Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/04/2007 01:44 AM CDT
>> Well, the fact that they carry around 10x the wealth of any other guild with their pockets wide open says alot about what they expect.

This is true. Plus not very many of them seem to train perception very high. Empaths and Clerics both are easy pickings in their respective gathering spots.

And if one of them does catch my character stealing it's not really a big deal. Blacklists really do not matter much on the whole. I've never died because I've been on someone's blacklist. The worst I ever have to do is go find another healer that either doesn't care or is willing to look the other way in return for plats.

Rev. Reene

"Who provides the opportunity to cultivate patience? Not our friends. Our enemies give us the most crucial chances to grow."
- Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/04/2007 08:54 AM CDT
I must say I've garnered a little respect myself from Strange just by reading his OOC posts. I think both sides have some merit to them... Overall, it doesn't take very many people to act a certain way to generate a stereotype that holds up to most proof. I know that in the upper echelons of the empath guild, most if not all of the empaths know that being an empath is not an excuse to carry around plats, open gem pouches, or whine when someone kills us. Perhaps we're dealing with a lack of training to our young empaths, or a rogue cell that thinks that they are holier than the rest of us? It deserves further investigation for us as a guild I think.
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/04/2007 09:14 AM CDT
When other guilds are stolen from they have the recourse of attacking back. Empaths do not have exactly the same avenue but with a little imagination there are other ways. It is a little bit of an eye raiser when a thief steals from a cleric or an empath only for two reasons in my book.

One reason being the blacklist.. yep, there is always someone who would help. I will not argue there.
Reason two.. there is a code and in that code there are two guilds addressed as 'Clerics and Empaths sacrifice themselves to help others -- including you. Do not steal from them'

Nope.. no one has to follow this. My only point in mentioning it is when something goes against the grain it usually gets noticed and is opposed.

I still think this would be a fun little player run plot but seems there is no interest.

~ Leissl and $0.02
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/04/2007 09:30 AM CDT
>>I know that in the upper echelons of the empath guild, most if not all of the empaths know that being an empath is not an excuse to carry around plats, open gem pouches, or whine when someone kills us. Perhaps we're dealing with a lack of training to our young empaths, or a rogue cell that thinks that they are holier than the rest of us?

I think that's the issue, most older empaths (although I can think of at least 3 off the top of my head that do STILL play the empath card) have learned to accept these things will happen and most of us have learned how to deal with it. I find it EXTREMELY rare for any young empath to not fall under the belief that empaths should be safeguarded because of their guild. For this reason I do see them carry lots of coins, speak without caution and do things like goad on fights without realizing that their actions may very well cause their deaths. I'm not sure if it stems from being naive or from hearing many other guilds reaffirm this for them. Someone stole from the empath?! Let's form a lynch mob and start screaming about how immoral it is! Empath caught an arrow to the face?! We'll light up the gweth for HOURS. The other problem I see is that people see characters like Strange or Blixxer (Anybody else remember the Rathan bad boy that got one angry mob after another after him for picking on empaths?) and they automatically start telling all the empaths in the area that that's the bad man that will kill you and pee on your corpse after robbing you blind and this ADDS to the conflicts by fueling the fire. You know what I've found in most cases? Treat them with respect and they tend to respond likewise.

~Arwinia

You are Shrimpstar, a Prydaen Bard.
You have pointed ears and cat-slitted clear colored eyes. Your amber mane is short and thick, and is worn tousled. You have grey fur and a slender tail.
You look tired.

You are wearing nothing special.
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/04/2007 09:33 AM CDT
>>When other guilds are stolen from they have the recourse of attacking back. Empaths do not have exactly the same avenue but with a little imagination there are other ways. It is a little bit of an eye raiser when a thief steals from a cleric or an empath only for two reasons in my book.

One reason being the blacklist.. yep, there is always someone who would help. I will not argue there.
Reason two.. there is a code and in that code there are two guilds addressed as 'Clerics and Empaths sacrifice themselves to help others -- including you. Do not steal from them'

Nope.. no one has to follow this. My only point in mentioning it is when something goes against the grain it usually gets noticed and is opposed.

I still think this would be a fun little player run plot but seems there is no interest.<<

I'm definately down with the player run plot. There used to be an honor code amongst thieves in general that empaths were safe from thevery, but that wasn't a hard and fast law, more like a social tenant. That has since changed and empaths have adapted. Not many thieves stick to that code any longer, and not many empaths really care that much. For the most part we have adapted. It's not really so much of an eye raiser anymore in my book.
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? ::NUDGE:: 04/04/2007 09:41 AM CDT
Y'all have a decent conflict going in here and have been doing very well to stay "on-topic" and generally amazingly constructive ... for a conflict.

Lets not ruin a good thing by letting the language deteriorate.

Thanks.
Soveign

If you have any questions and/or comments, please feel free to send them to me at MOD-Soveign@play.net, Senior Board Moderator Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net or Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@play.net.
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/04/2007 10:02 AM CDT
>>That has since changed and empaths have adapted. Not many thieves stick to that code any longer, and not many empaths really care that much. For the most part we have adapted. It's not really so much of an eye raiser anymore in my book.

Hmm, I didn't realize. I am from the old days so it could be lack of exposure and I've never played an empath to full potential until recently.

I am up for a plot too but seems silly to arrange a meeting. I'll try and bring my character to crossings and see if something comes from it. I need tons of teaching for her anyways.

~ Leissl and $0.02
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/04/2007 10:39 AM CDT
What Farman said exactly. Admittedly, I don't know many young empaths. I do know one empath personally who runs his mouth then pulls the empath card but he's doing it deliberately to cause a stir. He's ridiculously over the top, but people take him seriously. It's brilliant.

~Purehand

You doubt that you'll be able to alter another person's features for at least 564 more roisaen.
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/05/2007 12:14 AM CDT
>I'll try and bring my character to crossings and see if something comes from it.

Sounds good to me but...Crossing? UGH.

Player of Kerrian
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/05/2007 12:16 AM CDT
I have fun in Crossing.

Beats the hell out of anywhere else. Especially Ratha.

Rev. Reene

"Who provides the opportunity to cultivate patience? Not our friends. Our enemies give us the most crucial chances to grow."
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/05/2007 12:18 AM CDT
>Beats the hell out of anywhere else.

Guess it depends on what you're looking for. ; )

Crossing's good for finding classes and idiotic snerts. I prefer Shard.
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/05/2007 12:34 AM CDT
>> Crossing's good for finding classes and idiotic snerts.

Crossing has its share of roleplay niches.

In Shard you alternate between listening to policy-playing idiots on the gweth and listening to nothing at all.

Rev. Reene

Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/05/2007 08:53 AM CDT

>Sounds good to me but...Crossing? UGH.

>Player of Kerrian

Saw Strange in Shard last night briefly. Guess I don't need to go far afterall.

Kerrian.. I should catch up with you. I spend 50% of my time in Shard with my empath and the other 50% is Theren.

~ Leissl and $0.02
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/05/2007 11:10 AM CDT
>I spend 50% of my time in Shard with my empath

Absolutely, you'll see me around Adan'f, Whitehall Commons, etc....

Kerrian
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/05/2007 11:12 AM CDT
>In Shard you alternate between listening to policy-playing idiots on the gweth and listening to nothing at all.

It's a joy to be in Ilithi around people who know how to RP well.

Player of Kerrian
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/05/2007 12:41 PM CDT
"Beats the hell out of anywhere else. Especially Ratha."

All I can say in defense of Ratha is the empath population seems slightly more adept at telling their head from their arse when it comes to healing. Some of them may be snuggly bunnies, but atleast I don't have to sit there for an hour while they're being snuggly bunnies. The crossings empath guild got Serchah addicted to herbs. My shadow servant got named Medic while I lived in crossings.

-Serc

"Moon Mages have already been given some of the most ridiculously powerful magic in the game, third only to Warrior Mages and Barbarians" -Armifer
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/05/2007 12:53 PM CDT
The Rathan Empathic Guild humbly accepts your compliment Serc and extends the continued devotion to duty and selflessness to the ever-victorious defenders of the island
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/05/2007 01:20 PM CDT
>Perhaps we're dealing with a lack of training to our young empaths

Hit the nail right on the head there, Souv. Who among us doesn't still remember the first time they were robbed of their first few precious golds at a low circle? A hard lesson, but clear: don't carry money on the streets! Anyone who habitually carries big sums on the open streets is kind of an idjit. I wasn't aware that it was part of the Upstanding Citizen Guild's code not to steal from Empaths and Clerics though.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/05/2007 01:57 PM CDT
>>I wasn't aware that it was part of the Upstanding Citizen Guild's code not to steal from Empaths and Clerics though<<

again... it was considered a courtesy, not law, so perhaps "Code" is too strong of a word. It was considered that since they risked their life for yours on a daily basis, that they were marked on the no steal list unless they were just being snerts. I suppose one could say that the thieves' guild was kind of like the empathic socio-police, balancing the power between those who held power over death, and those that held power over life. To my knowledge, a few of the thieves got tired of it and decided to forego the unofficial policy somewhere around end of 2003 and it slowly deteriorated from there.
This should be well within our sphere of influence though. Our young need to be taught that they are no different than anyone else when it comes to keeping money and gems in the open, and if they do, they need to be responsible for what happens because of it and not go crying to anyone when they could have prevented it. You can't stop a thief from taking the few bronze on your person, but you sure can keep them from getting your gems and your plats. Don't carry around more than you can afford to lose. I say let Strange rob from all the empaths he wants, it's about time we enact the old code again.
Re: Empath's opinions don't count? 04/05/2007 04:35 PM CDT
Code link.. unofficial of course.

http://dr.warcry.com/index.php/content/guilds/thief/code

~ Leissl and $0.02
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page