Let's all shift in public... 06/17/2007 06:17 PM CDT
>>[The Crossing, Hodierna Way]
The hustle of crowds making their way between the secular and religious centers of town that converge here carries you along with its momentum. The granite and marble facade of the First Provincial Bank catches your eye, standing before you as solid as its name. A Gor'Tog guard armed with pike and crossbow is posted at the door, while a few well-dressed merchants congregate outside. You also see a town guard, a large parchment, and a big orange sign with a picture of a smiling Dwarf.
Also here: an immobilized Life Mage Tolena, Manze, and an immobilized Medic Tursavidus.
Obvious paths: east, southwest, northwest.

I know in some of the more remote areas empaths will just find a quiet, rarely used corner instead of going to an inn. That's fine, at least they don't get stumbled over. But...c'mon...in front of the Crossing bank is one of the busiest places in Elanthia. I always thought shifting was supposed to be hush hush for fear your guild leader would find out. Would be nice if Annael had some sort of mechanism that would allow us to go directly to the guild and lodge a complaint about this sort of thing.

~Lyonesse (Since half of you have figured out who I am anyways.)

>flee e

You wonder if your envelope is the home of an evil spirit.
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/18/2007 07:48 AM CDT
I would agree that in front of the Crossing Bank is in poor taste. Not everyone IG understands or knows what seeing two immobilized people mean and at such a busy intersection I can see it causing problems.

Now, I am not one of these Empaths that goes skulking off into a corner to shift someone. I've done it as recently as out in the open at the safe spot in Adan'f in Ilithi; but then, I have no fear that a guildleader is going to come crashing down on me for practicing what is a wonderful gift. We all know the story of Jomay. I think the guildleaders realize that the possibility of that happening again amongst one of us is next to zero.

Doctor Kerrian Runegazer
Notable of Ilithi
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/18/2007 02:21 PM CDT
> I think the guildleaders realize that the possibility of that happening again amongst one of us is next to zero.

Hi, I'm Raudhan. Perhaps we haven't met?

Renegade Empath Raudhan just arrived.

A cutthroat gasps, "I can't get UP!"

You begin to lecture Reexa on the proper use of the brawling skill.
You cackle!
You strike a heroic pose.
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/18/2007 02:26 PM CDT
Seriously though, can you tell if you are passing through an area whether or not someone is able to move? If we are going to RP that we must introduce ourselves even though the screen says:

> Raudhan just arrived.

...then I think we should also RP the fact that you do not actually see someone immobilized until you ask them to follow you or something like such. Even when shifting, I hate the messaging of seeing a "nearly visible connection." If it is NEARLY visible, that means it is NOT visible.

I think the only time it's obvious something is happening with shift is the very beginning, when the person's eyes fly wide open. I can understand then saying "Something is going on, and this is strange." But if you just see a shift in progress, how do you know that the two people aren't having a staring competition? You don't.

You cackle!
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/18/2007 06:15 PM CDT
<<But if you just see a shift in progress, how do you know that the two people aren't having a staring competition? You don't.>>

Well, except for the whole hair turning a different color, or nose changing shape thing...

GM Reexa

Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/18/2007 06:51 PM CDT
<<Well, except for the whole hair turning a different color, or nose changing shape thing...>>

Somewhat relatedly, it'd be really neat if a person being Shifted LOOKed funny for the duration of the Shift.

The way it is now, it seems like the Shift is initiated, and then nothing happens until POP! It's over!

Maybe something like...

>look Victim

You see Empathic Victim, an Elf.
His features are strangely blurry, as if caught in the middle of a transition.
He is in good shape.

And then, once the Shift was done, they would return to normal with the new Shift in place.

~Laril
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/18/2007 06:58 PM CDT
>> If it is NEARLY visible, that means it is NOT visible.

Indicates nothing more than the fact that something more than mundane vision is required to "see" it.

IIRC aren't you able to see that messaging more consistently when you have higher power perception?

Rev. Reene

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a yo-yo."
-- Enoch in Neal Stephenson's The Confusion
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/18/2007 07:49 PM CDT
>> ... I hate the messaging of seeing a "nearly visible connection." If it is NEARLY visible, that means it is NOT visible.

I disagree heartily. There's nothing wrong with that messaging. If this were a graphical MMORPG, you might have a point, but this example shows the strength of text. It captures a feeling and sets the scene for what's going on when a shift is in progress.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/19/2007 06:00 AM CDT
Squiff has advocated public shifting for quite a while now. he's endured the wrath of the GLs after openly shifting in front of the Baron in Therengia and continues to encourage others to speak openly about our empathic skills.

After a discussion with K'Wyllen he's become a little less vocal, but all the same he'll shift openly when and where he likes as a matter of principle. Most of the GL's aren't as anti-shifting as they first appear.

I say good on you Tolena! Keep up the good work!!

SQUIFF
Not circling, SHIFTING!
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/19/2007 08:02 AM CDT
Somehow I don't think Tolena was doing it to make a stand against anything, more out of sheer ignorance of the potential consequences or lore behind the ability.

Rev. Reene

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a yo-yo."
-- Enoch in Neal Stephenson's The Confusion
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/19/2007 10:19 AM CDT
I think Reene hit the head on the nail because I was told that it was a "safe" place to shift.

~Lyonesse (Since half of you have figured out who I am anyways.)

>flee e

You wonder if your envelope is the home of an evil spirit.
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/22/2007 02:08 AM CDT
Partially my fault. I've never had ~any~ of my characters shifted before, nor seen a shift take place, so I didn't know it would immobilize me. I wanted it to be from an IC perspective anyway, Tursa has been training for months and it's starting to show in his physique, hence, an athletic build. It didn't make sense for a lot of people to see it.

That said, now I know. I'll ask the Empath if we can go elsewhere next time. She should really have had more sense to KNOW it would immobilize and go elsewhere, though. Sorry, Tolena, I appreciate your generosity in shifting me for free and all, but this wasn't smart.

Oh well. No harm, no foul, lesson learned.
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/22/2007 03:05 AM CDT
Why did you not research before you did it. Your ignorance of shifting is not the Empath's fault.
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/22/2007 07:24 AM CDT
> Why did you not research before you did it. Your ignorance of shifting is not the Empath's fault.

lame. stop trolling.

You cackle!
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/22/2007 07:26 AM CDT
>>Why did you not research before you did it. Your ignorance of shifting is not the Empath's fault.

Are you serious? Maybe the customer should have known but the Empath definately should have known. I'd say it's more the Empaths fault than the customer.

Jaedren says, "Alas, no Khri Ronco (Set it and forget it!). Woe."
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/22/2007 10:21 AM CDT
Or maybe cut me some slack while I learn another thing about this game that I've had to buck up and learn the hard way, -including- how to just roleplay and roll with the punches.

That said, I won't let this happen again.

Next topic k plz thx.
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/22/2007 10:36 AM CDT
Don't sweat it Tursavidus. I like Tolena, but I think she owed you a little background here and she certainly shouldn't have jeopardized your standing in the guild by shifting in such a public place. I don't know her RP relative to shift though.

~Purehand
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/22/2007 08:29 PM CDT
I think its all overkill anyway. Look we have one Khalo (at least) who's secretly supportive of shifting. We have several GL's who don't have a problem with it. As Squiff has maintained all along there's a conspiracy at the top to ensure none of us ever become knowledgeable enough to combat Jomay.

There has to be a change in how we deal with shift. It's not a secret!

Almost everybody you look at has been shifted in one way or another. It rediculous to suggest Tolena did any harm by doing what she did. In fact in my opinion she's advancing the guilds progress!

SQUIFF
Not circling, SHIFTING!
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/22/2007 08:53 PM CDT
>There has to be a change in how we deal with shift. It's not a secret!
>Almost everybody you look at has been shifted in one way or another.

I wonder if that is part of the problem? A lot of folks that get shifted (in my experience) do so because that is how they envisioned their character all along. And then someone comes along and points and makes some comment about how they've been shifted - and in the characters eyes - they haven't - that's just how they look.

I think it's all a matter of perspective, and I was just throwing another side of the dice out there.

~Chris
Re: Let's all shift in public... 06/22/2007 09:51 PM CDT
>I wonder if that is part of the problem? A lot of folks that get shifted (in my experience) do so because that is how they envisioned their character all along. And then someone comes along and points and makes some comment about how they've been shifted - and in the characters eyes - they haven't - that's just how they look.

I always maintained that shift eval <person> was a terrible addition to the game, and I still believe it is.
Re: Let's all shift in public... 07/18/2007 03:49 AM CDT

<<I think the guildleaders realize that the possibility of that happening again amongst one of us is next to zero.>>

especially with the recent downtweak to shift.

::grumbles::

bashful in tf, who just lost all his body shifts.

::grumbles::

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Let's all shift in public... 07/18/2007 03:51 AM CDT
actually, when you go into a room and someone is immobilized, unless you are "in the know" it looks EXACTLY the same as when someone is under the influence of the paladin "HALT" spell.

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Let's all shift in public... 07/18/2007 04:44 AM CDT
>> actually, when you go into a room and someone is immobilized, unless you are "in the know" it looks EXACTLY the same as when someone is under the influence of the paladin "HALT" spell.

Disregarding the almost visible link thrumming through the air between the two immobilized people? Sure.

There's also the fact that there's probably some visible morphing of features involved... It would be nice if the messaging reflected this.

Rev. Reene

SEND[Zeyurn] Congratulations, you broke Taisgath somehow.
Re: Let's all shift in public... 07/18/2007 07:59 AM CDT
Mechanics in the guildhall should be changed to not throw out someone who has an unsolicited shift initiated on them. I had a bad experience recently being touched and offered a shift in the guildhall from someone testing the system. Before I could move, hide or whisper an objection I was tossed out and banned from the guild hall. The shiftee should not be subject to punishment unless they accept the shift.

I was... not happy.

>bashful in tf, who just lost all his body shifts.

Try initiating the shifts anyway. I lost a lot on my lists, but can still do them.

~Purehand
Re: Let's all shift in public... 07/18/2007 09:17 AM CDT
it also effected the difficulty of force shifts as well from what I can tell.

-bashful da dwarf -

Re: Let's all shift in public... 07/18/2007 10:39 AM CDT
Yeah, the force throwing of someone out when they have a shift initiated is not intentional...I'll be looking into that in a bit.

-GM Obseden
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
"Anything's possible. Especially since I'm rewriting the system."