Prev_page Previous 1
Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 01:19 AM CDT
>>Soul Attrition

RIP my ability to be an Empath Soul Destroyer. It was never fated to last, but we had a good run.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 03:13 AM CDT
Epedia is updated.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 03:24 AM CDT
I can't tell what's going on with Harm Horde. It's not hitting anything, and also seems like it's not even trying? Except, oddly, if someone else is in the room, but then it only hits mine at melee (more than once), not the ones at missile, facing my friend. If it's missing, it should at least tell me it's missing. (When someone else is in the room, I occasionally get the "is unaffected" message.)

A log (only deleting the critters' attacks) from when I was alone in the room:

> tar hh
That will disrupt less than a quarter of your current attunement.
Your eyes darken to black as a starless night as you prepare the Harm Horde spell.
You begin to weave mana lines into a targeting pattern centered around yourself that is designed to strike the avenues of attack around you.

> assess
You assess your combat situation...

You (solidly balanced) are facing a pale grey death spirit (1) at melee range.
A pale grey death spirit (1: adeptly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
A pale grey death spirit (2: adeptly balanced) is flanking you at melee range.
A pale grey death spirit (3: nimbly balanced) is behind you at melee range.
A pale grey death spirit (4: nimbly balanced) is behind you at melee range.

(You are also defending against a pale grey death spirit.)

> cast
>
You gesture.
A whirlwind of gleaming blue-white mist rises up around you.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
>
The whirlwind of gleaming blue-white mist pulses hard before expanding in size, lashing out at everything within reach!
>
The whirlwind of gleaming blue-white mist becomes more violent, expanding outward from you to pole range.
>
The whirlwind of gleaming blue-white mist becomes more violent, expanding outward from you to missile range.

The whirlwind dissipates as quickly as it formed.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 03:33 AM CDT
I don't understand the change to HH; FoU CAST CRITTER will hit everything engaged to you, and pulse twice. HH now hits everything at melee three times, and everything at missile once... Seems pretty similar, especially considering the time it takes to pulse that third time, most stuff is already at melee...

But that aside, the spell seems broken; targeting individual targets, CRITTER, or AREA just results in an expanding mist that hits nothing. Just prepping the spell with no target starts a spell but no cast timer.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 03:59 AM CDT

Awwww. Good thing I sold my SA!!

Poor bastards.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 04:43 AM CDT
Seems as though EF/BF was tweaked to give worse ratios than before? Normally casting at (20+20) mana, and exchanging 40% of my spirit would guarantee a complete refill (unless absolutely tanked of mana, then it might give around 97%)

Getting considerably worse returns now; even (20+20+20) mana and 40 spirit won't give back a full return of mana.

Is there any plans to re-add a tweaked version of Kertigen's Will? I know most may put it on backburner compared to Malediction, but I'd personally love to see it return; even if nerfed, and especially if it could be woven into Hydra Hex.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 06:47 AM CDT
I also could not get HH to hit anything. I well outclass the targets.

HH still has the 'undead only' stipulation, correct? Does it lose a spell slot cost because of that restriction?

Pants.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 10:33 AM CDT
>>I can't tell what's going on with Harm Horde. It's not hitting anything, and also seems like it's not even trying?

Ok, that should be fixed.

>>I don't understand the change to HH; FoU CAST CRITTER will hit everything engaged to you, and pulse twice. HH now hits everything at melee three times, and everything at missile once... Seems pretty similar, especially considering the time it takes to pulse that third time, most stuff is already at melee...

The second pulse of FoU has a reduced potency. HH has all three at full strength, ignores shield and armor, changes damage types to skirt elemental immunities, but is only for undead. The possibility that most things could end up at melee and get hit by all three pulses is a good thing.

Harm Horde is intended to be the ultimate undead slaying spell. FoU is a solid everyday AOE.

>>Is there any plans to re-add a tweaked version of Kertigen's Will?

Yep, no ETA at the moment though.

>>HH still has the 'undead only' stipulation, correct? Does it lose a spell slot cost because of that restriction?

Yep.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 01:22 PM CDT

Okay- new and improved HH is very nice- really is superior to FOU in zombie maulers- it actually kills them!

Thanks- very nice work.

Also, Flavius died last night and new MF worked like a charm- I appreciate those changes too.

I didnt' check the straight cast Malediction, as I always use it with HYH but is the duration still 30 seconds? It is not so much the power, but short duration that makes it seem useless as a defensive debuff.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 02:22 PM CDT
>Harm Horde is intended to be the ultimate undead slaying spell. FoU is a solid everyday AOE.

Gotcha. I guess I stopped using it when previously, all it did was pulse melee, pole, and missile. I'll definitely experiment with it more. I love the tools Clerics get for remurderizing the Undead/Evil, and feel Cleric magic is the coolest in game.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 02:28 PM CDT
>>I didnt' check the straight cast Malediction, as I always use it with HYH but is the duration still 30 seconds?

Well, it's still 15-48 seconds. The duration will remain in line with all other debuff spells, which is something we're still considering making changes to.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 02:38 PM CDT
Awesome work on the Rezz bit, it makes me happy.

Aside from that, did GHS get harder to cast with sorcery?

I ask because I'm now randomly get a lot of backfiring messages when
they never showed up before. Not the arm flambe ones, but the regular "Your spell backfires by BLAHBLAH amount".

186 sorcery, min prep.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 08:55 PM CDT
>>did GHS get harder to cast with sorcery?

I might have upped the misfire chance on that one, but only to the level that it should have been all along. I recall doing some minor fixes like that in a few spells as I was looking over other things.

At 186 Sorcery I would expect some misfires for an esoteric spell.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 09:20 PM CDT
Did your changes effect difficulty at all?

I'm noticing that, if I wait just 15 seconds for full prep, I can cast both FoU and HH. If I wait 30 seconds, I suddenly don't have enough skill.

I could just be at the cutoff point for the spells though, only 175 TM

Pants.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 09:44 PM CDT
>>Did your changes effect difficulty at all?

HH did get a little bump in difficulty, which might explain a slight difference. Oh, and I said misfire chance earlier regarding GHS, turns out for that one I actually had the difficulty raised significantly since it was set way too low for what it was. There's probably a few others that had minor changes, and I'm sorry I don't have a list of them offhand. I did most of that work a few weeks ago and was just holding out on the exp code to be QC'ed before release.

Oh, one other fix I forgot to mention. Spells in OM that can also be cast at objects won't do weird things now. So GG if stored in an orb can be cast again for making drinks, Bless stored in OM can be used to bless water, etc. They should still just make your orb flash if you try and cast them on yourself when you already have a version stored in the orb.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 10:05 PM CDT
As long as you're digging in spell code; any chance we could get some kind of indicator for how much mana spells in the orb are draining? Or maybe a message when we place it in the orb?
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 10:50 PM CDT
>>any chance we could get some kind of indicator for how much mana spells in the orb are draining?

There are a number of nice perks that OM offers in 3.0, I'd be reluctant to remove any of its current drawbacks.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/21/2013 10:57 PM CDT
I don't really consider something that falls under the purview of PAFO to be a draw back, but fair enough. Like I said, I love Cleric magic 3.0, was just wondering about some increased transparency.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 01:06 AM CDT

Thanks for the response re: Malediction duration, and also for mentioning that the issue of duration for debuffs is still being considered.

I will just state my case once more that I think that debuffs are different from stuns/immobilizers in that debuffs don't prevent any or most actions, and short duration debuffs really make them almost useless as a tool to defend better against a foe. Works okay with cyclic area affect because it keeps hitting them often enough to use that way.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 05:21 AM CDT
>>I will just state my case once more that I think that debuffs are different from stuns/immobilizers in that debuffs don't prevent any or most actions, and short duration debuffs really make them almost useless as a tool to defend better against a foe. Works okay with cyclic area affect because it keeps hitting them often enough to use that way.

I'd like to second this. If anything, can Cleric debuffs have a longer duration by default and "greatly reduced duration" be some add-on to Hydra Hex itself? Currently single-target debuffs are very close to useless for how long they last unless it's several people converging on one monster, which is a very niche circumstance.

Most others guilds' debilitation spells last massively longer. If we're forced to use our cyclic slot to reliably keep one debuff up (at greatly reduced potency, at that), it actually turns into a pretty notable disadvantage. You could keep recasting the debuff, except that's virtually 50% your casting time dedicated to just that, which is easily several times more than the time any other guild would spend.

Also, out of curiosity, is it intentional that Malediction directly impacts combat exp gain? It seems a bit strange that buff/debuff spells would effect exp gain at all.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 07:59 AM CDT
>If we're forced to use our cyclic slot to reliably keep one debuff up
The only two cyclics worth putting up would be SA or GhS. You don't have to keep debuffs up, but if this is what you want to do, I feel the trade off is worthwhile. If you're intent on keeping a debuff up, and still running a cyclic, pick up a scroll spell?

Insofar as training is concerned, HYH makes Debilitation a breeze, and constantly hitting everything at melee with a potent debuff is a pretty amazing ability.

>Also, out of curiosity, is it intentional that Malediction directly impacts combat exp gain? It seems a bit strange that buff/debuff spells would effect exp gain at all.

Does it? I'm running some tests now to look at xp gain as a function of swings/kills in a normal hunting routine with various buffs, but haven't gotten to the Cleric yet.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 10:47 AM CDT
I only see it effecting exp gain, due to the accuracy aspect. If you don't hit it, you aren't going to gain as much, so it would bolster it. I assuming you seeing less learning, which would be certainly interesting to find out.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 10:50 AM CDT
>>Most others guilds' debilitation spells last massively longer.

I'm not sure what debilitation spells your talking about. With the exception of other cyclic style debilitation spells (like HyH), all other debilitation spells I've looked at have exactly the same duration range.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 10:57 AM CDT
I personaly like he range of 30 to 90 seconds. I do agree that four minutes was abit high, but don't get me long, I sure did love those 4 minute hulps, and cozs. I wish male still increased damage to the target, and decreased damage of output hits of the target rather than accuracy, but then this could fall to much into COZ. I assume the choice was made correclty to go with accuracy.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 12:49 PM CDT

Let me try this another way- from my perspective HyH works wonderfully- teaches well and allows Flavius to use Malediction to increase his defenses by continually reducing the offense of his attackers- this is very useful. I have done the same thing with COZ against weapon using creatures.

But straight casts of Malediction or COZ? I never use them. I wouldn't bother with HULP either, unless I was engaging a single magic using creature- if I needed HULP to successfully protect against a creature, I couldn't keep more than one HULP'd.

Does anyone use straight casts of Mal or COZ or HULP against creatures?

If you do, please share how you are using them.

From my perspective these are potentially useful spells, but short duration of the effect and the long prep time mean the only use I can see is for attacking a single creature to get passed their defenses.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 03:08 PM CDT

>> Does anyone use straight casts of Mal or COZ or HULP against creatures?

I use straight Male (Cast defense) whenever I'm back training weapons or can't quite hit the current monster I'm fighting. That being said, I can't use Hydra Hex yet so I'm not sure if Hydra Hex Male is always better.

However, Hydra Hex + Male seems a bit overkill when I just need a 2-3 single casts per creature. With a 4-5 second prep time I'm fairly happy with this.

I also see single target Male being useful when one is hunting in a ranged/TM area and needs to take advantage of Ghost shroud. Or if they are killing with soul attrition.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 03:08 PM CDT
>>The only two cyclics worth putting up would be SA or GhS. You don't have to keep debuffs up, but if this is what you want to do, I feel the trade off is worthwhile. If you're intent on keeping a debuff up, and still running a cyclic, pick up a scroll spell?

Insofar as training is concerned, HYH makes Debilitation a breeze, and constantly hitting everything at melee with a potent debuff is a pretty amazing ability.<<

Locking Debilitation easily is a nice perk, but being able to use it without it having that downside would be better. If you're a long-term hunter or use combat scripts then it's a bit easy to overlook, but I can say I'm locking my primary/secondary weapons, Tactics and TM all before any of my defenses reach 20/34. It also caused SACRIFICE to fail on occasion due to the monster being too weak (Sky Giants), but I haven't seen it happen after the spell adjustment.

>>I'm not sure what debilitation spells your talking about. With the exception of other cyclic style debilitation spells (like HyH), all other debilitation spells I've looked at have exactly the same duration range.

Lethargy, Mark of Arhat, Burden all last for several minutes. I could try to find more but this gave me the impression that outside immobilizers/stunners, Clerics were the only one with the incredibly short debuff duration. My apologies if I was mistaken.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 04:50 PM CDT

>>Malediction - This one was doing waaaay to much. It now only affects melee and ranged accuracy, rather than accuracy and damage. Also instead of being twice as strong when cast on a single aspect, it is half as strong when cast on both.

I'd like to see about having this reevaluated. I think having it all cut in half was too much of a jump, but it's previous form was doing "too much", as you mentioned. Maybe instead of 2x on a single and full on both, maybe 1.5x on a single and .75 on both, running the same formula. Or perhaps add in an evil/undead aspect - get a boost to malediction on evil/undead while having it run normal (it's current form) on regular critters.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 04:58 PM CDT
When fighting a critter with weapons/armor, is CoZ better to use than Malediction?
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 05:27 PM CDT

>>When fighting a critter with weapons/armor, is CoZ better to use than Malediction?

Currently weighing that out. I believe, in Mal's now "nerfed" form, COZ is better to use.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 06:16 PM CDT
I look at it this way: clerics have a continual AOE debilitation. Runs forever, very powerful. The single-target version is weaksauce in comparison. No other guild has an aoe cyclic debilitation, that I know of, so theirs last longer. It's a valid trade off, and makes you weight the benefit of each cyclic, rather than just going 'always keep A going and just spam B'.

Pants.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 06:24 PM CDT
>DR - A bug with full target weirdness was fixed.

Was it? I'm still seeing a few oddities with this spell. You still have to cast before you get the full target message or it defaults to a self-cast, and it gives you both the targeting pattern message and the fully prepared message if you wait long enough. Using 'target' instead of 'prep' doesn't even attempt to target the spell - it just prepares it normally.

Short log to demonstrate:

>prep dr 10
You begin chanting a psalm to invoke the Divine Radiance spell.
>targ
You begin to weave mana lines into a target pattern around a blue-belly crocodile.

Your formation of a targeting pattern around a blue-belly crocodile has completed.
(a few seconds later)
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.

>cast
You gesture.
A glowing aura surrounds you.

>targ dr 10
You begin chanting a psalm to invoke the Divine Radiance spell.

>cast
You gesture.
The glowing aura fades from around you.
A glowing aura surrounds you.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 08:11 PM CDT
>>Was it? I'm still seeing a few oddities with this spell.

Oops, forgot to send that update over. Should be working now.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/22/2013 08:41 PM CDT
>No other guild has an aoe cyclic debilitation

Well, bards have a few.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/23/2013 07:03 PM CDT

not a fan of the lowered OM infuse. Perhaps it could be adjusted to be skill based? Someone with 1000+ magics should be able to infuse more percentage-wise then someone with 200's. The res+some mems is pretty awesome. I have to agree with the other posters that the single target debuffs are pretty useless. I haven't used any of them except hulp since 3.0 came out and only then in spars, never on critters.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/24/2013 01:09 AM CDT
>>OM infuse. Perhaps it could be adjusted to be skill based?

It is skill based.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/24/2013 02:54 AM CDT

well then it needs a bit more adjusting...if a 100 prep om takes me (magics in the 900's) 20 sec to prep and another 20 second RT after said cast....and I can run up infuses of 50(so 25 mana) at 3 RT...I think the entire OM thing is self defeating. I can do 100 mana in 40 seconds casting OM...or 150 in 18 seconds with infuse

not sure why there was any adjustment on this at all. forcing smaller players to use OM and older players(meaning skills) to have to adjust to something that wasn't broke just seems like overkill. you are at x ranks, you can infuse y mana makes a ton more sense then, everyone can only infuse the same amount of mana. You've been in game a month and have such and such...you can infuse a lil over half. You've been in game 10 years and have skills 1000 ranks higher....you can infuse a lil over half.

should have a scale...x ranks means you can infuse 30%...y ranks means 50%...z ranks is 75%
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/24/2013 03:19 AM CDT
This might have something to do with the really silly change Socharis made to cambrinth charging. He on the fly changed cambrinth charging RT to not scale with Arcana ranks during the few couple weeks of 3.0.

I really wish he had thought that through. It's really terrible now.
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/24/2013 04:44 AM CDT
>>I can do 100 mana in 40 seconds casting OM...or 150 in 18 seconds with infuse

First off, since you aren't even attempting your personal cap for OM, you can cast it before the 20 second prep is done. Given your skills, at 100 mana (50 prep/50 harness), 16-17 seconds was good enough, and then it's 11 seconds RT not 20 at your level. That makes it 28 seconds not 40.

So 2 chunks of 50 mana taking 28 seconds vs 4 chunks of 50 mana in 12 seconds for infuse (assuming a 50% efficiency which is also wrong). Even with the wrong efficiency that leaves casting OM taking a little more than twice as long for half the mana investment, which is exactly how it's supposed to work.

>>I think the entire OM thing is self defeating.

Then don't use it.

>>not sure why there was any adjustment on this at all.

Because infusion was a little too good compared to straight casting. This is also why the mana cap for OM was raised to 200 a month or so ago, so that even at lower skill you can use larger chunks of mana for the longer RT cost, and at higher skill when your orb is much bigger, you can get more filling power in one cast.

>>should have a scale

There is a scale.

>>You've been in game a month and have such and such...you can infuse a lil over half. You've been in game 10 years and have skills 1000 ranks higher....you can infuse a lil over half.

And the messaging for that scale has ranges. You've gone from being almost always in one range (roughly three-fourths), to being in the one under it (a bit more than half) with the occasion to be back in your original range. Even if you exaggerate this issue with the claim that someone a month in is in the same range as you are (which would require at least 500 ranks of Arcana), it doesn't diminish the fact that the verbal ranges could use a touch up. Tightening up the messaging ranges isn't a big deal, and considering that OM scales over such a large skill range, it's good to have more milestones to reach, so that's done.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Some cleric spell changes 04/24/2013 01:25 PM CDT
I assume the spell is using Utility skill, which just deteremines how much mana we can cast om at. Infusing is purely using arcana? Maybe with a minor utility adjustment? I guess the first part of an infuse is using attunement, since its harnessing the mana for you. Reason I ask, just want to make sure I am, and everyone is on the same page as far as what skills are exactly being used and in what part. Help us get a better idea of things.
Prev_page Previous 1