/06/2008 11:30 PM CDT
>>Unfortunately, with the changes to concentration, taking part or half of the wounds is much harder than it used to be, leaving many empaths without that option.

It's pretty rote for me at 35th. I mostly just need to watch how wounded I get, as that sucks the life out of the ability pretty quickly. Like before, however, the best way is to simply get intimate with the wound messaging to tell at a glance whether or not a full transfer will kill you or not.

Symphaena gets lots and lots of gasps and concerned admonitions to not overheal, and I just laugh because I know (when they are saying such things, at least) I won't ever die.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/06/2008 11:42 PM CDT
I'm somewhat in agreeance with the bias that a lot of people have toward empaths, in treating them differently (especially since so many people have support empaths. I actually like to RP mine, though..so I don't consider her support since I rarely ever use her for it.), however..when I see my 20th circle empath healing circles around 40th-50th circle empaths and NOT dying from overhealing, I get a little bit disheartened and annoyed.

It does slow down triage quite a bit. I mean.. maybe it's not really difficult to overheal, but as an empath..especially as a primary character empath, you should know your limits..know how to react when your vitality gets low or you have too many bleeders, and know when/how to stop in case none of the above tactics are working. Of course accidents happen, but in the last couple of invasions..with my primary character, I have watched the same empath die more than once in triage, when there was ample empathic help to back them up so that they don't overheal. And those empaths, all got raises instead of departing.

I don't feel bad saying any of this, because I play my empath maybe only half as much as my primary character (below) and not only do I know my healing limits, but I have only died once from overhealing (we all do it at least once). So...I guess the point of this is, if you're going to do triage, make sure that you're going to aid the cause. Don't try to be a superhero. Do what you can, heal up, and then continue. People DO appreciate the work you do, just don't overheal yourself.

That's all I guess.

- Terra
_______
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/07/2008 05:24 AM CDT
I've only overhealed once, but then that was all it took to pay more attention and force people to wait a bit longer while I healed up the worst of the critical wounds and scars. Probably the main reason I don't overheal anymore is that I hate invasions and refuse to participate in them, so I either log off, or I go somewhere else until the dust has settled. This has been my philosophy since before the Outcast War that was what...? over 5 years ago?

Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/07/2008 02:54 PM CDT
Francelia very rarely over healed herself; in fact, she took great pride in the fact that she had not had a single over healing death until she was getting more actively involved in field healing. She experienced several at this time, which were completely her own fault, as I started using a .take script. Things were moving along well for her until she hit 30th circle, at which time everything I learned about how to heal, and every thing Francelia did tanked with the concentration changes, and the ability to take wounds quicker. She is not proud of the fact that she has fallen in triage, and it is one of the reasons she would rather be in the field than in triage healing situation. She learned to adjust to these changes by talking with more experienced empaths. As it stands now she is just getting use to her new ability to heal wounds faster, but can still proudly say that most of the times she dies it is at the hand of some nasty thing that has her in its sights rather then stupidity on her part.

I, as her player, however do not think that anyone should judge another empath when they die of over healing. There are many factors that go into healing a person, not the least of which (especially in triage) there is a great deal going on, and those prompts one gets when one is in danger of keeling over can quickly be lost as someone fills the screen with getting things out of their grave, people appearing and leaving the area triage is in, and people begging for wards, healing, or just trying to get information about what is going on. Scroll has killed me quicker than anything else in this game, because even my "highlights" can quickly be lost before I have the time to process the information, or do something about what I have just read. As to doing a ward and a depart, it certainly makes it easier on the other empaths in triage, but there are times when the situation is uncertain beyond the area of triage, and for me quite frequently I am in a triage where I don't know the area, or where I would end up if I depart, and running around with nothing to protect me and no clue where I might be going if I do depart is a dicey proposition.

Some things I would recommend, especially in times of trouble, invasion or if there are many dead lying about and living wounded coming in to be healed.

*Empaths: Heal those things that are the most deadly, the bleeders, and those things that keep someone from actively fighting such as a missing limb or nerve damage.

*Patients: If an empath has healed the bleeders, and other things that will keep you from joining the battle, but left you with scraps and scars eat some herbs, there are (in most cases) bags of herbs at triage for anyone to use.

This would certainly help get people back on their feet sooner, and help the empaths from having so much down time between working on one patient and the next, and would certainly cut down on compounding wounds that could lead to suddenly having a missing abdomen.
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/07/2008 04:14 PM CDT
Wow! I didn't realize that raising a dead empath was such a pain for everyone. We heal you people up and then in some cases have to sit and heal ourselves for much longer then it took to heal you. And for empaths that choose to heal for their empathy requirements...it's a LOT of healing people! So in the event of an overheal everyone should then turn their backs on us? Save our memories and tell us to get lost? I have overhealed 6 times. 4 of those 6 times was when I already had many injures and came into a situation where it was a person that would surely die if I didn't take the major wound. In most cases its the internal scarring that got me. In all 6 cases I was raised. I appreciated it and I tipped just like anyone else who accidently dies. I was no different then the people who accidently blow up a box or accidentally die hunting, etc. I'm not expecting nor do I want admiration and worship, just common curtesy. What a concept.

Sorry to say, we all make mistakes. I don't do triage often for the simple reason that I have trouble keeping up with all the room commotion but now I have a second reason. Call the empaths to triage to heal the masses of people dead and injured. One after another get up and walk their happy butt back to the fray just to end up accidentally dieing and coming back again. But curse the empaths! After healing her/his 30th person...we're the only guild not allowed to die? No thanks.
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/07/2008 04:36 PM CDT
>> I was no different then the people who accidently blow up a box or accidentally die hunting, etc.

Actually it's very different. There's no such thing as rolling snake-eyes when you're healing someone. A scratch will not spontaneously morph into a pulped body part and kill you by virtue of the random number god screwing you over.

It's user error. It may be that you hit a patch of lag or get disconnected yes, but that's a calculated risk you choose to take whenever you begin a transfer of a wound that will kill you if it completes. The solution is to not begin transferring a wound if it can kill you. You have many, many tools at your disposal to handle this.

This is speaking as someone that played as an Empath primarily for years. Not to pull rank or anything but the high-and-mighty "BUT WE HEAL YOU AND IT'S HARD" routine won't work on me seeing as I was playing an Empath back when healing was the only way to advance in the guild and most Empaths literally begged for people to bring them wounds so they could wring experience out of it.

You overheal, it's your own fault. Kind of like if I rogue gate, it's my own fault. QQ a river, build a bridge and get over it.

Rev. Reene

- Dogen
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/07/2008 04:50 PM CDT
Over healing is an empaths fault. I never claimed it wasn't. That's what an accident is. But all other races are granted accidents that kill them. So I would expect the same should I accidently die.
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/07/2008 04:59 PM CDT
>>high-and-mighty<<

As stated in my post, I don't want to be considered high and mighty. Treat empaths with the same heal/raise respect that all other guilds get when they make stupid death errors.

>>"BUT WE HEAL YOU AND IT'S HARD" routine<<

My point to my healing comments was that people love us when they need healing but not enough to even consider us heal or raise worthy.
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/07/2008 05:13 PM CDT
See, that's where using a script gets people in trouble. It's fine for your everyday sit-in-the-guild healing, but for a triage situation you really need to pay attention to what's going on. I can do that a lot better if I manually take the worst wounds first and heal them as I go and then if I need to, use a .takeall script to finish healing the patient. Lately though, I've just been taking the bleeders and letting someone else finish healing the rest when working triage.

In the past couple invasions where I was healing at the Crossing Cleric guild triage, we had a pretty good system going. We did have a raising cleric, sometimes you don't always have that and might have to tweak your methods accordingly. Anyways, here's what happened.

1. Dead person comes in and Empath 1 heals the bleeders so they can get raised. JUST bleeders, nothing else.

2. Person is pronounced raisable and is raised. Empath 1 goes onto the next dead person.

3. Empath 2 heals the (now live) person the rest of the way. All they need to worry about is scars stacking up in vital areas or minor cuts compounding...which doesn't happen all at once.

4. Person is healed and ready to go fight again.

Empath 1 should be able to juggle lots of bleeders or be able to heal them all quickly and it helps if they eat lots of scar herbs.

Empath 2 should keep scar herbs handy too.

Can I emphasize the benefit of having scar herbs enough? Casting scar healing spells is a lot more mana intensive and will drain your attunement much more quickly. Eating herbs lets you save your mana to help you stop bleeding or raise your vitality or refresh yourself or another empath.

As far as picking on empaths...it's just as frustrating to heal an overeager fighter who goes out and dies right away as it is to heal an overeager empath. I'm more likely to heal someone who can help, rather than become another body shortly after.

~Ahri
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/07/2008 07:16 PM CDT
<<See, that's where using a script gets people in trouble. It's fine for your everyday sit-in-the-guild healing, but for a triage situation you really need to pay attention to what's going on.>>

it depends on how well-written the script is.

the empaths in TF don't seem to have a problem with over-healing.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/07/2008 07:59 PM CDT
<There's no such thing as rolling snake-eyes when you're healing someone.>

Actually, there is. Before take part works reliably, there's a chance of the transfer going wild and transferring the whole wound at once. This is something that I had heard about, and thought just crazy talk, but it has happened to me.

Of the three times I have overhealed, one was plain abject stupidity, one was the above issue, and the third happened right after I got above 200 empathy and transfers seem to have started happening faster, almost suddenly, so the prep time I was accustomed to was too long for the transfer I was doing. The end result was I hit enter on "cast" right AFTER I keeled over.

I'm sure that the miserly would still consider this abject stupidity, but it's as much a learning experience as going into a new area and finding out, HEY, those black goblins can really THROW those axes, eh?
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/07/2008 08:12 PM CDT
>> Before take part works reliably, there's a chance of the transfer going wild and transferring the whole wound at once.

I have never in seven years seen an entire useless level wound transfer in one pulse. So no, that isn't the same thing.

How the wild transfer bit works IIRC is that it will more or less pick a random rate and amount to transfer. And nothing stops you from breaking the link before it pulses when you see this happen, either.

Rev. Reene

- Dogen
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/07/2008 08:14 PM CDT
The main issue I have with overhealing is during invasion triage duty. You can overheal all you want when it's you and your friends in the middle of nowhere or when there's not so much stuff going on for all I care.

But when there's an invasion, my last priority is raising an empath who overhealed. The past few times I've raised empaths who overhealed, they overhealed and died again. I am refering to Carebera or whatever her name is. If you're young and unable to take part, don't even try and take the deadly locations, leave that to a higher empath and work on limbs.

Main thing is know your limits. I know when one of my vital areas will explode. With a bard playing naga's blessing I never run out of mana so that isn't even an issue. If I had to I could run triage myself and sometimes I feel that's what ended up happening as the other empaths just suicide. If you have script issues, go ask around or go back to wizard and use the crutch. There's almost no realistic reason you should be dying from overhealing.
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/07/2008 09:47 PM CDT
I've become somewhat convinced that the main reason other Empaths gripe about healing empaths who overheal is because they don't get any EXP from doing so. Would an Empath who died fighting on the front lines and was dragged in be treated any differently from an Empath who overhealed?

Dragonrealms Tourney Calendar: http://tourneydr.com
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/07/2008 10:06 PM CDT
I'd heal them if I didn't see them die right in front of me from an exploding chest.
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/08/2008 08:57 AM CDT
ok really.. i heal EVERYONE (ummm... almost) and do it regardless of the guild they are. i heal up other empaths just so they dont have to, random sleepy strangers, and have on occasion healed people that my empath despises. so the not healing other empaths thing really doesn't fly with me. you gain other experience when you heal yourself anyway.

if you dont want to heal some one, or raise some one, it is totally your perogative. BUT don't rip on others unless you have acheived some level of perfection that they just are to human to even aspire to.
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/08/2008 03:27 PM CDT
actually empaths that fall should be first priority, pretty soon after they have been raised they can start helping again..

i don't overheal very often anymore.. actually can't remember the last time i overhealed... but i'd gladly heal another empath even if they did overheal(provided they aren't a zombie), i don't really care about exp anyway, it's more about rp for me, you'll get the usual lecture though ;p

well anyway to the empaths that do overheal:
*watch your fatigue, keep refresh up(if you don't have refresh have another cast it on you)
*if your taking bleeder, keep blood staunch up
*remember what wounds you already have and how bad they are (i personally heal completely before logging off, saves me some trouble)
*break all is your friend, use it when the wound transfers wildly
*highlighting certain things helps, i personally do it on scale different colors for wound severity
*when in doubt make sure the vital areas don't have scar/internal damage, these include head, neck, chest, abdomen, back, and for s'kra mur tails(or so i've been told)

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer.
--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Legeres
http://www.myspace.com/ledge_ear_us
http://legeres.deviantart.com
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/08/2008 04:51 PM CDT
Just from a technical standpoint, it is not possible for an entire useless wound to transfer in one pulse.

-GM Obseden
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
"Anything's possible. Especially since I'm rewriting the system."
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/08/2008 05:24 PM CDT
You forgot one Legs:

*if the scroll is bad enough that you have trouble seeing your own wounds, don't transfer. (some of my own overhealing deaths came because during the flashing-by I saw "body part" and "wound severity" combine from two different sources)

And here's another that may be particularly useful to the players coming back to triage/healing after a long absence:

*start small until you get your groove back again. At one time you may have been able to pick out 6 out of 600 text characters zooming by faster than you can read them and then efficiently acted in an appropriate manner, but that ability has atrophied at least a little bit during your hiatus and now you need some practice to regain your peak form.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Empaths and overhealing 10/08/2008 07:20 PM CDT
>> Just from a technical standpoint, it is not possible for an entire useless wound to transfer in one pulse.

Thank you for confirming this.

Rev. Reene

- Dogen