Mini meeting? 10/29/2012 09:02 PM CDT
Ricinus had mentioned a mini meeting in prime, I wasn't able to attend due to some RL stuff.

What was covered?

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Mini meeting? 10/29/2012 10:18 PM CDT
It was a bit of a focus group centered on discussing the idea of removing the saferoom mechanic from the Meraud commune. This was merely a chance to get player input on the idea, and not an indication that it would specifically change to that. The highlights of the idea go as follows:

- Meraud's consecration would no longer make rooms safe, and Clerics would no longer get devotion tanked if they killed someone in that consecrated area (regular altars will still do this).

- Saferoom mechanics would likely end up in a different commune that would come out after X3 associated with some light aspect.

- The Meraud commune would end up with a new feature to it, preferably sometime 'Meraudish', and while nothing was mentioned specifically I have a few possibilities floating out there.

- The mana boost provided would still be there, although I may scale it a little based on skill.

- Clerics would still be able to perform a limited set of rituals in the area.

- Devotion cost would probably be reduced a little.

This idea is being considered to give Clerics in 3.0 a little bit more room to build devotion/train theurgy while they do other things and to give Clerics more opportunities to use this commune aside from just as a training method. It may not happen, but I needed to see how attached folks were to the saferoom mechanics part of the commune before deciding if it was a good enough idea to move forward with. My original plan was to move forward with this sort of idea at the same time as creating a new commune to take over the old functionality, but there just isn't time to do both right now and I think these changes are more important right now than the saferoom function.

A few other things mentioned were the new incense ritual, and a few more ritual improvements coming soon.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Mini meeting? 10/29/2012 10:26 PM CDT
Sweet. You can probably guess where I stand, but I'm completely fine with losing the safe room and similar mechanics attached to the current commune. And pretty much everything you outlined.

Sorry I couldn't make it.

Re: Mini meeting? 10/29/2012 11:05 PM CDT

I love the safe room mechanic only because of the whining by non-clerics about it. I love being threatened for using that commune.

But it would be far more useful to be able to boost the mana in a room we could actually hunt in.
Re: Mini meeting? 10/30/2012 08:27 AM CDT
back in the day I hated the commune because it meant you couldn't steal in the room. now.... i simply don't care one way or the other.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Mini meeting? 10/30/2012 09:11 AM CDT
This probably isn't too surprising, but I like the idea. When 3.0 comes out I'd much rather another trainer than a safe-roomer. Mostly this is because I foresee an Elanthia full of safe rooms as hl clerics cast it simply to train. I hate to see the functionality go and am glad there is thought of putting it into another future ability.

Nikpack
Re: Mini meeting? 10/30/2012 10:30 AM CDT
>I needed to see how attached folks were to the saferoom mechanics part of the commune before deciding if it was a good enough idea to move forward with

I'm very attached to the saferoom mechanics as I've used it in invasions to make an instant triage room in the middle of a swarm of critters. I don't care if it's attached to Meraud's specifically.

>I hated the commune because it meant you couldn't steal in the room

All the more reason I love it. Nothing ticks me off more in game than getting stolen from with no recourse on my Empaths, Trader, or Cleric. I'd rather get murdered and know who did it and recover faster than get multiple plat tips stolen.

That said, I have never dropped the commune to stop stealing. The cost is hefty enough that I only reserve it for invasion triaging.

If, as I understand it, you are proposing that Meraud's Commune gets split into two cheaper communes, one boosting mana and "something 'Meraud'ish", and one that makes a Saferoom (Commune Chadatru?), then sure, go for it.

>A few other things mentioned were the new incense ritual

I'm in the dark on this one.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Mini meeting? 10/30/2012 11:45 AM CDT
>>If, as I understand it, you are proposing that Meraud's Commune gets split into two cheaper communes, one boosting mana and "something 'Meraud'ish", and one that makes a Saferoom (Commune Chadatru?), then sure, go for it.

Close, though there are a few things to clarify from this. First, my plan is to change Meraud in time for X3 to hit, and the saferoom mechanics will be part of a new consecration-style commune at a later date. I wish I could give specifics on a time frame for this, but it's way too early to tell. I will say that I don't like the idea of taking things away from players, so getting that ability back up and running will be a priority. The plan is that this new commune would be geared toward a Light aspect, most likely Peri'el. It will also allow rituals, and will probably not boost mana, though it may have an additional effect or a lesser cost. The new Meraud's commune will probably only be reduced in cost a little, as it will be gaining some things in return for what it would lose.

The reason I want to move on this is because in X3 you will need to be using communes and rituals much more regularly than you are used to, and anything I can do to make rituals more available and communes more beneficial to players when X3 hits, the more enjoyment you all are going to get from the absolute ton of stuff that X3 improves on.

>>Incense ritual.

Just a very quick basic ritual I added that will show up with X3 and is Neutral aligned. You wave some incense over an altar/prayer mat and get a little devotion. There is a Dark aligned version of this that requires the use of a specifically prepared stick of incense and awards a bit more devotion, but that's a secret right now.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Mini meeting? 10/30/2012 02:50 PM CDT
>First, my plan is to change Meraud in time for X3 to hit, and the saferoom mechanics will be part of a new consecration-style commune at a later date.

>I wish I could give specifics on a time frame for this, but it's way too early to tell. I will say that I don't like the idea of taking things away from players, so getting that ability back up and running will be a priority.

I understand your reasoning, but safe room creation is one of my favorite abilities as a cleric. Sometimes you really just need a script sanctuary away from would-be murderers. (Just one of the various applications, of course.) I'm very wary of "Just let me have this for now, promise you'll get it back" given dev history in general. I remember the Truffenyi commune was "nearly finished" for like a year, or more, before it came out? Not meaning to be a knock at all, just an instance of how things often take longer than they're portrayed. So it makes me nervous.

And in the spirit of making communes easier to work with: since we're getting a water creation ability, can we do anything about making incense less annoying? I don't believe lighters are widely available, and the steps involved in lighting it with flint incense me. Maybe give us a fiery Glythtide booze belch commune or something.
Re: Mini meeting? 10/30/2012 02:59 PM CDT

Ricinus, I appreciate your feedback but when you say only a little is being taken away from Meraud's....well the only reason I use Meraud's in the very rare occasions I do is for the mana boost or the safe room mechanics.

The parts that are left have been so unimportant to me that I forget they even exist. And for those of us who have prayer mats...well would the new Meraud have any functionality beyond the prayer mats?

My concern with what I think I understand the new Merauds to be is that is seems circular.

New communes need rituals more often. Meraud's commune makes it easier to do rituals.
Re: Mini meeting? 10/30/2012 04:08 PM CDT
<<My concern with what I think I understand the new Merauds to be is that is seems circular.

<<New communes need rituals more often. Meraud's commune makes it easier to do rituals.

I think the discrepancy is in the term ritual, which in Magic 3.0 represents a type of spell. So what I understand is that this new commune might help in the cast of these magic spells that are rituals (e.g. MF or POM)

Nikpack
Re: Mini meeting? 10/30/2012 04:22 PM CDT
>>things often take longer than they're portrayed.

Fair enough. But worse case scenario: For a year would you rather have a commune that trains a skill you need to circle, and is useful daily, or a commune that is useful once a week that you end up using daily just to train? I'd really be kicking myself if it took a year to get this promise delivered, but I think on any time scale the benefits of the proposal outweigh the drawbacks.

>>making incense less annoying?

Already have an approved idea for just this.

>>the only reason I use Meraud's in the very rare occasions I do is for the mana boost or the safe room mechanics.

And it's exactly this reason why it doesn't make for a very good commune when doing communes is what is used to train Theurgy. In X3 right now, the Meraud commune, because it has the biggest devotion cost is also the best trainer of Theurgy. Without this change people will use it to train Theurgy, but it will mostly be to consecrate some room somewhere then walk away to go do rituals at an altar where the most devotion can be gained back. With this change, a cleric will be able to boost the mana in their hunting area, and have a few more devotion/theurgy options available to do while hunting.

>>would the new Meraud have any functionality beyond the prayer mats?

There already is functionality that Meraud brings that can't be done with prayer mats, and the plan is to expand at least slightly on this. One thing I don't want is the ability to completely bypass the rituals that have to be done at altars, or have so many rituals that can be done on consecrated ground that the devotion lost from doing the commune can be too quickly regained at that one spot. Aside from that, I'm trying to add in a new ability to Meraud that hasn't ever been done before.

>>New communes need rituals more often. Meraud's commune makes it easier to do rituals.

If the design decisions and this plan were being made simultaneously I could agree. Really, this plan is being presented to compensate what we're seeing as people train the new Theurgy skill. Meraud's commune as you know it makes sense in a world where Theurgy doesn't exist; it's far too niche in a world where there are limited communes and the need to use them. Since the design isn't going to change, we need to make the parts fit better around it. Other communes will change as well, but I'd like to get this one done as it will have the most impact on the 'how' of training theurgy as well as the 'where'.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Mini meeting? 10/30/2012 04:26 PM CDT
>>this new commune might help in the cast of these magic spells that are rituals

Nope, I mean the type of rituals that clerics gain devotion from not ritual spells.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Mini meeting? 10/30/2012 05:04 PM CDT
I've been trying to refer to 'devotion rituals' as 'devotionals' and magic rituals as rituals, just to try and clear the terminology, personally.

And I'll reinforce what Ricinus said about Meraud; it's by far the best single-shot trainer of theurgy in plat, and it's probably going to lead to a lot of randomly safe/etc. rooms with no notice unless a cleric checks it, and the timer is pretty long.

Re: Mini meeting? 10/31/2012 11:12 AM CDT

Okay- I think I misunderstood and thought the mana boost was being taken away from Meraud's.

If the mana boost is being kept, and safe room mechanics taken away, so it can be used in a hunting area- I am all for it.
Re: Mini meeting? 10/31/2012 05:16 PM CDT
>Already have an approved idea for just this.

You get a stick of incense.
COMMUNE USHNISH
The incense in your right hand bursts into a pyre
WAVE incense
You wave some sweet-smelling ash around
SPRINKLE water
COMMUNE MERAUD

Heheh.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Mini meeting? 10/31/2012 08:36 PM CDT
You laugh.

I wouldn't put that past him.

Re: Mini meeting? 10/31/2012 11:19 PM CDT
>>The incense and your right hand bursts into a pyre

FTFY

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Mini meeting? 11/01/2012 09:22 AM CDT

Don't tempt Ricinus, he's crafty.
Re: Mini meeting? 11/02/2012 08:18 PM CDT
>For a year would you rather have a commune that trains a skill you need to circle, and is useful daily, or a commune that is useful once a week that you end up using daily just to train? I'd really be kicking myself if it took a year to get this promise delivered, but I think on any time scale the benefits of the proposal outweigh the drawbacks.

Well, now that I've marooned myself on script island I don't use the commune nearly as often as I used to on the mainland, since interpersonal conflicts tend to take a backseat to number pumping. So I guess I'm leaning more indifferent. Your relative assurance that it won't take a year is good to hear. I can trust your design decision. I just hope that a replacement ability is fast tracked. At the surface it doesn't seem like it would be that intensive to code, at least.
Re: Mini meeting? 11/02/2012 09:13 PM CDT
Well, it's the quests more than the abilities that can be a lot to put together. But yeah, fast track is the plan.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: Mini meeting? 11/02/2012 09:16 PM CDT
I'm all for putting abilities in then backtracking the quests at some point later.